When CYL3 comes around, who will you guys vote for?

Gregster101

2 hours ago, Zeo said:

Realistically, Marth and Alm are going to win the male spots pretty much guaranteed and for whatever reason Camilla will probably still win a female spot which sucks so I'm not all that invested honestly.

I don't know man, I feel Eliwood in particular has a fair shot. He wasn't that popular in the other CYLs but this time he doesn't have competition within his own fanbase (no Lyn/Hector/Roy to vote for) and FE7 has a lot of nostalgia around it, and a lot of people who seem to only like that game or something.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Zeo said:

Realistically, Marth and Alm are going to win the male spots pretty much guaranteed and for whatever reason Camilla will probably still win a female spot which sucks so I'm not all that invested honestly.

Legendary Marth puts the whole guarantee thing on shaky ground. With their Marth fix satisfied, the Japanese will probably jump ship to someone else. Alm is possible but I can see people also jumping ship to Eliwood to complete the set. 

The race is still far too early to call in either division. Representation and saturation has alot to do with how people vote, and so do the new heroes. Where are all the votes that went to people like Leif, Owain, and Veronica going to go?. How much still will Eirika and Marth loose due to finally getting their legendaries? It's also important to remember that we're getting both Chrismas and New Years alts, so someone like Eirika could be getting 2 alts in a very short period of time which could cause people to go in another direction. We also might still have at least 2 legendaries to go since we don't know when the Jan hero (if there is one) will drop in relation to voting.

Then we have to consider the ramifications of the leaders being revealed part way through voting and the possibility of a banner dropping mid voting, both of which had a significant impact last time around.

Also if IS takes the plot of book 3 a bit more seriously (which there's some evidence of thankfully) a new OC could shake things up.

It's way too early to call anything

6 hours ago, Alkaid said:

That's what I honestly think happened. With the midterm results showing how surprisingly high she actually was, a lot of people shifted to voting for for her to see if they could push her through, and it worked. If not for that, I think she would have stayed below Camilla and Eirika. I don't think it was a matter of people trying to anti-vote Camilla(though it sounds like we're gonna have a fair amount of people doing that for CYL3..) People just got a heads up that voting to make Veronica playable wasn't just a meme and they actually had a chance. 

Yeah I think it was very surprising for many people, and at that point many had been waiting forever for Veronica and Bruno to be added. 

6 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Yeah I think it was very surprising for many people, and at that point many had been waiting forever for Veronica and Bruno to be added. 

Man, I have the same thing happens with Laegjarn 

I have a couple of heroes from Binding Blade and Genealogy on my mind, but since we don't have the Binding Blade GHB before the CYL3, I have to go and do the unreasonable, and spend most of my votes for Galle. There are 5 possible GHB characters from FE6, and Idunn and Brunnya seems more popular. Murdock would make sense, and nobody cares about Jahn.

And there's me already saving up to build a GHB Binding Blade character, thinking it'll be Galle. But need to think realistic, or I'd just get disappointment.

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

I have a couple of heroes from Binding Blade and Genealogy on my mind, but since we don't have the Binding Blade GHB before the CYL3, I have to go and do the unreasonable, and spend most of my votes for Galle. There are 5 possible GHB characters from FE6, and Idunn and Brunnya seems more popular. Murdock would make sense, and nobody cares about Jahn.

And there's me already saving up to build a GHB Binding Blade character, thinking it'll be Galle. But need to think realistic, or I'd just get disappointment.

I actually would like a Galle GHB too

22 hours ago, Icelerate said:

When did Deghinsea become popular because of memes? Also, the guy deserves that popularity. He's an interesting character with a great backstory which influences his worldview and actions. If it wasn't for me voting Micaiah every day, I'd consider voting for him as well. 

People throw meme accusations for popularity out all the time now... 

It also makes me want to rip my hair out when people say Mia/Lute/Joshua only got in thanks to the memes like Dorcas. Prety sure it was the xXl00t meme and Mia's... voice acting. But I don't even know what memes were associated with Joshua?

