If you could change one move on a character, what would it be?

Fabulously Olivier

Title should be self explanatory for this fun little game. I've included some of mine for examples.

Chrom 

Change Neutral Special to Ike's Side Special.

Change made to improve Chrom's piss poor recovery. And it's not like Shield Breaker is really necessary.

Ike 

Change Neutral Special to a shock wave projectile from Ragnell.

His current Neutral Special doesn't thematically fit and is just one more slow, heavy melee attack in a kit full of them. This change would reference part of his actual Fire Emblem gameplay and improve his versatility.

Roy

Change Neutral Special from Shieldbreaker to Ike's current Neutral Special.

Change made because it's thematic and helps make him distinct.

Mario

Change generic grab to Cappy throw, which possesses the foe for new throws and lets you walk a short distance as them. You can also jump into the hat to recover and grapple ledges with it.

This is more of a thematic/fun change, but any changes to regular Mario also serve to make Dr. Mario more unique.

Edited by Etheus

Sonic's Side Special or Down Special.

I feel the dev team could have gotten much more creative than giving Sonic what would now essentially be considered a custom move of one special in place of the other. Suggestions? I feel down B should work as a bounce or drop-dash when used in midair while Side does damage to any fighters that come too close.  Alternatively, side could be a boost I guess (like in Smash Flash 2) or perhaps the boost kick from Sonic Heroes as a chargeable side special with a bit of endlag, like Ike's

Edited by Arcphoenix

Pikachu's Skull Bash. While I like that this move has clear improvements in Ultimate, it's a superfluous special move for pikachu to possess. In terms of recovery, there's nothing Skull Bash can do that Quick Attack cannot do with more safety and mixups. The problem is I can't think of too many moves to replace it with. All of Pikachu's iconic moves are accounted for except for iron tail (he does have tail attacks though). Maybe a thunder wave move that briefly stuns victims in a straight line. Or a Nuzzle command grab that accomplishes the same effect but you must get in very close range. 

Wario's Dsmash. Yes it's improved in Ultimate like many underutilized moves but I think we're missing an opportunity to reference another Wario Land game. In Wario Land Shake It he could punch the ground to flip enemies over. In Smash the move won't be great for launching, but can trip nearby opponents on the ground, leading to a tech chase with Wario's Bike. Though I do admit what Wario needs more than anything is reliable move to KO with, not more gimmicks. Honestly, I can think of at least five moves with Wario I'd like to see changed for balance reasons and for more references to his games, but it is nice he's been receiving some updates at all.

Yoshi's Egg Roll. What is the point of this move? I'd like to replace it with something involving Poochy. Summon Poochy to ride on, and you can jump off of him as a slight recovery option or followup on opponents as he bum rushes them.

Jigglypuff's Sing. Make Sing a taunt and give her a proper recovery move. It's not especially weird for taunts to serve as gimmicky attacks, and I don't like the degenerate use of it at the ledge so making it a taunt can open the door for something to make her recovery better. Simply puffing up like Villager's balloon trip works for me. I've heard people suggest Jigglypuff ought to have some fairy type projectile move to replace rollout, and I say either change would be appreciated in order to make her more well rounded.

Ganondorf's Warlock Punch. This move doesn't do the man any favors. Replace it with a cape reflector so that he's not walled off so easily by projectiles. It'll also double as a reference to Phantom Ganon in OoT.

Link's Spin Attack. Replace this with Revali's Gale when you hold the button and floating with the glider when you tap the button. A stamina meter must be managed and can only be recharged slowly on the ground.

Toon Link's Spin Attack with Roc's Cape from Minish cap. I feel like with Toon Link you can get the most creative with his moveset in referencing past zelda games. I also want an aesthetic switch of his hook shot to the whip from Spirit Tracks. And give him a Final Smash inspired by the Four Swords series. :o

Samus' crawl. Not really a "move" change but Samus ought to have a crawl in morph ball form.

7 hours ago, Etheus said:

Title should be self explanatory for this fun little game. I've included some of mine for examples.

Chrom 

Change Neutral Special to Ike's Side Special.

Change made to improve Chrom's piss poor recovery. And it's not like Shield Breaker is really necessary.

