Who should I use my first Guiding Ring on?

Hanes

I'm consider using it on Lugh and to me that seems fantastic since he does reliable magic damage and I think his damage output is good enough for FE6 standards, but  see a lot of people saying that the first Guiding Ring shouldn't be used on him, that it should be used on Saul or Clarine.

I don't know but I don't think that's a good idea since Clarine still has more mov than Saul even when the latter is promoted and Clarine can heal just fine with no promo and already has D in staves which is enough fro mend but I do see a lot of people either saying Lugh isn't very good or that you should promote one of your healers with the first Guiding Rings. And on the topic of Lilina at first I tought she was usable and while she is, in my previous unfinished FE6 playthrough (which I scrapped) she was very bad and had 10 speed at level 20 so I don't plan on using her.

However I still feel that using my first Guiding Ring on Lugh is a good decision so can anyone tell me what I could be overlooking and why I am wrong or if I am doing the correct decision?

Edited by Critical Sniper

I think people recommend promoting healers first so that you can start building their weapon ranks earlier.  This is particularly noteworthy for Saul because priests are the only units that can use light magic, and obviously an S-rank is needed to use the divine weapons (there's at least one for each weapon type, including the three magic types).  In the case of Clarine, she works as a highly mobile mage when promoted; you'll find a lot of people - particularly those that do LTC runs - strongly favor units with mobility, and that's a trait that also helps if you want to be able to get all the Gaiden Chapters (I don't think it's particularly necessary, but it helps).  Also, Clarine gets lots of speed very quickly and is reasonably capable enough in other respects.

Though honestly, it should be your call.  You have your playstyle and you're the only one who knows which of your units are performing well or sub-par.  As far as I know, Lugh's a decent enough unit, and if he's doing well for you then I can't say it's a bad call to promote him first.

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think people recommend promoting healers first so that you can start building their weapon ranks earlier.

But am I ever realistically going to put Clarine or Saul on the frontlines? Lugh's magic rank would be higher by then obviously and at an earlier point too.

4 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

This is particularly noteworthy for Saul because priests are the only units that can use light magic, and obviously an S-rank is needed to use the divine weapons (there's at least one for each weapon type, including the three magic types).

Getting his light rank up though would be a pain in FE6 and like Yoder exists if I ever want to use the S rank tome although he does come late.

7 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

In the case of Clarine, she works as a highly mobile mage when promoted; you'll find a lot of people - particularly those that do LTC runs - strongly favor units with mobility, and that's a trait that also helps if you want to be able to get all the Gaiden Chapters (I don't think it's particularly necessary, but it helps).  Also, Clarine gets lots of speed very quickly and is reasonably capable enough in other respects.

Oh I know her mobility is good, that's why I think she is better than Saul; because those higher staff ranks aren't really used until late into the game and you only need D in staves to use mend to heal well which is what they mainly are doing. That avoid is insane too, I remember I was Skype screen sharing with my friend whose name brings disaster and hadn't used Clarine since almost her recruitment time and yet she just dodged everything when I was in a pinch :P

10 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Though honestly, it should be your call.  You have your playstyle and you're the only one who knows which of your units are performing well or sub-par.  As far as I know, Lugh's a decent enough unit, and if he's doing well for you then I can't say it's a bad call to promote him first.

Hmm yeah I guess it's up to me wether I decide to promote a healer first or Lugh.

Saul can get warp a lot earlier then your other units. Staff exp grows extremely slow in fe6 so base staff rank is really important. Saul has c in staves which might not sound like much but upon promotion he will get 1 extra weapon rank which means means he will only have to raise his weapon rank one more time to get warp. But you get warp in chapter 14 and during that chapter you will also get a guiding ring so it isn't neccesary unless you want early physic. I never used Clarine but she has a mount and even with E in anima she can use fire which is pretty good in this game (good hit & low res enemies).

But Lugh is also a good option. He will be able to use Aircaliber pretty quickly which is useful against Wyvern Riders and he will likely double so his damage output will always be good.

20 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think people recommend promoting healers first so that you can start building their weapon ranks earlier. 

