Why is Rinea popular?

I mean, I assume she's popular, since she got 76th place in CYL 2, making her the sixth most popular SoV character (after Celica, Alm, Kliff, [surprisingly] Delthea, and Berkut) and the most requested one since Kliff got in.

Is it her design? The fact that what happens to her is tragic? People wanting to see her witch form appear in another Fallen Heroes banner?

Just curious.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I'm going with "what happens to her is tragic".

Related:

tumblr_oqutf5WL3X1uwnwqvo1_500.png

I love Texts from the Emblem

Yeah I'm going with that interpretation, that or it has to do with this fanbase's love of fire jokes.

Judging from the reactions so far, I'm gonna say it's a similar case to Dorcas in that it's all about the memes.

That, and I guess after SoV people wanted more Valentia representation in Heroes.

Though I will say that the second CYL poll likely is even less representative of popularity than the first one, since at this point it's mostly just Heroes fans voting rather than FE fans as a whole and because there were specific goals in mind that went beyond just simply "I like x character".  So in that sense, I think making the top 100 in CYL 2 is more indicative of the characters Heroes fans want to see/get alts of in their game.

43 minutes ago, Slumber said:

She's hot.

I'll see myself out.

*insert Seinfeld theme here*

Although Rinea is pretty.

32 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Judging from the reactions so far, I'm gonna say it's a similar case to Dorcas in that it's all about the memes.

That, and I guess after SoV people wanted more Valentia representation in Heroes.

Though I will say that the second CYL poll likely is even less representative of popularity than the first one, since at this point it's mostly just Heroes fans voting rather than FE fans as a whole and because there were specific goals in mind that went beyond just simply "I like x character".  So in that sense, I think making the top 100 in CYL 2 is more indicative of the characters Heroes fans want to see/get alts of in their game.

Hmm, fair point, especially on the meme thing.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Why is Berkut so popular? He's barely more relevant than Rinea.

I feel like it might be because he's one of, if not THE most compelling 3DS antagonists, and the fact that he works as a great foil to Alm.

3 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Because LIES LIES LIES.

^ And this.

Ian Sinclair's performance was amazing.

Many reasons I think:

• She's a pretty woman
  • Not sexualized which is a bit of fresh air *cough* Camilla *cough*
  • Unplayable unit in the game she come from, maybe many peoples want to use her
  • Heroes can also add character developpement to some characters to those who didn't had any in their games. Rinea didn't got any sadly unlike Berkut.

I pretty much agree with @Nym, but I'll add on:

• has memes about her.
  • stood out from the other antagonists because she was the only compassionate one.
  • perhaps the closest we got to the "Camus" archetype in SoV, and the "Camus" is always popular (she has a lot of parallels to Ishtar, who is also popular)
  • A tragic beauty- a design choice not utilized in many FE games, but is a pretty popular trope in various media forms.

I'll also say that she has potential to be on different banners- a SOV one, a Fallen Heroes one, a Winter seasonal, etc.

9 hours ago, Nym said:

Many reasons I think:

• She's a pretty woman
  • Not sexualized which is a bit of fresh air *cough* Camilla *cough*
  • Unplayable unit in the game she come from, maybe many peoples want to use her
  • Heroes can also add character developpement to some characters to those who didn't had any in their games. Rinea didn't got any sadly unlike Berkut.

1 and 2: Fair point.

3. Again, fair point, even I want to use her.

4. Yeah, character development would be good for someone who only appeared three times.

6 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I pretty much agree with @Nym, but I'll add on:

• has memes about her.
  • stood out from the other antagonists because she was the only compassionate one.
  • perhaps the closest we got to the "Camus" archetype in SoV, and the "Camus" is always popular (she has a lot of parallels to Ishtar, who is also popular)
  • A tragic beauty- a design choice not utilized in many FE games, but is a pretty popular trope in various media forms.

I'll also say that she has potential to be on different banners- a SOV one, a Fallen Heroes one, a Winter seasonal, etc.

1. Considering Dorcas, I feel like memes might have something to do with her high scoring. (Also, Brave Sigurd when?)

2. Again, fair point, since she's one of the nicer Rigelians.

3. I'll take your word on the Ishtar thing since I haven't played FE4 yet.

4. I mean, look at Sayaka from Madoka, tragic beauties are really popular.

5. .... You know that gave me the idea that Rinea would be a good idea for a winter alt.

I guess people want to see her together with Berkut. I can't really give straight answers for something like this as can anyone else really. Guesses could potentially keep us at peace for questions, but a teeny bit of doubt lingers nonetheless because the truth is unobtainable

Edited by silveraura25

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Because she is submissive and shallow.

