Best thing about PoR and RD?

Sub Zero

How the story starts so small in PoR and then by the end of RD it's massive. The wonderful characters. The music. The Ike x Soren. The fact that I played this game when I going through a hard time in my life. All of those are good.

Base (hats down the best in the series, at least IMO), music, story (PoR), somewhat balanced cast as in a lot of the units you get are useful (in PoR), info menu for character introductions

Edited by silveraura25

Since I haven't played any of the two games I can't tell anything about the maps etc. But I think Tellius has some very deep characters and even if in some scenes they aren't well written, they still represent a good attempt at writing a complex character. And I really like how Radiant Dawn focuses so much on the story. It has several flaws, but it's still better than the very simplistic ones that most of the games have, in my opinion.

Has the best continent/countries.

Best and Biggest Character Roster.

Each character has unique traits and personalities.

Combat is still better then awakening and fates. 

Best lords/Heros. 

Best story and narration of any Fire emblem title.

So much detail given about the world.

Created relatable topics/persons for us to identify with (Race differences and politics etc)

i could keep going on lol. 

22 hours ago, Emperor Chiam Longblade said:

T
E
L
L

U
S

!

I know you guys will despise me for this but...

I don't like the Tellius games.

GASP!

Ok, I dont..I don't MIND the Tellius games but I just couldn't get into the story and characters.

I played PoR and RD multiple times and I just couldn't get into it.

I do like some of the mechanics but that's really it.

Ike is not the worst MC in the series but he's just kinda boring, even in the late portion of the two games.

The other characters are...alright? They certainly aren't garbage tier but they aren't good enough to be considered the "best characters of all of Fire Emblem".

Hopefully I didn't make any enemies typing this. I didn't mean to type this to make anyone pissy, I just want to get my opinion out there. I can see why people love the Tellius games and I can say that it has its positives but it just ain't good enough in my eyes. 

Edited by Emperor Chiam Longblade

2 hours ago, Emperor Chiam Longblade said:

I know you guys will despise me for this but...

I don't like the Tellius games.

GASP!

Ok, I dont..I don't MIND the Tellius games but I just couldn't get into the story and characters.

I played PoR and RD multiple times and I just couldn't get into it.

I do like some of the mechanics but that's really it.

Ike is not the worst MC in the series but he's just kinda boring, even in the late portion of the two games.

The other characters are...alright? They certainly aren't garbage tier but they aren't good enough to be considered the "best characters of all of Fire Emblem".

Hopefully I didn't make any enemies typing this. I didn't mean to type this to make anyone pissy, I just want to get my opinion out there. I can see why people love the Tellius games and I can say that it has its positives but it just ain't good enough in my eyes. 

huh i see these kinda opinions about the game vaguely and i could never understand why. Its superior to every other fire emblem game in everyway. Care to elaborate on what you don't like about it? just curious. 

These are my favourite fire emblem games.
Things i like:
The writing and the way the story is set up from PoR to RD.
Black knight <3 - the way he rekts everything left and right and isnt afraid of anyone, too bad we didnt see him duel and kill caineghis after he killed greil. Also too bad we didnt see him duel and kill tibarn in tower of guidance/river crossing.
Sephiran - a very well written antagonist imo. 
Recruitment themes - best in the franchise.
3 unit tiers in RD.
They brought back skills from FE4(which is also one of my favourites).

Things i dont like:
PoR is too easy - im playing hard mode now and its still too easy.
RD is too hard - it was my first fire emblem game and it was painfully hard to play.
Dheginsea isnt recruitable :/

6 hours ago, Crystalflame said:

Dheginsea isnt recruitable :/

Deghinsea is my fourth favourite character but I think him being recruitable would ruin his character. He's supposed to be unwavering in his convictions and stubborn. Also, he'd be too game breaking if he joined you in the last two maps. 

I'd say the best things about these games is base conversations, bonus EXP, world building, characterization and story. 

I haven't played RD yet, so let @Rose482 do that part + PoR.

But I reeeally am liking PoR, I like how it's story is, granted I'm at chapter 16 so I don't know it all but I've been loving it so much. I don't know why but when I saw Mangs' LP of it, it always made want to play FE. Now that I'm playing it, maybe it will be my favorite instead of SoV or maybe RD once I play it who knows :P

Edited by Critical Sniper

Personally, as someone who's still playing through both games for the first time, I don't have much to talk about.

