May I ask why some Fire Emblem fans act like Awakening and Fates were the worst thing to happen to the series?

Decerd

2 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

I'm not really talking about how they are presented through in-engine models and such because in that regard you would be correct(kind of) I'm more so referring to how they are presented in this cutscene  Also the risen chief design/portrait as well is what I'm referring to:

Portrait_risen_chief_fe13.png.71a8938c75d6a34988f861d11a0a0d00.png

Though the DLC have some models that are far more unnerving. Like the Death's Embrace Risen:

latest?cb=20150306201354latest?cb=20150306201515

Or the ones in Roster Rescue:

latest?cb=20150306201529latest?cb=20150306201538latest?cb=20150306201546

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

Though the DLC have some models that are far more unnerving. Like the Death's Embrace Risen:

latest?cb=20150306201354latest?cb=20150306201515

Or the ones in Roster Rescue:

latest?cb=20150306201529latest?cb=20150306201538latest?cb=20150306201546

Death's embrace risen is fairly cool 

The roster rescue ones are just entombed with spears and arrows stuck in them, so nay on them.

1 minute ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Death's embrace risen is fairly cool 

The roster rescue ones are just entombed with spears and arrows stuck in them, so nay on them.

The latter isn't just what's sticking in them, but combined with how Frederick described them as:

Frederick: No, milord. We're safe...for now... But they were no ordinary revenants. I managed to strike one as they withdrew. The sound it made chilled my blood... It sounded almost like...a laugh... Clearly some new dark art is at work here. Someone made them bigger...stronger... I shudder to think what such a foe could be planning to do with our roster...

Meaning these things are laughing with all these weapons sticking out of them. 

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

The latter isn't just what's sticking in them, but combined with how Frederick described them as:

Meaning these things are laughing with all these weapons sticking out of them. 

Again I don't see that as intimidating, they're just the same entombed we've been killing only bigger with weapons in them.

14 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

They're still all generic fighter class units in that cutscene, thats not impressive.

Look at this though.

I'd say those are all more terrifying then the risen chief.

Awakening doesn't even have dracozombies.

I mean while the sprite work and animation, imo aside from maybe the one using the "rotten claw" none of these really give off that creepy uncanny vibe that the risen do. They're just kind of generic. Generic skeleton warrior, generic gargoyle, generic centaur, generic hellhound etc. They're all monsters but they don't creep me creep out as much because they look like and move like generic monsters I can find most anywhere. I'm desensitized to it in a sense. The risen, again, look human-ish but they're not and they move in ways that mimic humans but is still not quite the same which again gives it a very uncanny vibe to it. The sounds they make are also bone-chilling(at least to me anyway) also the fact that some risen are able to speak adds so much more to the creepy factor. It puts into your head that these things are in fact reanimated corpses and have some form of sentience which adds a layer of pity as well as creepiness cause of how they speak. They speak in fragmented and broken sentences which is only amplified by a very gargled voice.

Edited by Otts486

5 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Again I don't see that as intimidating, they're just the same entombed we've been killing only bigger with weapons in them.

That comes down to a matter of perspective. It basically goes down to which zombie creeps you out more. 

1 minute ago, Otts486 said:

I mean while the sprite work and animation, imo aside from maybe the one using the "rotten claw" none of these really give off that creepy uncanny vibe that the risen do. They're just kind of generic. Generic skeleton warrior, generic gargoyle, generic centaur, generic hellhound etc. They're all monsters but they don't creep me creep out as much because they look like and move like generic monsters I can find most anywhere. I'm desensitized to it in a sense. The risen, again, look human-ish but they're not and they move in ways that mimic humans but is still not quite the same which again gives it a very uncanny vibe to it. The sounds they make are also bone-chilling(at least to me anyway) also the fact that some risen are able to speak adds so much more to the creepy factor. It puts into your head that these things are in fact reanimated corpses and have some form of sentience which adds a layer of pity as well as creepiness cause of how speak in fragmented and broken sentences which is only amplified by a very gargled voice.

How are risen not generic? By comparison, how often do you see detailed spiders in turn based strategy? Look at how unnaturally the Gorgon shimmy itself as it casts a spell.

