Roland

I hope that Awakening and Fates won't influence Three Houses too much

Despite every game obviously sharing similarities every single one is unique that has something the other hasn't.

I have become a fates apologist as of late, and I would like to say that conquest, birthright, and even rev have some of my favorite gameplay in the series. (I feel the need to mention that I have been playing the series since the release of FE7, and now have completed every game in the franchise) To say that these games didn’t work on a mechanical level is objectively wrong.

Sure the story was poorly written (though beet for beet it is not a terrible story line, it just needed some help with writing conventions and world building) but replay value and gameplay are at an all time high in my opinion. The reason players think it is bad is because people misconstrue fates’ poor storytelling as a bad gameplay feature. 

For instance, players see children characters as a bad addition to Fates, often citing narrative reasons for why kids should not be in the game. That does not mean it is a poor gameplay element. I would offer the opinion that children characters add depth and replay ability. 

I hope three houses borrows a lot of elements from games across the entire series, including fates and awakening. But whatever happens with it, I am sure it will be a good to great game.

Birthright's plot isn't even atrocious by Fire Emblem standards. Conquest and Revelation are, but they're both obviously trying to be something other than the classic FE plot structure. Fates should have just abandoned the obvious marketing gimmick and had the narrative start off with a much shorter version of Conquest where Corrin bails out once the mass murder starts and heads to Hoshido where they meet up with the Ryoma/Takumi Crew. Then Birthright happens more or less until Garon is beaten. Then the joint army heads up to Valla to stab Anankos to death.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.