Do you think Three Houses would follow Fates 1 game for the price of 3 approach?

Spatha

Despite the mixed reception regarding the fact Fates is cut into Conquest, Birthright and Fates. It even more of a moneymaker for Nintendo.

I think Nintendo and IS are willing to do it again with Three Houses and this time with all the experience they have gotten it.

Just like with Corrin, Byleth has to choose between Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude and just like Birthright and Conquest, the two remaining kingdoms would be your enemy before turning to the Church of Seiros and the true antagonist.

If the above events happen, I really hope IS would actually make a complete story with good writing this time.

I doubt it'll happen again for this game but I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt the concept again makes money for their wallets like it or not it will sell ALOT as the past shows.

(Fates was one game for the price of three..?)

Did we have pre-orders up for Fates by itself when it was announced? Three Houses' listings don't really imply other versions. Not to mention it's a lot easier to go the $40 X 2 route (even though you could get the other game as DLC for half the price) than $60 X 3. Nintendo and IS want to make money, yes, but $180 isn't going to really attract anybody. $80 is about what a retail game + an expansion costs on big-boy consoles, so that's not a stretch. Even if you went with the whole half thing, $120 is still way too much. Most "Gold Edition" games don't even get that high.

7 minutes ago, PickleKnight97 said:

(Fates was one game for the price of three..?)

Did we have pre-orders up for Fates by itself when it was announced? Three Houses' listings don't really imply other versions. Not to mention it's a lot easier to go the $40 X 2 route (even though you could get the other game as DLC for half the price) than $60 X 3. Nintendo and IS want to make money, yes, but $180 isn't going to really attract anybody. $80 is about what a retail game + an expansion costs on big-boy consoles, so that's not a stretch. Even if you went with the whole half thing, $120 is still way too much. Most "Gold Edition" games don't even get that high.

More like 1 game for price of 2 but you get the idea.

Just like with Three Houses. there was little information regarding Fates besides it's trailer. It was only later they reveiled it was going to be having 2 games.

I'm not even concerned about the business prospect. I'm concerned about scope. Intelligent Systems' great weakness seems to be that their resources don't live up to their own ambitions. Whenever they try to attempt something truly grand (the huge maps of Geneology, the multi-faction Radiant Dawn, or the branching narrative of Fates), the results tend to have glaring flaws. It's better when they reign in their focus and attempt to tell a single linear story with well-designed maps. 

As hard as I am on Fates for how terrible the writing is, people need to give the "1 game for the price of 3" narrative a rest. For starters, all three routes together are $80, which is the price of two 3DS titles, not three. Second, there is enough game content for three full Fire Emblem games. The writing is bad and some maps are shamelessly reused but I'd say you're getting your money's worth. Three mediocre games for the price of two is fair in my mind.

Now, should or will Three Houses go this direction? No and No. Fates suffered horribly for stretching the development resources so thin. It wasn't even them being overly ambitious, the whole thing stinks of pushing deadlines they couldn't possibly meet and we got a story that felt like the scaffolding of an actual story. I'm not worried about Three Houses failing (in this manner). Fates having three routes was its gimmick and nothing I've heard suggests to me that Three Houses will be split into purchases.

Edited by NekoKnight

the artist, consumer, and person who likes games in general in me says "haha, fuck no!"

the shameless businessman in me says "haha, fuck yes!"

so i guess it really depends on how much integrity they have.

I'm not discounting the possibility, especially in light of the game featuring three protagonists besides the avatar who can potentially wage war against each other.

But naturally I hope they don't. Whenever a new Fire Emblem game was announced, one feature that you could always count on being asked for by classic fans above many other suggestions is route splits. And Fates essentially monetized route splits. Even to a point where they committed the cardinal sin of "true ending dlc". 

sigh...just imagine three games, each titled "Fire Emblem: House ________"

At worst we’ll likely get some prequel DLC or something somewhere down the line that’ll cost AT MOST about 5-7 bucks. Seriously I doubt IS is THAT stupid to pull a stunt like that again.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

Aka "I'm still holding a grudge against the business model used for Fates."

Get over it already.

I second this

I really hope not. They're already going to be making more money because Switch games are more expensive than 3DS games, and as much as I love Fire Emblem, I don't want to fork out more than £50 for it - I just don't have the money.

7 minutes ago, Florete said:

Aka "I'm still holding a grudge against the business model used for Fates."

Get over it already.

I don't think most people here are aggressively against the business model. For what we paid for, we got a loooot of content. 

