Special Heroes (Gifts of Winter)

Jingle Jangle

I just thought of something.

How does IS manage to fail so hard at properly spacing out character alts? Spring Xander and summer Xander were pretty close to one another. So were the three Takumi alts. So was Valentine's Lyn and Legendary Lyn. And summer Camilla and Adrift Camilla. And now Legendary Eirika and Winter Eirika. Probably others that I forgot to mention.

Just ... does IS not think about proper spacing of character alts throughout the year, even without considering who may or may not get Brave Alts? Do they look at who scored highly on the previous CYL and only spam those characters over and over again? Does this mean we're going to get like four Alm alts next year with very little spacing? Are the developers under some weird impression that fans only want to see the same characters over and over again? I just don't get it!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap I actually called Cecilia being one of the units. I mean, she isn't on the banner and she wasn't the other silhouette, but I called her!

Anyway, I dunno if I'll go for anyone here. They're all armors. But, Eirika would be very useful, and I really like Ephraim. Hmm. We'll see.

Oh joy. Three girls, one guy. All armours. Guy has the least unique weapon/movement combo. My excitement grows... 

No... wait... there it's gone. 

*Sigh*

I'll probably try for Ephraim, although I already have three of him. I always say I won't, but then I do anyway. 

Edited by Cute Chao

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

It's actually worth noting that the last time FEH added at least two completely new units in a banner outside of the main story, CYL-related stuff and GHBs was the Genealogy banner with Sigurd and Dierdre last year before Halloween.

Why is it worth noting? There have only been three New Heroes banners outside of those restrictions, and two of those were OC villain banners which aren't new by default.

I think IS has opted to reserve larger batches of fresh new units for the main story, so breaks in the story look like they aren't going to foster many new characters.

Note we are talking about the period just after CYL2. The first four New Heroes banners, all main story banners, added nine alts, which is pretty disgusting.

EDIT: I guess credit where credit's due. No Fates/Awakening was more than I expected.

Edited by Baldrick

Yeah. I'll only get one copy of Eirika, as much as I like her art I can just loom at it through a browser or something. Might also try for Fae for that breath. I like how they're putting a ! to new inheritable skills

You can tell a character's popularity from a banner's first day gross ranking. Legendary Eirika didn't do so well. Was meh in the west and rather bad in Japan, but I think that might be due to her typing and Lunar Brace being meh. SS isn't all that much liked in Japan aside from Myrrh, because cute dragon kid

7 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

They probably got the idea of how well she did in our popularity polls? She did win the Spring Voting Gauntlet.

That means nothing with multipliers and such though.

Oh yeah, I agree with Rezzy too. I'm also tired of the "waifu" fest...

Edited by Anacybele

9 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

It's a Colorless Dagger, the icon matches.

@bottlegnomes She's not a Cav unit, none of them are. She's likely an Armor, given the theme...

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Guess I should actually start watching trailers instead of skimming topics.

Ugh, I fucking quit. Seasonals already choke the calendar a ton. What happened to at least giving them unit variety? Next year the summer units will be armors too.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I think there was a time when multipliers didn't exist, but I don't know when that faded

Edited by silveraura25

Just now, silveraura25 said:

I think there was a time when multipliers didn't exist, but I don't know when that faded

That faded after only literally the second gauntlet which was way before Kagero had any alts.

8 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I just thought of something.

How does IS manage to fail so hard at properly spacing out character alts? Spring Xander and summer Xander were pretty close to one another. So were the three Takumi alts. So was Valentine's Lyn and Legendary Lyn. And summer Camilla and Adrift Camilla. And now Legendary Eirika and Winter Eirika. Probably others that I forgot to mention.

Just ... does IS not think about proper spacing of character alts throughout the year, even without considering who may or may not get Brave Alts? Do they look at who scored highly on the previous CYL and only spam those characters over and over again? Does this mean we're going to get like four Alm alts next year with very little spacing? Are the developers under some weird impression that fans only want to see the same characters over and over again? I just don't get it!

