What games have you played through once and never want to play through again?

Arcphoenix

What games have you played that you wouldn't play through a second time? Perhaps you had a very unsatisfactory experience. Perhaps length, tediousness, or game design.
For a friend of mine, that'd be Ys I (He says he wouldn't play it again unless he lost a bet). If you've ever played it you surely know why.
For me, it's Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1. The grind is real in this installment of the franchise.
I'd almost say Persona 4 given how long the game is (I'm at +100 hours on my save file but haven't beaten the game yet) and how cumbersome it is to fit into one's schedule. I'm definitely going to be doing a few New Game+'s regardless

Edited by Arcphoenix

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. While the writing was decent and the music was great, i could not stand the gameplay. I've ranted about it before but it is the pinnacle of Horse Emblem and i hate it.

Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse. Episode II is better than Episode I in virtually every aspect EXCEPT gameplay. Dear God, why does everything take so long to kill? I could watch the entire MCU in the amount of time it takes to complete a regular battle. At first, it wasn't that bad but everything from the Ormus Stronghold and after was hell. For those trying to get into the Xeno series, if you ever decide to play the Xenosaga Trilogy, actually just watch Episode II's cutscenes. You can play Episode I and III but just watch Episode II. 

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a good game but also a one-time thing. Once you beat Ganon, there's really nothing else for you to do and the world is only exciting to go through the first time. The sidequests the game offers aren't that interesting and the lack of music can make things feel boring.

Super Mario Odyssey is also another good game that i don't feel like going back to. I disagree with the notion that it's "the best 3D Mario game". I've replayed Mario 64/DS, 3D Land/World and the Galaxy games several times but i feel no reason to go back to Odyssey.

And this one's premature because i haven't actually beaten it yet but out of all of the Hyperdimension Neptunia games, i think i'd only play Hyperdevotion Noire once. I like the SRPG gameplay (even if FE muscle memory is messing me up, why do turns not end immediately after you've moved everyone) and i appreciate that best girl Noire is the leading protagonist but this is the one time the series puts in a self-insert (actually, i think the idol simulation spin-off has one too but i ain't ever touching that one) and for a series that pokes fun at every video game and anime trope in existence, they really aren't doing anything clever with him. He's not even voiced, which results in me reading his lines thinking he's someone else. Hyperdevotion Noire is the least fun i've had with this series, which is a shame because every other game that i've played has never been not fun (in the writing department, the literally copy-pasted dungeons still tick me off).

27 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

For me, it's Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1. The grind is real in this installment of the franchise.

And that's the reason why i never actually beat the final boss and just moved on to Rebirth 2. I couldn't stand it's dumb 200k autoheal and i didn't feel like grinding. Maybe if i had the EXP DLC. 

Edited by Armagon

All the traditional JRPGs I've played would constitute under both the "length" and "tediousness" categories.  Good stories, but they go on for way too long, it's like marathoning a hundred movies.

Since I mentioned it in another thread, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.  I mean, the campaign and all the offline content are okay, but I would never touch the online of that game with a hundred-yard pole.  And the campaign of Cod: Ghosts was dull enough that I would sooner watch paint dry.

I'll never play Dragon Ball Xenoverse ever again simply because the second game is superior in every way and there's nothing else for me to go back to that game for.  If and when Xenoverse 3 comes out, this will potentially apply to Xenoverse 2 as well.

I have no desire to play through Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ever again.  Waste of a good $30 (I think that's how much it costed on PS3 when it initially launched), and - just like with Xenoverse - the game that came after rendered it completely pointless and obsolete.

There are probably more.  I could definitely list a bunch of games I just outright hated, but I don't want to take this in the spirit of just "what games do I dislike".

I couldn't be asked to touch FF1 ever again after playing through it. Unlike most games where I don't feel like I need to replay the experience but I could possibly be convinced, FF1 is a game that doesn't remotely interest me for a second playthrough. It feels its 31 years, despite it being a classic the status of relic doesn't make me want to go through it again, even if it can be easily completed in under 12 hours. I would say FF2 but I couldn't bring myself to finish such a bad game. FFTA also counts because you play the villain and holy fuck I did not get through that game the way I should have. I could probably give more: most titles I feel aren't something I'd play more than once usually. If I do it's the exception (like aLBW or most recently Radiant Historia). I mean, I only got three endings for Chrono Trigger, a game considered to have great replay value because I didn't consider it worth the dozen playthroughs.

For Fire Emblem, as it stands, each route of Fates is this. I only sort of want to play Conquest again, but I'd delete Revelations and Birthright in a heartbeat if my 3DS SD card had any chance of filling up.

All of Naughty Dog's games after Uncharted 2. The way they shove the story into the gameplay makes them incredibly replay-unfriendly. It also doesn't help that the gameplay of their games just isn't very good.

