I hope that Awakening and Fates won't influence Three Houses too much

Roland

So, I might get flak for saying this, but I hope than while developing Three Houses, Intelligence Systems won't take too much influence from Awakening and Fates. Despite the massive success the two games have had, I just feel as if the ideas presented in those two games didn't work at all. If Awakening and Fates are going to influence Three Houses, I hope it's the right kind of influence.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Roland said:

So, I might get flak for saying this, but I hope than while developing Three Houses, Intelligence Systems won't take too much influence from Awakening and Fates. Despite the massive success the two games have had, I just feel as if the ideas presented in those two games didn't work at all. If Awakening and Fates are going to influence Three Houses, I hope it's the right kind of influence.

As long as the story's quality isn't tarnished and the writing is decent, than we should be fine.

Too bad expect it they know what succeed and makes alot of money that matters at the end of the day as long as the story is good and the new gameplay mechanics are fun that's what matters.

I think we should wait until we get another trailer or just general information before being pessimistic.

Anyways. Would it really be so bad if Three Houses took inspiration from Awakening and Fates? Yeah, we're most likely going to get an avatar in the form of Byleth, which is New Mystery's fault, but it seems likely that he'll be a silent protagonist as we haven't seen/heard him speak in any way, in dialogue boxes, or in his critical cut in.

I highly doubt that we'll be getting the child mechanics, simply judging by how young the characters look. They look younger than a majority of the Awakening and Fates cast, probably due to the change in artstyle, but still.

Gameplay wise, it's way too early to judge, but I'm getting SoV vibes so far.

Story wise, again, it's too early to judge, but it's a different setting, which means a different story. There's no telling how it'll turn out.

This may sound naïve, but I fail to see what - outside of what I've mentioned - is so bad about Awakening and Fates' influence.

The mechanics of fates were some of the best ever, so I wouldn't mind if they copied some of the good elements. The bad thing about fates was the story, mainly the fact that it was too focused on the avatar character. That can't really happen in Three Houses. I would also like it if they kept the support system from fates, but I think it is more likely it will be similar to SoV with the game being fully voice acted. 

From what I have seen from the trailers, it would appear that the game mechanics are very different from any game up to date, but really, nobody can tell at this point.

Every game in a series gets influenced by each other so it's impossible to think there won't be any but every game despite that has its own identity. Their obvious aim like any company is to make as much sales as possible so if they know what things pushes copies in the grand scheme especially with their current high momentum expect the obvious even with the small info we know points to some confirmations of what's returning(Avatar, Supports, MyCastle hub, Weapon Durability and Combat Arts). As long as there's a great story, great gameplay, no 2nd gens and meaty lasting content it'll be fine for me. Outside of certain things Awakening and Fates were still great I hate when some bring it up like it's "bad"....

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

2 hours ago, Roland said:

I'd say you'd get more flak hoping that IS takes influence from Awakening and Fates.

I myself am hoping for a tone similar to Path of Radiance (mind you I'm not that far in this game) and Shadows of Valentia, which I feel manages to have both serious and silly moments without either being too detrimental to the story. If anything carries over from Fates and Awakening, I hope its just casual mode, avatar creation (but with more diverse options and not implementing the avatar in the story the same way these games did), out-of-combat supports, and player interaction that Fates and Awakening had. I also liked the option of alternate class lines for units and the idea of utilizing the environment strategically that Fates had. I'd prefer it feel less gimmicky though. Characterization and character growth I feel should only take from the few good examples present in the games. Of what I've played so far, I feel Blazing Blade, Shadows of Valentia, and Path of Radiance do a much better job at character growth in general.

Edited by Arcphoenix

I'm not too worried about that myself. Fire Emblem games have always reinvented themselves to some degree whenever they switched consoles so I think Tree Houses will chose its own identity over trying to mimic Fates and Awakening. This being a console game and FE being much bigger now might also mean the team has more resources to work with which gives devs temptation to use those to the fullest. 

I think it comes across as more tellius and SoV so far, hopefully byleth isn't a proxy through which the game can fellatiate the player again, mark only existed for this purpose, robin was fairly bad, but not the worst, corrin was painful in every regard and I hear that kris was really bad to, my hope is that byleth doesn't exist in the story, I doubt that will be the case, but I just hope that it is the case, because I am getting tired of the game going so far out of it's way to let me know that I did that.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think Tree Houses will chose its own identity over trying to mimic Fates and Awakening.

quick, someone wrote a synopsis of this!!

What ideas did you not like? Writing? Gameplay? Characters?

Some of the best gameplay in the series came from Fates, so I wouldn't mind if they took a page out of Conquest's book. Although they aren't my favorite Fire Emblems, they weren't completely trash. They did have some good elements that future games should try to have. 

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

What ideas did you not like? Writing? Gameplay? Characters?

Some of the best gameplay in the series came from Fates, so I wouldn't mind if they took a page out of Conquest's book. Although they aren't my favorite Fire Emblems, they weren't completely trash. They did have some good elements that future games should try to have. 

Most of my gripes comes from a Story and Character perspective. This is probably a horse grinded into dust, but the stories were bad, even for this series standards of writing I feel. As for characters, I just couldn't bring myself to care about them. Far too many of them felt bland for me, and I'd like for Three Houses to make some effort in being better than those two in the character department, since it is not a hard thing to write characters better than Awakening and Fates if you ask me.

As for gameplay, really I just want better map design and the Pair Up unit to be scrapped. More maps on the quality of the first half of Conquest's map design would be great.