Maybe I'm an odd ball since I legitimately like all three characters, of which all three helped carry their respective playthroughs for me. Never once did I associate my fondness for them due to memes and yet I see the claim for their popularity being attributed to memes thrown around so much I have no idea anymore.

48 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I actually would like a Galle GHB too

Does that mean you give him 2 votes? It is actually funny to see that in both CYL Galle got better results than Murdock.

34 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Does that mean you give him 2 votes? It is actually funny to see that in both CYL Galle got better results than Murdock.

Oh no I'm not voting for Galle, I'm just saying that I wouldn't mind him having a GHB when the FE6 banner comes around

1 hour ago, TheWill said:

It also makes me want to rip my hair out when people say Mia/Lute/Joshua only got in thanks to the memes like Dorcas. Prety sure it was the xXl00t meme and Mia's... voice acting. But I don't even know what memes were associated with Joshua?

Maybe I'm an odd ball since I legitimately like all three characters, of which all three helped carry their respective playthroughs for me. Never once did I associate my fondness for them due to memes and yet I see the claim for their popularity being attributed to memes thrown around so much I have no idea anymore.

I’m pretty sure Joshua and Mia are legitimately popular, especially the lattter who managed to stay within the top 20 for females. Lute and Dorcas plummeted once they were actually in the game though, so I do think there were meme campaigns behind them. 

And you’re right. Joshua never had a meme associated with him to begin with. He’s a legitimately liked as a character. Meanwhile, I don’t think Mia’s subpar acting in the Tellius games really stood out when nearly everyone sounded off. Hell, I’d say her voice is more infamous now than before CYL was even a thing. I think in Mia’s case people just liked her enthusiasm as well standing out among the Tellius females for having a more eye-catching design.

I can't help taking his kind of personally, especially since I was actually there for when RD was first released and remember these things from that time. Sorry if I'm being overly sensitive.

17 minutes ago, Silverly said:

I’m pretty sure Joshua and Mia are legitimately popular, especially the lattter who managed to stay within the top 20 for females. Lute and Dorcas plummeted once they were actually in the game though, so I do think there were meme campaigns behind them. 

And you’re right. Joshua never had a meme associated with him to begin with. He’s a legitimately liked as a character. Meanwhile, I don’t think Mia’s subpar acting in the Tellius games really stood out when nearly everyone sounded off. Hell, I’d say her voice is more infamous now than before CYL was even a thing. I think in Mia’s case people just liked her enthusiasm as well standing out among the Tellius females for having a more eye-catching design.

Yeah, I never knew of a Mia meme beyond being one of the less prominent VAing examples. If they just wanted an RD meme and nothing more, it would've definitely been Rolf's lines from the same scene.

Same on Joshua. From what I remember he was probably the most popular FE8 non-lord character.

@Lewyn I hope so. I can get being disappointed by a character winning (I know I was with Ephraim who ironically I really liked his brave form), but actively trying to undermine others votes seems petty.

Edited by bottlegnomes

My only concern is that my picks tend to be obscure, (current focus being Elena is a good example, and I voted for her in both previous CYL, though with less focus than I will be this time) and I'm worried that the game will end before they get in there. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind waiting 10+ years for the popular characters to get out of the running so that I can have the obscure units I like. Though, hopefully, it doesn't take that long.

Specifically, a CYL of Elena could be really cool. We know she uses a staff, but IS may give her a different weapon for her Brave version. (And it just hit me how much she deserves to be referred to as brave. She's so full of love that she becomes super selfless and courageous...) What costume would she get? One based off of Griel's usual mercenary clothes would be cute as heck, but they could pull from RD Mist's design, too. Or maybe she'll have something like one of Ike's outfits. Or, since she's so attuned to order, maybe she'll have something like Ashera's outfit? There are actually a lot of possibilities.