Risen use the same skeleton as human units, they don't move in any unique way. Just a generic zombie voice, compared to the strange cry of SS entombed, bone crackling of Wights, and screech of a Gargoyle.

Very few risen speak and outside of the Deadlords in the DLC, they're never played for pity. The Grimleal themselves, despite being fully human, are also depicted as 100% detestable, thus eliminating the need for monsters anyhow. Contrast this with Grado which is depicted sympathetically.

2 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

How are risen not generic? By comparison, how often do you see detailed spiders in turn based strategy? Look at how unnaturally the Gorgon shimmy itself as it casts a spell.

Risen use the same skeleton as human units, they don't move in any unique way. Just a generic zombie voice, compared to the strange cry of SS entombed, bone crackling of Wights, and screech of a Gargoyle.

Very few risen speak and outside of the Deadlords in the DLC, they're never played for pity. The Grimleal themselves, despite being fully human, are also depicted as 100% detestable, thus eliminating the need for monsters anyhow. Contrast this with Grado which is depicted sympathetically.

I suppose that’s fair. I just find risen to be more uncanny in how they’re presented but like you and omega says it’s all a matter of personal preference 

6 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

It is a bit interesting that the final battle had no Risen in that battle, but Grimleal. 

Oh wow those are grimleal not Risen on Grima's back? Colour me surprised. Would make a lot more sense to me if those were risen, I just naturally assumed they were.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Never have heard this criticism specifically about this specific game.

By final act, I assume you mean post-siblings second reunion.

Hide contents

If it seems rushed to you, I think part of the blame belongs to the fact that isn't much left on the villain side.

Vigarde is doubly dead, Duessel betrayed, Selena died a Camus, Glen got backstabbed, Valter and Caellach filled their stomaches with sand. 

Those who remain are Orson, who isn't interested in antagonizing and dies one chapter later. Lyon & Formortiis, the good villain who remains. And Riev, who is pretty generic and underdeveloped.

The absence of surviving villains is related to the fact that by the second reunion, Grado has been conquered and its army has been smashed to appropriately renamed Remnants. There isn't a whole lot of enemy to do battle with at this point.

And despite the Demon King being the lord of all monsters, he never uses them for an offensive at this point. Darkling Woods was you invading his turf and Neleras Peak has him using the Gorgons as a cover for his flight. And this despite four of the Sacred Stones being broken now and his power is enough to resurrect even without breaking the fifth and final stone.

Why, outside of the Phantom Ship and Landing at Taizel on Ephraim's route, never are monsters used as a conscious tool of Riev or Lyon/DK against the heroes. In the few remaining instances of monsters, they just stumble on the heroes out of their natural instinct.

As good as Lyon is, his appearance and roll in the story actually comes out of nowhere and gets thrust into importance very quickly. They do the set up Lyon as a character via flashback, but his evolvement as a villain and the demon king isn't built up at all (he shows up and warps away once or twice but that's basically nothing). It's like they jump from step 1 to step 3 of his character arc with no step 2 (a lot of people like step 3 enough to forgive this though). This is especially worse in Erika's route where Ephraim defeats the empire off screen and dumps all this info on us suddenly. It's Knoll that reveals it all in Ephraim's route too, but hearing it all third hand in Erika's route makes it feel like a lot more happened off screen that the player just wasn't privy to see.

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

As good as Lyon is, his appearance and roll in the story actually comes out of nowhere and gets thrust into importance very quickly. They do the set up Lyon as a character via flashback, but his evolvement as a villain and the demon king isn't built up at all (he shows up and warps away once or twice but that's basically nothing).

In a sense, there is foreshadowing because he is always besides Vigarde. The problem though is that Lyon himself says nothing this entire time. That he says nothing makes sense, he says everything he needs to through Vigarde, and wants everyone to believe Vigarde is behind all the orders. Nonetheless, by saying nothing, Lyon doesn't offer more obvious foreshadowing that something is up with him. Who would/has actually connect(ed) the dots if they didn't know that Lyon was always there, but never spoke?

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

This is especially worse in Erika's route where Ephraim defeats the empire off screen and dumps all this info on us suddenly. It's Knoll that reveals it all in Ephraim's route too, but hearing it all third hand in Erika's route makes it feel like a lot more happened off screen that the player just wasn't privy to see.

