Am I the only one who doesn't like Rath?

Gregster101

Just getting this out there, no, I'm not trying to be some edgy contrarian with the title. This has been something that has been on my mind for a while. Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about Rath, and to an extent, Rath x Lyn? Like, I get why other people like him and ship him with Lyn, but...he honestly just kind of bores me. And I'm not saying this just cuz I'm a huge Hector x Lyn fanboy, Rath just doesn't really interest me at all. I also don't really like him as a unit very much. He joins too late for my liking, which is a shame cuz I really do like Bow Knights.

Just so we're clear, I'm not saying I hate Rath, god no, compared to some of my most hated characters like Peri and Makalov, Rath is FAR better than those two. I just personally find both him and Rath x Lyn overrated, that's all.

I agree with you there. Rath was always rather bland to me, though as you say, there are definitely worse characters. And think that pairing is kinda overrated myself. I'm totally a Hector x Lyn shipper.

Not trying to start a shipping war here at all. Just saying I agree with the OP.

Edited by Anacybele

As a unit: all things considered, hes arguably the best bow user in FE7 (although that really isn't saying much).

Hes miles ahead of Rebecca and Wil, doesn't have the overly restrictive recruitment conditions of Geitz, and has better availability + endgame potential that Louise. 

As a character-: hes fine for his archetype (the silent, serious, stoic type). The game tells us that's culturally supposed to be how men of Sacae behave, and I've always found Rath's characterization to be a valuable addition to the cast insofar as its not just his own character hes bringing to the table. Its worldbuilding for the Elibe setting--through Rath we really get a good sense of what the culture of Sacae and the life of its people entails. (something FE7 was really good that the newer games haven't necessarily been doing so well is using its characters for worldbuilding; letting their characterization fill out the setting rather than making it all about their quirks and gimmicks. Rath is an excellent example of this.)

As a pairing: I'm abslutely fine with Rath x Lyn. I like it better than Lyn's other pairings to be honest. I think its most fitting with Lyn's character that at the end of the day--after all the pomp and circumstance of her coming to Lycia and joining the aristocracy and questing with Eliwood and Hector--she still first and foremost sees herself as Sacaen. And her true heart belongs to the Plains; thats the life she wants to return to. Thats the kind of partner that would suit her best.

(Kent belongs with Fiora, and Eliwood belogns with Ninian, so those two are non-starters. Hector x Lyn is okay I guess, but its my least favorite Hector pairing.) 

Edited by Shoblongoo

7 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

As a pairing: I'm abslutely fine with Rath x Lyn. I like it better than Lyn's other pairings to be honest. I think its most fitting with Lyn's character that at the end of the day--after all the pomp and circumstance of her coming to Lycia and joining the aristocracy and questing with Eliwood and Hector--she still first and foremost sees herself as Sacaen. And her true heart belongs to the Plains; thats the life she wants to return to. Thats the kind of partner that would suit her best.

(Kent belongs with Fiora, and Eliwood belogns with Ninian, so those two are non-starters. Hector x Lyn is okay I guess, but its my least favorite Hector pairing.) 

It's not that I hate Rath x Lyn, I don't, but it just never really hooked me in like Hector x Lyn did, even though it probably does make more sense. I guess it's also because of how vocal hate became for Hector x Lyn because of a certain Youtuber who's name I'm not gonna mention, so it just sort of became the cool thing to shit on Hector x Lyn because of it :I

It's not so much that I hate Rath but I hate the developers for making a unique unit with such terrible availability. He's just not usable that late into the game and he barely gains exp in Lyn's route since level 7 may as well be a pre promote. As for his personality/supports I have no idea. Never read them because supports aren't available in Lyn's route and I never saw a need to use him in the late game when he reappears.

1 hour ago, Gregster101 said:

It's not that I hate Rath x Lyn, I don't, but it just never really hooked me in like Hector x Lyn did, even though it probably does make more sense.

In regards to this, you have to understand that that right there already shows a major gap. Hector and Lyn are main protags, and Hector has a mode for himself. Not only do Lyn and Hector have their own support conversation, but they interact many more times in the story, thus allowing story moments where Lyn and Hector get emotional times. This allows the Lyn/Hector to skyrocket a lot in popularity because the players see this and feel its just perfect because of how the story works. Similar reasons to Eliwood/Ninian. They have more than just a support conversation, they have the main story to help build that relationship.

