Ys IX: Monstrum Nox: Adol the Black Japan Release Sep 26th

Jedi

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preview image featuring the 5 party members (interestingly, the girl from the teaser image and who's front and center in the art on the left isn't covered).

Also vampire lord Adol, it seems.

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Preview image featuring the 5 party members (interestingly, the girl from the teaser image and who's front and center in the art on the left isn't covered).

Also vampire lord Adol, it seems.

Quite the unique look for Adol, he's been changing around a bit, but this is by far his most drastic.

https://www.falcom.co.jp/ys9/characters/

japanese website for ys9 is open.

So White cat can climb buildings (already known) and Hawk can glide through the air. I guess this game will be more flexibel with moving. I like it.

I think about playing it in japanese this time. It will take an eternity to be released in the west =/. Even if it should be supported in the west...

Edited by Stroud

4 hours ago, Stroud said:

https://www.falcom.co.jp/ys9/characters/

japanese website for ys9 is open.

So White cat can climb buildings (already known) and Hawk can glide through the air. I guess this game will be more flexibel with moving. I like it.

I think about playing it in japanese this time. It will take an eternity to be released in the west =/. Even if it should be supported in the west...

Falcom is trying to push their stuff West, I'd imagine Ys 9 will be localized quicker than most games prior. Judging from their recent interviews anyways.

They're also riding on the high of Ys 8 and Cold Steel 4 winning players choice in Japan back to back years, so hopefully we see that excitement come west as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Adol is now black haired in this game. I assume it's because of the curse it's said he's under. He is in fact NOT the red-head we see on the cover.

Edited by Jedi

Now, we cannot call him adol the red for this game xD Now he is Adol the blueish black.
I am intrigued. And yeah I hope they push it to be released faster in the west D=. At least the release seems to be soon. So nice.  

5 hours ago, Stroud said:

Now, we cannot call him adol the red for this game xD Now he is Adol the blueish black.
I am intrigued. And yeah I hope they push it to be released faster in the west D=. At least the release seems to be soon. So nice.  

We got a full view here

uya5v4via8u21.jpg

He seems to be undercover

58 minutes ago, Jedi said:

He seems to be undercover

I mean it makes sense, because it is a Prison in the Roman Empire. Which is pretty tight about security and they have Adol on their sight in the Roman Empire. So he may be in a undercover mission there. xD

Sadly there are a lots of Kanji I still need to memorize and some are difficult to identify, because of the resolution. on the left side it says something about Strange incident. Guess this was the one about Adol being suspected? 
But I cannot totally decipher some Kanji on the upper part of the left text.

Edited by Stroud

On 4/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, Stroud said:

I mean it makes sense, because it is a Prison in the Roman Empire. Which is pretty tight about security and they have Adol on their sight in the Roman Empire. So he may be in a undercover mission there. xD

Sadly there are a lots of Kanji I still need to memorize and some are difficult to identify, because of the resolution. on the left side it says something about Strange incident. Guess this was the one about Adol being suspected? 
But I cannot totally decipher some Kanji on the upper part of the left text.

Suspected? Interesting, sounds like the Romun Empire might be following him around after Ys 6 and 7, he kind of made a mess of their stuff haha.

On ‎26‎.‎04‎.‎2019 at 5:34 AM, Jedi said:

Suspected? Interesting, sounds like the Romun Empire might be following him around after Ys 6 and 7, he kind of made a mess of their stuff haha.

Yeah, I took some more time to translate. Also translated Dogis text. Found them both on the homepage.

So, its clear that it plays after Altago. (Ys7). Ages are also depicted. Adol 24, Dogi 29. From what I could translate it goes like this.

Adols Text:

Adol has been searched as a suspect/witness for the incident regarding the disappearing fleet of the Roman empire in the Atlas ocean, he was detained by the knights of the roman empire and brought into the Prison, city.
After several attempts of fleeing he meets a mysterious woman who drags him to a group of strange people. (I guess its about the inmates who are playable).

Must be about the events in Naphistim why he is searched bei the Romun Empire. As you said he made a mess of their stuff.

Dogis Text:

Beginning is some explanation who Dogi is and then...

After the adventure in Altago Dogi and his Friend Adol wanted to go through the Romun Empire to reach their destination (Gria Erlingen?), on the arrival they have been seen by Romun Knights. 

I guess Dogi, somehow escaped and tries to get Adol out from the screens we saw. Or they just left him, because he is not the one they wanted. 

I mean it makes sense. In all the games he has avoided the Romun empire and as mentioned here he is searched already. Still love how they connect the Ys games.

Edited by Stroud

26 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Adol has been searched as a suspect/witness for the incident regarding the disappearing fleet of the Roman empire in the Atlas ocean

Pardon me as an outsider, but from what I've seen tossed around here, it sounds like Adol has a reputation for something you should not let onto your boat, unless you have a real good insurance plan covering it. Is this a serious/tongue-in-cheek reference to this coincidence I see joked about?

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Pardon me as an outsider, but from what I've seen tossed around here, it sounds like Adol has a reputation for something you should not let onto your boat, unless you have a real good insurance plan covering it. Is this a serious/tongue-in-cheek reference to this coincidence I see joked about?

Adol the red has quite a reputation yeah. And Dogi is often joking about Adol dragging calamity with him. I remember at least 2 games where Adol gets shipwrecked. Well 3 times, but the first time it was only him with a boat. xD 

I should have been more hyped about the games in which he reached the port with the ship intact...now I know what mighty moment that is.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/05/25/ys-ix-monstrum-nox-introduces-new-monstrum-bull-puppet-and-apostate/

Three of the new characters being discussed, they also confirmed a few Japanese VAs.

The most curious lines here to me are:

"One important point to note about her is whether she’s a puppet or a Monstrum is a secret."

"Her Monstrum ability is “The Third Eye”, which makes usually unviewable things viewable, such as switches and treasure. It works regardless of elevation differences. One downside is that “you might see too much”."

The former sounds like it could be plot-related, the latter leaves mean wondering what it means. Is there "static" that by being so plentiful, blocks out the relevant stuff if seen from the wrong place? Think of it like trying to look for a lit torch in a volcano's active crater, if I used thermal vision to search for the lit torch in the volcano, I probably couldn't see it because of how much heat there is around it. -I'm just speculating here.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nihon-falcom-president-interview-feature-trails-of-cold-steel-3-switch-ys-9

Just a neat little interview. 

Some very abbreviated summaries from it:

• Ys being a success in the West isn't a surprise being an action game. The text-heaviness of Trails makes it a West success surprise however.
  • Nihon Falcom left the PC where it began for consoles when the Japanese PC market shrank. Returning to the PC is both a West appeal, and a homecoming to NF's roots. PC porting is easy.
  • 3D modeling has been one of NF's biggest challenges recently, not much experience with this having been a mostly 2D company.
  • On PC sales, Ys has usually outdone Trails. In retail sales, Trails demolishes Ys.
  • The relationship with NIS America has only strengthened after the Ys VIII debacle. Will work to ensure greater consistency and quality.
  • Ys IX international release discussions will not begin until the game is released in Japan. So this autumn.
  • Ys IX is going to feature more verticality, because action in VIII was deemed too flat.
  • NF lacks the knowhow for development of games on Switch, and it is convinced its main player base is on Playstation systems. It'll happily release games on Switch if other companies can port them however.
  • Ys and Kiseki are both character-focused. Would like to resurrect something gameplay-focused, so Xanadu and Sorcerian.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...