Edited by Roland
Grammar

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Most of my gripes comes from a Story and Character perspective. This is probably a horse grinded into dust, but the stories were bad, even for this series standards of writing I feel. As for characters, I just couldn't bring myself to care about them. Far too many of them felt bland for me, and I'd like for Three Houses to make some effort in being better than those two in the character department, since it is not a hard thing to write characters better than Awakening and Fates if you ask me.

As for gameplay, really I just want better map design and the Pair Up unit to be scrapped. More maps on the quality of the first half of Conquest's map design would be great.

I actually like Pair Up.

I agree that the story should be better then Fates (though honestly I am keeping my hope low), but Conquest had some of my favorite maps in the series so if the map designers from Conquest work on Three Houses I will be happy.  Pair up is OK to me, yes it needs more work but I would be fine if it came back in some way.  I think part of the reason the characters are bland in the newer games is them having to write so many supports and the casts being large, SoV has a much smaller cast and the writers did not have to write supports for everyone with everyone so of course those are better.  So I am hoping for limited supports (like the GBA games) where the supports are pretty in depth and explore the characters more.

Edited by EricaofRenais

17 hours ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Me too hope it's back it has even more great potential with the new squad mechanic it would be a complete miss opportunity!

It would not be a missed opportunity at all lol.

Pair up is a bad mechanic because it completely broke awakening. In fates they did a little better job, but extra attacks make defending a choke point much more dangerous by allowing you to be susceptible to more enemies. Pair up blocking is also kind of silly, garunteed blocking is cheap, the stat boosts are generally too favorable to not pair up, and it also makes the game really hard to balance. They did a decent job with conquest, but awakening, and the other two paths were a joke. There's no in-between if you're going to balance it around pairing up, then it's almost a requirement and a mechanic that takes away half your team is just silly. Whats the point of having all these characters is they're going to relegated to pair bots. 

I agree with Roland as well, the characters were usually very bland and I didn't care about them (in fates and awakening) but not any of the other games. I think it's a combination of the art style and writing.

8 hours ago, Guest Harken said:

It would not be a missed opportunity at all lol.

Pair up is a bad mechanic because it completely broke awakening. In fates they did a little better job, but extra attacks make defending a choke point much more dangerous by allowing you to be susceptible to more enemies. Pair up blocking is also kind of silly, garunteed blocking is cheap, the stat boosts are generally too favorable to not pair up, and it also makes the game really hard to balance. They did a decent job with conquest, but awakening, and the other two paths were a joke. There's no in-between if you're going to balance it around pairing up, then it's almost a requirement and a mechanic that takes away half your team is just silly. Whats the point of having all these characters is they're going to relegated to pair bots. 

I agree with Roland as well, the characters were usually very bland and I didn't care about them (in fates and awakening) but not any of the other games. I think it's a combination of the art style and writing.

Yes it would its a good mechanic that's been balanced and can get even further in developing so again yes I hope it returns.......

On 1/12/2018 at 5:11 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm not too worried about that myself. Fire Emblem games have always reinvented themselves to some degree whenever they switched consoles so I think Tree Houses will chose its own identity over trying to mimic Fates and Awakening. 

This is what I was going to post. Every "generation" of FE has a different feel to it and does new things so regardless of how anyone feels about 3DS FE, it would be a shame if they didn't try something new for the next hardware jump. I'm cautiously optimistic based on the first trailer that Three Houses will have its own identity. I certainly hope so anyway.

I want Three Houses to be its own thing, first and foremost. Sure, it's an entry in an old series, but changing things up quite a bit would be nice; Nintendo has done it twice recently with Breath of the Wild and Pokémon Sun & Moon (to greater and lesser extent) while still retaining the core feeling, so why not do the same here? Preferably in terms of the plot.

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

I want Three Houses to be its own thing, first and foremost. Sure, it's an entry in an old series, but changing things up quite a bit would be nice; Nintendo has done it twice recently with Breath of the Wild and Pokémon Sun & Moon (to greater and lesser extent) while still retaining the core feeling, so why not do the same here? Preferably in terms of the plot.

It depends on what they do with it honestly outside a more open ended world or multi structural plot it doesn't need a big revamp at all.

Storywise I totally agree: the story should be influenced from Tellius/Jugdral, and a backstory and worldbuilding on par with said two entries or Binding Blade Elibe.

As for the basic in-chapter gameplay and battles, I would actually prefer they adopt Fates Conquest. Particularly, how they set up the EXP scaling so that you actually cannot low-man the game, the Skills that allows for different strategies, the actual difficulties (and the high CPU intelligence) that the enemies impose on the player yet still being fair.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:26 PM, Lau said:

This may sound naïve, but I fail to see what - outside of what I've mentioned - is so bad about Awakening and Fates' influence.

You know what I’m in agreement. Aside from the obvious in your face fanservice and god awful writing in fates, I fail to see the problem. And even with the fanservice, I feel that really only applies to fates in the grand scheme things. Yeah awakening had fanservice but it was only slightly  more than what could be found within the rest of the series(as far as I can tell anyway then again kozaki’s artsyle could’ve had a play in that).

And as far as a writing perspective goes, all we can really hope for are a good story and characters. Like what specifically about fates and awakening’s writing could influence three houses? The only things I can think of is the otaku pandering from fates and some archeatypes specific to those games(which aren’t much as far as I can tell).

and even with all that said, it’s all a matter of execution if nothing else. The only thing I truly do not want from these two games the blatant in your face pandering to the lowest common denominator.