SSB Ultimate Spoiler Thread

Perkilator

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Florete said:

I had a lot of difficulty with that one.

Until I equipped the Cupid spirit to spawn in with a staff. Then you can beat it in 5 seconds.

Just beat it. Thanks for the help.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how to feel about that event halfway through the world of light. It feels a bit weird

Spoiler

Dharkon's entrance with his army of crazy hands and driving Galeem away was pretty baddass but him taking over the role of main bad guy doesn't sit well with me since Dharkon doesn't really do much to to earn the title. Galeem just killed every Smasher and every supporting character from their games. Compared to that I have little reason to care for this new guy. 

6 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm not sure how to feel about that event halfway through the world of light. It feels a bit weird

Hide contents

Dharkon's entrance with his army of crazy hands and driving Galeem away was pretty baddass but him taking over the role of main bad guy doesn't sit well with me since Dharkon doesn't really do much to to earn the title. Galeem just killed every Smasher and every supporting character from their games. Compared to that I have little reason to care for this new guy. 

Keep on going.

Spoiler

You may notice Galeem retreated, rather than get destroyed.

I'm finding that Giant + Donkey Kong trivialises most of the event battles, not that I'm complaining or anything (being a DK main and all). One thing I am complaining about though, is the fact that I'm still mainly facing two and three star battles, even in the second part of the game. You'd think they'd break out all the four star battles for after you've beaten Galeem, but I suppose not.

• 3 weeks later...

So folks have found new data in Smash Ultimate.

The code names of Plant, Jack and Brave were found. Plant is Obvious, Jack is Joker (the data seems to support it) and “Brave” which some are associating with Dragon Quest.

Theres more in the threads but still. This is huge.

DQ's Hero class in Japan is called "Brave"(Well, it's a word that means both "Hero" and "Brave" from what I've gathered), which is where the connection comes from. Every MC in the franchise is also named "Hero".  I'd put my money on Erdrick, since I've expected him ever since the speculation of a second Square rep in the game.

I could see a moveset working out in a number of ways. I think all of the Smashes and Tilts would be probably Sword-based, though it could also include Spears and Boomerangs, which are common weapon types for DQ heroes(And Erdrick). No idea how these'd work out.

His Bs, I think, would then be all magic.

• Neutral B - Zap, probably similar to Pikachu's Thunder.
  • Up B - Zoom, a straight, vertical recovery.
  • Forward B - Possibly Frizz as a straight-line fireball.
  • Down B - Possibly Kaclang, either as momentary invulnerability ala Kirby, or as a Parry. Also could be Sizz(If Frizz isn't part of the moveset) as a large, ground based fire attack. Or Boom, as a big, damaging AoE.

His FS would probably be either Kazap or Gigagash. Gigagash being a big AoE sword attack that does massive damage, or Kazap being similar to PK Starstorm, only with Lightning.

However, looking back at this, this moveset sucks and is super derivative, so hopefully the team is more creative than I am.

Edited by Slumber

Couldn’t “Brave” also refer to Bravely Default? (Tiz most likely) Or maybe even Brave Exvius? (Final Fantasy focused so Terra/Noctis/WoL/Onion Knight) Or possibly even something non Square related?

I’m not sold on it being Dragon Quest just yet when the only thing we have supporting it is just “Brave”

I really hope the leak turns out to be fake. Aside from Joker it really confirms my suspicion that letting executives pick characters for marketing reasons leads to a bunch of terrible characters. 

Spoiler

I'm fine with a Dragon Quest character. I have no personal connection to Dragon Quest but its big enough that I realize its pretty deserving of a rep. 

Ryu is....eh. He's okay, his theme song is good but I don't think Ninja Gaiden has ever been Smash material. 

But then you have Doom guy and Steve, the later of which is the best example of why having executives pick characters is a terrible game. I'm sure he's going to bring in a lot of money since Minecraft is a big deal but from what I recall no one think Steve has anything to do with that. 

And no Rex to be seen at all. 

39 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Couldn’t “Brave” also refer to Bravely Default? (Tiz most likely) Or maybe even Brave Exvius? (Final Fantasy focused so Terra/Noctis/WoL/Onion Knight) Or possibly even something non Square related?

I’m not sold on it being Dragon Quest just yet when the only thing we have supporting it is just “Brave”

It could also be "Brave Vesperia" if Namco were to put in someone. 

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I really hope the leak turns out to be fake. Aside from Joker it really confirms my suspicion that letting executives pick characters for marketing reasons leads to a bunch of terrible characters. 

Hide contents

I'm fine with a Dragon Quest character. I have no personal connection to Dragon Quest but its big enough that I realize its pretty deserving of a rep. 

Ryu is....eh. He's okay, his theme song is good but I don't think Ninja Gaiden has ever been Smash material. 

But then you have Doom guy and Steve, the later of which is the best example of why having executives pick characters is a terrible game. I'm sure he's going to bring in a lot of money since Minecraft is a big deal but from what I recall no one think Steve has anything to do with that. 

And no Rex to be seen at all. 

