SSB Ultimate Spoiler Thread

Perkilator

4 hours ago, Florete said:

This sounds like jumping to conclusions to me.

I mean Dabuz was caught playing the game already, among several other users who are denying they were caught too. Might be leaping for some, but I think a good chunk of them are already practicing the meta, Ryuga certainly isn't being shy about it either.

Several of the pros are also memeing "Imagine if someone who got the game on December 7th won your local"

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I mean Dabuz was caught playing the game already, among several other users who are denying they were caught too. Might be leaping for some, but I think a good chunk of them are already practicing the meta, Ryuga certainly isn't being shy about it either.

Several of the pros are also memeing "Imagine if someone who got the game on December 7th won your local"

I'm not a follower of the pro scene by any means, but I don't think it's too farfetched of an idea that many people who are desperate enough to get the game by any means possible (e.g. paying a ton of money for a leaked copy) or find some way to play it (e.g. sharing copies amongst each-other) will certainly do so if it means they gain something from it.

Maybe not all the pros, but a significant number of them, considering how tight the Smash pro scene is in general.

This game just might get me to pay for online service as well, even though I hate what they've done with it. I'll need to get a job soon if I want to make that happen though, moving states does that to you I suppose.

11 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

At least this time they can patch it out.

All they did was reduce the endlag on reflector (something they've done across the board on reflectors/absorbs in Ultimate). It had great knockback in Brawl and 4, but it didn't matter because of how great recoveries were and how laggy the attack was. What makes the Melee version so unique is the ability to jump out of the move at any time, similar to shield jumping. And that jump, coupled with wavedashing makes it the dangerous tool that it was. In Brawl onward, they decided to keep the ability to jump, but only after reflecting something. It's a detail few know about, and with good reason since it makes so little of a difference.

Been watching some streams. It seems that when playing online, when rematching an opponent neither player can swap characters. If you want to swap you have to exit and go into a new lobby. This seems pretty unfortunate, but what are the chances it will be changed? I've never liked staying as the same character for too long, but I wouldn't want to be constantly leaving my opponents.

17 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Been revealed now that several Japanese pros helped the development of Ultimate.

At the cost of those players being unable to participate in tournaments, though i haven't confirmed that.

6 minutes ago, Florete said:

Been watching some streams. It seems that when playing online, when rematching an opponent neither player can swap characters. If you want to swap you have to exit and go into a new lobby. This seems pretty unfortunate, but what are the chances it will be changed? I've never liked staying as the same character for too long, but I wouldn't want to be constantly leaving my opponents.

That's really odd. Changing characters in a rematch is a fighting game staple, don't see why it would be changed.

Hopefully they change it back to normal.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

That's really odd. Changing characters in a rematch is a fighting game staple, don't see why it would be changed.

Hopefully they change it back to normal.

I don't play other fighting games, but some people in the Twitch chat were saying this is actually how most fighting games are.

43 minutes ago, Florete said:

I don't play other fighting games, but some people in the Twitch chat were saying this is actually how most fighting games are.

It's not an option in Tekken 7 online - at least when you're doing ranked matches; not sure if the same applies for Soul Calibur VI because I've never seen anyone do a rematch in ranked.

But it was a feature for Smash in previous incarnations of its online, even in ranked.  Not sure why they decided to remove it - the game gains nothing by preventing you from selecting a different character after a match with the same person, even from a competitive ranked fighting game standpoint.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

You can't do it in Street Fighter 5 either. With that and Tekken 7 I hope this is a one time deal for these franchises and not the new fighting game standard.

I think the reasoning for it has always been we don't want players to just constantly counterpick each other in lobby and never ready up. But in that case I'd rather they just hide the opponent's character with a question mark until the match is loading. If you have to relobby in order to switch characters, people are probably just going to leave way more often than they would have in the old system.

39 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think the reasoning for it has always been we don't want players to just constantly counterpick each other in lobby and never ready up. But in that case I'd rather they just hide the opponent's character with a question mark until the match is loading.

Yeah, that's how it's always been. You couldn't see who your opponent picked until the match starts.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

But in that case I'd rather they just hide the opponent's character with a question mark until the match is loading.

I know that's a feature in Soul Calibur VI free lobbies and in tournament lobbies for Tekken 7.

I believe the reasoning for it - at least in Tekken 7 - is that rank is individual to each character and if you were to select a different character then it severely screws with the matchmaking since it tries to match based on character ranks rather than the player's total experience.  I also believe these recent fighting games have been trying to cater too much to the hardcore FGC, which is strongly inclined towards picking mains and sticking with them - and as a result they wind up making lousy restrictions like that or gutting their games like crazy to the point where more casual players don't have much to do besides getting their arses beat by dedicated fans.

That being said, no idea why Smash is doing it now.

Edited by Ertrick36

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

That being said, no idea why Smash is doing it now.

I personally feel that it could be because the same reason you just gave to Tekken 7, sticking to a "main" character is common in a lot of fighting games, Super Smash Bros. is no different.