What should my FE6 team be?

Hey everyone, it's me again! I'm trying to find a team for FE6. I was thinking for it to be;

• Marcus
  • Alen
  • Lance
  • Dieck
  • Shanna
  • Zelot
  • Thea
  • Larum/Effin
  • Melady
  • Percival
  • Fae
  • Zeiss
  • Yoder
  • Karel

I was also thinking of Thea, Rutger, Echidna and Hugh. Also, I heard of a route split, but I know nothing about it, so I'd appreciate some info. I know it may be alot of units, but I know nothing about this game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Let me know what you think of my team.

Regarding the route split issue, there are two. The first is dependent on which village you visited out of the two top ones in chapter 9. The second is dependent on how much experience your nomads and pegasus knights gained (or rather, which two gained more experience).

2 minutes ago, Simon the Digger said:

I see. Am I able to recruit every character I named regardless of routes?

You can. With one caveat. Karel can only be recruited if you access chapter 23, which requires you to obtain all of the divine weapons and not break any of them. And even then, he requires one of two specific units (Fir or Bartre) to visit his village.

Anyway, as for your team composition, I see one glaring flaw: You don't have a healer. Well, besides Yodel, but he doesn't come until rather late, and if you don't have a healer, you WILL suffer.

And of your units, you can safely drop Marcus for a healer if/when he stops being useful.  One of Saul/Elen/Clarine will work for earlygame, and if your healer of choice is a disappointment, there's always Cecilia.

You also have a distinct lack of mages.  Lugh might be able to fill in.

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

The first is dependent on which village you visited out of the two top ones in chapter 9.

Echidna is locked to one half of this route split - 10A/10B. Offhand I don't recall which half she's in, but this is a thing, so if you intend to use her make sure you visit the correct village.

Aside from that, a bunch of lategame enemies have massive def but low res and 1 range, so definitely consider picking up a couple of mages at least.

I would suggest not relying on a specific team unless you like to reset a lot or something.

Anyway, I would highly suggest using Niime instead of Yoder as she joins earlier with better stats.

Edited by CatManThree

My current team right now are Roy, Lilina, Dieck,Thany, Sue, Fir, Clarine,Lance, Alan, Noah,Shopia, Hugh, Klein, whit Milady, Percival, Ray and Oujay at extra units.To many Paladins... But thats in normal mode because is my first time

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have alot to unpack, so bear with me.

I hear that I need to use a healer.

I usually use a staffbot until I get the staff user I want, (ex: In FE7, I'll use serra and priscilla as staffbots until Pent) but I decided to use Clarine, since she's on a mount and "healz tho". Her averages look a tad weak, but I hope "but heals tho" will justify using her. This will also justify the self-imposed mage quota you guys mentioned, even though I don't think someone should use a mage for the sake of using a mage (Ex: That's like using Erk instead of a better unit, Lowen cuz "magic tho"). But, mounted healer and anima user, I guess that's pretty good.

Anyway, I would highly suggest using Niime instead of Yoder as she joins earlier with better stats.

Idk man, why not both? I heard they were both great units. Any objections?

I'll also decice to not use Marcus, since I looked at his averages and they look kinda trash. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'd rather build up Allen and Lance cause they'll be better in the long run. Feel free to debate me on that though.

Also, what are your guy's thoughts on Zelot? Should I actually use him throughout the game?

• Alen
  • Lance
  • Dieck
  • Shanna
  • Clarine
  • Zelot(?)
  • Thea
  • Larum/Effin
  • Melady
  • Percival
  • Fae
  • Zeiss
  • Yoder
  • Karel

• 2 weeks later...

I think you shouldn't use Zealot. He is like Marcus but has better stats. Why dont you use some mages? Like Lilina i think she is best mage unit in this game.Slower than others but not that slow. I dont suggest using fae too because her dragonstone is only one in the game.If your dragonstone broke then you cant fight with fae anymore.I dont suggest using Yoder and Karel too because they join VERY late.Use another units like Elen for Yoder, Fir or Rutger for Karel.You should use a shaman too because you will get a special dark tome so you need someone to use it.I dont suggest niime because she joins 18 level with low hp and con,but there is raigh who does the job better!Also there are only 14 units in your team. I think you should use more because near the endgame there will be 16-18 unit limit. 

I played this game plenty of times. And i used most of the units in the game.But i used these units most:

-Alen

-Lance 

-Bors 

-Elen 

-Dieck

-Clarine 

-Dorothy

-Sue 

-Lilina 

-Oujay(Ogier)

-Fir 

-Shin

-Gonzales 

-Thea 

-Miledy 

-Raigh 

Edited by S-Nintendo1985

You use mages to snipe things with low Res, which is a lot of units in the game.  You'll also want a staffbot to make a certain chapter MUCH easier.  Preferably someone with a competent Mag stat (read: not Clarine unless you rig her levels).  Variety is good, since it means you have more options, and in this game, options are good.

Rutger's good early-on, but eventually falls off.  I'd rather have Deke/Echinda for a foot-based swordie.

• 3 months later...

The whole thing depends on normal or hard mode. For example, Dieck is much better compared to Rutger on Normal mode, because they both meet the speed benchmarks and Dieck has a much better promotion and better strength. But on hard mode,  Dieck will not double very much out of his joining chapter, while Rutger is pretty much one of the only units that doubles everything. 

• 6 months later...

Toss out Marcus, Zealot, Thea, Yoder and Karel. 

Marcus and Zealot are good early on but fall fast. Thea is pointless when you already have shanna who becomes ahead of her. Yoder and Karel show up very late in the game so don't bother with them because by the time you get them, you already have units better than them.

Ones I would add are Rutger, Lugh and Niime. Rutger for being the best unit early on. Lugh being rather a decent mage and Niime for being the best healer in the entire game.

Of course, you can also get Clarine due to her having a horse and I guess...Cecila? 

Edited by Harvey

I would suggest not relying on a specific team unless you like to reset a lot or something.

This is probably the best piece of advice anyone can give you. You don't have to plan your team meticulously. The first two cavaliers, Rutger, Shanna, and Miledy are some of the best growths units you can use, but regardless just use who you like and have your prepromotes help you build up growths units that can't clear things on their own.

• 2 years later...
On 11/2/2019 at 11:07 AM, samthedigital said:

This is probably the best piece of advice anyone can give you. You don't have to plan your team meticulously. The first two cavaliers, Rutger, Shanna, and Miledy are some of the best growths units you can use, but regardless just use who you like and have your prepromotes help you build up growths units that can't clear things on their own.

Don't mind me posting this three years after the topic, but ultimately a lot of the replayability of Fire Emblem is seeing how the strangest units blossom or surpass ordinary expectations. Remember Bartre, the garbage Fighter in FE7? I almost always take B route, plop a speedwings on him, and go to town with bow rank. In one of my runs, I one-rounded Zephiel with him via Murgleis. Sure, there's standard and reliable units for a team (especially Milady, she's so absurdly good), but try out the underdogs. Fae can staffbait; Elen can reliably cap luck; Barth (if you're patient) can solo the second Sacae chapter. There's usually something you can change up to make your runs more memorable.