What got you into Fire Emblem?

Sub Zero

To put it short and simple, Smash Bros. Brawl is what got me into Fire Emblem really (I never played Melee at the time) and then a few years later, I decided to try out Awakening and before I knew it, it clicked on me right away, gameplay and everything. Went on to play the GBA ones as well except for The Binding Blade because it only came out in Japan. Became a fan of the series from that day onwards.

Of course however, my interest in the series recently began to diminish, hence why I stopped playing Heroes about 3 months ago and I may not get Three Houses either.

Edited by Faustino

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into fire emblem thanks to my friends. they talked about it during lunch so I watched the game they were talking about. After watching one episode I had to buy it. R.I.P. Hana. you will always be missed from my first run. 

Simply because of lack of good choices with the Gamecube/GBA Games. Long story short, this was when the Pokemon game that came out was bleh, Stupid Mario started to become annoying (both the brain-dead, idiotic Sunshine story and how Peach's kidnapping also turned out to be stupid in retrospect since Smash Melee came out), and I wasn't yet interested in Zelda nor the other games. Cue FE6 and it's well-crafted backstory, and the rest was history. (See here.)

Edited by henrymidfields

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎11 at 8:51 PM, eclipse said:

"Hey, who's that cute redhead on the poster?"

And that, my friends, is why I bought Blazing Sword on release.  The rest. . .is history.

So some girls do like redheads. Interesting...

In all seriousness, I probably would have bought Blazing Sword, had I had the chance, for a somewhat related reason: there aren't a lot of male redhead heroes in video games, which makes male redheads such as myself feel a little left out. There's Roy and Eliwood, Adol Christin, and I think that's it. We're 2% of most western countries' population, yet 0.0000000000002% of video game heroes and protagonists. As a male redhead, it's a little annoying for me. when I have a beard, I'm told I look like Ed Sheeran, and when I'm cleanshaven, I'm told I look like Ron Weasley, and I get the impression that it's because those are the only two male redheads anyone's ever heard of. 

Edited by vanguard333

11 hours ago, eclipse said:

"Hey, who's that cute redhead on the poster?"

And that, my friends, is why I bought Blazing Sword on release.  The rest. . .is history.

Now I'm generally curious. Who is she? My brain is confused... 

Well, I started. With Blazing Sword. I had actually never heard of the game before, and by this time the GBA was ancient history. The 3ds may have already been out, can't really remember. But me being the kid with two older brothers who were 12 and 14 years older than me, I always played on the older consoles/handhelds because that's what they grew up with. So one day I was just looking through my oldest brother's GBA games down stairs in his old room, and came across Blazing Sword. It kinda just stuck out to me, I ran up stairs with the game in my hand, and texted my brother. Had to use my mom's phone because My mom believed I didn't need a phone till I was 16. But anyways I texted my brother and asked him about the game, all he said was: it's a good game, and I should play it. So I went and picked up my GBA, which was technically my brothers', and started playing the game. I immediately fell in love with the game, and just couldn't stop. I've played through it about 3 times at this point. And I will love this game forever, even though my GBA died about a week ago.

Edited by Robin126

7 hours ago, Emperor Chiam Longblade said:

Two hints:

1. Check the gender.
2. I'm straight.

I saw some nice fanart of Awakening (part of Ticcy's Very Chrobin Comic, to be exact), got curious about what it was from because I liked its aesthetic a lot, and since I vaguely remembered a friend mentioning Fire Emblem, I bought the game because I trusted her taste and the artist's. (In hindsight, that's not always the most reliable method to decide what to play, I'd do more research before buying a game nowadays, but it worked out.) I got hooked pretty much instantly, finished it in a few days and immediately started a new playthrough. It came up in conversation with said friend, and I didn't get her into Awakening but she got me into Tellius, then there was the Fates hype, so I started slowly discovering the rest of the series though LPs and emulators. I'll probably always be fond of Awakening, but I recently found an used copy of Blazing Sword (in english even though it was in a french shop, funnily enough), and though I'm not that far in the story yet and keep having to restart chapters, I can see why it got so many people into FE. I just regret that I didn't know about this franchise at a time where I could have acquired the games I like the normal way, now that emulation websites are being attacked and Tellius games cost an arm and a leg. (Put them on the switch, nintendo, I want to give you money for them but you're not making it easy.)

