Hrid: Icy Blade - November Legendary Hero

daisy jane

42 minutes ago, Hilda said:

that assumes you can safelybait the enemy. Because Hrid wont reach other ranged cavs without getting repositioned. And then there is the problem of dancers not reaching without him being in WoM range

With a dancer you can usually trigger the traps and pull back on the same turn to get out of the danger area. In the following turn, you get into position, and the one after that, you can use Reposition on both the unit and dancer to launch them both in. Sometimes I've had an easy enough time just clearing the structures on the side and going through that way (especially since most setups have ranged units in the same spots, triggering Tactics Room). Depending on what he has for HP, it may be possible to give him Fury and also activate the Bolt Trap with him to put him into WoM range. The real issue with this plan is that he would probably hit these healers too hard to activate Galeforce, I'd wager.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Yuuuuusssssss

I am happy. His horse doesn't have wings, but I'm happy. I may have to build a better cav team now. Like, actually focus on it. Also, I need Gunnthra more than before, now. I have about 200 orbs saved up, so here's hoping I pull someone I want. But man, too many people to pull now... If there was just 1, it'd be easy. Oh well. I have none of the red units, and red includes 2 legendaries, so that'd be an easy focus. Obviously hoping for Hrid there. Colorless has all units I don't have, too, but I don't actually care much for them except for F!Grima, who I both want very badly and keep not getting. As for blue, I have Hector, and am ok with not having Summer Cordelia or Bow Lucina, so I guess there's at least 1 skip. Green... I have F!Kana and a really good Summer Innes already, but I need Gunnthra. Soo… Guess my plan is...to focus red, and if I get Hrid, focus green. L!Robin will just have to wait.

Edit: Unless no red orbs appear, then I'll pull colorless.

way to go! I know that @Lewyn and I saved up about 250 and 340 respectively, for legendary banner shopping. (this is our plan going forward, minus a few banners), do you generally just shop Legendary only too? 

I got my priority list. i'm Blue-Red-Colourless-Green. 
if i get all blue - i'm done on banner
If I get Hector-Lucina-Ryoma, i'm done on banner. 
If I get Innes or Gunnthra, i'm done green, 
If I get FGrima (please? FINALLY?!) i'm done colourless unless i'm broken (because i do need Kleins + Sothes)

i'd like to not spend all my orbs on this.

7 hours ago, daisy jane said:

way to go! I know that @Lewyn and I saved up about 250 and 340 respectively, for legendary banner shopping. (this is our plan going forward, minus a few banners), do you generally just shop Legendary only too? 

I got my priority list. i'm Blue-Red-Colourless-Green. 
if i get all blue - i'm done on banner
If I get Hector-Lucina-Ryoma, i'm done on banner. 
If I get Innes or Gunnthra, i'm done green, 
If I get FGrima (please? FINALLY?!) i'm done colourless unless i'm broken (because i do need Kleins + Sothes)

i'd like to not spend all my orbs on this.

Thanks. :) I realized sometime last spring that if there's a banner you want a unit on and you don't have at least 200 orbs saved up, odds are you won't get anything you really want, and % increase for getting a 5* IS NOT shared for all banners. I've been dedicated free to play since launch, so I scrounge up what orbs I can through giveaways and events and such. (However, I also like choosing my own way, so I don't like copying builds. At all. If I happen to come up with one that others use, then that's fine because for me, I'm the one who came up with my version of it. So, "if you build this team this way, you can get more orbs" is something I tend to respectfully ignore. It'd make this into work instead of a game for me.)

Anyway, to answer your question, I tend to shop for seasonals and legendaries. This is because they're usually only available on their respective banners, as opposed to other units who you can get on virtually any banner. I used to just pull whenever a unit I liked showed up, but that got me broke too fast, and then I didn't have the orbs for more exclusive units. So, now I try to have at least 200 orbs on hand if I think legendary or seasonal banners are likely to show up soon. Since said banners actually do come up fairly regularly, though, I actually cinch it up even more: if an upcoming legendary banner doesn't have a priority legendary unit on it OR if said priority legendary unit has 2 other focus units I don't necessarily want, I may skip. Likewise, if I'm saving up for a priority unit (like L!Robin), I may skip any other banners in the attempt. (So, despite wanting the new Halloween units, I had to put my foot down at one point and give up since I'd be needing to try for L!Robin again soon. But then I put off summoning her because of the surrounding colorless focus units.) Even further, back in spring, I decided to save up as many orbs as possible in case Ike got a summer alt (this seemed likely to me and he's my favorite character. I have all his other forms, and decided that if I was going to collect anyone, it'd be him.) He didn't, so I dabbled a little in the summer banners and came out with Summer Young Tiki and Summer Innes. (It wasn't long after that that I decided I needed L!Robin.) That was about when the orb rule came into play. Not that 400+ orbs was enough for F!Grima when I blew my savings (of orbs) trying to get her. Finally got my 200 orbs back, and then some, but then spent some on the Ylgr and Surtr banner (breaking my rule) and got Libra, then stopped before I went below 200 orbs (keeping my rule.) This worked well for me during the summer, so I'll try to keep to it as well as I can. Ah, point from earlier: I will skip seasonal banners, too, if I think a priority/more favored unit is coming up.