Hayabusa is THE video game ninja, I'd argue Ninja Gaiden is one of the last pieces of big NES history left to add to Smash, not to mention his modern stuff is really cool, I don't think a game that has Bayonetta, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Persona and such wouldn't let Ninja Gaiden fit, not being "smash material" is kind of petty and shows you just don't want him, which you could have just said.

Yeah, Ninja Gaiden was a VERY influential action platformer.

Obviously Megaman is more so, but I'd put NG at a pretty close #2. 

Between it and DQ, I'd say all NES era gaming icons would be covered. There might be a few left out, but as for games that were highly influential back then and continue to be to this day? Can't think of many more beyond those two that aren't in Smash. Maybe Ghosts 'n Goblins. I wouldn't oppose Sir Arthur being in the game. 

Edited by Slumber

Hayabusa's the one that sticks out personally, because every other character has marketing connotations (Joker has Q2 and maybe a P5 rerelease, DQXI's launching on Switch this year, Minecraft is available on Switch and is in general the second biggest individual game in existence behind only Tetris, and Bethesda's struck up a bit of a relationship with Nintendo to the point that Doom Eternal is launching on the Switch alongside everything else).

So you go from recent and/or marketable picks to a character who hasn't had a game in years. ...Either this was a favor to KT or Ninja Gaiden is getting something. Either way, from that perspective he  feels a bit odd.

8 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Couldn’t “Brave” also refer to Bravely Default?

unacceptable.

As for Ryu, well, I'll avoid the obvious joke of too many Ryus. Especially since there are two Roys in Smash and that's not an issue. I do consider him a gaming icon, even if I admit he hasn't had much in the way of important games since the 2004 reboot which is still underappreciated. My KT pick was always one of the OCs from Hyrule Warriors, since I think it's still a big deal that Nintendo said yes to licensing one of his biggest properties for a spinoff. However, Ryu is a solid choice and I wouldn't be surprised if he were being used to advertise some kind of re-release of the modern trilogy on Switch. The NES original was also one of the original lineup for the switch's online service. Fatal Frame content exists in Smash already so we know there's been some level of collaboration on this project.

Nothing immediately bothers me about these rumored suggestions, but unlike Mr. Brave, I'll remain unconvinced on principle. You could show me any lineup of three and I'd probably say it's just as likely. Also yes to Doom Guy, no to Steve, personally. Minecraft is better as a stage, and I know Microsoft has few characters of its own to provide that are still relevant, but I would take Master Chief instead. 

The only M$ characters I'll accept are Banjo and Kazooie. And I'm a Halo fan. Nintendo and M$ would be silly to think that the Smash fanbase would want any other character from M$ like they want Banjo and Kazooie.

Edited by Slumber

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The only M$ characters I'll accept are Banjo and Kazooie. And I'm a Halo fan. Nintendo and M$ would be silly to think that the Smash fanbase would want any other character from M$ like they want Banjo and Kazooie.

I don't think what the Smash fanbase wants matters for this DLC season.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

I don't think what the Smash fanbase wants matters for this DLC season.

These decisions are being made based around what will sell. It absolutely matters what the fanbase wants if they want to maximize profit.

Then again, Piranha Plant is in the game, so idk.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

These decisions are being made based around what will sell. It absolutely matters what the fanbase wants if they want to maximize profit.

The majority of Smash fans have likely already bought the fighter pass. Their money is already spent and if characters they don't want come in, they have only themselves to blame.

With Joker, and if the rumors are true, the rest of them, Nintendo is looking further. People who don't own Smash, maybe even don't own a Switch.

3 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The "Smash fanbase" is as vocal as it is overall miniscule; Minecraft obliterates Banjo in every quantifiable metric. Going back a bit, Cloud was considered a stupid meme character with no chances, yet look at what happened? Caused a big uproar that ended up dissipating because, what do you know, a whole lot of people were actually fine with his inclusion.

Most of the hardcore fans already bought the fighter pass, so why even waste resources pandering to them? Going for mass appeal characters/characters that would appeal to different fandoms and niches makes infinitely more sense than trying secure the dream materials of a vocal group of 90's kids who already paid up.

Yeah I know several people who got into Smash 4 just with Clouds inclusion, Joker is bringing in even more Switch sales likely.

Nintendos choices will likely be to maximize profits and adding in something more niche to some as Ninja Gaiden later in the pack is fine because Joker already did the main selling for a number of people.

Calling Ninja Gaiden niche is kind of weird though as said it’s one of the more iconic series from the NES era. The modern games were generally well received besides 3 (but then again 3 was the weakest by far). It’s been dormant sure, but he’s still around, he never misses a Dead or Alive game after all, and he’s been in a few Warriors crossovers.

He could join the other series folks who started in the 80’s too. 

Edited by Jedi

5 minutes ago, Florete said:

The majority of Smash fans have likely already bought the fighter pass. Their money is already spent and if characters they don't want come in, they have only themselves to blame.

With Joker, and if the rumors are true, the rest of them, Nintendo is looking further. People who don't own Smash, maybe even don't own a Switch.

It's anecdotal, but I only know of one person(Out of about 10 in my social circle who play Smash) who bought the Fighter Pass already. About half of the remaining are waiting until Joker is released to see if anything else is revealed, and the other half just doesn't care to buy the DLC at all.

