Inheritance

UFVKNP

Alright, I know there's already a topic about item inheritance on here, but that guy has different pairs than mine. I also didn't really want to derail things there, if it happened, so... either way, new topic.

I've got a few plans for my item inheritance sorted out, but I'd like some pointers for the remainder because I've been agonizing over this for a few days now.

I'm at the beginning of chapter 4 and I missed the Knight Ring and the Bargain Ring. To my knowledge, every other stat-boosting and skill-granting ring available up to this point in the game is in someone's inventory or the pawn shop (except the Speed Ring, I had that on Finn and forgot to unequip it before he left). Here's my pairs.

Adean and Jamke: Obvious inheritance weapons are obvious, but I'm also considering giving Jamke the Power Ring to pass down because I don't know if I want to give Lester the Pursuit Ring.

Ayra and Lex: Obviously, Larcei is getting Ayra's Brave Sword (what kind of idiot would I be otherwise). She's also inheriting the Skill and Leg rings from her mother, for the horse movement and Astra proc rate. However, I'm not totally sure what to do with Ulster. I know he gets an A rank in swords starting off. If I give Lex the Silver Blade (just a possibility, I have a spare Silver Sword he could use as well), would he pass it down to Ulster even though Lex can't use it?

Lachesis and Beowulf: Naturally, Nanna is getting the Prayer Sword and her Heal Staff (and probably the Thief Sword and Earth Sword as well because I don't like using either of them). But the same question with Lex and Ulster comes up again with Beowulf and Diarmuid: Beowulf has a B rank in swords (I haven't been using him much) while Diarmuid has an A starting out. If I give Beowulf an A-rank sword that he can't use, will he pass it down to Diarmuid, who can use it? I also want to give Diarmuid the Shield Ring to make up for the fact that I haven't been using either of his parents too much, and if he can't inherit A-rank swords from Beowulf, I may also pass down the Defender Sword.

Sylvia is unpaired, so her inheritance is moot.

Erinys and Azel: I mostly went with this pairing so Ced would be at his second-best (since I've got Tailtiu with Lewyn this time around). Not really sure what he should inherit. On the other hand, I feel the best course of action with Azel as her father is for Fee to be my resident magic sword user. As such, I'm passing down those to her, plus the Magic Ring to give her that extra boost until her stats start to round out. She'll also get Erinys' Slim Lance because it has some kills on it and I don't want her to be locked to swords, plus the Barrier Ring to help combat the magic users she'll inevitably be going up against. Another question: does the trinity of magic apply to magic swords?

Tailtiu and Lewyn: Again, obvious weapon inheritance is obvious. Arthur is getting Elwind and Forseti, and Tine... well, she can't inherit Thoron (I think), so she'll probably stick with her starting Elthunder for a while. These two are the reason that I'm on the fence about Lester getting the Pursuit Ring, however. They'll both have great speed thanks to Lewyn, but neither one will have Pursuit right off the bat (and I don't think they'll get it through promotion either). For the first generation, I've got the Pursuit Ring on Lewyn for gameplay purposes over inheritance purposes and I was planning to keep it on him, mostly because Tailtiu doesn't really have a whole lot of gold and I don't think she'll be able to buy it to pass it down to Tine in the first place. Thoughts?

Briggid and Holyn: Of course, Febail is getting Yewfelle (and Briggid's also passing down her Silver Bow because I don't want his only weapon to be a holy weapon). Patty's a bit trickier, though, since she's not much of a combat unit. She has a starting sword rank of B, so she could inherit a Steel Sword, but not a Blade or a Silver Sword (I think), and I'd rather that be the case so she has something other than the Sleep Sword to use. Would it be worth passing something down to her and trying to make her a combat unit? I hear she's a pretty decent Thief Fighter on promotion, but lack of Pursuit leaves me skeptical.

