Langrisser M General

redlight

Langrisser recently had it's mobile game announced for a NA localization. And my first impression of it is wow. There's so much effort put into this game (compared to Heroes) despite carrying the "gacha stigma". Right now it's in beta so there are mishaps here and there. You can read a article of it here along with important links mentioned in it: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2018-11-29/the-legend-returns-langrisser-mobile-cbt-begins/.140158. The link to the game download is in the facebook page mentioned in the article

For those living in the EU or other places where the official download is unavailable, I don't know what the policies is for apk files is on this site so you'll have to search it for yourself. I will give a hint tho: "Langrisser Mobile Beta"

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Fenreir said:

oh boy, and here i thought it died off after the SNES/SEGA Saturn era.

good to know it's coming back to life once more, it's probably one of the many forgotten jems from the 90s that never left Japan.

Langrisser actually had a few PS1 titles. 

It died super hard in the PS2 era when Growlancer became a thing though. That franchise basically supplanted Langrisser, and if I recall, Growlancer is also dead now. 

7 hours ago, Fenreir said:

oh boy, and here i thought it died off after the SNES/SEGA Saturn era.

good to know it's coming back to life once more, it's probably one of the many forgotten jems from the 90s that never left Japan.

A remake of 1 & 2 is coming in February as well.

20 hours ago, Slumber said:

Langrisser actually had a few PS1 titles. 

It died super hard in the PS2 era when Growlancer became a thing though. That franchise basically supplanted Langrisser, and if I recall, Growlancer is also dead now. 

well, actually there is also another title of the Langrisser serie for Nintendo 3DS, it's just that many of those games didn't really get much attention outside of Japan, hence why they're not well known except to JRPG fans.

13 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

it would have been way better if they just gave it the same treatment of the Tribute version for the Sega Saturn, with all chapters included from 1 to 5.

that way it would become a nice collection for people who never knew/played Langrisser. otherwise, there's always emulators.

It sounds really good.  I mean getting to replay the battle stages from the first 5 games, co op vs dragon play, class system, and it looks amazing.  I never go for betas though, so I will wait til official release.  Despite gacha system which I hate, just like Heroes I will check out this game cause I love the main series so much.  Der Langrisser, was incredible.  Langrisser IV was also translated and was amazing.  Really like each character having their own squadron of troops, it adds a lot.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:51 AM, Fenreir said:

it would have been way better if they just gave it the same treatment of the Tribute version for the Sega Saturn, with all chapters included from 1 to 5.

that way it would become a nice collection for people who never knew/played Langrisser. otherwise, there's always emulators.

Possibly, since retro gaming has been "in" these past couple of years.

Apparently, Langrisser M has been a hit in China so maybe they're remaking them in the hopes of making more money from their newly acquired fanbase? IDK, but now's the time to really market the Langrisser series.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:31 PM, Dandy Druid said:

Is this JP only? I havnt been able to find anything on this coming to NA

I've only came across Langrisser recently because of a youtuber who normally discusses Fire emblem.. im really impressed with this mobile title..  Sad the "beta" is now pulled, with no ETA when full release starts

Edited by JoeyW001

18 hours ago, JoeyW001 said:

Is this JP only? I havnt been able to find anything on this coming to NA

I've only came across Langrisser recently because of a youtuber who normally discusses Fire emblem.. im really impressed with this mobile title..  Sad the "beta" is now pulled, with no ETA when full release starts

As of now it is JP only unfortunately. They're set to launch Feb 7 in Japan for the Switch. Although, you could get a JP copy because the Switch isn't region locked. However, if you do not mind emulating, you could probably find them somewhere online. The first one did come to the West as "Warsong" for the Genesis, so you would need to find a Genesis emulator. If not, it may be available in the PlayStation Store.

My guess is that they are going to wait to see how well the games do in Japan and how well the mobile game does globally. The mobile game did attract a lot of attention, even outside the FE community, so it may do well in the West (I hope it does at least). I remember reading that the global version will be a few months behind the Chinese version, so maybe it'll come out early next year. Although just having "2019" irks me a bit.

Although I've heard that many people prefer the Mobile game over the actual Langrisser games. Although the remakes haven't come out yet, a lot of people really do like the mechanics of Langrisser M and think of it as a refined version. A different company makes the mobile game, but the CEO is a superfan of Langrisser and fans have noted that the gameplay has improved because of that.

Anyways, I do hope that Langrisser does get some traction in the West. It is a great series and a wonderful alternative to Fire Emblem. 

Was the youtuber LuckyCrit?

I thought this series was dead forever with Reincarnation being poorly received. 

But its not. I'm so happy to know that~  

I had recently completed Der Langrisser this year, having played it before a few years back. So its nice to know it and the first game are getting remade, along with the mobile game!