Oh yeah, this whole post 100%. I am seriously as confused as you are, Sangyul. About the spacing of these alts AND the fact that we yet again have all armors on the Christmas banner.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But every character has those, and she still won. I know it's not a reliable method to gage popularity, but it's something. But still has too much room for unreliability.

I only said that Japanese fans have that impression, or rather, they think the West likes the Fatesawakening characters a lot more than they do. Which is true to some extent. Then again, the bit about Japanese fans is just hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Dandy Druid

The gauntlets aren't a good indicator of popularity for the most part. Yes, partly because of multipliers, but because there also tends to be bias towards better units, unique unit types, or "shiny new units" as well. Spring Kagero, for example, was the only flying dagger at that point in the game. Camilla was still more popular as a character, according to the polling, but was more outdated at that point too. Maybe a reason why she got less support than Kagero did. (If that's true, I was on team Alfonse until he lost so I don't really remember.)

EDIT: Of course, sometimes it does hold true as an indicator of popularity. But it's just too messy overall.

Edited by Sunwoo

1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

But every character has those, and she still wons. I know it's not a reliable method to gage popularity, but it's something.

Exactly, it isn't reliable. The smaller team can easily win with them, so it does not mean much.

10 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Can we go back to getting more than one Male on banners? This game becoming a Waifu fest is getting old.

I may have sent super sarcastic feedback to this effect but I've done it several times. Money speaks, and apparently money is all on waifus, from what everyone tells me. 

Of course, the only male on the banner being a lance armour compared to dragon armour and staff armour won't help change people's minds on whether to pull for him, thus assuring waifus win either way -.-

Eirika looks really beautiful - she's the one I want the most from the banner. Don't really care much about Fae and Ephraim. Cecilia is intriguing though I'll have to wait until the datamine to see what she's got. Funny that both variants of Cecilia are available as free units.

I plan on giving up on the Hero Fest banner if I go through another free ticket session without getting any 5*s regardless of pity percentage; I've yet to pull a single 5* unit and I only intend to enter a session with a free summon ticket and pull any non-reds available. Currently at 5.94%.

2 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Can I just say that Ephraim's kit is just... bad

Yeah, at first i was impressed by the double Solo skills, but then it hit me that Armors are the unit type who wants Solos the least, followed by fliers.

Winter armors part 2!

...easy pass. Now I wonder what horrors the New Year’s banner will bring...I can see Camilla already...

Renais twins have more than enough alts already. Not even Ike get this privilege. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

Huh, it's almost like IS wants me to continue being as disinterested in this game as possible because this banner freaking blows for me as someone who despises the Renais twins and could also care less about FE6. There's no way I'm going after any of these chumps when I know I could be saving for Tibarn instead.

Also, can we officially add Eirika and Ephraim into the "these assholes don't need any more alts for at least two years" club?

I do like the little detail that Fae's dragon form has the reindeer antlers too.

Also, Cecilia being a colorless dagger is a first in a while.

2 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I may have sent super sarcastic feedback to this effect but I've done it several times. Money speaks, and apparently money is all on waifus, from what everyone tells me. 

Of course, the only male on the banner being a lance armour compared to dragon armour and staff armour won't help change people's minds on whether to pull for him, thus assuring waifus win either way -.-

Not really. It's all about nostalgia. L!Marth beats Adrift so easily, but Adrift had rather meh performance despite having good artwork of popular females

2 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Maybe if they didn't constantly make more females than males, give females better kits all the time, etc., the males would start making just as much money. :/ But IS gives so much more treatment to females that they're just going to sell more by default. Why IS doesn't realize it, I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Not even Ike get this privilege. 

Yeah, I still question why the most popular male and arguably the most popular character period has not been allowed to get seasonals. As I'd said, it makes me sad...