Chrom could’ve had Smash 4’s Ike’s Aether Drive custom special and probably given super armor to prevent people from Meteor Smashing him while he does the move. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

<s>Well this ruins an idea I had for a thread.</s>

Replace Roy's side B with a projectile. It's the Blinding Blade's most prominent thing in FE6 and would really help distinguish him from Marth.

Warlock Punch to Warlock Blade. Never wanted Ganondorf to primarily use a sword in Smash, but I really appreciated the extra reach and tipper this gave him in SSB4. Warlock Punch is difficult enough to land as is to the extent that this could be a straight up Buff rather than an alt.

Ganondorf should have Corrin's back air. It's probably his most unfitting attack that he's retained since Melee.

Just plain weird Pikachu's skullbash hasn't been replaced by iron tail. It could even use mostly the same animation. Or to make to distinguish Pikachu and Pichu more, it could be something like Shulk's backslash.

Speaking of Shulk, he should have Monado Buster. It's too cool an attack not to be featured some way. Not sure what I'd replace though. Maybe his neutral special and leave the arts as some kind of taunt mechanic.

To make Palutena's counter more distinct, I'd make it a paralyzing counter that utilizes a flash of light from her shield. She has an attack that blinds you in her Uprising boss fight that serves as justification for it.

Replace Toon Link's spin attack with the Deku Leaf. If we're going to have three Link's in the game then we can damn we'll make them different.

Give Samus a freezing affect on her forward Smash. The ability to freeze things is one of the most iconic and plot relevant of Samus's abilities in Metroid yet it's completely unrepresented in her moveset.

I fully accept Dark Samus being a Samus echo, but she could get at least one special to differentiate the two. My vote would be to replace Screw Attack (which Dark Samus has no connection to as far as I can recall) with her attack where she turns into a meteor, rises up and then pounds down at an angle.

Edited by Jotari

Shulk's vision should work like Witch Time, to better match how visions work in Xenoblade.

Make one of Link's tilts reflect projectiles. It would be a good reference to the Zelda tennis matches.

Make Mario's down special the ground pound. he would also be able to cancel the ground pound with the attack button for a dive attack, like in Mario Odyssey.

3 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

Shulk's vision should work like Witch Time, to better match how visions work in Xenoblade.

Make one of Link's tilts reflect projectiles. It would be a good reference to the Zelda tennis matches.

Make Mario's down special the ground pound. he would also be able to cancel the ground pound with the attack button for a dive attack, like in Mario Odyssey.

I think it'd be cool if there were some exclusive Spirits like there were exclusive Stickers in Brawl. Namely, it'd be great if there was a Mirror Shield spirit that made Link reflect projectiles using his shield.

Make the Pokémon Trainer’s Pokémon separate character

Sonic: Flame Shield Side-B. Either that, or Drop Dash Down-B.

Dark Samus: Let her down Smash be the tentacle things she summons as an Assist Trophy in Smash 4.

Pichu: Final Smash should seriously be Nuzzle.

Incineroar: Change Darkest Lariat to Side-B. I need that fiery ejaculation in my life.

Chrom: Final Smash should be his Confession sprite, followed by a stab.

King K. Rool: Make his Down-B a body slam the summons cannonballs.

Dark Pit: Change Final Smash to Arrow Rain.

Lucina: Give her Chrom’s current Final Smash.

Robin: Put Morgan in his/her Pair Up when fighting Chrom.

Donkey Kong: Change Final Smash to the moon punch scene from DKC Returns.

PAC-MAN: Change Down-Air to the Butt Bounce from PAC-MAN World.

Young Link: Change his entire moveset to the transformation masks Change his Final Smash animation to the Fierce Diety.

Ganondorf: Change his Neutral-B to the wave of darkness he emits to Link at the end of Ocarina of Time.

Daisy: Tweak her Neutral-B to include Crazee Dayzees.

Greninja: Change his Final Smash to an Ash-Greninja Water Shuriken.

That’s it from me for now.

36 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

Make the Pokémon Trainer’s Pokémon separate character

Sonic: Flame Shield Side-B. Either that, or Drop Dash Down-B.

Dark Samus: Let her down Smash be the tentacle things she summons as an Assist Trophy in Smash 4.

Pichu: Final Smash should seriously be Nuzzle.

Incineroar: Change Darkest Lariat to Side-B. I need that fiery ejaculation in my life.

Chrom: Final Smash should be his Confession sprite, followed by a stab.