That could be attributed to the fact she only appears in, what, three cutscenes? We don't know much about Rinea's personality, she could be socially awkward or shy.

1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:

She's blank enough to that people can insert personalities onto her.

Fair point.

1 hour ago, silveraura25 said:

I guess people want to see her together with Berkut. I can't really give straight answers for something like this as can anyone else really. Guesses could potentially keep us at peace for questions, but a teeny bit of doubt lingers nonetheless because the truth is unobtainable

Ah yes, the age old answer, shipping.

And philosophy.

9 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Not necessarily unobtainable. If we survey everyone who played the game and asked them their opinion on the character we can discover precise how well she is liked and for what unifying reasons. Rather than being unobtainable, such a project is merely beyond the resource capabilities any of us possess or are willing to expend. But ultimately the answer is not unobtainable. In lieu of that we can use Serenes as a sample set to find what the prevalent traits, at least in this community, lead to her popularity. That will give us an estimate, which is different to a guess, as to where the true answer lies. Although to get that answer we'd more need to ask the question "Why do you like Rinea" instead of "Why is Rinea so popular" as the current question prompts people to speak on others behalf.

15 hours ago, Jotari said:

Not necessarily unobtainable. If we survey everyone who played the game and asked them their opinion on the character we can discover precise how well she is liked and for what unifying reasons. Rather than being unobtainable, such a project is merely beyond the resource capabilities any of us possess or are willing to expend. But ultimately the answer is not unobtainable. In lieu of that we can use Serenes as a sample set to find what the prevalent traits, at least in this community, lead to her popularity. That will give us an estimate, which is different to a guess, as to where the true answer lies. Although to get that answer we'd more need to ask the question "Why do you like Rinea" instead of "Why is Rinea so popular" as the current question prompts people to speak on others behalf.

Think I should change the title to "Why do you like Rinea", then? Maybe that would solve the question.

Somehow I just like her in spite of what sov gave her. She had a lot of potential to be a well-written and interesting character if she and Berkut got more screen time, but even then her memory prism doesn't really do much for that, and she hardly reacted if at all when she was turned into a witch. On the flip side she is a nice departure from the 'evil, sexualized second in hand lady' i've come to expect from fe.

3 hours ago, kyoukory said:

Somehow I just like her in spite of what sov gave her. She had a lot of potential to be a well-written and interesting character if she and Berkut got more screen time, but even then her memory prism doesn't really do much for that, and she hardly reacted if at all when she was turned into a witch. On the flip side she is a nice departure from the 'evil, sexualized second in hand lady' i've come to expect from fe.

That's... pretty much my opinion of her too.

Although admittedly my only experiences with the "evil, sexualized second in hand lady" are with Aversa, Arete, and possibly Camilla since I haven't met Sonia in 7 yet (Unless Selena from SS counts, does she count?).

12 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Think I should change the title to "Why do you like Rinea", then? Maybe that would solve the question.

Oh I was just being overly philosophical on the matter. Topic title you have is fine.

7 hours ago, kyoukory said:

Well when you have basically zero personality traits or influence on the plot, it's not hard to have a lot of potential.

Edited by Jotari

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Oh I was just being overly philosophical on the matter. Topic title you have is fine.

Okay.

This thread is a lot more philosophical than I thought it would be, I was expecting a bunch of fire jokes TBH.

6 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

This thread is a lot more philosophical than I thought it would be, I was expecting a bunch of fire jokes TBH

It isn't LIT enough for your liking? You want to get BURNED by the jokes I'm throwing out? Think you can handle the straight FIRE coming from my mouth? I've got years of practice with Arvis jokes, just interchange it with Rinea and you've got a brand new joke. That's hot, it's real HOT.

Fire puns aside, I personally really like her design. That's it, oh, and a nice voice actor I suppose. Without the voice, she loses basically all semblance of a personality. Not much there to dig into, but what is there is pleasant. She's a tad LUKEWARM if I had to, damnit that was another pun.

1 hour ago, DarthR0xas said:

It isn't LIT enough for your liking? You want to get BURNED by the jokes I'm throwing out? Think you can handle the straight FIRE coming from my mouth? I've got years of practice with Arvis jokes, just interchange it with Rinea and you've got a brand new joke. That's hot, it's real HOT.

Fire puns aside, I personally really like her design. That's it, oh, and a nice voice actor I suppose. Without the voice, she loses basically all semblance of a personality. Not much there to dig into, but what is there is pleasant. She's a tad LUKEWARM if I had to, damnit that was another pun.

I had to open my freaking mouth.

NOW THIS IS WHAT I WAS EXPECTING!