Ys IX: Monstrum Nox: Adol the Black Japan Release Sep 26th

Jedi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/25/falcom-president-wants-to-see-a-young-and-inexperienced-adol-again-more-on-ys-and-trails-series/

Random minor interview comments. They confirm considerations of remaking an older Ys (so V?). And, the president of Nihon Falcom wants to go back to a "young and inexperienced" Adol. Presumably this stems from IX's Adol being brooding and mature, the opposite of that.

Can someone make good fanart of Adol as if he had a Young Link equivalent? Ys 0.5: Shota Adol's Journey could be fun, and it'd fit the desired description. Just please no Toon Adol.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/25/falcom-president-wants-to-see-a-young-and-inexperienced-adol-again-more-on-ys-and-trails-series/

Random minor interview comments. They confirm considerations of remaking an older Ys (so V?). And, the president of Nihon Falcom wants to go back to a "young and inexperienced" Adol. Presumably this stems from IX's Adol being brooding and mature, the opposite of that.

Can someone make good fanart of Adol as if he had a Young Link equivalent? Ys 0.5: Shota Adol's Journey could be fun, and it'd fit the desired description. Just please no Toon Adol.

Yeah it's likely V since that takes place before 8. 

Also I got Ys 9! It's really fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also played Ys 9 for now. Have to say my japanese understanding gets better and better. But still have to learn quite a bit to be at 100%. Lets say I understand a bit more than 50%. 
Often I also seclude myself a bit with a new game.
So far I can say that I like the game, to me from gameplay its just what to expect from Ys. Won't say too much though until there is a western release. 

And I also think that Ys 5 will be likely as the next remake which I am glad for because its also my missing piece. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 3:39 PM, Etheus said:

I hope they do localize YS 9. Looks badass.

Oh,  I think that's a given. Ys 8 did from what I gather pretty good in the west, so it's only a question of "when" not "if", regarding localizing Ys 9. I'd be more worried for the Zero/Ao Kiseki remakes. 

That said, I wonder about a potential Switch version for Monstrum Nox. Ys 8 was not good and this kind of action game needs 60 fps. There is no Vita version this time, so if a port happens it should be directly from PS4 (or PC) to Switch. I'm not good at technical stuff but my hope is that they could maybe achieve better framerate this time, 'cause the graphics don't look too  demanding (for a layman at least). Doesn't help that Falcom don't have the in-house power to port stuff over and it will most likely be NISA again who do the job.  

• 4 months later...

I'm hyped as hell for the new Ys. VIII was insanely awesome, even if I had some doubts before playing it. It was just so different from all the earlier games (and I'm one of those who utterly enjoyed the bump-system of I&II). Those two still are my favourites, followed by VIII and Origins. I didn't watch any gameplay of IX before because I was always hoping for a localization, and lo and behold, here it is. I'll probably get the collectors, as it's not that much more expensive than a regular switch game...

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Currently playing YS Memories of Celceta on PS4 and... it's good. It's not great, but it's good.

I had the same feeling playing it. It isn't a bad game, it's just not as great as the others.

7 hours ago, coldhand25 said:

I'm hyped as hell for the new Ys. VIII was insanely awesome, even if I had some doubts before playing it. It was just so different from all the earlier games (and I'm one of those who utterly enjoyed the bump-system of I&II). Those two still are my favourites, followed by VIII and Origins. I didn't watch any gameplay of IX before because I was always hoping for a localization, and lo and behold, here it is. I'll probably get the collectors, as it's not that much more expensive than a regular switch game...

I had the same feeling playing it. It isn't a bad game, it's just not as great as the others.

I will say in its defense that I actually like Duren as much as most of the VIII cast. And no one in the Memories of Celceta cast has managed to annoy me yet, unlike both Strike characters in VIII.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to finishing that so I can put another game on rotation. Maybe Langrisser remake.

21 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to finishing that so I can put another game on rotation. Maybe Langrisser remake.

My plan was to play Langrisser after finishing VIII, but I'm still waiting for a sale or something. I would probably buy a physical copy of it for €50, but I will not buy it for that much digitally - or maybe I will, Ys IX release is still far away, and I don't really have any games planned for the summer, other than replaying Rayman 2 for like the 100th time

6 minutes ago, coldhand25 said:

My plan was to play Langrisser after finishing VIII, but I'm still waiting for a sale or something. I would probably buy a physical copy of it for €50, but I will not buy it for that much digitally - or maybe I will, Ys IX release is still far away, and I don't really have any games planned for the summer, other than replaying Rayman 2 for like the 100th time

I had picked up the digital version for 30% off recently. 

Right now, what I have on rotation is Witcher 3 (main game), Trails in the Sky TC (in short sittings), Memories of Celceta, and Three Houses (3rd playthrough).