I'd be really happy if she winds up on a different banner, though. Like, one featuring Griel/Gawain, Elena, Almedha, and Ashnard (though I'd prefer it if Ashnard was a GHB.) I'd especially love it if these guys were featured in a Forging Bonds event. Of course, this also keeps bringing me back to how cool it would be to get a PoR prequel centering on Griel and Elena's flight from Daein. They already have an obvious main character and supporting healer, plus a lot of the challenges were already hinted at, and would develop that story so well. Besides, it'd be cool to have a FE focused on a couple that was already married at the start of the game. I would buy this game so fast...

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

I'd be really happy if she winds up on a different banner, though. Like, one featuring Griel/Gawain, Elena, Almedha, and Ashnard (though I'd prefer it if Ashnard was a GHB.) I'd especially love it if these guys were featured in a Forging Bonds event. Of course, this also keeps bringing me back to how cool it would be to get a PoR prequel centering on Griel and Elena's flight from Daein. They already have an obvious main character and supporting healer, plus a lot of the challenges were already hinted at, and would develop that story so well. Besides, it'd be cool to have a FE focused on a couple that was already married at the start of the game. I would buy this game so fast...

Tbh, I'm more interested in a PoR prequel with Zelgius as the protagonist instead of Greil, mainly just to see his rise into a villain by the end of the game.

32 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Tbh, I'm more interested in a PoR prequel with Zelgius as the protagonist instead of Greil, mainly just to see his rise into a villain by the end of the game.

That would be kickass. That would do wonders for him in the CYL after

40 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Either one sounds cool as hell to me. My only fear with either is that they'd welch out before the expected conclusion to maintain the image of a happy ending, leaving the sordid stuff as unchronicled stuff between games.

It'd be a downer ending regardless of who the protagonist is. In Greil's case it would be him accidentally murdering his wife while berserked, and in Zelgius' case it would be him putting on the Black Knight armor for the first time and let's out a big NOOOOOOOOOO like Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith :P

Hmm the Zelgius bit seems less like a complete FE game to me and more like a DLC story (like the forming of the Deliverance in SoV) or a parallel plot, since Griel was Zelgius' master while they lived in Daein. We know who Zelgius was serving (though I'll omit super spoilers for now) though I don't recall for how long. Could have been before or after Griel left. It's also implied that Zelgius was left behind when Griel and Elena fled the country. So, could be that Zelgius was an unwilling/semi-unwilling foe of Griel's, serving Daein (effectively, even if not really) in his pursuit. I can't see Zelgius being the main character gameplay-wise, (except maybe for certain maps, which wouldn't be to my taste, but IS has done that style before) but I could totally see him being a main character to the story, and even having cutscenes devoted to him and his development, while the central character and main lord would be Griel. The Zelgius sidestory would certainly make the game's story a lot richer, and (on a personal note) may help smooth over the bad taste RD left in my mouth, at least somewhat.

53 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Hmm the Zelgius bit seems less like a complete FE game to me and more like a DLC story (like the forming of the Deliverance in SoV) or a parallel plot, since Griel was Zelgius' master while they lived in Daein. We know who Zelgius was serving (though I'll omit super spoilers for now) though I don't recall for how long. Could have been before or after Griel left. It's also implied that Zelgius was left behind when Griel and Elena fled the country. So, could be that Zelgius was an unwilling/semi-unwilling foe of Griel's, serving Daein (effectively, even if not really) in his pursuit. I can't see Zelgius being the main character gameplay-wise, (except maybe for certain maps, which wouldn't be to my taste, but IS has done that style before) but I could totally see him being a main character to the story, and even having cutscenes devoted to him and his development, while the central character and main lord would be Griel. The Zelgius sidestory would certainly make the game's story a lot richer, and (on a personal note) may help smooth over the bad taste RD left in my mouth, at least somewhat.

I mean, I guess it wouldn't really matter who the central character of a PoR prequel would be, I'm just more partial to Zelgius that's all

@Gregster101 For sure. It'd give FE4 gen 1 a run for its money. That's what worries me a little though. I could totally see them making it some earlier events rhag are completely unrelated and have it ending with Greil becoming one of the 4 riders and everyone being happy, which'd feel like a huge cop out to me. But still, no matter what, some Tellius revisiting would be sweet.