So, I guess that's my answer. It's a bit more complicated than you were expecting, I think, but such is budgeting, and I think this method (for me, at least) leads to the least regret.

31 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Thanks. :) I realized sometime last spring that if there's a banner you want a unit on and you don't have at least 200 orbs saved up, odds are you won't get anything you really want, and % increase for getting a 5* IS NOT shared for all banners. I've been dedicated free to play since launch, so I scrounge up what orbs I can through giveaways and events and such. (However, I also like choosing my own way, so I don't like copying builds. At all. If I happen to come up with one that others use, then that's fine because for me, I'm the one who came up with my version of it. So, "if you build this team this way, you can get more orbs" is something I tend to respectfully ignore. It'd make this into work instead of a game for me.)

Anyway, to answer your question, I tend to shop for seasonals and legendaries. This is because they're usually only available on their respective banners, as opposed to other units who you can get on virtually any banner. I used to just pull whenever a unit I liked showed up, but that got me broke too fast, and then I didn't have the orbs for more exclusive units. So, now I try to have at least 200 orbs on hand if I think legendary or seasonal banners are likely to show up soon. Since said banners actually do come up fairly regularly, though, I actually cinch it up even more: if an upcoming legendary banner doesn't have a priority legendary unit on it OR if said priority legendary unit has 2 other focus units I don't necessarily want, I may skip. Likewise, if I'm saving up for a priority unit (like L!Robin), I may skip any other banners in the attempt. (So, despite wanting the new Halloween units, I had to put my foot down at one point and give up since I'd be needing to try for L!Robin again soon. But then I put off summoning her because of the surrounding colorless focus units.) Even further, back in spring, I decided to save up as many orbs as possible in case Ike got a summer alt (this seemed likely to me and he's my favorite character. I have all his other forms, and decided that if I was going to collect anyone, it'd be him.) He didn't, so I dabbled a little in the summer banners and came out with Summer Young Tiki and Summer Innes. (It wasn't long after that that I decided I needed L!Robin.) That was about when the orb rule came into play. Not that 400+ orbs was enough for F!Grima when I blew my savings (of orbs) trying to get her. Finally got my 200 orbs back, and then some, but then spent some on the Ylgr and Surtr banner (breaking my rule) and got Libra, then stopped before I went below 200 orbs (keeping my rule.) This worked well for me during the summer, so I'll try to keep to it as well as I can. Ah, point from earlier: I will skip seasonal banners, too, if I think a priority/more favored unit is coming up.

So, I guess that's my answer. It's a bit more complicated than you were expecting, I think, but such is budgeting, and I think this method (for me, at least) leads to the least regret.

no problem! :)

and that was me!  but i've changed my mind set for this too (some units though are special. .... Micaiah i am looking at you, girl)

. if you'd like to chat more about this - shoot me a pm! :) it's good to have orb saving support!

6 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:
  Hide contents

Oof. While his stats might be minmaxed he's gonna need QR for important common green match-ups

Spoiler

But why? His weapon already gives him follow ups should anyone be debuffed which is very easy to pull off. If anything, Hrid is a monster.

5 minutes ago, Silverly said:
  Hide contents

But why? His weapon already gives him follow ups should anyone be debuffed which is very easy to pull off. If anything, Hrid is a monster.

Spoiler

Chilling seal isn't going to hit common greens anytime soon as it's first target. It'll definitely hit reds, but greens have decent to good res as do blues (not that blues matter in the case of reds). His res is rather low for ploying as is his HP. I'd describe his as redbreaker. He's gonna need ally support for debuffing (or threaten?), but that'll already mean that Hrid is incapable of settling things by himself against a color he's supposed to be strong against and any other unit could potentially bring in similar results if you were to resort to allies supporting them.