The amount of stretching that was required for Fates to be 3 games, though? Mister Fantastic is wincing in pain just thinking about how thinly spread a lot of that Fates content was to justify paying double the price of a normal game. The direction of the game was not helped by this at all. 

You'll have to forgive us lesser fans, or whatever that second bit of your post is supposed to be getting at, for not wanting to see that happen again. 

Edited by Slumber

8 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's one of the reasons why Fates received so many 1* ~ 2* reviews on Amazon on Day 1... I don't think they're THAT stupid.

I never take Amazon reviews seriously and I'm sure other devs do too just look what happen with Let's Go....Negative reviews especially with very lack of valid criticism than just "I hate this, this is dumb etc" is not new. If the grand consensus is if it was overall vocal in the subject at hand then it would matter again Amazon reviews aren't valid.

I'm rather sure they aren't going that route. In the castle where you're instructing Edelgard, you can clearly see Dmitri in the background.

Capture.thumb.PNG.104f2ce95322be32c4010ebc4b2495fb.PNG

Let's hope this topic doesn't attract the crowd who spends every waking moment hating fates, this seems tempting for them.

57 minutes ago, Janiforme said:

I'm rather sure they aren't going that route. In the castle where you're instructing Edelgard, you can clearly see Dmitri in the background.

Let's hope this topic doesn't attract the crowd who spends every waking moment hating fates, this seems tempting for them.

Agreed.....and yeah was gonna bring that up I'm gonna assume this is very early in the game that we'll meet with him to get him too so the choice aspect likely won't be a thing or at least not the main focus as far as the story is concerned.

2 hours ago, Guest Lae said:

I never take Amazon reviews seriously and I'm sure other devs do too just look what happen with Let's Go....Negative reviews especially with very lack of valid criticism than just "I hate this, this is dumb etc" is not new. If the grand consensus is if it was overall vocal in the subject at hand then it would matter again Amazon reviews aren't valid.

There were definitely some of those comments, but there were long essay reviews that explained their reasoning as well. There's also the fact that the reviews were overwhelmingly negative, and not just mixed. If the nuances of those reviews don't exist, then the broad strokes still say something.

Even then, I don't think I found any invalid criticism at all, because that'd be complaining based on misconstruing the game. I'd call what you described unconstructive criticism instead, which is present among the actual reviews. You could say you'd take Amazon reviews etc. with a grain of salt, but I don't think they're useless, especially if the same sentiments are found elsewhere.

Maybe. I hope it's not the case but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. 

1 hour ago, Janiforme said:

His haircut looks different to me. This guy seems to have spiky hair unlike Dimitri.

13 minutes ago, Thunderstar said:

His haircut looks different to me. This guy seems to have spiky hair unlike Dimitri.

That's because the camera is zoomed out it'll look off he has the blue cape colors.

34 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

There were definitely some of those comments, but there were long essay reviews that explained their reasoning as well. There's also the fact that the reviews were overwhelmingly negative, and not just mixed. If the nuances of those reviews don't exist, then the broad strokes still say something.

Even then, I don't think I found any invalid criticism at all, because that'd be complaining based on misconstruing the game. I'd call what you described unconstructive criticism instead, which is present among the actual reviews. You could say you'd take Amazon reviews etc. with a grain of salt, but I don't think they're useless, especially if the same sentiments are found elsewhere.

Even elsewhere is just as unreliable like Metacritic also with its reviewbombing there's really no trusted site for reviews unless its one where you have ENOUGH experience with the particular games genre(the cap is very important), you know what your in for, keeping "personal views" about particular things in a game out of your reviews (you know the type...) and explain in your opinion why a certain aspects wasn't done the best then I can consider it a valid review. But I usually go with my gut and make my own judgements which for the most part is pretty good since my preferences are more cater to me.

5 minutes ago, Guest Lae said:

Even elsewhere is just as unreliable like Metacritic also with its reviewbombing there's really no trusted site for reviews unless its one where you have ENOUGH experience with the particular games genre(the cap is very important), you know what your in for, keeping "personal views" about particular things in a game out of your reviews (you know the type...) and explain in your opinion why a certain aspects wasn't done the best then I can consider it a valid review. But I usually go with my gut and make my own judgements which for the most part is pretty good since my preferences are more cater to me.

Eh, I personally think it's a dangerous thing to cherry pick criticism, especially criticism directed against oneself. But that'd be too off topic.

52 minutes ago, Thunderstar said:

I saw a better view of this and its definitely Dimitri like someone said that image not only is it still framed but zoomed out so it doesn't look clear when its not close.