Introduction: About Myself and Hacking FE

Xambis Volvo

TL;DR AT THE END

~INTRODUCTION

Hello, my (choice for) name is Xambis Volvo, and I´m here because I love Fire Emblem. Honestly, my objective in doing this is to set myself up for my own expectations to be completed. 

~WHAT I´M HERE FOR

Ever since I´ve discovered FE, I've brought up a different side of myself to the spotlight. You see, as a 17y old student, I´m still trying to decide what I should do in life and all that. I do have some basic, very basic programming knowledge, and I draw poorly, to say the least. I love videogames, but I don´t see myself having the luxury of being on a good enough position to live on only developing games, having creative control over most of the projects. I find manga fascinating, and I´ve tried to delve deeper into the world of drawing, though eventually I found myself without the motivation to keep improving my drawings.

I've got back into FE quite recently, and as such, began to form my own opinions of the games I played and always wanting to go "hardcore elitist" on every aspect of the games. Eventually, after getting fascinated and bored to death by Sacred Stones, I started thinking about what one could do to improve the base game of FE 8. It honestly felt like a waste, with me issuing some challenges and getting bored halfway through their completion. "How can a game with stupidly well-writen characters like these have such a drab story and easy gameplay; there´s so much wasted potential in here!". 

That´s when I came across the hacking scene for the GBA FEs. I was astonished. Suddenly, you could download a modification that changed every enemy stat, growth rates, map design, portraits, graphics; heck, someone even added SKILLS to the game! I´ve only ever heard of something like this in Skyrim´s modding scene, but I didn´t think this many people changed the game to fit their own ideas! Seeing some more hacks, I eventually began to think that I could do something like that too. Try to add my own spice into the mix, bringing out the true potential of something.

I realize now that this is building up to a "I wanna make a remix of FE 8", but that´s not what interests me. I´ve always been a fan of telling stories, and that´s what I decided I wanted to do in my life: Tell stories that rival and surpass my favorites (EVA, JoJo, Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor, HunterxHunter), to have them analyzed by people so that they can see what I intended to do with each little segment of the plot, characters, setting and themes. What I want to do now is not to make FE 8 better, but to elaborate on what it did best.

So for that, I´ll start to study the hacking scene, so that I can master the tools and use them however I want; changing the intros, adding some music, creating entirely new classes, maps, supports, characters and all that comes with developing a GBA FE. I have no idea about pretty much anything, so I´ll start with FEBuilderGBA and Markyjoe´s tutorial on it. I´ve never been so excited about something in my life; I´m the kind of guy that prefers procrastinating to doing anything with my life. With such a clear objective, working on what I love to create even better results, I believe that I can turn this around. In 5 years´ time, I will have at least one hack developed with blood, sweat and joy and ready to be played and enjoyed by people like me.

~WHY DID I WRITE THIS

Honestly, I´m wrtiting this for myself. To keep as proof that I am shit, and that shit can become something if you try. That´s why I put a TL;DR right at the beginning; I´m not expecting anyone but me to read this wall of text, especially if it´s riddled with gramatical errors and the like for still not dominating English. If, if you came this far, I´ve got nothing to say to you. It was your choice to read some noob´s introduction into this site. However, I do thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for "wasting" your time on me. Truly, I do.

TL;DR: Hey, I´m Xambis and I´m going to dive deep into the hacking community of the GBA Emblems. If you have any suggestions, please do post them, I do aprecciate it. I´ll start with MarkyJoe´s FEBuilderGBA tutorial, just warning so that you suggest something else. Don´t expect anything from me in about 1 year´s time, since I´ll be very busy starting January and ending in december of 2019. Cheers

As somebody who's been working on his own project since roughly September this year (though it's an SRPG Studio game and not a Sacred Stones hack), I can empathize with you.

I would personally recommend SRPG Studio because it's far more flexible in terms of customization (you can even do custom scripting if you know JavaScript), but you seem to be dead-set on doing a hack, so I'll respect that decision if that's the case.

Anyway, I wish you luck.

I've never heard of SRPG Studio actually, it might be good to take a look at it. I think that I´ll eventually expand what I can do, especially because I´ve thought of modifying the intro and putting in music that surpasses the GBA´s limitations, things that I believe you can´t do by only modifying the ROM. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your game as well!

3 minutes ago, Xambis Volvo said:

I've never heard of SRPG Studio actually, it might be good to take a look at it. I think that I´ll eventually expand what I can do, especially because I´ve thought of modifying the intro and putting in music that surpasses the GBA´s limitations, things that I believe you can´t do by only modifying the ROM. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your game as well!

Thanks!  I'd ask you to play it, but right now I'm working on a new version with Support conversations that should hopefully be out by New Year's.  (The current and next versions are playable up to and including Chapter 7.)  Still, give it a look if you want a taste of what you can accomplish with SRPG Studio.  But be warned that the program costs about $60 on Steam.  I personally think it's worth the investment, but you may or may not have the money for it.

Welcome to the Forest, Xambis Volvo!

21 hours ago, Xambis Volvo said:

However, I do thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for "wasting" your time on me. Truly, I do.

No, I do thank you, for taking the time to write this much.

I'm sure you know where to go to found stuff/ressources about hacking but just in case : https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/forum/8-fan-projects/

Good luck on your hack, have a nice day and enjoy your stay!