What was / is your reaction to the music theme in the introduction cutscene of book 3?

MisterIceTeaPeach

Do you like it?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • It was ok
  2. 2. Would like to hear that kind of music in regular FE parts?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

1 hour ago, Kurrin said:

more Punk.

Ehhh. Maybe Goth Punk.

49 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

The story revolves around death and alot of darker themes to they went with metal.

I think this is where a lot of the griping comes from. Heroes idea of dark is everyone wears black and spikes, almost literally fight death, kill an MC (possibly just because), and metal music. It's an aesthetic that's become so cliché and worn think it's turned into a joke about self-serious teenagers. It just doesn't seem to bode well for a story that's completely straight-facedly presenting itself as serious. To fall back on a trope that's equally over-used, it seems dangerously close to dad emo.

As for the song itself, I'm not familiar enough with metal to speak on the quality of it, but I am going to listen to it again tomorrow without the context of why is a modern musical style showing up in a pseudo-medieval story.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean Book 3 is about Death, where can they possibly go wrong with something which is close to Death Metal. And I don't see things which relate to Norse mythology and Metal not so far away, at least if I see Pagan and Viking Metal...so it has more than one reason to fit I dare say. And Fire Emblem relates a lot to Norse mythology, so maybe there are some metalheads in Insys. xD Who knows.

I liked it, I always like it if games go outside of the box at what you normally have. Its like Persona 5 with Acid Jazz, it was wonderful. Of course it was maybe a better choice and Persona has it easier with modern music, because of the setting.  

As a fan of progressiv Metal I will never see a day with a game which has something like that. Closest was Saga Frontier, which had a Boss theme influenced by progressiv Rock. 
They may have gone wrong a few steps with AR for me, but Book 3 does not look too bad.

I mean you can dislike the genre, but at least try to search for some connections instead of dismissing it instantly, that is my point.

About the quality, I am not a big fan of death growl (The vocal style) either. Thus I don't hear much Death Metal bands etc and cannot say anything about it. Maybe Metalcore destroyed the seriousness for many, because they relate it to emo and edgyness. But trust me, if you know more about the old school Medieval loving Metalhead who listens to folk metal you see it in a different light.

Maybe Nordic folk metal would have been a better choice though? At least implementing Medieval instruments with Metal would have been good.

Edited by Stroud

Kind of want an instrumental version, I really like the beginning bit with the flower field but the vocals, while I can stand for a short while, kind of feel unfitting during battles.

So an instrumental version would feel like a good compromise, because I really like the feel of the instruments

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

WHERE IS THE FULL VERSION OF THIS SONG?!

That is what I am wondering about too. I tried searching for it a few days ago, but all I could find are just people's rehashed versions of the video's song.

Maybe we can send them a feedback and ask them to put the full song on YouTube or something.

Death metal, or whatever this is called, doesn't register to me as music. It's just obnoxious sound, so that's a hard pass for me.

I think if they had to have it at all, it should have just been an instrumental version instead of the screaming.

It was actually pretty poor and simplistic by death metal standards.  Death metal has the growling but the music is often highly technical in addition to heavy.

I actually love metal, but not the growl stuff that is in some of the subgenres.  Anyways certainly fitting for book 3.  

I must say the more I listen to it, the more I enjoy this.

The vocals make this theme unintentionally funny to me.

Still I usually don't listen to this genre and I don't think it matches with FE, at least with vocals as in this theme.

Edited by Necrofantasia

1 hour ago, XRay said:

That is what I am wondering about too. I tried searching for it a few days ago, but all I could find are just people's rehashed versions of the video's song.

Maybe we can send them a feedback and ask them to put the full song on YouTube or something.

Never mind YouTube, I want a HQ version of this!  There's a lot of little things I missed the first time around, and I don't think YouTube will do this kind of song justice.

My wishful side wants a DL link from Nintendo.  My more realistic side assumes that it'll probably cost some money.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

I only have one thing to say:

Didn't like it at first, but a second listen with a quieter room made me flip my opinion.  I think it's a nice contrast to the music in the early part of the trailer.

From what I remember it's titled book 3 boss theme

The music was ok for me for the trailer, also surprising. I don't see how it would play in-game, except cinematics. If they have an idea on how it would fit under boss and tap battle, without destroying the Heroes feeling, then I am open forit.

as someone who listens to a lot of metal, my first reaction was to cringe. 

not because of the music, the music is okay. a lot of metal i've listened to from Japan just doesn't hit the mark for me at all (Sigh is like the only one). this does a decent job. i like the guitar riff, the drums are alright, and i always like to hear orchestral instruments in the mix. i'd love an extended version cuz it's so short and repetitive atm.

if i listen to it without the video it's fine, but the video with it...it just...makes me feel awkward. with the prior tone set for FEH seeing Alfonse and Sharena super dramatic in this edgy atmosphere is just tacky. i can't deal with it. or it felt like the video just didn't fit with it at all? i think it'd be better with 2D animation too but that ain't gonna happen.

i found a song that fits the video down to almost every camera movement and scene cut and i'm flabbergasted. it's metal but no vocals.