King K. Rool: Make his Down-B a body slam the summons cannonballs.

Dark Pit: Change Final Smash to Arrow Rain.

Lucina: Give her Chrom’s current Final Smash.

Robin: Put Morgan in his/her Pair Up when fighting Chrom.

Donkey Kong: Change Final Smash to the moon punch scene from DKC Returns.

PAC-MAN: Change Down-Air to the Butt Bounce from PAC-MAN World.

Young Link: Change his entire moveset to the transformation masks Change his Final Smash animation to the Fierce Diety.

Ganondorf: Change his Neutral-B to the wave of darkness he emits to Link at the end of Ocarina of Time.

Daisy: Tweak her Neutral-B to include Crazee Dayzees.

Greninja: Change his Final Smash to an Ash-Greninja Water Shuriken.

That’s it from me for now.

While I would be up for changing Ganondorf's final smash if it means making Pig Beast Ganon playable, the dark waves he uses in Ocarina of Time would be a little underwhelming considering they had absolutely no affect on Link.

• 2 weeks later...

One more I forgot. I wish in Melee Ness got a different Up B. PK Thunder would have functioned just fine as a neutral special, and this was the only entry in which moves got shifted around to accommodate a fourth special move. Ness' Up B should be PSI teleport and it would function as one of many warp up specials. I know canonically Ness needs a running start for this move, but Ness can't canonically perform Thunder or fire so I'm not inclined to care. It's also notable that in the Melee cinematic intro we see Ness performing PSI teleport so clearly it was on the developer's minds.

Would be cool if you could play as a one of the 3 starters without the kid or the ability to switch, and have a unique down B (bringing back Rock Smash for Charizard).

16 minutes ago, Johann said:

Would be cool if you could play as a one of the 3 starters without the kid or the ability to switch, and have a unique down B (bringing back Rock Smash for Charizard).

I think it'd be cool if all the pokemon characters had trainers standing in the background. Mostly to have Giovanni for Mewtwo, but representing the trainers from other regions would be nice too.

43 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think it'd be cool if all the pokemon characters had trainers standing in the background. Mostly to have Giovanni for Mewtwo, but representing the trainers from other regions would be nice too.

It'd be a nice option, but for now I miss being able to play as a lone Charizard without a dumb kid talking or having to down B every time I die

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

One more I forgot. I wish in Melee Ness got a different Up B. PK Thunder would have functioned just fine as a neutral special, and this was the only entry in which moves got shifted around to accommodate a fourth special move. Ness' Up B should be PSI teleport and it would function as one of many warp up specials. I know canonically Ness needs a running start for this move, but Ness can't canonically perform Thunder or fire so I'm not inclined to care. It's also notable that in the Melee cinematic intro we see Ness performing PSI teleport so clearly it was on the developer's minds.

I think the running mechanic is too deeply ingrained in Mother's teleportation to make it a simple warping recovery. I could see it as some kind of Side B similar to Palutena's Super Speed that warps you back to where the attack started after some distance. Still, even discounting Teleport, they still could have given Ness a warping recovery by having him steal Ninten's 4th D Slip. I doubt anyone would have cried foul at that given the characters are identical in all but name.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:11 PM, Etheus said:

Ike 

Change Neutral Special to a shock wave projectile from Ragnell.

His current Neutral Special doesn't thematically fit and is just one more slow, heavy melee attack in a kit full of them. This change would reference part of his actual Fire Emblem gameplay and improve his versatility.

This, 100%. This is the one thing I hate that Sakurai did with Ike, mainly because he at first said "it'd be too OP" but then turned around and let Cloud have the move! Really made me mad and still kinda does. Eruption is still cool in its own way though.

Edited by Anacybele

42 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This, 100%. This is the one thing I hate that Sakurai did with Ike, mainly because he at first said "it'd be too OP" but then turned around and let Cloud have the move! Really made me mad and still kinda does. Eruption is still cool in its own way though.

Thinking about it, shouldn't Roy also be able to fire projectiles? The Binding Blade is able to perform 1-2 hit after all.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:28 AM, Jotari said:

Speaking of Shulk, he should have Monado Buster. It's too cool an attack not to be featured some way. Not sure what I'd replace though. Maybe his neutral special and leave the arts as some kind of taunt mechanic.

He does have Buster. One of the selectable arts.