Unit borrowing? Good idea to implement or not?

Faellin

I was thinking, what if you could borrow units from friends. Something like every player can place 1 of their units in a pool that all of your friends can borrow. I know you can technically do this in squad assault and modes like that. But would it be a good or bad idea to expand on this for other modes? Even if its only for non competetive modes, something like this would be disabled for arena and other modes where your directly competeing against others for points and such. Basically being available for purely PVE stuff like grand hero battles and story battles.

I've always viewed PvE content as a sort of personal challenge for players to take on, or a test of skill if you will. Borrowing a friend's unit so you can complete something isn't a bad idea. It can help players get difficult content complete. The only problem I see with this is that it might take away the actual challenge of a challenge. I would assume it's optional though, so that last point can be disregarded if that's the case.

Anyway, it's a neat thought.

For me, the most interesting part of that is being able to "show off" more than one unit at a time. I don't think the friend unit mechanic is needed for those modes - story chapters are permanent and GHBs will be rerun so the players don't miss anything if they can't follow a F2P guide complete it first time around.

I think it can work. Can make it like your hero is actually visiting your friend's base - if you contribute a hero to be borrowed, you can't use it yourself, and only one friend can borrow it at a time. Using someone else's +10s to trivialize PvE content isn't really a big deal IMO since people can already do that by following video guides if they're so inclined. For the harder PvE modes like Abyssal maps, a single +10 isn't going to help you that much in clearing it anyway.

I think you mean Rival Domains, not Squad Assault.

In any case, I would like for there to be more ways to share your units with friends &c. than are currently implemented in the game. While I don't want sharing implemented for the current content that doesn't already include it (so no sharing for Story Mode or GHBs), I would like to see a new mode that features this. I would also like to see some reforms to the Voting Gauntlet, one of which would be the ability to choose which friend units you get to have on your team. I tend to just get the same 2-3 units for the entirety of a VG round, which gets lame after awhile. Part of the fun of the Voting Gauntlet was getting to play with a variety of different units with different builds, but now I never see that.

I would also like a showcase mode where you would select 5 units you wanted to put in your showcase. So these could be projects you're working on or have completed, and your friends could pick and choose some units from the showcase to take into some battles. I suggested something like this for that survey thing they had awhile back. They could establish an incentive structure which rewards you for playing with units from a variety of people, as opposed to simply just fielding the same +10 units from a single friend.

What if we had an event similar to tempest trials, but you form teams from your allies lead units? (A bit like the concept of Rival Domains, but applied to a Tempest Trial Format). That or maybe maps dedicated to using allies units similar to blessed gardens

Edited by Arcphoenix

It would be nice to have such a mode, especially one where instead of only using the lead units like in GC/RD/VG, all your friends would have a small pool of selected units they'd like to share, so you could use multiple from any friend.

I had a similar idea this week.

Why don't they let us put one friend ally on our team of 4? So far we can only use their help on brigade teams, which is kinda limited. I think letting you put 1 ally on your team is still a reasonable idea.

Edited by Garlyle

I play two gacha games that have this.  It's nice and allows for a bit of flexibility with teammaking that isn't rng reliant.  

They can simply ban it in arena/aether raids, that's what MagiReco does.  you can bring support to PvE but not PvP.

I agree with having a pool of representatives. It would also be nice to lock your representatives' builds just like in Aether Raids as well as being able to lock your friend's representative just for your own use. I have not updated my friend's representative list in ages because a lot them have Rallies and SP builds that are just not fun to use. I think I updated it my friends list around summer so I can play with ASS!Y!Tiki, but she got a Rally as the Assist instead of Reposition and it has been a pain in the ass using her.

I envision unit borrowing in FEH to be similar to Fate/Grand Order, so there will be one wildcard (the current showcase unit) and then one for each color (Red, Green, Blue, Colorless). As for their restrictions, I'm of the insane mindset of "open the floodgates" and allow everything. Heck, make a team full of supports (save for one member needs to be the player's own) if they want to. It's a great way to play with built units the player does not have access to or resources for. Arena defense will remain player-only without supports, but Arena offense can use supports. Tactical superiority should rule Arena and not how much one can invest into an Arena team.

Honestly though, they'll probably just keep it to the single showcase unit and restrict one support per team (unless its Rival Domains). PvP Support (Arena, Aether Raids) is likely disabled.