Hello Everyone!

msnmllr

Hi everyone, long time first time. I'm msnmllr, and this is my introduction to the boards! I first stumbled onto these boards after seeing Mangs play The Last Promise on YouTube and wanted to see what all was going on with the hack. I am currently getting my education in elementary education and am planning on teaching in central Texas, with the goal of trying to get my master's in academic administration. In my free time, I love doing volunteer work, being active in my college and Greek community, swimming, cooking, and playing lots and lots of video games. I have been playing Fire Emblem since '06, when I played my dad's copies of FE7 and FE8 on his Gameboy Advance, and also happen to be my favorite games in the series. I have played Shadow Dragon, Echoes, Binding Blade, Blazing Blade, the Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Awakening. Outside of the Fire Emblem series, I love playing pretty much any tactics-based game, Red Dead Redemption 2, any Bethesda game, and sports games.

Feel free to pick apart my brain down below!

Edited by msnmllr

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Welcome. 

How's Red Dead 2 treating you? 

For the most part, I like it a lot. I really love the scenery of the game. However, I have a few gripes

• It seems that the game is a bit too slow of a pace
  • The game is too buggy of a game for me to play the way I want to play
  • I really don't like the main character so far

In all honesty, I think I just have a natural instinct to compare every open world game to the Witcher 3, and I am always going to be disappointed because of how great that game is

13 minutes ago, msnmllr said:

For the most part, I like it a lot. I really love the scenery of the game. However, I have a few gripes

• It seems that the game is a bit too slow of a pace
  • The game is too buggy of a game for me to play the way I want to play
  • I really don't like the main character so far

In all honesty, I think I just have a natural instinct to compare every open world game to the Witcher 3, and I am always going to be disappointed because of how great that game is

I agree with the pacing. And the times where the game yanks control out of your hands and decides for itself the moments it wants you to be immersed in doesn't help. 

But overall I think the sandbox is a ton of fun, and I did enjoy the writing. 

As for Arthur... There are a few moments that seem really out of character. I know they deliberately made him more ambiguous than John Marston in RDR1, since I know a lot of people felt a little off-put by the fact you could murder a town full of people, then do a story mission where John was 100% a snarky good guy, but some moments with Arthur... 

Light early/mid-game spoilers

The missions for Strauss just have Arthur come off as a huge asshole. Most other missions in the game don't have Arthur draw a line in the sand when it comes to morality, which makes it easier to justify playing Arthur as a good or bad guy. But then you get to these Strauss missions, and he's beating up the sick, robbing struggling immigrants, and extorting widows for money, and it's really hard to picture Arthur as a good guy, leading to the inverse problem of John in RDR1.

I still like Arthur on the whole, it just makes it difficult to get behind him sometimes. 

And yeah, The Witcher 3 is probably the best open world game of the last few years, and with it being so structurally similar to many of them, it's tough to see it getting dethroned, even by something like RDR2. 

Edited by Slumber