(dunno why the quality turned to garbage when i uploaded, oh well)

i can't tell bc brain dead right now but i think i like this better and a no vocal period would've been better...

Edited by wizzard of soz

22 hours ago, eclipse said:

I only have one thing to say:

Didn't like it at first, but a second listen with a quieter room made me flip my opinion.  I think it's a nice contrast to the music in the early part of the trailer.

While not quite the trailer version, here the boss version of it:

4 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I'd say this is pretty close enough.

Honestly, the fact that this music fits the theme for Book 3 is probably the only reason it's so good IMO. Like, unless they went uber grimdark, like Genealogy but darker for a FE game and went with metal as a theme, then this probably won't be seen ever again in FE, but I wouldn't be a against a really dark FE.

It definitely caught me by surprise. As for the music itself, I’m mostly indifferent to it, though I will say it’s not particularly pleasant to listen to even if that’s the pint of the song.

7 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Thanks!  But alas, there's this tinny sound in the background - not sure if this is due to YouTube or my crappy speakers!  Still, not bad at all!

On 12/17/2018 at 10:17 AM, Stroud said:

I mean Book 3 is about Death, where can they possibly go wrong with something which is close to Death Metal. And I don't see things which relate to Norse mythology and Metal not so far away, at least if I see Pagan and Viking Metal...so it has more than one reason to fit I dare say. And Fire Emblem relates a lot to Norse mythology, so maybe there are some metalheads in Insys. xD Who knows.

I liked it, I always like it if games go outside of the box at what you normally have. Its like Persona 5 with Acid Jazz, it was wonderful. Of course it was maybe a better choice and Persona has it easier with modern music, because of the setting.  

As a fan of progressiv Metal I will never see a day with a game which has something like that. Closest was Saga Frontier, which had a Boss theme influenced by progressiv Rock. 
They may have gone wrong a few steps with AR for me, but Book 3 does not look too bad.

I mean you can dislike the genre, but at least try to search for some connections instead of dismissing it instantly, that is my point.

About the quality, I am not a big fan of death growl (The vocal style) either. Thus I don't hear much Death Metal bands etc and cannot say anything about it. Maybe Metalcore destroyed the seriousness for many, because they relate it to emo and edgyness. But trust me, if you know more about the old school Medieval loving Metalhead who listens to folk metal you see it in a different light.

Maybe Nordic folk metal would have been a better choice though? At least implementing Medieval instruments with Metal would have been good.

Finally a post I can get behind on. The music used is NOT death metal, NOT AT ALL. It's deathcore, which is weak, diluted shit compared to actual death metal.

If the guys at IS are going for atmosphere and that feeling of foreboding, there are A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER bands and releases that they could have tapped on for inspiration--hell, why not go to Skyclad for your folky-inspired ditties, Hammerheart/Twilight of the Gods-era Bathory for the Viking parts, and for that darkness, black metal with pagan/Viking themes (Taake, Helrunar, early Vintersorg, to name a select few)?

Personally, I am not a fan. Hearing the music in the trailer tossed my immersion out the window and lowered my expectations for Book III. While it may be a decent song on its own for its fans, I sincerely believe it does not fit the Fire Emblem franchise and do not want to see more of this in the future.

Sorry to say, but hearing it in boss battles kills me a bit on the inside. Maybe an instrumental toggle may work as a compromise...

11 hours ago, Karimlan said:

Finally a post I can get behind on. The music used is NOT death metal, NOT AT ALL. It's deathcore, which is weak, diluted shit compared to actual death metal.

If the guys at IS are going for atmosphere and that feeling of foreboding, there are A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER bands and releases that they could have tapped on for inspiration--hell, why not go to Skyclad for your folky-inspired ditties, Hammerheart/Twilight of the Gods-era Bathory for the Viking parts, and for that darkness, black metal with pagan/Viking themes (Taake, Helrunar, early Vintersorg, to name a select few)?

Nice, I knew there has to be at least one here. xD.

Its really a shame that they hit the wrong spot. The direction was good, if they just had the right inspiration. At least I like it that they have taken certain risks. Which is just the thing we need. They really just should have taken into consideration that no one can dispute they made at least a good choice.

I am really interested if book 4 should come out. Will they play it save or not...