Edited by Kori

Yeah; despite the fact I've had my eyes on it for a bit before this story (and watched a playthrough of Awakening up to Chapter 9 and was spoiled with the rest of the game due to me checking out any video I could find), I'm going to go with the cop-out answer of Melee.

Lemme break it down; I was around 11 (Smash 4 had already came and went). Some of my sister's friends came to our house, and one of them bought a Nintendo Gamecube and Melee with him. Them and I were going neck and neck at each other, and I was on par with them, especially as Marth. This actually made me really want to play a Fire Emblem game because I had such an inflated ego at the time and proclaimed myself the "Marth Master". I started reading up on some of the characters and read a lot of the support conversations.

A few months passed, and my father said he would buy a 3DS game for me. I gathered the courage and asked him if I could get a Rated T game, being Fire Emblem Awakening. He actually said yes, probably because it had the "3D Functionality for ages 6+" thing by the bottom (  - v -). It took me around 3 Files and two or so months of non-stop playing before I could actually finish it on Normal Casual, since I've never played a strategy game at that point and I was a dumb 11 year old.

My mom's mistake

I asked for Golden Sun for my bday. She got me Sacred Stones instead. All because she couldn't remember the name of the game and told the store guy "Is a game about fire" ( Sun = fire, of course)

In the end I never played Golden Sun, but I have been playing Fire Emblem since that day

Now, what make me keep playing Fire Emblem after that mistake, was when I accindentally got Innes "killed" and his "dead" quote appeared (I know he doesn't die really). Yeah I had already other characters died before (first time playing I didn't know what to do exactly) but his quote hit me hard for some reason unlike the others, and that make me start the whole game again and tried to keep everyone alive, also it make Innes my favorite character so...

And Yeah that is... My mom's mistake + Innes

10 hours ago, Emperor Chiam Longblade said:

Don't worry, it's hard to figure out. I was able to deduce it after looking on Google, I compiled my research in this picture

Obviously.JPG.db3170f9d4e01de660a444a42a446b08.JPGSee, cute redhead on the far right. On another note, how the hell was FE7 rated E for everyone? That is a solid E 10+ at the very least.

Anyways, I got into FE thanks to a friend. It was at lunch in Middle school when my friend pulled out his 3Ds. I, being bored since my other friends were playing cards or some shite, so I started watching what he was doing. And, of course, he was playing Fire Emblem Awakening. I asked what it was, he explained it to me, yadda yadda. He even let me give it a shot, for like one map, which he took away from me halfway through after I almost got Olivia killed (it was my first strategy game). Anyways, I didn't get into Fire Emblem after this, but about a year later, Fates came out. My friend got Conquest, and I somehow convinced him to loan it to me in exchange for me letting him borrow Mario and Luigi Paper Jam. Love Conquest, bought a few of the games off the E-shop, got Birthright, then Echoes, then whatever order I played some of the other games in.

Let's see here, I don't really remember exactly how it went, but as with many people I became aware of Fire Emblem through Smash Bros. For my case it was with Melee. As for wanting to play FE itself... well, I suppose mostly for being a strategy game. I like those kind of games, had already played stuff like Tactics Ogre Knights of Lodis and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, so what was one more strategy RPG.

Wish I could say more, but I really barely remember at this point. It was a strategy game, I like them, probably it really was only that.

22 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

On another note, how the hell was FE7 rated E for everyone? That is a solid E 10+ at the very least.

E10+ was made in 2005, so it didn't exist when Blazing Blade got rated.

20 hours ago, eclipse said:

Two hints:

1. Check the gender.
2. I'm straight.

Hmmm ...let me think about it

Edited by Emperor Chiam Longblade

Always heard about fire emblem from smash, and fell in love with the series main theme on Brawl’s website. Also saw the “history of fire emblem” video on the Nintendo channel on my Wii. Didn’t play a game in the series until FE7 when I got a gba emulator, though FE8 was the first I beat since I found it easier than 7. I eventually beat 7 and tried out a ton of the gba fan projects on this forum, and got hyped for awakening, a playable avatar, marriage, and Lucina (after getting spoiled on her identity while browsing the wiki).