On 12/1/2018 at 10:16 PM, Slumber said:

Langrisser actually had a few PS1 titles

I vaguely remember hearing about there being an N64 Langrisser that was considered incredibly bad (unfortunately I can't find info on it, so I may just be imagining things)

EDIT: Nvm it was a Dreamcast game, Langrisser Millenium. 

Edited by Flee Fleet!

@JoeyW001 Release Date set to be Jan 24, 2019 if there's no delays.

On 12/20/2018 at 1:11 PM, Jedi said:

Looks like this collaboration will get me to play it.

This collab event looks interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Langrisser mobile game comes out next week.(At least for EU finally)
I am thinking about giving it a try and hope that it gets accepted in the west. My fear would be that Langrisser global could be down in a certain time.. I had it with Tales of already. 

Also I want too look at Langrisser 1 and 2 which will come out on switch. Retro gamers may not like the port, but for me it is a chance to learn about a different SRPG.

How would experienced Langrisser player say, is it a good moment to start for newcomers?

Edited by Stroud

23 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Also I want too look at Langrisser 1 and 2 which will come out on switch. Retro gamers may not like the port, but for me it is a chance to learn about a different SRPG.

How would experienced Langrisser player say, is it a good moment to start for newcomers?

Can you elaborate onnthe retro gamer part? Is because if the character design? I am a retro game and have nothing but hype

As for the second part, langrisser is very simillar to fe. The main difference is that any unit can recruit general troops and lead a small army a feature that 3 Houses seem to be taking. I played both 1 and the snes version of 2.

The firat has... issues. I have seen some insane fluctuation of the damage dealt in the very same situation, which is crippling in a game whit permadeath, and sevaral unit are 100% identical to each other. The plot is also your run-off-the-mill "save the world from the big bad evil guy." It's  mhe experience, but they may improve it.

As for 2, it is one of my favorite srpg. For starters they introduced multiple path and allowed you to join every faction, including the "garnef". The plot is relatively simple, and has some problem, but it did a cool in making every faction both relatable and flawed. And the indipendent route is one hell of a power trip when you get to kick the butt of everyone whit a very small force.

The gameplay improved everything. Generic troops are more varied and effective, and you can build an unit as a dedicated commander, there are much more spells and equipment that allow formany peculiar strategies. You can play the same route several times whit completely different strategies, wich, coupled whit the 4 routes, give the game great replaybility. 

The only problem is that the game can be a litle too easy if you optimize the mc on creation(you get a questionaire that give you stats, spell or items depending on your answers. If you always pick the stats increasing one the mc will be Chuck Norris), or exploit the gamebraking stuff, and it has only a soft permadeath this time, if we can call it a permadeath at all(units don't die, but you get a worse ending if they get killed even once, so you will still likely reset on a death).

Sorry if i got carried away.

2 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Can you elaborate onnthe retro gamer part? Is because if the character design? I am a retro game and have nothing but hype

Maybe I used the wrong term. I am als a retro gamer in certain aspects. And have grown with nes/snes. I just read about gamers who have grown with Langrisser and some of them didn't like how Langrisser has been remade in some ways like optics.

And its ok to go more into it. I just asked for it and wanted to know a bit more about Langrisser overall. And I will give it a try. If not the mobile game at least 1 and 2. Have to free some space from my smartphone eventually.

It just seems to have the things I wanted Fire emblem to have. Choices you can make. Tactics Ogre had it in some ways. Even if not perfect.
And it is also interesting to see that some things in three houses may be not totally new. Depending on how they deal with it.

Also have to admit that the trails in the sky banner is baiting me. So if I don't know any characters for the moment I know these at least. And it reminds me a bit on something like Record of Lodoss war. Which should not wonder, because it was made around the same time.

PSA: This game dropped in EU about ~3 hours ago. Yorokobe, EU shounen!

Well, the game greeted me with a SSR (Bernhardt) at the first 10-ticket roll. I guess I'm playing this now?

EDIT:
Has the Langrisser games been known for 4th wall breaking or is it this game's gimmick?

Edited by Magus of Memery

I've heard you have to log in with your facebook account and give them access to your audio/pics on phone or something?   That sucks if true I don't want any game company to have access to my personal data.  

The game is definitely interesting. Im enjoying it so far, and itll definitely be something I keep toying with. Its got a lot to do for being a relatively new release. And with a collab event already announced, I am interested in seeing what we get in the future as well. Perfect timing for this to release as well, I just started the original yesterday, and have the 2nd downloaded and ready to go with its english patch.

I hope the game does well, more TJRPG/SRPGs on the market is not a bad thing at all.