The new God of War is the same. Very replay-unfriendly and the gameplay's not good enough for me to sit through the whole game again. I've beaten 1 and 2 a few times, but God of War 3 is in the same boat as the new GoW, though I'd say that game just has bad gameplay(Or at the very least, a thoroughly repulsive game structure).

Resident Evil 6 is the only Resident Evil I've never played through more than once(I think I've actually played through each game in the series at least 3 times outside of 6), and I'd have to be thoroughly convinced to play through it again.

Arc Rise Fantasia: Had to grind to win this one boss fight after losing repeatedly. And every time I lost a boss fight, I'd have to grind simply to progress through the story. I'd rather replay Tales of the Abyss instead

Xenoblade Chronicles.Love the charcters, world and art style but i HATE the combat system. it was uper boring and it time frustrating.

Valkyria Chronicles. i actually really love this game theres not nothing wrong with it, the missions are just really long.

The legend of Zelda II adventure of Link is the main one I don't want to replay.  I still need to beat it, but it has a lot of problems for me and it has not aged nearly as well as the first Zelda game.

For me, Pokémon Sun and Moon. It's fun on the first playthrough, after that for god's sake never again. Like, when I was replaying with Sun, I didn't even get past the second island just cuz of how slow the early game was. I still haven't even touched Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and I've been told that I'm not missing much.

I agree with @Armagon's point about Breath of the Wild. It's a great game, but it's one of those games that you really only play once. The only exception that I can think of would be if you haven't played Hard mode yet, then there's an opportunity open to play the game again, but in a slightly different way.

About any Super Mario game. It's always fun to play through once or twice, but after that, it's eh.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I absolutely adored the game, but the cases got progressively longer each time, which made things unnecessarily drawn out to me, especially the last case.

Super Smash Bros. 4. It sounds dumb, but I accidentally deleted my save data for the game, and I've lost all motivation to play the game whatsoever. It's mitigated by the fact that Ultimate exists now, but it was devastating to me to lose all my progress.

For a Fire Emblem game, probably Birthright. I quit after Xander died because it was dumb.

3 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I still haven't even touched Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and I've been told that I'm not missing much.

It's basically like the re-releases of Street Fighter II, where it adds a bit more content but keeps everything else the same.

57 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

For me, Pokémon Sun and Moon. It's fun on the first playthrough, after that for god's sake never again. Like, when I was replaying with Sun, I didn't even get past the second island just cuz of how slow the early game was. I still haven't even touched Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and I've been told that I'm not missing much.

I'm glad someone put this into words. I've been meaning to replay my Pokemon games, and while that's a project on the back burner, I've found myself without much motivation to play through Pokemon Sun due to its slow start and crazy difficulty spikes, but my play-though of Pokemon Black has been almost more enthralling than when i originally played it, likely since I'm old enough to appreciate the significance of Team Plasma's ideology and the character arcs of N and Bianca.

Edited by PeaceRibbon

Clock Tower. It was neat to play through it again, but I only ever had the motivation to get the S ending. And after I did, I haven't touched the game since. I am interested to play the sequels though, so there's that. 

The Ace Attorney games don't really have much replay value so you only ever go through them once. I think I've only ever replayed case 2 from JFA because I liked it so much, but that's not really a complete replay of the game. 

The same could be said for Danganronpa's main story. Besides for having free time events with characters you didn't have with in your previous playthrough, and getting secret scenes you've might have missed, I don't think there's much replay value. Later DR games have more gamemodes (like Island Mode, School Mode) and V3 had a lot of bonus content, but I don't think playing them is considered a replay of the main itself.

12 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

What games have you played that you wouldn't play through a second time? Perhaps you had a very unsatisfactory experience. Perhaps length, tediousness, or game design.
For a friend of mine, that'd be Ys I (He says he wouldn't play it again unless he lost a bet). If you've ever played it you surely know why.
I'd almost say Persona 4 given how long the game is (I'm at +100 hours on my save file but haven't beaten the game yet) and how cumbersome it is to fit into one's schedule. I'm definitely going to be doing a few New Game+'s regardless

Alundra for PSOne. the game is simply impossible to complete unless you know exactly what to do, or spend tons and tons of hours figuring out how some puzzles work.

and also Resonance of Fate for PS3. the story can be fun at times, but the gameplay can become rather tedious in the long run and gets boring really fast.

Most 3D Castlevanias (with exception if "Darkness" is in the title), Metroid Prime Hunters (thanks to that aiming system), Paper Mario Sticker Star & Colour Splash (because the games are very very unrewarding). If we're not counting replaying missions but talking a complete 100% from scratch replay, any Warriors game, be it Hyrule, Dynasty or Fire Emblem as I don't have time to do all that shit again.

Probably Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks in the Zelda category... something about that control scheme does not sit well with me.

