World of Light Discussion/Hype Check

Zapp Branniglenn

World of Light  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Hype Check: World of Light?

• aaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHH
    • Oh cool, I wasn't holding out hope for an adventure mode so this is a nice surprise.
    • Meh, it's just event matches
  2. 2. Coolest feature in World of Light?

• Non linear routes to explore
    • RPG elements via equipping Spirits and filling in the Skill Tree
    • Spirit Battles
    • The Story/Cutscenes
  3. 3. After saving Mario, you have a fork in the road where one choice locks out the other two for later. Which route will you take?

• Northern Route (confirmed unlockable characters: Sheik, Mii Swordfighter)
    • Eastern Route (confirmed unlockable characters: Villager, Captain Falcon)
    • Western Route (confirmed unlockable characters: Marth)
    • I...might wait for a spoiler free guide for the characters I want most.
  4. 4. If you played only this mode, how long would you prefer it to take in order to nab each character and complete the main objectives on the way to the final boss?

• No more than two hours
    • 2-5 hours
    • 5-8 hours
    • 8 hours or more. I want it to match the length of Subspace Emissary at the very least

Voiced some of my opinion in the main thread but I'll give an expanded rant here.

Spoiler

It was great overall. Waaay longer than I thought it would be, but that's not really a bad thing. I love event modes so I loved what they did here. There was so much creativity and challenge. It's really the ultimate Nintendo celebration. The obscure and the popular both got great representation. Galeam's design was really cool and the story was surprisingly epic despite being virtually nonexistent. The final parts in particular were really cool when the spirits become stronger and you get to see final bosses and main protagonists as spirits. It was like a path down the road of the most powerful Nintendo characters.

-The character limitations were not fun. A large number of characters aren't available until near the end of the game, among them a lot of new comers. All of the new characters should have been unlocked early so people have a reason to try them out.

-Compouding that problem, it was sort of too linear for an open world. Especially in the second half. I think it would have been much better if the world of darkness was a part of the map from the beginning instead of requiring you to do 60/70% of the game first.

-Character forced battles would have helped to break up the monotony of using the same character over and over again (which sure you do t have to do, but we all know own everyone will). It would also serve to recreate events better and make unlocking characters a means of progression instead of just stickers.

- You should be able to refight battles. Someone above said The Boss spirit battle was great, what if I want to play that again for fun? I need to go through about fifteen hours of other battles first.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made it to the end of the adventure mode recently, I didn't 100% it, but I did manage to get all of the fighters. I understand why people have their grievances with this mode, but for me it was a good time. The rest is spoilers so I'll make a tab.

Spoiler

I love the concept of spirit battles so having a whole adventure mode dedicated to them was awesome. I admit it did get a little repetitive after a while, but the dungeons and boss fights made up for it. They definitely saved the best dungeons for the world of darkness with Dracula's Castle being the absolute best of them all.

But nothing, and I mean NOTHING compared to the final showdown. Getting to play as Master Hand followed by a fight against a doppelganger army while platforming up to Final Destination where you fight a boss rush before finally facing off against both Galeem and Dharkon at the same time and all while one of the most epic songs in Super Smash Bros. history plays in the background! It was the most hyped I've ever been playing a single player mode in a Smash Bros. game!

I'm in the process of finally trying to clear this mode myself. But I'm not sure what to do next.

Spoiler

I reached the area where there are a bunch of spirits and the last few fighters and you can tip the balance of power between Galeem and Darkhon. I've cleared out mostly everything except the stupid Giga Mac and Guile battles which are giving me a lot of trouble. Do I HAVE to beat them to continue and clear the mode? Or no? I can't seem to find any way to continue otherwise though.

Also, was disappointed to find that every single one of my mains was found very late... But otherwise, I thought this was cool!

Edited by Anacybele

40 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'm in the process of finally trying to clear this mode myself. But I'm not sure what to do next.

Reveal hidden contents

I reached the area where there are a bunch of spirits and the last few fighters and you can tip the balance of power between Galeem and Darkhon. I've cleared out mostly everything except the stupid Giga Mac and Guile battles which are giving me a lot of trouble. Do I HAVE to beat them to continue and clear the mode? Or no? I can't seem to find any way to continue otherwise though.

Also, was disappointed to find that every single one of my mains was found very late... But otherwise, I thought this was cool!

Spoiler

You don’t need to clear every battle on the final map to reach the true ending. You just need to free both Hands and then be able to reach where they are on the map.

4 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:
  Hide contents

You don’t need to clear every battle on the final map to reach the true ending. You just need to free both Hands and then be able to reach where they are on the map.

