Do You Prefer Animations On or Off?

Sand55

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

whenever i started a new FE title, i always kept the animations on in the first playthrough to see how the units managed to fight out of curiosity.

when i got used( or rather, bored )of them, i simply turned everything off to make things faster.

it's always nice to see skills and critical animations for the first time, but after you know every character and their attacks, watching them over and over everytime becomes quite boring.

Yeah, same here. For me, there are some that are more repeatable than others. If two myrmidoms are fighting in the GBA games, those animations are fast enough that I might keep them on. But if there's a paladin in the mix... well, you can only watch them charge for five seconds straight when they get a crit so many times before you wonder when you get to move on.

The only time I ever turn animations off is when I'm doing particularly grindy tasks in Heroes. For example, auto-battling through Tempest Trials or Forging Bonds. In that case, it's purely out of pragmatism and impatience. Normally, I'm more than willing to sit through animations for battles. In fact, I'm quite happy to do it, because I find them pretty enjoyable and fun. But, when I'm just trying to get those points up and stockpile feathers and whatnot, I don't have time for it. I'm probably not even looking at my phone to begin with outside of checking to see that the battle is over.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, Sand55 said:

Yeah, that's actually a problem I ran into a lot. I ended up keeping animations on quite a bit during the latter part of Binding Blade after a ballista got a critical on one of my paladins. I was trying to get the paladin to tank all of its shots so that my other units could move in safely, but since I had animations off, I had no idea it had a chance to crit.

Yes, the Hit and Crit rates during Enemy Phase should be displayed, even if only through a small box just with those two numbers.

For example, when playing a map for the first time or with a new party, I check the range, statistics and skills of the enemies and try to calculate whether or not my front liners can stand a certain Enemy Phase. Without animations (that is, without Hit and Crit rates), my units might die without being able to identify my error, for the unit might have died against a (un)lucky 16 % Hit, against a skill, against a crit or against a 93 % Hit that was miscalculated on my part. (I know that skills and crits have special sounds, but it is not easy to note them without animations.)

On the other hand, I also like to know how lucky are my units's dodges. For example, a couple of months ago, playing Conquest Ch 13, Benny sitting on a bridge tile dodged 7 out of 8 magic hits (there were four enemies, and each doubled him --everybody does.) Since animations were turned off, I never knew how lucky Benny was. Perhaps the enemies had a 17 % chance of hitting him and the dodges were expected, perhaps the chance was 91 % and Benny was a fucking ninja with better reflexes than Ryoma.

I suffered this lack of information specially during the last month, when I was crunching numbers about critical hits by my party (in particular, by Ophelia and Odin), and animations were necessary to take notes during Enemy Phase.

Edited by starburst

• 2 weeks later...