It is almost intentional here I think though.

Eirika's route doesn't emphasize Lyon as a villain, in her route he pretty much a victim. The apocalyptic earthquake to come is never mentioned once, and this I think is because they chose to emphasize the friendship and love between Eiri and Lyon and his suffering. How he came to suffer is irrelevant, since Eirika just loves him regardless of how it came to be. The friendship is the most important thing, Lyon's corruption has nothing to do with the friendship- barring the part the game forgets where he thought E & E would do nothing to help after the earthquake, and that he would have to handle it alone.

On the other hand, Ephraim's route casts Lyon as a "rational" villain, with little talk of his suffering. Being an active agent of evil, the reasons of why he turned evil matter, for they flesh out the villainy. Ephraim is also a man, and thus serious geopolitical topics like the earthquake and Grado's manipulation, are something he a cold and logical male, unlike a little emotional girl not even a woman, can understand, never mind all Ephraim likes is stabbing people and plowing ahead. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In a sense, there is foreshadowing because he is always besides Vigarde. The problem though is that Lyon himself says nothing this entire time. That he says nothing makes sense, he says everything he needs to through Vigarde, and wants everyone to believe Vigarde is behind all the orders. Nonetheless, by saying nothing, Lyon doesn't offer more obvious foreshadowing that something is up with him. Who would/has actually connect(ed) the dots if they didn't know that Lyon was always there, but never spoke?

It is almost intentional here I think though.

Eirika's route doesn't emphasize Lyon as a villain, in her route he pretty much a victim. The apocalyptic earthquake to come is never mentioned once, and this I think is because they chose to emphasize the friendship and love between Eiri and Lyon and his suffering. How he came to suffer is irrelevant, since Eirika just loves him regardless of how it came to be. The friendship is the most important thing, Lyon's corruption has nothing to do with the friendship- barring the part the game forgets where he thought E & E would do nothing to help after the earthquake, and that he would have to handle it alone.

On the other hand, Ephraim's route casts Lyon as a "rational" villain, with little talk of his suffering. Being an active agent of evil, the reasons of why he turned evil matter, for they flesh out the villainy. Ephraim is also a man, and thus serious geopolitical topics like the earthquake and Grado's manipulation, are something he a cold and logical male, unlike a little emotional girl not even a woman, can understand, never mind all Ephraim likes is stabbing people and plowing ahead. 

I have no problems with how Lyon is actually portrayed in Erika's route when he eventually shows up, is the fact that when he does show up everything happens at once and it's made even worse in Erika's route because we're getting the information third hand. This is all suddenly dropped on the player, which works to a certain extent with how Erikia further reacts, but it's still a problem in my eyes that the story suddenly hits into full gear right away. We learn Lyon is evil in one chapter and in the very next chapter (or maybe chapter after next, can't remember if Orson's chapter is in between) we're fighting him as a boss.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

We learn Lyon is evil in one chapter and in the very next chapter (or maybe chapter after next, can't remember if Orson's chapter is in between) we're fighting him as a boss.

Orson is in between. And as a route difference, I believe Lyon on Ephraim's route warns Orson the twins are coming to ruin his day, while Riev does it on Eirika's. Done to emphasize the divide of the Lyon portrayals.

I do prefer Ephlyon over Eirlyon as an aside. And I do see your point. The need for a gradual warm up of Lyon in the villain role. Which could as I suggested before be resolved if he actually spoke, even if just to himself after the Gemstones are dismissed, during the many scenes in Grado Keep.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:47 AM, Slumber said:

Fernand's ideals aren't only that "Royalty are the ones who can rule". Fernand strictly stands for classism, where nobility uses and abuses common workers, ideals that Alm completely opposes and themes the game never tries to pass off as legitimate. Fernand(And Berkut) doesn't stand for the idea that the royalty and nobility should rule because they're fit to, he stands for the idea that they should rule because they're born and deserve to.

For what it's worth, the early themes of "Anyone can be great" and "Everyone should be treated equally, regardless of their role in society" aren't proven wrong by Alm being royalty. Those themes still stand true throughout the game, and are things Alm still strives to prove, even after finding out he's the prince of Rigel. Even if Alm can't drive these themes home, characters like Tobin and Gray certainly can, and both rise to be two of the greatest knights in the Valentian Kingdom once Alm becomes king.