Also, Myrrh and Lector, common green threats in tier 19.5 arena, cancel follow-ups. And Hrid's speed is already low as it is. Even if he were to use threaten. But it seems threaten might be his best C-slot if he intends to fight greens

I'll give him props for trying to be a special little snowflake among the stale sword units

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Hrid's stats:

Hide contents

41/37/17/36/26

Totally called it. Good mixed bulk. Slow as fuck.

EDIT: Oh, god. His internal name actually is "Freeze".

I guess that's what he gets for having frosted tips. The unfunny yet unavoidable ice puns are truly strong within this one

I'm pumped

30 minutes ago, Silverly said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If a green unit has skills like Wary Fighter, Vengeful Fighter, Great Flame, etc, that Hrid's sword would normally ignore, the effect will be canceled out if he's too slow. Against those skills, provided they're active, he needs the usual 5 more Spd than his foe to double them. At least he has such good Def that he should be ok against Myrrh, but even the slowest armors (like Surtr and Zephiel) are going to prevent him from doubling if he's not getting support.

24 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

I guess that's what he gets for having frosted tips. The unfunny yet unavoidable ice puns are truly strong within this one

I had been joking to myself ever since he was implemented about his name in Japanese, which is フリーズ (furīzu). Both "Hrid" and "freeze" end up being transliterated into the same thing in Japanese (the syllable "hu" doesn't exist in Japanese, so it gets rendered as the closest sound, "fu").

Even if Gunnthra's and Ylgr's internal names were kind of off (Gunnthra's is "Cerise", from "Slidr", and Ylgr's is "Yurg"), I wasn't expecting Hrid's internal name to actually be "freeze".

EDIT: On a side note, I'm slightly surprised they didn't give him Villager stats.

Edited by Ice Dragon

10 minutes ago, Johann said:

I'm pumped

If a green unit has skills like Wary Fighter, Vengeful Fighter, Great Flame, etc, that Hrid's sword would normally ignore, the effect will be canceled out if he's too slow. Against those skills, provided they're active, he needs the usual 5 more Spd than his foe to double them. At least he has such good Def that he should be ok against Myrrh, but even the slowest armors (like Surtr and Zephiel) are going to prevent him from doubling if he's not getting support.

Well... Yes, Great Flame and Wary Fighter will cancel the guaranteed follow-up effect of Hríd's sword, but for Bold/Vengeful Fighter the guaranteed follow-up still works, working as a sword with QR. 

Anyway, I don't believe Hríd will be a unit that we will see in high tier arena, so he doesn't have too many problems. We will probably see him in Aether Raids or GC.

The real sad part about Hríd is the 3 super banes (Hp, Spd and Res). I wouldn't mind to get a -Spd Hríd, but a -Res one is bad...

If you ignore Brave Hector and Hrid, the Slowest character on this banner is a tie between F!Kana and Laevatein at 34 base speed. Insane how fast units have gotten. Also insane how many weapons and skills give you followups or prevent the opponent's followups.

Hrid's infernal was ridiculous.

But I somehow managed to beat it by smashing my head against a wall repeatedly. Who knew that all I had to do was downgrade Reinhardt's C-skill to spur attack so Ike could 1RKO that bow knight? Oh, and to deploy PA!Azura to kill that annoying manakete?

31 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Well, after 300ish orbs, I have 4 Laevateinns, 3 Ryomas, a Grima, and no Hrid -_- This game can be cruel, but so it goes.

i would gladly give up my Hrid (and his DC fodderish) to get one Ryoma. :( (and if you wanted Lavetaein i'd give you her, for your grima). 
didn't summon all month and i didn't really get anything helpful (okay 2 lucinas, which i wanted but not the best ivs, so i have to work on not being salty)

1 minute ago, daisy jane said:

i would gladly give up my Hrid (and his DC fodderish) to get one Ryoma. :( (and if you wanted Lavetaein i'd give you her, for your grima). 
didn't summon all month and i didn't really get anything helpful (okay 2 lucinas, which i wanted but not the best ivs, so i have to work on not being salty)

I got Ryoma and Laev instead of Hrid. I have my Ryoma already and don't care much for Laev. Desire sensor always gets ya ><

1 minute ago, Cute Chao said:

I got Ryoma and Laev instead of Hrid. I have my Ryoma already and don't care much for Laev. Desire sensor always gets ya ><

always
i wouldn't even be that made about Laev, but she's -spd. like. how is that gonna help me? 

Got a +res/-spd Brave Hector. Not bad, at least got a bane in his dump stat, and his boom res is rather decent for an armored unit. Three Braves left for me: Celica, Ephraim, and Roy’s our boy

@daisy jane & @Cute Chao Amen to that. Spent the orbs on his maps and still nothing. I think that makes 350 orbs.

