Revival of Revival of SF Tourneys: Smash Ultimate

Jedi

https://challonge.com/fzy9wa06 

Folks we're getting close. The 14th is looking fairly favorable, although it might be on the 15th depending on some folks. (It'll likely bleed into it anyways). 

The First of Many Tournaments to be hosted from the Serenes Smash Discord! 

(Can be joined here and I recommend it for those of you who aren't yet). 

https://discord.gg/x3SE9Hk 

3 Stock, 8 Minutes 

Unfortunately due to the poor method of how lobbies work, all stages will be hazardless for the time being. 

Stages 

Starters 
Battlefield 
Final Destination 
Smashville 
Pokemon Stadium
Town & City

Counterpick  
Lylat 
Castle Siege 
Kalos 
Warioware 
Skyloft 

@Armagon @Robin126 @Johann @Slade @Tenders @Anthony @Florete @thecrimsonflash 

I recommend you lot join the discord even if you only use it for this, as that way match making can be very easily handled. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

What time on the 14th?

No specific time, as I have that day off, anytime folks can do their matches honestly from the 14th onward, I’d just rather as many matches that can be done get done.

Did you wanna join?

25 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Right, I'm here. I signed up when you last talked about this, anything specific I need to do here?

Adding, my sheet wasn't updated for some reason! But mostly the discord would be the main thing to do while we wait since if we get everyone in there we can arrange the matches easier. 

36 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I was already on the discord

also, can someone explain how tournaments work generally, I am not completely aware of how counterpick stages work, and are the matches best of three?

Oops. 

Ok, so how a match generally works (yes you have a best of 3 for matches and best of 5 for finals). 

the two players will do something either rock/paper/scissors,  flipping a coin or something like it to see who strikes a starter stage first (we have methods on discord too). The winner of the game strikes one stage of their choice. After this, the loser of the random game strikes two stages, then the winner strikes one last stage. The one remaining stage is used as the first stage for the set. So they effectively choose the starter from the 2 remaining stages

The counterpick stages aren't used until after the first match, where in the person who won gets to strike two stages of their choosing before the loser picks what stage to go to, the pool of stages is the entire set at that point. 

You are also allowed to gentleman to a stage if you and your opponent agree to it, and in that case any stage may be chosen if you two agree on it.

Also bumping @Johann 

If Frida and the weekend are still awkward for you, maybe we can at least get one or two of your matches done early, I don't have a problem with people doing any of their sets early.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Also bumping @Johann 

If Frida and the weekend are still awkward for you, maybe we can at least get one or two of your matches done early, I don't have a problem with people doing any of their sets early.

That'd be helpful, I'm going to be non-stop busy from Friday evening to Sunday night.

Got Discord up, though I've never used it so hopefully I don't miss something important

As I said on Discord, I am unable to play until next week, but then I can probably join in a future tournament.

Hopefully the distance between myself and others not in the UK/Europe and my Grandparents' internet won't give latency problems.

8 hours ago, General Horace said:

as someone who needs a refresher, how do character picks work?  I'm sure it's blind pick for game one but afterwards how are character picks done?

I wanna say it's "winner decides to switch/stay" then "loser decides switch/stay" 

But I need to reconfirm. 

12 hours ago, Florete said:

I'm in the Discord as Parallel_Falchion.

My mistake. 

11 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I see. I'll join.

Nice, i'll add you

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, saw the challenge page. When will I be required to do my first match? I see I have an extra one.

Friday/Saturday is when I’d like a bulk of these to get done but I’m flexible. Can try to do some early if you’d like.

Also the extra matches are just an unfortunate result of our odd number.

Im also cutting off any future registers from this point on, so we have our full set now.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

Yes.

Ah. Okay, so it's all just happening on Discord. I suspected as much. I'll be around for fights in about eight hours if that suits. If that's not good enough and I'm holding up the whole tournament, feel free to kick me out,

Yeah it's going on, although I haven't heard from 3 of our people at all and if I don't here soon I might auto advance because all the rest of us have posted/etc either here or discord