FE Blazing Sword: Purging Flame project

DiogoJorge

Hello everyone. I'm starting my new project, Purging Flame, a reimagined balance patch for Blazing Sword. The goal of this project is to create a FE7 that is balanced in a different way than the original. Siince the original was already somewhat balanced to begin with.

Objectives:

- Increase difficulty of Lyn mode

- Fix supports growth rates

- Make a few units actually worth using (Dorcas, Barte, Karla... etc...)

- Make enemies more quality based in difficulty, rather than quantity based.

- buff some units so they can deal with those changes.

Here are some videos that I already posted:

Edited by DiogoJorge

Lol i wanted to do something like this, but im currently working in a growth stats changes, and one whit class changes. In both in currently in Raven stage. I will wait for you hack.

Something i wanted in fe7 is to make Karla and Farina appears in Eliwood mode, Karla maybe in other chapter whit a  arena, so she doesnt appears in the end game. Geitz and Wallace appears in both of their chapters. And Harken and Karel both too, whit both bosses, if you can do it, that would be great.

17 minutes ago, Zoryou said:

Lol i wanted to do something like this, but im currently working in a growth stats changes, and one whit class changes. In both in currently in Raven stage. I will wait for you hack.

Something i wanted in fe7 is to make Karla and Farina appears in Eliwood mode, Karla maybe in other chapter whit a  arena, so she doesnt appears in the end game. Geitz and Wallace appears in both of their chapters. And Harken and Karel both too, whit both bosses, if you can do it, that would be great.

I wonder... It should technically be possible, by changing what chapters come after the one that is finished, but I will cross that bridge when I reach there. I make no promises though.

Geitz and Wallace are likely impossible to do though. For Karla, I would probably need to figure out how the flag for those events even work, so it's unlikely I will pull it off. 

So which units are you planning on changing? You mention Dorcas, Bartre, and Karla. Out of the three, I'd say Bartre is actually decently useful. Although prone to speed-screwage, Bartre is overall a powerful and decently speedy unit. He could use a slight buff to his base speed, but otherwise he's basically set as a unit.

Lyn mode certainly needs some updates, but so does basically every mode in this game. I can see you've done some repositioning, that or I just need to replay Lyn mode, but what other changes do you have in mind. Aside from buffing the enemy stats, that's a given.

11 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

I think you should just make enemies level up more, I mean level 15 enemies in VoD? pathetic.

Sure, but don't forget, the more levels they have, the more your own units level as well. So I would rather not level them too much, only a bit, enough so that experience gains don't come to a crawl but not too high so that your own units don't level like crazy.

So which units are you planning on changing? You mention Dorcas, Bartre, and Karla. Out of the three, I'd say Bartre is actually decently useful. Although prone to speed-screwage, Bartre is overall a powerful and decently speedy unit. He could use a slight buff to his base speed, but otherwise he's basically set as a unit.

Lyn mode certainly needs some updates, but so does basically every mode in this game. I can see you've done some repositioning, that or I just need to replay Lyn mode, but what other changes do you have in mind. Aside from buffing the enemy stats, that's a given.

Isadora and possibly Hawkeye as well. Mind you, all units will probably receive a buff or nerf of some kind with some exceptions, Those are just the more obvious ones.

Edited by DiogoJorge

I would put  enemys around  lv 7-10 in Eagler and Lundgren chapter but whit lv 10-15 stats. And in heintz to Yogi chapter around lv 3-5 so our units dont lv that much. Give them better weapons. If you want to keep enemies in low lv just keep increasing a little their stats each chapter and leave they in lv 1-3.

Isadora maybe start whit Marcus str and +2 or 3 in other stats. My Hawkeye always do well, but  he might need the help too in your hack. 

Karla idk maybe like Renault or fe6 Karel, a unit in case you lose others in iron man walktrought, but whit a few lv down. I think she could be like Lloyd in Geintz route or final chapter. 

5 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Why would I? She's not broken. Harken and Pent would be more likely to be nerfed than Florina would.

Because it's his waifu.

On the topic of Pent, don't lower his staff rank, I think it would be better instead to just lower his magic down to something like 14.

For Harken I think it's just lower that speed a bit.

Edited by Critical Sniper

19 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Because it's his waifu.

On the topic of Pent, don't lower his staff rank, I think it would be better instead to just lower his magic down to something like 14.

For Harken I think it's just lower that speed a bit.

We will see. But if I'm lowering those stats that much, then he will need a better MAG growth to compensate, same for Harken's SPD. Pent and Harken join a bit too late, so their availability is usually their disadvantage, also won't a MAG of 14 make it almost impossible to skip a great part of the Armads chapter?

On 24-12-2018 at 11:50 AM, DiogoJorge said:

Why would I? She's not broken. Harken and Pent would be more likely to be nerfed than Florina would.

She can snowball really hard if you level her, because of good offensive growths and being a flyer you get early game. She's not all that broken without Lyn mode training though.

On 18-12-2018 at 9:31 AM, DiogoJorge said:

Sure, but don't forget, the more levels they have, the more your own units level as well. So I would rather not level them too much, only a bit, enough so that experience gains don't come to a crawl but not too high so that your own units don't level like crazy.

An alternative is to just raise their stats instead of their level. It should be possible to raise enemy growth rates, which would mean enemies in the late game become a good bit stronger. It would also make units like Raven and Guy stronger though.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's chapter 11 for Hector mode, it will be a no Lyn mode run for the Hector's side.