That's about it. I also have the Paragon Band, and absolutely no idea who to give that to, as well as two Return Rings, which I'm also totally baffled on, and I think that's about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, UFVKNP said:

I'm at the beginning of chapter 4 and I missed the Knight Ring and the Bargain Ring. To my knowledge, every other stat-boosting and skill-granting ring available up to this point in the game is in someone's inventory or the pawn shop (except the Speed Ring, I had that on Finn and forgot to unequip it before he left).

not having those 2 rings isn't a big deal anyway, since they're helpful but not heavily necessary to complete the game. they're mostly for completionists.

Adean and Jamke: Obvious inheritance weapons are obvious, but I'm also considering giving Jamke the Power Ring to pass down because I don't know if I want to give Lester the Pursuit Ring.

Ayra and Lex: Obviously, Larcei is getting Ayra's Brave Sword (what kind of idiot would I be otherwise). She's also inheriting the Skill and Leg rings from her mother, for the horse movement and Astra proc rate. However, I'm not totally sure what to do with Ulster. I know he gets an A rank in swords starting off. If I give Lex the Silver Blade (just a possibility, I have a spare Silver Sword he could use as well), would he pass it down to Ulster even though Lex can't use it?

Lachesis and Beowulf: Naturally, Nanna is getting the Prayer Sword and her Heal Staff (and probably the Thief Sword and Earth Sword as well because I don't like using either of them). But the same question with Lex and Ulster comes up again with Beowulf and Diarmuid: Beowulf has a B rank in swords (I haven't been using him much) while Diarmuid has an A starting out. If I give Beowulf an A-rank sword that he can't use, will he pass it down to Diarmuid, who can use it? I also want to give Diarmuid the Shield Ring to make up for the fact that I haven't been using either of his parents too much, and if he can't inherit A-rank swords from Beowulf, I may also pass down the Defender Sword.

Sylvia is unpaired, so her inheritance is moot.

Erinys and Azel: I mostly went with this pairing so Ced would be at his second-best (since I've got Tailtiu with Lewyn this time around). Not really sure what he should inherit. On the other hand, I feel the best course of action with Azel as her father is for Fee to be my resident magic sword user. As such, I'm passing down those to her, plus the Magic Ring to give her that extra boost until her stats start to round out. She'll also get Erinys' Slim Lance because it has some kills on it and I don't want her to be locked to swords, plus the Barrier Ring to help combat the magic users she'll inevitably be going up against. Another question: does the trinity of magic apply to magic swords?

Tailtiu and Lewyn: Again, obvious weapon inheritance is obvious. Arthur is getting Elwind and Forseti, and Tine... well, she can't inherit Thoron (I think), so she'll probably stick with her starting Elthunder for a while. These two are the reason that I'm on the fence about Lester getting the Pursuit Ring, however. They'll both have great speed thanks to Lewyn, but neither one will have Pursuit right off the bat (and I don't think they'll get it through promotion either). For the first generation, I've got the Pursuit Ring on Lewyn for gameplay purposes over inheritance purposes and I was planning to keep it on him, mostly because Tailtiu doesn't really have a whole lot of gold and I don't think she'll be able to buy it to pass it down to Tine in the first place. Thoughts?

Briggid and Holyn: Of course, Febail is getting Yewfelle (and Briggid's also passing down her Silver Bow because I don't want his only weapon to be a holy weapon). Patty's a bit trickier, though, since she's not much of a combat unit. She has a starting sword rank of B, so she could inherit a Steel Sword, but not a Blade or a Silver Sword (I think), and I'd rather that be the case so she has something other than the Sleep Sword to use. Would it be worth passing something down to her and trying to make her a combat unit? I hear she's a pretty decent Thief Fighter on promotion, but lack of Pursuit leaves me skeptical.

Adean and Jamke: it would be better if you give the Skill ring to Jamke, rather than the Power ring.

together with the Killer bow, you probably won't need anything else. there's also people who eventually sell the Brave bow to Faval(Febail?) later on, in order to save up money on his Crusader weapon.

