Why is Rinea popular?

I never really got the sense that Rinea was an overly popular character, but I do see why people are asking for her to be in Heroes. She's not playable, could be a less fanservicy dancer character, and people can pair her up with Berkut. Oh yeah, and fire memes.

Outside of Heroes, Rinea helps humanize Berkut a bit, is a non-sexualized female character when they could have easily made her so, and acts as a subtle foil to Celica (both detest violence, but Celica isn't afraid to fight while Rinea leaves when things were about to get ugly at Zofia castle. Celica's relation to Alm and Rinea's with Berkut also have some parallels and contrasts). Again, I can see why she has fans, although her limited screen time and lack of a more definite personality probably do prevent her from being as popular as she could be.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2018-12-15 at 5:22 PM, Jingle Bells said:

She's blank enough to that people can insert personalities onto her.

Yeah I'm going with this. Rinea literally doesn't speak to any other character than Berkut, unless you count her reacting to something Nuibaba says. She's more of an accessory to him than her own character, which allows people to kind of insert their own ideas of how she should, or could, be as a person. 

I also think her ending makes people more sympathetic towards her, but that is one of my very least favorite scenes in the entire series, so I can't say it does much for me.

21 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I never really got the sense that Rinea was an overly popular character, but I do see why people are asking for her to be in Heroes. She's not playable, could be a less fanservicy dancer character, and people can pair her up with Berkut. Oh yeah, and fire memes.

Outside of Heroes, Rinea helps humanize Berkut a bit, is a non-sexualized female character when they could have easily made her so, and acts as a subtle foil to Celica (both detest violence, but Celica isn't afraid to fight while Rinea leaves when things were about to get ugly at Zofia castle. Celica's relation to Alm and Rinea's with Berkut also have some parallels and contrasts). Again, I can see why she has fans, although her limited screen time and lack of a more definite personality probably do prevent her from being as popular as she could be.

heavily agree with this.

I was going to say something else, but my brain blanked out, oh well.

9 hours ago, Thane said:

Yeah I'm going with this. Rinea literally doesn't speak to any other character than Berkut, unless you count her reacting to something Nuibaba says. She's more of an accessory to him than her own character, which allows people to kind of insert their own ideas of how she should, or could, be as a person. 

I also think her ending makes people more sympathetic towards her, but that is one of my very least favorite scenes in the entire series, so I can't say it does much for me.

I for one highly headcanon that she is likely into Berserk-esque stories because it's always the shy girls that are into that sort of stuff.

I like Rinea, but I can agree that it would've been nice to see more of why she loves Berkut so much before you know what (not counting the Memory Prism of course, which is after the fact). Berkut is one of my favorite villains, but I do agree that it would've made both Rinea and Berkut's end even more sad if we understood more of why Rinea loved him so much. I still like her mind you, but it is a shame that we don't really see more of her in SoV's story.

Side note, I know some of you may find this odd, but I actually did cry during Berkut's death scene. It's one of the few times in Fire Emblem where I actually cried (the other times being Lyon's death in Sacred Stones, Greil's death in Path of Radiance, and the ending of the first generation in Genealogy of the Holy War).

12 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

I like Rinea, but I can agree that it would've been nice to see more of why she loves Berkut so much before you know what (not counting the Memory Prism of course, which is after the fact). Berkut is one of my favorite villains, but I do agree that it would've made both Rinea and Berkut's end even more sad if we understood more of why Rinea loved him so much. I still like her mind you, but it is a shame that we don't really see more of her in SoV's story.

Side note, I know some of you may find this odd, but I actually did cry during Berkut's death scene. It's one of the few times in Fire Emblem where I actually cried (the other times being Lyon's death in Sacred Stones, Greil's death in Path of Radiance, and the ending of the first generation in Genealogy of the Holy War).

The main reason I didn't cry was because I got spoiled.

I attract spoilers like the plague.

• 4 months later...

