Woah a fe project

Blank64

So recently I started making a fe game with FeBuilder and it's coming out pretty nicely, currently there are 5 playable units and chapters. After the 5 chapters the game will continue as a normal Fe8.

Here's the link: https://mega.nz/#!paIgEShL!jBSxefrqRXFpN_qapNzUv0_QLZy-w4z8jVv_yLd-QiY

It doesn't have a title yet and it's still kinda buggy, but I hope you can have fun!

Edited by Blank64

Okay.  I've played from the Prologue through Chapter 3.  The good:

• The portraits look pretty decent so far, aside from what I believe is your self-portrait, which has crooked blinking frames
  • I like the character palettes, especially Auphoros's (though maybe he could use a custom male Manakete sprite and colors that don't change when he transforms)
  • Most everyone is pretty good, though Blank feels just a little underpowered, like he could use one more point of Mag or Spd

The bad:

• The Unit Menu background should probably be changed to something with a darker color to make the text a little easier to read
  • A few typos here and there in the script, including a lack of space after periods sometimes.
  • Some exposition before the first chapter would be nice to have
  • Some Swords don't display their Mt in the Unit Menu for some reason

I'm gonna play through this and give feedback but first: REMOVE THAT LINK RIGHT NOW!!! Distributing roms is illegal and forbidden by the rules of any forum, so remove that link and upload a patch instead; FeBuilder has indeed a feature that allows you to make a patch out of an edited rom, so no reason not to do that, I never used it but I know it exists and it should be pretty straight-forward

@Blank64 ping so that you can see this

edit: wrong subforum now that i think about it, should have gone into Fan Projects

Edited by Koumal8

5 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

I'm gonna play through this and give feedback but first: REMOVE THAT LINK RIGHT NOW!!! Distributing roms is illegal and forbidden by the rules of any forum, so remove that link and upload a patch instead; FeBuilder has indeed a feature that allows you to make a patch out of an edited rom, so no reason not to do that, I never used it but I know it exists and it should be pretty straight-forward

edit: wrong subforum now that i think about it, should have gone into Fan Projects

Oof.  Now that you mention it, you're right.  I felt like something was wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Good thing SRPG Studio doesn't really have this problem or I'd be a dead man.

@Blank64 Good, I don't have windows with me rn to try and patch it, but it should be good (you can give it a try yourself with a vanilla fe8 rom if you want to, to see if the patch file works, it not having an extension puzzles me since windows ALWAYS puts the extension at the end of the file's name)

I played the prologue and I saw the opening cutscene of ch.1, these are my critiques gameplay-wise:

• prologue map is honestly kinda boring, I can point you to a few resources to better understand good map design, but for reference, just compare Prologue's map with your own Ch.1's map, which at a glance seems miles better, if only because you put a defined path through it
  • stascreen background NEEDS to be changed, it’s just a punch in the eye and makes it pretty difficult to read words/numbers

• Shade has no reason to exist; Flux will be better in every situation: it’s plenty accurate unless enemies in later chapters suddenly become super dodgy, has 4 more Might and doesn’t even slow Blank down; should there be a character with E dark in a later chapter grinding Dark weapon rank with Shade will be a MASSIVE pain

6 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Shade has no reason to exist; Flux will be better in every situation: it’s plenty accurate unless enemies in later chapters suddenly become super dodgy, has 4 more Might and doesn’t even slow Blank down; should there be a character with E dark in a later chapter grinding Dark weapon rank with Shade will be a MASSIVE pain

Weird.  I thought for sure he was having an easier time doubling and killing things with it.  Maybe I was targeting the wrong enemies when comparing the two.  I wasn't paying a lot of attention to Con.

16 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

@Blank64 Good, I don't have windows with me rn to try and patch it, but it should be good (you can give it a try yourself with a vanilla fe8 rom if you want to, to see if the patch file works, it not having an extension puzzles me since windows ALWAYS puts the extension at the end of the file's name)

I played the prologue and I saw the opening cutscene of ch.1, these are my critiques gameplay-wise:

• prologue map is honestly kinda boring, I can point you to a few resources to better understand good map design, but for reference, just compare Prologue's map with your own Ch.1's map, which at a glance seems miles better, if only because you put a defined path through it
  • stascreen background NEEDS to be changed, it’s just a punch in the eye and makes it pretty difficult to read words/numbers

• Shade has no reason to exist; Flux will be better in every situation: it’s plenty accurate unless enemies in later chapters suddenly become super dodgy, has 4 more Might and doesn’t even slow Blank down; should there be a character with E dark in a later chapter grinding Dark weapon rank with Shade will be a MASSIVE pain

Alright I'll keep this in mind

Sorry for the late replies but i don't get notifs and stuff. Also a fellow italian owo

When you log in, check the top right corner.  If you see a red number, someone quoted you.

Except me, because I'm awful like that.  Anyway, off to Fan Projects with you~!