Let's review the changes made to all characters so far, excluding the ones from Lyn mode, which I will do once they rejoin.

Eliwood bases: HP 19 STR 6 SKL 7 SPD 8 DEF 6 RES 1 LUK 8 Growths: 80% HP 50% STR 55% SKL 45% SPD 35% DEF 35% RES 45% RES

Marcus bases: same as before. Growths: 65% HP 35% STR 50% SKL 30% SPD 20% DEF 35% RES 30% LUK

Lowen bases: same. Growths: 90% HP 45% STR 40% SKL 35% SPD 40% DEF 25% RES 50% LUK

Rebecca bases: HP 17 STR 5 SKL 6 SPD 8 DEF 3 RES 1 LUK 4 growths: 60% HP 45% STR 50% SKL 65% SPD 20% DEF 35% RES 50% LUK

Dorcas bases: HP 30  STR 7  SKL 7  SPD 6  DEF 4  RES 0 LUK 3 growths: 90% HP 60% STR 40% SKL 35% SPD 30% DEF 25% RES 45% LUK

Barte bases: HP 29 STR 9 SKL 5 SPD 5 DEF 4 RES 0 LUK 4 growths: 85% HP 50% STR 35% SKL 40% SPD 35% DEF 20% RES 30% LUK

Hector bases: HP 20 STR 7 SKL 5 SPD 6 DEF 9 RES 1 LUK 3 growths: 90% HP 60% STR 45% SKL 40% SPD 45% DEF 25% RES 35% LUK

Matthew bases: HP 18 STR 5 SKL 5 SPD 12 DEF 3 RES 0 LUK 3 growths:  75% HP  35% STR 40% SKL 80% SPD 25% DEF 20% RES 50% LUK

Edited by DiogoJorge

Dude be consistent with your numbers, like on marcus the format is # (Stat) like for example 50% Str and then its (Stat) # for Rebecca, it almost scared me thinking her speed growth was 20% lol.

Also Lowen seems very good, do you consider him the beat cav with these changes?

Dude be consistent with your numbers, like on marcus the format is # (Stat) like for example 50% Str and then its (Stat) # for Rebecca, it almost scared me thinking her speed growth was 20% lol.

Also Lowen seems very good, do you consider him the beat cav with these changes?

Sorry, I will try to be more carefull about it and use the stat name followed by number formula to avoid further confusion in the future.

Hard to say, maybe I made him a bit broken with those changes. But then again, I had Alen from Binding Blade with  SPD 35%, DEF 35% and  STR 55% and it worked fine, and only become broken because he was RNG blessed rather than because of his averages.

So I will just have to test. Note that his RES got nerfed in exchange for those growths.

Well, then, It seems I hit a snag. I want to make enemy stats the same between the 2 modes. But chapter 12 is shared between the two modes and changing anything will affect the other mode as well. So I need to figure out how to change enemy stats so that it only affecst one mode rather than both. Otherwise it will be difficult to acomplish the goal of making Eliwood and Hector mode equal in difficulty. Anyone familiar with FEbuilder that knows a way around this?

EDIT: I've figured it out. I think.  There's a difficulty settings in the chapter editor. There it has 3 options. Hard mode bonuses. Normal mode penalty and easy mode penalty. Seems like reducing the easy mode penalty from 5 to 0 made the stats equalize between the 2. By doing so there's no difference between normal and hard mode.  I never intended for this patch to be played on normal mode in the first place, so even if they become the same, it's not like it will ruin my project, since I itend to make it hard levels of hard.

Edited by DiogoJorge

9 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Sorry, I will try to be more carefull about it and use the stat name followed by number formula to avoid further confusion in the future.

Hard to say, maybe I made him a bit broken with those changes. But then again, I had Alen from Binding Blade with  SPD 35%, DEF 35% and  STR 55% and it worked fine, and only become broken because he was RNG blessed rather than because of his averages.

So I will just have to test. Note that his RES got nerfed in exchange for those growths.

Ah don't worry about it, I was a bit rude but yeah, thanks.

Well I don't know why but it's always so fun to have low speed units with high amounts of damage although Alen's Def was also 35% so yeah that is way too high especially considering  FE6 doesn't give a lot of Def to units.

I mean unless you increase the damage output of tomes or increase the mage density, how much will this afffect?

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

Ah don't worry about it, I was a bit rude but yeah, thanks.

Well I don't know why but it's always so fun to have low speed units with high amounts of damage although Alen's Def was also 35% so yeah that is way too high especially considering  FE6 doesn't give a lot of Def to units.

I mean unless you increase the damage output of tomes or increase the mage density, how much will this afffect?

Don't know yet, but mages are definetely going to get better stats later on.

56 minutes ago, DiogoJorge said:

Don't know yet, but mages are definetely going to get better stats later on.

Just make sure that them doubling a lot doesn't become a staple, maybe not geting doubled is good but their def shouldn't be buffed imo. 

Just make sure that them doubling a lot doesn't become a staple, maybe not geting doubled is good but their def shouldn't be buffed imo. 

Sure, they will not have ridiculous SPD either. Monks will be the faster ones, but if they double, they will also have less MAG than the others, so it won't be much of a problem, unless you use the wrong classes to tackle them.