This cannot be a problem because if you want,You can Level up really fast the Staff rank on the Armads Gaiden Chapter,If you have enough Staff to do it for it. at least 5 entire heal staff can make to at least B rank

Edited by QuoteSoda

7 hours ago, LJwalhout said:

Saul can get warp a lot earlier then your other units. Staff exp grows extremely slow in fe6 so base staff rank is really important. Saul has c in staves which might not sound like much but upon promotion he will get 1 extra weapon rank which means means he will only have to raise his weapon rank one more time to get warp. But you get warp in chapter 14 and during that chapter you will also get a guiding ring so it isn't neccesary unless you want early physic.

Hmm... I mean early physic is nice but I doubt Clarine struggles to reach B for it.

I never used Clarine but she has a mount and even with E in anima she can use fire which is pretty good in this game (good hit & low res enemies).

Yeah that makes sense, especially since tomes have no weight in FE6, Elfire is like 4 lol.

But Lugh is also a good option. He will be able to use Aircaliber pretty quickly which is useful against Wyvern Riders and he will likely double so his damage output will always be good.

When do you get Aircalibur?

4 hours ago, QuoteSoda said:

This cannot be a problem because if you want,You can Level up really fast the Staff rank on the Armads Gaiden Chapter,If you have enough Staff to do it for it. at least 5 entire heal staff can make to at least B rank

Well but that takes forever...

4 hours ago, QuoteSoda said:

I was referring to the other weapon ranks.  Anima for Clarine and light for Saul.  That's why I was talking about them as combat units, and why I mentioned it in the first place, because it's obviously extremely easy to staffbot your way to the top.

@Critical Sniper I'm really not solid on a lot of my knowledge in terms of FE6, I just thought those were the most likely reasons people favored those units over someone like Lugh and was playing the devil's advocate a little.  I've never really heard anyone talk about how you shouldn't use Lugh or how you should give the first Guiding Ring to Clarine or Saul.  Again, I think it'd be best for you to decide on your own, partly because you know your team but also because it's funner to figure things out for yourself instead of letting people tell you how to play a game.  I mean, isn't that part of the appeal of Fire Emblem?  Figuring out how to build your team and defeat the enemy...

Edited by Ertrick36

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

@Critical Sniper I'm really not solid on a lot of my knowledge in terms of FE6, I just thought those were the most likely reasons people favored those units over someone like Lugh and was playing the devil's advocate a little.

No you're not wrong, those are the most common reasons why I see others saying to early promote Saul or Clarine.

30 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

Hmm... I mean early physic is nice but I doubt Clarine struggles to reach B for it.

If you promote her, no she won't struggle (only one 1 rank), if you don't, she will struggle. The thing with Saul is that he doesn't need weapon rank to get Physic upon promotion and you're closer to warp. 

31 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

When do you get Aircalibur?

A chest in chapter 12 and Cecilia has one. You can buy them in a shop in chapter 14. Might seem late but this is the point that Wyvern riders start appearing again and Aircaliber is a reliable way to one round them (at least on Normal mode, don't have experience with Hard mode). Training Lugh is nice for that reason alone (Bolting can also be fun). 

43 minutes ago, LJwalhout said:

If you promote her, no she won't struggle (only one 1 rank), if you don't, she will struggle. The thing with Saul is that he doesn't need weapon rank to get Physic upon promotion and you're closer to warp. 

Clarine doesn't need weapon rank for it to use Physic either, unless you mean that Saul with base Staff rank can promote and use physic but doing that is near impossible unless you unequip him and make him dodge 600 times to get to level 10 and promote. I think he gets to A rank if you earlypromote him. Also I remember using Saul and him being a burden to me since the 6 mov wasn't much good for a support class so that's why I think Clarine is better.

45 minutes ago, LJwalhout said:

Might seem late but this is the point that Wyvern riders start appearing again and Aircaliber is a reliable way to one round them (at least on Normal mode, don't have experience with Hard mode). Training Lugh is nice for that reason alone (Bolting can also be fun).

Advice taken. Aircalibur*

The first mage i promotred was Lilina, and she started to kill everything in her way.  2nd Clarine who was good at dogging. Later Ray and Hugh (both early promotion) and Sophia (sufering) and the 3 are doing bad... specially Ray but he was at lv 10 lol.