I want Rinea in the most because I love Berkut and the love between the two is really nice and pure, (apart from the whole Berkut going crazy and murdering her part but he still loved her in the crazy state), and her design is really nice. I just want them to be together again! ;-;

35 minutes ago, Its_Sam_My_Dude said:

I want Rinea in the most because I love Berkut and the love between the two is really nice and pure, (apart from the whole Berkut going crazy and murdering her part but he still loved her in the crazy state), and her design is really nice. I just want them to be together again! ;-;

That scene accounts for like 59% of their entire interaction as characters.

Assuming the next banner in Heroes is Shadows of Valentia because of Legendary Alm, what would you say the chances of Rinea being included are? I'd be fine with her on the banner just as long as either Python and/or Tatiana was also there, but what do you guys think?

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Assuming the next banner in Heroes is Shadows of Valentia because of Legendary Alm, what would you say the chances of Rinea being included are? I'd be fine with her on the banner just as long as either Python and/or Tatiana was also there, but what do you guys think?

I think we're sorely lacking a Rudolf shaped hole in the game first and foremost.

2 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

I'd like her to be on the next banner, but I feel like the next units are going to be Python, Luthier, Tatiana, and Silque with Rudolf has a GHB.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think we're sorely lacking a Rudolf shaped hole in the game first and foremost.

I can see Rudolf as a GHB

4 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I'd like her to be on the next banner, but I feel like the next units are going to be Python, Luthier, Tatiana, and Silque with Rudolf has a GHB.

What, you have Python without Forsyth? For shame :P

1 minute ago, Gregster101 said:

I can see Rudolf as a GHB

He's not sexy enough to get on a banner, so you're probably right.

#ShouldHaveKeptTheStache

Edited by Jotari

16 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

What, you have Python without Forsyth? For shame :P

Swap Luthier for Forsyth, then.

Yeah, Python without Forsyth seems empty.

2 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Swap Luthier for Forsyth, then.

Yeah, Python without Forsyth seems empty.

I'd say swap either Silque or Tatiana for Forsyth. It pains me to say it considering Tatiana is my favorite Echoes girl, but Silque is probably more likely to be included on the next Echoes banner since she is slightly more popular than Tatiana, and it also probably makes more sense to add Tatiana alongside a Zeke alt for Camus.

3 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I'd say swap either Silque or Tatiana for Forsyth. It pains me to say it considering Tatiana is my favorite Echoes girl, but Silque is probably more likely to be included on the next Echoes banner since she is slightly more popular than Tatiana, and it also probably makes more sense to add Tatiana alongside a Zeke alt for Camus.

Hmm, fair point.

Wow, I just realized we don't have any Camus alts.

55 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Hmm, fair point.

Wow, I just realized we don't have any Camus alts.

Tbh, Zeke is the one alt I'd be fine with being added on a regular banner just because it would mean Tatiana would also be added

6 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Tbh, Zeke is the one alt I'd be fine with being added on a regular banner just because it would mean Tatiana would also be added

Zeke and Tatiana debuting on a Valentine's banner would be cool. Not as ALTs, but as their default design like Griel (though how does one visually distinguish Camus from Zeke? Sirius has a mask at least, while Zeke? I think maybe he has a different coat. Having him hold a box of chocolates on a seasonal would probably be enough).

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Zeke and Tatiana debuting on a Valentine's banner would be cool. Not as ALTs, but as their default design like Griel (though how does one visually distinguish Camus from Zeke? Sirius has a mask at least, while Zeke? I think maybe he has a different coat. Having him hold a box of chocolates on a seasonal would probably be enough).

Zeke also lacks a cravat.

There are more differences, but I'm too lazy to look up both artworks.

4 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Well that's clearly a straight downgrade.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well that's clearly a straight downgrade.

Yes, the cravat is superior.

It's what makes Sigurd, Quan, and Eldigan gr8.

43 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Looking it up, Camus also lacks a cravat (usually). Sirius is the only one who rocks the cravat.

File:Zeke.png

File:CamusSD.png

File:Sirius.png

Although he has one in his Heroes artwork.

Camus Sable Knight Face.png

Although he also has the folded collar and the black outfit bin Heroes. So it seems they took from all his designs in Heroes. So yeah, making Zeke a seasonal would probably be the best route to go for including him.