Awakening was actually a slight disappointment for me, with an underwritten story and weird balancing, I wasn’t used to the inflated stats compared to the gba titles. I got hyped for Fates (especially for the story, so you can tell I was devastated when Conquest, the version I thought would have the best story in the series, turned out to have one of the worst stories in video game history). I played the hell out of Conquest, and beat Birthright once on a friend’s copy. I also got Echoes, and loved it to death due to all the interesting gameplay ideas.

I started another run of Awakening, though it stalled a bit due to other games. I’m looking forward to Three Houses, in fact this series is one of the biggest reasons for me getting a switch when I skipped the Wii U.

20 hours ago, eclipse said:

Two hints:

1. Check the gender.
2. I'm straight.

Ohh...Eliwood..I thought you meant the woman on your profile pic....wow I'm a dumbass

I first saw the gameplay of a Fire Emblem game when youtubers Green Scorpion and Comic Foil started a Let's Play of Blazing Sword. Despite the fact that I only watched them up until the end of Lyns story, as the Lets Play updated slowly and ended up taking over a year to finish, I liked what I saw. It helped that both hosts were active in the comments, providing information on how the mechanics worked and which games were good starting points for the series. I also saw a friend of mine play the game via an emulator at school, and again, I liked what I saw.

Eventually, I downloaded the demo of Awakening, had a fun time with it, and got the game as a gift for Christmas. I had actually intended on having Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones be my first Fire Emblem games, but I didn't know how emulators worked then. Still, I had a fun time with Awakening, and I still play it every now and again.

21 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

On another note, how the hell was FE7 rated E for everyone? That is a solid E 10+ at the very least

I was thinking the same thing! I was always so confused why it wasn't rated at least E 10+. Like I don't think it needed to be rated teen but E? Really?

It was fairly popular in the off topic part of the Bioware Social Network forum at the time of its release and this was around the same time I read Visual Novels that focused on choosing a girl and going out with her and all that mushy stuff.

So when I heard that Awakening was a high fantasy game where you could marry anyone young me couldn't wait to play the game so I bought Awakening the next time I went to a game store. Awakening was alright at the time but I really got into FE when I realized that the 3DS I used to play games from my sister also had a free Sacred Stones download.

I got a CD with a collection of GBA roms and the VBA emulator, one of them was FE8 and the title made me curious so I gave it a shot (it was the EUR version and it was in spanish). I was like 10 and I loved everything about it, and to this day I still love Lute.

Some years after that, I don't know why but I started to hate swords, dragons and Fire Emblem in general and I really don't get why... That's all over now and I like FE!

Advance Wars 2 was my gateway to FE.  Many years ago, I discovered the GBA and played its games; and I remember liking AW2 a lot.  From there, I found a somewhat similar strategy game only in a fantasy setting and more RPG than army management.  That was of course Fire Emblem (7), and I loved it just as much as AW2; I wouldn't make the same company connection until some time later.

Despite liking AW2 a lot, I never did play any other Advance Wars game that came before or after it.  And as that franchise came to a halt after Days Of Ruin, I forgot all about it and shifted my focus on FE.  And now here I am with FE7 and FE8 100% completed, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery completed at least once (all the way, no bad endings), and all the others I've never played but at least am familiar with.

I first found what FE was through Shadow dragon in 2014 since my dad had a online shop with lots of games so I got to play some and that was FE11 although because I left it just lying it around my room outside it's box he feared it could get lost and didn't let me play it again, damn what an extreme action to take next time you see a fly maybe throw a grenade or something.

Well then later on in 2017 I saw him playing Echoes on his 3DS and I wanted that so nearing my birthday my mom came and she had 2 presents and one of them was FE15 she allowed me to open one around 2 weeks early (She also does that with Christmas too) I picked the 3DS box shaped thing becaused I already knew what it was and I had a blast with it. After that I started looking back to the GBA era since it's one of the consoles I grew up with (alongside the Wii and PS3) and then from there I just went wherever back or forwards in the franchise.