Ayra and Lex: there's better alternatives in terms of rings for Larcei. you don't really need the Skill ring since with the Brave Sword and Astra you can pretty much destroy anything that doesn't have Great Shield. the Leg ring usually goes to dancers, but everyone has his own preferences.

in theory, if Lex gets a Silver blade, he should be able to pass it down, but if you don't want to risk loosing an item, just sell everything to the Pawn shop to be safe and that's it.

Ulster would be the best candidate for the Silver blade, followed by Oifaye and Leaf.

Lachesis and Beowulf: one of the main builds on Delmud is indeed the Defender sword + Shield ring.

those two items makes him quite strong from early game, as he basicly becomes a secondary Oifaye in terms of defence. together with Charisma, he makes up for a good front-line unit later on.

Erinys and Azel: on Ced, wind tomes should be alright. on Fee, i guess it goes with personal preference, if you plan to kite the enemy with magic swords or not.

some people prefer to play her as support with healing staffs after promotion, others use her as anti-mage unit with Barrier sword + Barrier ring.

not sure about magic trinity applying to swords thou.

Tailtiu and Lewyn: don't worry about Lenster, he'll be fine with the Killer bow + Skill ring eventually.

also, the Pursuit ring would be better on units with Brave weapons, since they can deal up to 4 attacks at once. the decision is yours anyway.

Briggid and Holyn: unless you really want a Thief fighter, don't bother with Patty.

otherwise, use mostly magic swords during early game, because she has the bad habit of getting killed by any non-bandit unit that gets close to her.

i think the Sleep sword works in arenas too, but i'm not 100% sure.

That's about it. I also have the Paragon Band, and absolutely no idea who to give that to, as well as two Return Rings, which I'm also totally baffled on, and I think that's about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

usually for the Elite(Paragon?) ring it goes like this:

- if you give it to Sigurd, you'll have a strong Seliph as horseback unit early on;

- if you give it to Ethlyn, you'll have a godlike Leaf as horseback unit early on. i said godlike because Master knights in this game are broken;

- if you give it to anyone else, you'll just have an early promoted unit( with exceptions - Ced as example ). the choice is yours.

Return rings usually go on units with high defence and/or survival chances, that can eventually catch up with the main army once they're done with their work( horseback ):

- Oifaye;

- Fin;

- Delmud;

- Hannibal.

Edited by Fenreir

Wow, that's pretty useful. Thanks, dude. Let's see...

Good to know about Jamke. I hadn't thought of that. I'll throw the skill ring on him when chapter 5 rolls around.

I'll keep a save state to find out if Lex and Beowulf can pass down the swords. And I can't exactly pass down the leg ring to a dancer, but yeah, I think this'll do.

If Fee is that versatile, I might end up filling up her inventory with different stuff to fulfill whatever she needs to on the fly. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the sleep sword works in arena. It's an instant win if she hits with it, but it's expensive af to repair, soooo...

As for the elite ring, I can't pass it down to Leif, so Seliph it is. I might give it to Leif later, though. And the return ring tips, excellent.

Thanks a lot! This is a huge help!

Lex and Beowulf can pass on swords they can't use, but they can't buy swords they can't use; so for example if Lex killed Chagall and got the Silver Blade he could keep it and pass it on, but if you have the Silver Blade in the pawn shop he cannot buy it to pass it on.

As for magic swords, I believe the magic triangle only effects them when being used from range.

Another interesting option for the return ring is if can give Nanna the return staff and return ring you can have her use return Leif and Finn back to the main army, and her use the return ring to reunite the two armies early

Passing down Swords is generally not a big issue because Larcei can sell all the swords she inherits in the very first castle. Units who use Swords - like Ulster, Oifaye and Delmud - can just buy them there right away.

15 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Lex and Beowulf can pass on swords they can't use, but they can't buy swords they can't use; so for example if Lex killed Chagall and got the Silver Blade he could keep it and pass it on, but if you have the Silver Blade in the pawn shop he cannot buy it to pass it on.

Damn, that complicates things a bit, then. It looks like I can do what Yojinbo said though. Ayra can buy the swords, pass them down to Larcei, and then sell them off for the rest of the kids.