And nah, I didn't actually want any of them. My Palla is going to be on par with or better than Ryoma pretty much no matter what because she's +10. Laevateinn is fine as a unit, but I'm not overly fond of her as a character and I already have a million swordies I never use so meh, and already had Grima. Ryoma is probably the one I'm happiest about and even he's like a 6/10 on the happy scale (5 being complete indifference). I'd gladly trade any of them for Hrid if it were possible.

As for Hrid himself, I feel like he'll be pretty impressive. On an enemy team, he'll still die pretty easily since any blue mage can double him, but in player hands, he seems like he'll be very solid. I'm guessing 9/10 times, he'll have hone cavalry active which bumps him up to 23 speed letting him break some wary fighter units, and even if his chill doesn't hit the unit you want, You can use it to kill the unit it did hit and then let a smoke or two handle the surrounding units. It would've been kind of cool to see him be the first cav villager, but I guess IS can't be assed to throw cavs or fliers a bone are worried it might be too good. They did actively drop the gen 2 bonus to cavs after Sigurd after all.

I feel like his map was one of the tougher too. His debuffs is nasty. Thank God for Lynhardt/dancer cheese.

Edited by bottlegnomes

2 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

@daisy jane & @Cute Chao Amen to that. Spent the orbs on his maps and still nothing. I think that makes 350 orbs.

And nah, I didn't actually want any of them. My Palla is going to be on par with or better than Ryoma pretty much no matter what because she's +10. Laevateinn is fine as a unit, but I'm not overly fond of her as a character and I already have a million swordies I never use so meh, and already had Grima. Ryoma is probably the one I'm happiest about and even he's like a 6/10 on the happy scale (5 being complete indifference). I'd gladly trade any of them for Hrid if it were possible.

As for Hrid himself, I feel like he'll be pretty impressive. On an enemy team, he'll still die pretty easily since any blue mage can double him, but in player hands, he seems like he'll be very solid. I'm guessing 9/10 times, he'll have hone cavalry active which bumps him up to 23 speed letting him break some wary fighter units, and even if his chill doesn't hit the unit you want, You can use it to kill the unit it did hit and then let a smoke or two handle the surrounding units. It would've been kind of cool to see him be the first cav villager, but I guess IS can't be assed to throw cavs or fliers a bone are worried it might be too good. They did actively drop the gen 2 bonus to cavs after Sigurd after all.

I feel like his map was one of the tougher too. His debuffs is nasty. Thank God for Lynhardt/dancer cheese.

Hrid is DC fodder. Like I do not care about him at all, I don't care about his buffs during wind season (if i get a good one, he might live). 
I wanted Ryoma because i just felt he'd help I don't have a good Palla, I don't have a good Caeda. I didn't want Laevateinn (Like i thought 3 Jaffars blocking me from Mia was the worst i'd feel in this game. then I thought 3-4 banners of NO Micaiah would be it. no. this being my random 5* literally anyone else would have done, is it). i try to look at the bright side andmake things work for me, but as the first time for mostly being f2p (minus a small amount to give myself a round number before starting... 

i am so disappointed. 
(even the Lucinas don't help because they aren't the best natures, though thankfully, her atk nor spd isn't touched so eventually i'll get the good nature one as i always pull blue for the most part). 

i need like a cookie haha

44 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Amen to that. Spent the orbs on his maps and still nothing. I think that makes 350 orbs.

I spent 600 orbs going for Ryoma originally because he's still the only flying male red/sword unit so he was worth it in that respect. I don't mind having a merge. Snap for Laev - she seems fine and I guess her design is okay but I already have a Karla and an Ayra that I don't use, as well as many others that I use sparingly >.< 

I don't really need Hrid, but I do want him. He's the only male wind legendary so far, and I really like his design :D Stats never mean much to me lol

After a whole lot of attempts with my horses failing because I just cannot kill the enemy as quickly as it comes onto the field, I turned to the tried-and-tested cheese in the shape of Celica and three times Azura:
Screenshot_20181129-003720.png

Had to give Celica Blazing Wind (minus Soleil book) and Savage Blow (minus Camilla book; @SatsumaFSoysoy I love Savage Blow for a reason, damn it!); not sure whether Savage Blow wouldn’t have been enough to overpower the manakete. I can try, actually.

EDIT: nope, her usual Draconic Aura wasn’t enough. A Soleil book used not in vain. Nice.

Edited by Vaximillian