Rath is not a main protag. He has only minor interactions and does not play too strong of a story role. Therefore, he simply cannot have the story moments of being emotionally interactive with Lyn like we could have with Hector. Rath and Lyn only have their meetings in Lyn Mode and recruiting Rath again, and then the support. But that's it. 

Another reason people might also like the Rath/Lyn pairing is because it's the ONLY paired ending Rath gets. Meaning Sue either has Lyn as her mother, or an unnamed woman, unlike others like Rebecca, Hector, or Eliwood, who can have multiple paired endings and variety in who their child's parent is.

Edited by omegaxis1

6 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

In regards to this, you have to understand that that right there already shows a major gap. Hector and Lyn are main protags, and Hector has a mode for himself. Not only do Lyn and Hector have their own support conversation, but they interact many more times in the story, thus allowing story moments where Lyn and Hector get emotional times. This allows the Lyn/Hector to skyrocket a lot in popularity because the players see this and feel its just perfect because of how the story works. Similar reasons to Eliwood/Ninian. They have more than just a support conversation, they have the main story to help build that relationship.

Rath is not a main protag. He has only minor interactions and does not play too strong of a story role. Therefore, he simply cannot have the story moments of being emotionally interactive with Lyn like we could have with Hector. Rath and Lyn only have their meetings in Lyn Mode and recruiting Rath again, and then the support. But that's it. 

Another reason people might also like the Rath/Lyn pairing is because it's the ONLY paired ending Rath gets. Meaning Sue either has Lyn as her mother, or an unnamed woman, unlike others like Rebecca, Hector, or Eliwood, who can have multiple paired endings and variety in who their child's mother is.

That is a very good point, and one that I didn’t realize until you mentioned just now.

Side note, I do like Sue in FE6, but not enough to really pair Lyn with Rath

I like Rath. His design is nice and it's good to have a more quiet, reserved character. I do with he had more supports and availability, but I like him for what he is. 

Hes also my favourite pairing for Lyn. I don't like any of the pairings that don't see her going back to Sacae, while I tend to lean more towards Farina for Kent and Hector for Florina. They look good together and their supports are pretty nice, too. 

Edited by Cute Chao

25 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

That is a very good point, and one that I didn’t realize until you mentioned just now.

Side note, I do like Sue in FE6, but not enough to really pair Lyn with Rath

It's cool. It's a very easy thing to miss surprisingly enough. People bring out the cases like how one pairing have so many emotional moments in the story or such. 

The ironic thing is that this also caused Sumia/Chrom to be widely viewed in contempt, because of how Sumia is forced as the main love interest for Chrom by the opening movie, the cutscene of Sumia rescuing Chrom called Lovebirds I believe, and Sumia being the very first in line for the marriage option. 

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It's cool. It's a very easy thing to miss surprisingly enough. People bring out the cases like how one pairing have so many emotional moments in the story or such. 

The ironic thing is that this also caused Sumia/Chrom to be widely viewed in contempt, because of how Sumia is forced as the main love interest for Chrom by the opening movie, the cutscene of Sumia rescuing Chrom called Lovebirds I believe, and Sumia being the very first in line for the marriage option. 

Technically Sully is recruited before Sumia

I like his design and he is my preferred pairing with Lyn(It's the only one that makes sense), though those aren't anywhere near enough for me to go "Man, I really like Rath". It's pretty much just enough for me to remember that he exists.

I have a love for the Sacaens, and Bow Cav/Nomad is my favorite FE class, so I personally have a lot of appreciation for Rath. That said, he's not the most interesting of FE characters, and certainly not among the best characters in 7.

Yes, you're the only one.  Don't you feel special?

In other words, think about what you want to say.  Not everyone in the world has to be a fan of Rath, but why is it so important for you to announce this to the world?

I adore his horse, which gives him all the benefits of a mounted unit, and half of the penalties.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Yes, you're the only one.  Don't you feel special?

In other words, think about what you want to say.  Not everyone in the world has to be a fan of Rath, but why is it so important for you to announce this to the world?

I adore his horse, which gives him all the benefits of a mounted unit, and half of the penalties.

It isn't, but it's just been something that's been on my mind recently that's all

1 minute ago, Gregster101 said:

It isn't, but it's just been something that's been on my mind recently that's all

In which case, I'm just going to close this topic.