You're right that they may be aiming to get people who don't own Smash/A Switch on board, but they also have to make choices that are appealing to people who do own the game.

12 hours ago, Slumber said:
  • Neutral B - Zap, probably similar to Pikachu's Thunder.
  • Up B - Zoom, a straight, vertical recovery.
  • Forward B - Possibly Frizz as a straight-line fireball.
  • Down B - Possibly Kaclang, either as momentary invulnerability ala Kirby, or as a Parry. Also could be Sizz(If Frizz isn't part of the moveset) as a large, ground based fire attack. Or Boom, as a big, damaging AoE.

Zap could be really in his moveset....
Another thing I could imagine is Boomerang throw with Side B? Again not the most creative but Erdrick also has a few weapons, not only sword.
At least I would be happy about a Dragon Quest character. And I prefer DQ over KH, also the sales in japan of dragon quest are still good, but I know that DQ is not that popular in the west. xD I still played almost all of them. Just wish the composer would be more nice..medis in dq11...

Poof could be a Down B which works like Clouds Limit break Down B, maybe it needs to charge a bit.
Fizzle could be another down B to reflect projectiles. Although it would be a bit different. 

Edited by Stroud

Honestly being a Toriyama fan it’d be cool just to see some of his work in Smash, via Dragon Quest, sure he has same face problem but he’s good at most other things art related haha.

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah I know several people who got into Smash 4 just with Clouds inclusion, Joker is bringing in even more Switch sales likely.

Nintendos choices will likely be to maximize profits and adding in something more niche to some as Ninja Gaiden later in the pack is fine because Joker already did the main selling for a number of people.

Calling Ninja Gaiden niche is kind of weird though as said it’s one of the more iconic series from the NES era. The modern games were generally well received besides 3 (but then again 3 was the weakest by far). It’s been dormant sure, but he’s still around, he never misses a Dead or Alive game after all, and he’s been in a few Warriors crossovers.

He could join the other series folks who started in the 80’s too. 

Especially since the indie game scene is still HIGHLY influenced by Ninja Gaiden.

The Messenger just came out, and was one of the most highly regarded indie titles last year.

4 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Zap could be really in his movese....
Another thing I could imagine is Boomerang throw with Side B? Again not the most creative but Erdrick also has a few weapons, not only sword.
At least I would be happy about a Dragon Quest character. And I prefer DQ over KH, also the sales in japan of dragon quest are still good.

Poof could be a Down B which works like Clouds Limit break Down B, maybe it needs to charge a bit.
Fizzle could be another down B to reflect projectiles. Although it would be a bit different. 

I could see a Boomerang, but I think it'd represent the character better if his B specials were all Magic. Though a projectile on an A or a Smash attack seems like it wouldn't fit all that well.

I thought about Fizzle/Holy Protection as either a Parry or attack reflection/cancel. Though I'd prefer if we didn't get another parrying swordie.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Honestly being a Toriyama fan it’d be cool just to see some of his work in Smash, via Dragon Quest, sure he has same face problem but he’s good at most other things art related haha.

Yeah, Toriyama's better at creature design than he is character design. His character designs are still pretty strong until you get to the face.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Especially since the indie game scene is still HIGHLY influenced by Ninja Gaiden.

The Messenger just came out, and was one of the most highly regarded indie titles last year.

Yeah, Toriyama's better at creature design than he is character design. His character designs are still pretty strong until you get to the face.

Yes, I finally got to play it all the way through and it’s defintely one of my favorite titles from 2018. (I think my avatar says that haha).

Agreed, I generally like his character designs, but I might be a tad bias because y’know I’m a Dragon Ball nerd.

7 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I could see a Boomerang, but I think it'd represent the character better if his B specials were all Magic. Though a projectile on an A or a Smash attack seems like it wouldn't fit all that well.

I thought about Fizzle/Holy Protection as either a Parry or attack reflection/cancel. Though I'd prefer if we didn't get another parrying swordie.

True, I also think making him a magic sword fighter is a better way. Until now Robin is like the only one in that category. 

Fizzle/Holy Protection could be used, but right, we have enough sword fighters with parry. I even think that if they want they could give him snooze to put other characters to sleep. It could be done like Disable from mewtu just that it puts enemies to sleep. For now Jigglypuff is the only one. Ha, Dragon quest and Jiggly puff. I could imagine a picture of Erdrick and 2 Jigglypuffs. But sadly Jigglypuff has another name in japan. xD 

Would be at least likely that B moves are magic and A moves are sword attacks. 

Edited by Stroud

16 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It's anecdotal, but I only know of one person(Out of about 10 in my social circle who play Smash) who bought the Fighter Pass already. About half of the remaining are waiting until Joker is released to see if anything else is revealed, and the other half just doesn't care to buy the DLC at all.

You're right that they may be aiming to get people who don't own Smash/A Switch on board, but they also have to make choices that are appealing to people who do own the game.

I haven't bought it either, but both after Joker and after the recent rumors I see lots of complaints around the internet from people who are regretting having already bought the pass.

Incidentally, if the rumors are true, Joker will probably be the only one I buy.