Also Ghosts N Goblins. After getting the ending the first time, I'm just gonna pretend I got the ending when I get to the point where it makes you replay the whole game before what would have been the final boss. I can take that in the sequels, but there is just too much random shit in the original to possibly allow me to get through twice in a row reliably. So firetruck it.

Edited by Mad-manakete

Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates. I will never play these two again because of how bad the story, characters, and gameplay (except or the first half of Conquest) is. 

Fire Emblem Heroes. I was once told that Gachas waste your time, money, and life away in the vien hope they'll have mercy and actually give you what you want, and now I see why.

Fire Emblem Warriors. Get mad at me if you must, but I should've listened to my conscience when it told me to pass on this game. 

Metroid Other M. Nearly killed one of my favorite gaming series ever. 

Devil May Cry 2. Absolutely abysmal action game, and boring in ever sense of the word.

DmC Devil May Cry. It tried to be different from OG DMC, but went about it the most cringeworthy way possible.

Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker. I don't know about you, but I sure as hell can't sit through hours of sailing.

Most of the mainline Pokemon games. I feel like GameFreak plays it too safe with them. I know they're marketed towards everyone, but still, would it kill for them to do something different for once?

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle. The RWBY characters are amazing. That's...really all this game has going for it.

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. The only Metal Gear Solid title I don't like. MGS V did everything this game did, but better.

Star Wars EA Battlefronts. Fuck EA, and fuck their lousy "attempt" at a Battlefront game.

I would put Personas 3, 4, and 5 here, however, after having a conversation with a friend of mine, I have decided to give them another chance. 

Fire Emblem: New Mystery

I adore this game, but I played through it so many times. It needs to rest.

Gears Of War 4

I'm a big fan of gears but good LORD THE CHARACTERS SUCK! The campaign is one of the worst of the series. I'm never playing Gears 4's campaign ever again. I'm not even gonna try with Gears 5, I already know the story will suck.

Kane & Lynch 1 & 2

The games suck ass.....that's it.  

Skyrim

I'm one of the unlucky sops who played Skyrim on PS3, and it was a slow, glitchy mess. This ruined my chances with trying it on the Xbox One.

Army Of Two

The games were alright but the story didn't really make it worth playing.

All of the Persona games

The games were...alright? The games weren't masterpieces. I was always bored during the mid to late game.The characters were average at best and the stories were meh. 

Destiny 2

I remember playing the original Destiny a lot. It was a solid MMO in its prime and I had some fun with it. Destiny 2 however...do I even need to explain?

ET for the Atari

Played this piece of shit when I was like 9 or something. I had heard all about how bad it supposedly was but I didn't expect it to be THAT bad. I have since never remotely touched that...thing at all or really even spoken of it.

The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall

I was legitimately curious about this game but upon playing it, suffered through several hours of trying to navigate through a clunky mess. I mean it's not like I expected much since the game runs on a brick, but geez. Maybe I will come back to it someday, but most likely not.

Persona 4
I didn't enjoy most bossfights and they forced me to grind a lot. Also the plot didn't impress me at all. Final bland dungeon and boss came out of nowhere.

FE11
This game is ok gameplaywise, but otherwise it has nothing really to offer. Most of these characters are just bland and most of them aren't usable. It has no replay feature for trying to use different teams from run to run.

FE Fates and Awakening - Actually, I can say this with the majority of Nintendo titles nowadays; with most of their stories: if you saw them once, you've pretty much seen it all. Zelda would probably be an exception, and FE Jugdral and Tellius may be another.

In No Particular Order:

1. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

I liked some aspects of the gameplay, but the excess of desert and swamp missions in Celica’s route, the lackluster story overall, Alm’s disappointing character, and other reasons besides, I just don’t want to play it again. I honestly would rather replay Shadow Dragon because at least it knew what it wanted to be.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 1.

I love the story, characters, music and worldbuilding, but I don’t like everything that makes it a game: combat is mediocre, exploration is mediocre, sidequests are terrible, the level-up mechanic is tacked on, I can’t see what’s happening for half the boss fights because the camera angles upwards uncontrollably, the forge mechanic is atrocious, etc. The only unquestionably good things about the gameplay are the ability customization system and the world design. That’s it. There’s an amazing story and world within this game, but it feels like a chore to get through.

3. Fire Emblem Fates: All three versions.

I don’t think I need to say why for this one. 

4. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

I love this game. I personally think Spirit Zelda is the best of Link’s companions, I like how almost every item has multiple different uses, I like the additional puzzles that Phantom Zelda brings, and I think the dungeons in this game were fantastic.

So why would I not replay this game? The Spirit Flute. You have to blow on the DS to get the instrument to work. I was always able to get the basic songs to work, but every time there was a plot-important duet in the story, I could not get it to work; despite a number of frustrating times where I was certain that I got it right but the game decided it wasn’t good enough. I kept having to give the DS to my brother because he was the only one in my family that could get it to work.