I find that in the Tellius games, the things I find the best would be the soundtrack and the story itself.
Let me explain.
(As of right now, I'm on chapter 11 for PoR and 4-4 for RD)

So far, in Path of Radiance, I find the music is actually a key part of the setting for the story.
For example, Ike's Resolution gives the emotion that Ike feels when beginning his journey as a full-fledged mercenary.
It is rather fast paced and upbeat, showing his inner excitement at what is to come.

Similarly, in Father's Back, it gives a melancholic set up to what will later be Greil's death. The night is cold and still, and everything is dark.
We get the feeling that Ike hasn't spent much time just talking to his father, just bonding. But now he has a chance. The music becomes more uplifting, 
but then goes silent. Almost as if we, as the player, were being warned that something was coming to an abrupt end. And the title of the piece itself holds its own significance.
It could refer to "Father is back" or the literal meaning, which is Greil's back. In a sense, we can say that although Ike doesn't know it, his father is "back" in Gallia. 
On the flip side, it could also be foreshadowing Greil's ultimate downfall, a fatal stab that pierces through his front and out his back. 
[Side note, this soundtrack made me cry]

For Radiant Dawn, well I find it's more of the story and characters that's the best thing

The story is told from an ever changing point of view, first of Daein, then of Crimea, then Begnion and ultimately the world of Tellius as a whole.
This gives a chance to explore different perspectives. An underlying but prominent theme in Radiant Dawn would be prejudice. It is carefully woven into the story. 
How do the Laguz feel? What are the thoughts of the Beorc? What happens to the Branded? These are all explored in Radiant Dawn and they really make the story feel organic,

The characters are also very well written.
In PoR, I utterly disliked Shinon - he felt like a really flat character whose gimmick is just "I hate all your incompetent butts".
But in RD, my perspective was changed. He wasn't a flat character at all. On the outside he may look like he doesn't care, he really does have meaningful bonds with other people,
for example, Rolf. 

And the significance of Soren's clothing colors are also very prominent. In PoR, he straight up calls Mordecai and Lethe "sub-humans" after they rescued him and the other mercenaries, even going so far as to attempt an attack. He is closed off and distant, trusting no one but Ike. Hence, his robes are black. His heart is still filled with hatred, he still holds a grudge.

However, as we move into Radiant Dawn, you start to notice that his clothes are not longer black. They have become a soft, monochromatic shade of gray. He is starting to open up to others, to becoming more open-minded. He begins to get over his hatred for Laguz, and hence, is lightening his emotional burden.

Finally, in his third tier promotion, his robes are white. He has finally left behind the hatred, he has become a less distant person and as a whole, he has grown more tolerant of others.

This sort of growth/character development? Hard to find.

Props to Tellius. 

PoR's story was solid, and RD's story was more ambitious with the changing perspectives and I appreciate that.

I liked the characters, especially Jill's character development where she hates the laguz at first because that's how she was raised, but then after joining the Greil Mercenaries she sees that laguz and beorc aren't that different and starts to change for the better. Most of the characters were at least fun to use in battle or had entertaining personalities.

They added some fun things to the gameplay without changing too much (shove, reintroducing personal skills, laguz units, ledges). The base is also fun to mess around with, with bonus exp, forges (even though I don't use them much), and the support conversations (in PoR) and info conversations to flesh out the world and characters.

The maps are fun and have varied objectives and RD can be very challenging which I like.

Haar is broken in RD and it's really fun lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Best main characters and core cast

Best world building in the series especially with all the side convos and base convos

Coherent decent story helps that it had two games as direct sequels to build everything up

Personal note I always loved the art style and sprite work of the Tellius games

I enjoyed the base conversations, especially in RD (as I recall, PoR has a few too many which were just Ike + someone, that got stale pretty fast). It's great to see characters have meaningful dialog with each other in different groups, and at natural times in the story (unlike supports which can occur whenever and are limited to two people).

Radiant Dawn was the first game in the series IMO which felt like it had properly-designed enemies, instead of fodder which you tower over stat-wise. PoR was getting there. Other games have repeated this since, but at the time, coming off the GBA games, it really stood out.

Supports building in ways that didn't glue you to your allies.

Shopping being a thing that happened between battles instead of during them.

Senri Kita's art is amazing and still my favourite in the series.

Easily the best setting in the series, with two games of setup and a lot of payoff. I love how the actions of characters like Dheginsea and Sephiran are informed by this setting work.

Solidly done stories overall. They're not perfect (too much Ike worship in particular), but they're the best the series has to offer, excluding the last third of PoR.

Soren is a great character who singlehandedly raises my opinion of the games' writing.