What I want to put on rotation is Langrisser, Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Tales of Vesperia DE, and Ni No Kuni 2. And I have a vacation week set aside for Ghost of Tsushima.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I had picked up the digital version for 30% off recently. 

Right now, what I have on rotation is Witcher 3 (main game), Trails in the Sky TC (in short sittings), Memories of Celceta, and Three Houses (3rd playthrough).

What I want to put on rotation is Langrisser, Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Tales of Vesperia DE, and Ni No Kuni 2. And I have a vacation week set aside for Ghost of Tsushima.

Ah, nice plans, I hope you manage to finish all of them. Lately I don't have such a passion for playing games as I used to, that's why I'm reluctant to make a list of games I want to play - it will just leave a bad feeling if I don't play them, but playing them feels like a chore that way, which is even worse... I do make an exception with Ys IX, as I plan on preordering it as soon as it's available in Europe!

On 6/24/2020 at 6:18 AM, coldhand25 said:

I'm hyped as hell for the new Ys. VIII was insanely awesome, even if I had some doubts before playing it. It was just so different from all the earlier games (and I'm one of those who utterly enjoyed the bump-system of I&II).

Same here! Ys IX is one of my most anticipated games rn.

I would say VIII was a return to form, taking the high octane action from Origins/Felghana and marrying it with the exploration aspect of Celceta/VII. Best of both worlds, really.
The moment when it was confirmed that jumping is back I was confident VIII would bang. Ys IX looks like it follows that same formula, so we are in for more Falcom brilliance next year. 

That said, I will most likely opt for the PS4 version, since I expect the framerate on Switch to be capped at 30FPS. Got my copy of Celceta for PS4 yesterday and maaan, the experience is just so smooth compared to Vita. Falcom titles are the only ones I regret not having a gaming PC for. Those must be a blast with 120FPS.  

1 hour ago, know_naim said:

Same here! Ys IX is one of my most anticipated games rn.

I would say VIII was a return to form, taking the high octane action from Origins/Felghana and marrying it with the exploration aspect of Celceta/VII. Best of both worlds, really.
The moment when it was confirmed that jumping is back I was confident VIII would bang. Ys IX looks like it follows that same formula, so we are in for more Falcom brilliance next year. 

That said, I will most likely opt for the PS4 version, since I expect the framerate on Switch to be capped at 30FPS. Got my copy of Celceta for PS4 yesterday and maaan, the experience is just so smooth compared to Vita. Falcom titles are the only ones I regret not having a gaming PC for. Those must be a blast with 120FPS.  

Yep, I know what you mean, Rayman, Fire Emblem and Ys are the only games that could make me buy a gaming PC, if they were exclusive to it but luckily both Fire Emblem and Ys are available on consoles I have/had and we all know that a new Rayman game happening in the near future - or ever - is highly unlikely 😢

Honestly, I still can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60+ fps. I only notice frame rates if they dip. Consistency is what I care about.

Actually, my old man reflexes scored a lot more Flash Guards and Flash Moves on YS VIII with its 30 fps Switch port than I have with YS Memories of Celceta at 60 fps. Because the block button in YS VIII is actually on a useful button (the right button shared with specials) and the enemies actually tend to telegraph their moves worth a damn (mostly). It's so much better designed.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

• 6 months later...

The demo has been out on the EU PSN Store for quite some time now. Finally played it and well... my hype deflated a bit.
I don't mind the new movement options and the characters but the two dungeons introduced in the demo were just dull. 

Moreover, capping the demo to 10min? What were they thinking. Smh.    

I have to say, I may just get Ys. IX.

I'm new to the Ys series, but I got Ys VIII when it was on sale in December, I'm currently on chapter 5 and I just got to the part where Adol sees the ghost ship for the first time, and I'm currently enjoying the game a lot. The characters are interesting, the exploration is fantastic (better than Xenoblade Chronicles X, and I'm really surprised that I'm saying that), the combat is nothing amazing but is better than 99% of story-driven JRPGs with action combat (cough Xenoblade Chronicles cough, cough Final Fantasy XV cough), I like how the materials all go towards different things since there's no currency as the characters are stranded on a deserted island, and the story's been really interesting so far. I'm really glad I got the game. 

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm a lot closer to finishing Ys VIII, I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong; I'm still very much enjoying the game. But I think the stuff that I've been enjoying the most about it are things unique to this specific game. The stuff in the trailers for this game, like the prison and it all being centered on a certain city and such, just aren't catching my eye as much as Ys VIII did with the idea of being stranded on an island, finding castaways, and uncovering the mysteries surrounding the Dana character and such. 

Edited by vanguard333