9 hours ago, Silverly said:

To be fair, mostly every side character that are already in Heroes fell off in popularity. That's due to a higher number of votes going towards characters not in the game yet. And Lute did still score better than say... Cormag, who is also a pretty popular Sacred Stones character. There are a lot of non-"meme" characters that fell off as well, I think it's just a byproduct of how people are voting.

9 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

I can't help taking his kind of personally, especially since I was actually there for when RD was first released and remember these things from that time. Sorry if I'm being overly sensitive.

I'm really sorry! It was not at all meant to be a jab at anyone, I apologize for wording it the way I did. 

I predict the winners for CYL will be Marth/Alm and Micaiah/Erika/Camilla, I'll vote Micaiah to increase the chances of getting a brave hero version of a character I actually like for once 

To be fair, mostly every side character that are already in Heroes fell off in popularity. That's due to a higher number of votes going towards characters not in the game yet. And Lute did still score better than say... Cormag, who is also a pretty popular Sacred Stones character. There are a lot of non-"meme" characters that fell off as well, I think it's just a byproduct of how people are voting.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to imply people suddenly hated them. That was more meant as the assertions of everyone except Dorcas doing well because of memes really caught me by surprise. Lute just in general surprised me, but Joshua and Mia surprised me more that people thought they were popular because of memes than being legitimately popular characters.

I'm really sorry! It was not at all meant to be a jab at anyone, I apologize for wording it the way I did. 

I definitely took that unnecessarily personally; sorry for causing any drama. No hard feelings?

Marth is going to win for sure. Undoubtedly he's going to be the male winner & more than likely he'll 1st place overall.

Considering the sheer idiocy on how IS treats Alm he'll no doubt get 2nd place.

If there's anything I learn about people on the internet, they don't like be screw over & Marth & Alm got have been screwed over.

I wouldn't say that about Marth considering how many times he's been shilled & being Smash Bros, but I can't say the same about Alm.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:59 AM, SoulWeaver said:

None of the Cipher DLC characters were an option, which I only let go because Rowan, Lianna, and Darios weren't options either. Apparently they want to keep their spin-offs separate from each other, I guess. All the same, not being able to vote for Shade, Yuzu, Emma, or RandalLando is frustrating. I get Alice and Valjean not being included since they'd not been added to any games, and Nieve if memory serves didn't exist yet, but come on, IS, why not the four you actually DID add to a game?

I can't vote for any of the above but I can vote for "Brigand Boss". You see where I'm going with this right?

On 11/19/2018 at 7:49 AM, Mercakete said:

I wouldn't call it "propaganda," but raising awareness? Certainly. As for being realistic, it's not really idealism vs realism. It's a fact that if you don't vote for someone, that person has less votes than if you did. The idealism comes in at "this character is going to win!" which I'm not saying. Just saying that if everyone votes for who they think is the most popular, then that character will win and since the poll isn't asking that, (but rather who you, as an individual, would like in the game) it leads to more misinformation which IS looks at and makes decisions based off of. So, even if your favorite doesn't win, at least you answered the question honestly, and that character gains more representation than if you didn't.

Regarding memes, though, er… Not sure that's quite appropriate given the serious nature of her story. Of course, I may be misidentifying what a meme is. Aren't they nonserious in nature and often lead to (or are centered around) ridicule?

Actually I was referring to your quote to Mack2 but hey that works.

You could start whole "Elena rally" with something like "Behind every a good protagonist is a good mother" or something like that

Edited by Zangetsu

6 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

I can't vote for any of the above but I can vote for "Brigand Boss". You see where I'm going with this right?

...No, unless you're saying I should vote for Brigand Boss, in which case HAHAHAHAHAHAHAno.

Out of curiosity, are any of the other villain characters with names available in SoV's voting cast? I'd be down to see those Dread Fighters who only showed up in Duma's Level.