Currency rates between worlds that are included

Dragoncat

Master Hand would definitely have to pay the smash fighters, and of course, it would be in a lot of different currencies. Coins, rupees, gold, pokedollars...

I guess this thread is to discuss that idea and come up with currency conversion rates if you want.

Emblem Gold = yen

Xeno Gold = pound

So depending on the conversion rates between yen and pounds, either Shulk or Ike could visit the other's world and buy out a whole shop because his "gold" is worth more.

Rupees would be the same as rupees in India because they're called the same thing. I guess. They also look like gems, so cue Shulk sticking a rupee in a slot on the Monado and wondering why nothing seems to be happening/he's not getting any boosts.

A lot of amusing situations could happen here. Yeah. Discuss.

In Pikmin 2's opening, there's a comment about 100 Pokos being more than a yearly salary, presumably referring to employees of Hocotate Freight.

The President of Hocotate Freight is a Mr. Krabs-esque slavedriving cheapskate so we don't know exactly how much a "normal" yearly salary for a freight shipping job would be, however. If we're generous, we could assume 100 Pokos to be about the equivalent of $30,000, perhaps.

34 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

In Pikmin 2's opening, there's a comment about 100 Pokos being more than a yearly salary, presumably referring to employees of Hocotate Freight.

The President of Hocotate Freight is a Mr. Krabs-esque slavedriving cheapskate so we don't know exactly how much a "normal" yearly salary for a freight shipping job would be, however. If we're generous, we could assume 100 Pokos to be about the equivalent of $30,000, perhaps.

Nice! I forgot about Pikmin. Add pokos to the list.

Sonic would have to keep at least one gold ring to avoid being  dead  broke. Which may pose trouble for exact transactions.

Edited by Karimlan

12 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Master Hand would definitely have to pay the smash fighters, and of course, it would be in a lot of different currencies. Coins, rupees, gold, pokedollars...

I guess this thread is to discuss that idea and come up with currency conversion rates if you want.

Emblem Gold = yen

Xeno Gold = pound

So depending on the conversion rates between yen and pounds, either Shulk or Ike could visit the other's world and buy out a whole shop because his "gold" is worth more.

Rupees would be the same as rupees in India because they're called the same thing. I guess. They also look like gems, so cue Shulk sticking a rupee in a slot on the Monado and wondering why nothing seems to be happening/he's not getting any boosts.

A lot of amusing situations could happen here. Yeah. Discuss.

That's not really how currency rates work, unless you're suggesting Ike/Shulk are lying about the value of their money and commit fraud.

10 hours ago, Karimlan said:

Sonic would have to keep at least one gold ring to avoid being  dead  broke. Which may pose trouble for exact transactions.

Fortunately a lot of things cost X:99 to trick consumers into thinking the price is lower than it is.

Edited by Jotari

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's not really how currency rates work, unless you're suggesting Ike/Shulk are lying about the value of their money and commit fraud.

My apologies, I wasn't aware. I admit I was exaggerating.

So how would it work realistically? What's the conversion between yen and pound?

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

My apologies, I wasn't aware. I admit I was exaggerating.

So how would it work realistically? What's the conversion between yen and pound?

1 pound = 145 yen. That doesn't mean you can buy 145 chocolate bars with one pound if you go to Japan though, as chocolate bars over there cost 145 yen (or approximately close enough). Your money can go further depending on the country, but it depends on the overall strength of the country's economy, and more importantly, how much that country chooses to tax stuff and how much supply and demand there is for certain products. For example, when I was living in China I could take an hour long bus journey for the equivalent of forty cent, but a carton of milk would cost almost two euro.

