Spatha

The next FE story should have multiple factions(protagonist included) fighting and plotting against each other in an ongoing conflict.

Recommended Posts

If there's one predictable thing about the FE series' plot, it's the fact most of the conflict is one sided.

A protagonist faction and the main antagonist faction. Sure you usually fight minor factions but they are usually siding with thr antagonist faction anyway. And no, monsters and bandits don't count.

FE4 and FE10 are great examples of what I'm talking about. Many players in the same game making moves against each other in an ongoing conflict that lasts the whole game. Even then though, it ends with the protagonist faction fighting the main antagonist faction in their endgames.

Still, I'm not saying that there should be no Big Bad faction, it just that the Big Bad is just one of the many major factions the protagonist has to face and only after the protagonist has managed to resolve or defeat all of the other players before fighting the Big Bad.

From other games, Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts 2, Brigandine and Langrisser also have the same setup as the two FE games I've highlighted. All of them portray the complexity of world and how messy war is.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love if they did something like that again, really it's one of the many reasons I love FE10 tbh, so hopefully FE16 would give us something like that.

 

It's a shame really, I feel like FE14 COULD have given us something like this, and in a way it did, but in the overall story it didn't bring out the world or make it any more complex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have So many reason why i love FE 10 but one of them is that your mainlords are not of royal descent. Ike is the only one i believe to not have to do with some kinda royalty. i think it would be good if they strayed away from the royalty stuff and focus on a mercenary band like the Greil mercenaries or something completely new. This is gonna sound strange but imagine if there was like a Nights Watch like in Game of thrones. Your starting gang are all criminals and all swore the sacred vow to protect the edge of the known world. could either make it so some country calls upon you guys to fight to the death for them in some war or some kinda foreign invader comes and attacks and you escape barely with just your lives and weapons. more Elaborating is obviously needed but just an interesting idea i thought could work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't the trailer for Three Houses already suggest that this is already a thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically you want another Radiant Dawn. I'm not a fan of going into that direction, even in RD the blood contract forced much of the later plot in the game. Which cheapened the motives for a much of characters. That would require clever writing to accomplish. Balancing the game is a whole other story. 

Edited by Jingle Bells

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if it ended up being like RD, that's not a bad thing in my book, and no matter what you think of the blood contract, it still made FE10 one of the most gray games in FE, which is very needed these days when almost everything is either black or white in FE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think gameplay wise, you spread yourself too thin to have several factions that are playable so I think two playable groups should be the max.

Naratively speaking, I'd love for there to be several factions. The two things I'd really like to see are: 1. antagonistic forces that are not inherently evil or are allied to the big bad. They would just be acting in their own self interest. 2. Things should be happening in the world that are not directly related to things the protagonist is involved with. For example, while you repelling an invasion by A nation, a large battle betwen occurred between B and C nation, changing the balance of power on the continent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it from a narrative standpoint, but it could be a bit too ambitious for FE to take on. What mainly concerns me is that they'll have to create TONs of characters and in doing so, have to rely on cheesy character tropes like Fates in order to characterize them. They would also have to make different story paths for each one, and I'm afraid they'll leave each one behind a paywall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I like it from a narrative standpoint, but it could be a bit too ambitious for FE to take on. What mainly concerns me is that they'll have to create TONs of characters and in doing so, have to rely on cheesy character tropes like Fates in order to characterize them. They would also have to make different story paths for each one, and I'm afraid they'll leave each one behind a paywall.

Did I say I want multiple playable factions? No, I only want more factions besides the Big Bad and the Protagonist competing for whatever reasons or goals they have.

Heck, you don't even need route splits for that. You just need cutscenes showing and fleshing out each of the factions goals, desires and morality.

And again, you don't need that many characters to flesh out a faction.

That faction may just have:

The Faction Leader

His/Her trusted right-hand man.

His elite generals.

And all of the lesser generals.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spatha said:

Did I say I want multiple playable factions? No, I only want more factions besides the Big Bad and the Protagonist competing for whatever reasons or goals they have.

Heck, you don't even need route splits for that. You just need cutscenes showing and fleshing out each of the factions goals, desires and morality.

And again, you don't need that many characters to flesh out a faction.

That faction may just have:

The Faction Leader

His/Her trusted right-hand man.

His elite generals.

And all of the lesser generals.

 

 

 

A three of four sides battle?

Red Green Blue Yellow fighting each other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

So basically you want another Radiant Dawn. I'm not a fan of going into that direction, even in RD the blood contract forced much of the later plot in the game. Which cheapened the motives for a much of characters. That would require clever writing to accomplish. Balancing the game is a whole other story. 

The Blood Pact's problem is that it's an excuse for Ike and Micaiah's armies to battle without either side being the "villain." They could have easily rewrote the plot so that the Laguz Alliance went to war on Begnion with Daein also going to war on Begnion to punish it for the last war. That wouldn't be able to show off the dual armies gimmick though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.