I did. Nothing happened.

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Hide contents

I remember that fight being pretty difficult. If you aren't already, I suggest using the Sherrif badge for its anti assist power. Then just focus all your attention in Guile. He should go down surprisingly quick with Sherrif equipped. From there it's just a straight up battle. Not sure if it's actually skipable as I fought every battle before even trying to finish the game (except Ricter who I initially missed).

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I remember that fight being pretty difficult. If you aren't already, I suggest using the Sherrif badge for its anti assist power. Then just focus all your attention in Guile. He should go down surprisingly quick with Sherrif equipped. From there it's just a straight up battle. Not sure if it's actually skipable as I fought every battle before even trying to finish the game (except Ricter who I initially missed).

I was using that, I still get beat easily because the Guile assist is constantly in my face.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I was using that, I still get beat easily because the Guile assist is constantly in my face.

That's why you have to focus on KOing him asap. A strong character like Ike should be able to KO him in three or four strong attacks. If you've been spending skill points then you should have infinite charge smashes and unflinching smash charges which is a great combo for gimping the AI.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

That's why you have to focus on KOing him asap. A strong character like Ike should be able to KO him in three or four strong attacks. If you've been spending skill points then you should have infinite charge smashes and unflinching smash charges which is a great combo for gimping the AI.

Yeah, I do, but then my main opponent is in my face. I can't seem to take on one or the other without one constantly roughing me up. Two against one is so hard.

59 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I do, but then my main opponent is in my face. I can't seem to take on one or the other without one constantly roughing me up. Two against one is so hard.

Maybe try Elise's autoheal then. If you need time to stall, hanging out around a ledge and abusing the extra midair jump is doable.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Maybe try Elise's autoheal then. If you need time to stall, hanging out around a ledge and abusing the extra midair jump is doable.

Okay then, I could try that.

I still can't seem to clear adventure mode though. Nothing's happening when I try to approach the Hands or Galeem or Darkhon. I freed the Hands and everything.

I still haven't figured out why nothing's happening when I try to approach the Hands or Darkhon or Galeem after freeing the former and reaching them. Anyone know what's going on here?

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I finally completed World of Light 100%!

I am ready for New Game+.

If you're interested in Challenges I would do the ones involving the final battle first. Otherwise you'll be forced to do another whole playthrough just for the opportunity. That's assuming NG+ works how I think it does. I haven't done it yet.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

That's assuming NG+ works how I think it does. I haven't done it yet.

You have the fighters you've freed from the previous run (though their battles will still be where they were, so you can have literal mirror matches) and your progress on the skill tree carries over. That's the basic gist of it.

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

If you're interested in Challenges I would do the ones involving the final battle first. Otherwise you'll be forced to do another whole playthrough just for the opportunity. That's assuming NG+ works how I think it does. I haven't done it yet.

I still need to complete the skill tree, so playing the New Game+ will grants me the skill points I need to complete it. I don't know if I will 100% NG+ too much work for... well.... nothing? I don't believe there is a reward for completing it.

At least we don't lost our save file when start a New Game+. The player is asked to choose a different save file to start NG+, so I still have my 100% file, and I can do the final battle how many times I want.

5 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

At least we don't lost our save file when start a New Game+. The player is asked to choose a different save file to start NG+, so I still have my 100% file, and I can do the final battle how many times I want.

Oh alright then. I've hold off on NG+ since I assumed it overwrote the same save file and I still have to beat the final boss with one stock.

I keep trying and I STILL can't do ANYTHING when I try to approach Galeem, Darkhon, or the Hands. I keep asking and no one's helped me yet whenever I asked for it.

Also, Guile is such a bullshit spirit battle. No matter what you do, you're hit for like 20 HP per damage, you can only do 1 HP of damage on Captain Falcon, and you have two enemies in your face. Also, I can't seem to hit the Guile assist trophy for the life of me at all for some reason. Ike's sword seems to go right through him and do nothing sometimes and he hits me instead.

How did anyone clear this?

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I keep trying and I STILL can't do ANYTHING when I try to approach Galeem, Darkhon, or the Hands. I keep asking and no one's helped me yet whenever I asked for it.

I can't imagine what the problem is. When you free both hands, a new , small vertical slice of path shows up at the Northernmost part of the area and you just walk up and interact with them.

44 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I can't imagine what the problem is. When you free both hands, a new , small vertical slice of path shows up at the Northernmost part of the area and you just walk up and interact with them.

Yeah, that appeared. I walked up to it, but can't do anything with it. I tried pressing A and stuff.