A case could be made for gold between Fire Emblem/Xenoblade if they're dealing in ounces pure gold. But that wouldn't mean they're money was worth more. They would just have more of the exact same money due to gold being a less scarce commodity in their universe. So bringing it en mass to the other universe would destabilise the entire economy of the world where gold is rarer.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

1 pound = 145 yen. That doesn't mean you can buy 145 chocolate bars with one pound if you go to Japan though, as chocolate bars over there cost 145 yen (or approximately close enough). Your money can go further depending on the country, but it depends on the overall strength of the country's economy, and more importantly, how much that country chooses to tax stuff and how much supply and demand there is for certain products. For example, when I was living in China I could take an hour long bus journey for the equivalent of forty cent, but a carton of milk would cost almost two euro.

A case could be made for gold between Fire Emblem/Xenoblade if they're dealing in ounces pure gold. But that wouldn't mean they're money was worth more. They would just have more of the exact same money due to gold being a less scarce commodity in their universe. So bringing it en mass to the other universe would destabilise the entire economy of the world where gold is rarer.

Okay, thanks for that. It's a hypothetical situation at the end of the day, but it helps to throw some realism into it. And I don't think anybody is bringing gold "en mass" like a ton of it, just maybe like enough to fill a wallet/coin pouch.

Maybe what would be a bigger issue is bringing freaking GUNS to Tellius. Talk about destabilizing? Squarestache or somebody could mow down an entire army by himself lol. There's a reason the hub portals don't allow bringing objects through them like that.

@Purple Mage "Can I have 20 bucks" "Get a job sir" "There's no bathroom" "That's crap" lol that's gold. Pun completely intended.

Edited by Dragoncat

14 hours ago, Purple Mage said:

Advance Wars Credits to Fire Emblem Gold:

TotallyFlaked37.png

Yes, this is included in Smash. Olaf (that Santa-looking fellow) is a spirit in Smash Ultimate.

"Get a job, sir."

Wait, the army doesn't pay him?

I always figure that most games base their prices for things on yen. Like, 100 gold for a potion? That's 100 yen, makes sense to me. Harvest Moon/Rune Factory in particular, where a bag of seeds is like 200g (so 200 yen, or around $1.75), and each vegetable is 60g (60 yen, or like 50 cents). A little inflated, but pretty close.

In EarthBound, some of the food items have pretty realistic values depending on where you would get them in the real world. $6 for a coffee is a little more than what you'd pay for something special at Starbucks, and $14 for a hamburger is pretty normal for restaurants that aren't fast food. Things get weirdly pricey the further you get in, but it's an RPG, so whatcha gonna do

2 hours ago, Johann said:

I always figure that most games base their prices for things on yen. Like, 100 gold for a potion? That's 100 yen, makes sense to me. Harvest Moon/Rune Factory in particular, where a bag of seeds is like 200g (so 200 yen, or around $1.75), and each vegetable is 60g (60 yen, or like 50 cents). A little inflated, but pretty close.

In EarthBound, some of the food items have pretty realistic values depending on where you would get them in the real world. $6 for a coffee is a little more than what you'd pay for something special at Starbucks, and $14 for a hamburger is pretty normal for restaurants that aren't fast food. Things get weirdly pricey the further you get in, but it's an RPG, so whatcha gonna do

In 1996 when Earthbound was released, 6 dollars would be the equivalent of ten dollars in 2018 money. So the world has gradually grown to make Earthbound more realistic rather than it being designed that way.

Sonic and Bayonetta share a currency in Rings/Halos. But Sonic had better save up if he's invited to the Gates of Hell. He probably keeps a cumulative 1000 rings at the end of an average adventure, and that's only enough to buy him a small, restorative lollipop. Not exactly a chili dog. He'd need tens of thousands if he wanted a sweet set of guns, katanas, new technique, or health upgrade.

Pit and the Belmonts also sort of share a currency in hearts. Though the actual currency of the Castlevania universe is just bags of nondescript money while hearts are more like a source of mana. But the Belmonts could probably buy something small from the Kid Icarus universe. Side note: Magnus kind of looks like a long lost member of the Belmont clan.

Pac-Man and the Ice Climbers could probably vacation in each other's worlds as the only known currencies I can think of is just fruits and veggies. Both games are just never ending quests for more food.