The only theme that kind of gets spat on is the idea that even commoners can rule, which is a theme that Clive introduces, and not one that Alm really sought to prove himself.

I know I'm late but I'm quoting this because it's true, Despite Alm being royalty he has different in a way from every Noble in the game in which he has everything to gain, when everyone else (including Clive surprisingly) has everything to lose. Despite his humble start Alm had and all of his friends the ability to rise to top. I still don't think Alm contradicts the games theme, as despite what many think the other commoners don't get shafted at the end (Even forsyth becomes a knight in the end) and the themes of the game evolves into destiny and responsibility.

Just imagine the ending of the game if we were still on the old news of Commoners Vs. Nobility during the final arc of the game against Duma *Shudders*

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Orson is in between. And as a route difference, I believe Lyon on Ephraim's route warns Orson the twins are coming to ruin his day, while Riev does it on Eirika's. Done to emphasize the divide of the Lyon portrayals.

I do prefer Ephlyon over Eirlyon as an aside. And I do see your point. The need for a gradual warm up of Lyon in the villain role. Which could as I suggested before be resolved if he actually spoke, even if just to himself after the Gemstones are dismissed, during the many scenes in Grado Keep.

I'd just increase the number of chapters overall and add more encounters building up Lyon. I think in terms of gameplay Sacred Stones feels too short too, at least on a single playthrough. It has enough content for a full game yet for some reason they didn't do the obvious thing and make both routes playable at once. Gaiden was smart enough to do that and it was released on the NES. A longer game would also assist the gameplay. They have branching classess but a comparatively tiny pool of characters to experiment with. I think most notably there's only a single character you can use the Orion's Bolt on

Edited by Jotari

Getting somewhat back on topic, I just had a thought. What if even the concept of Awakening three arcs being so rushed is actually on purpose too? 

After all, in the original timeline, many things and events happened much farther into the future, with Lucina having been born and had trained with her father before he dies and Grima is revived. But in the new timeline, things are happening much faster. So are the three arcs being so rushed also a result of the butterfly effect?

24 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Getting somewhat back on topic, I just had a thought. What if even the concept of Awakening three arcs being so rushed is actually on purpose too? 

After all, in the original timeline, many things and events happened much farther into the future, with Lucina having been born and had trained with her father before he dies and Grima is revived. But in the new timeline, things are happening much faster. So are the three arcs being so rushed also a result of the butterfly effect?

You realize that when people say that Awakening has bad pacing and that the last two arcs feel rushed, they don't mean that they happen too quickly within the context of the narrative, right? Right?

And even if this was the case, rushing a story on purpose as opposed to on accident doesn't mean it makes it any better. The end result would be exactly the same, and in both scenarios we have two very underdeveloped arcs of the game.

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

You realize that when people say that Awakening has bad pacing and that the last two arcs feel rushed, they don't mean that they happen too quickly within the context of the narrative, right? Right?

And even if this was the case, rushing a story on purpose as opposed to on accident doesn't mean it makes it any better. The end result would be exactly the same, and in both scenarios we have two very underdeveloped arcs of the game.

It was actually a silly idea I just felt like giving to steer stuff back on topic. XP

But I do honestly think that they made this with the desire of having the butterfly effect happen where events happen faster than they were meant to. Perhaps they rushed too much. 

One thing I feel is the absolute silliest is the fact that despite there having been a 2 year time skip, characters like Donnel, Ricken, and Lissa look the exact same. I think 2 years oughta actually have had an effect on them.

41 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I guess its possible but its still damaging to the storytelling. The war with Plegia ends without Plegia or Ferox really being explored as countries and Valm gets defeated that we know almost nothing about the continent aside from that Walhard conquered it. Because of this and the speed by which the bad guys fall ensure that none of these epic wars have any weight to them. 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I guess its possible but its still damaging to the storytelling. The war with Plegia ends without Plegia or Ferox really being explored as countries and Valm gets defeated that we know almost nothing about the continent aside from that Walhard conquered it. Because of this and the speed by which the bad guys fall ensure that none of these epic wars have any weight to them. 

In all honesty, isn't that exactly the case? The Plegian War, the Valmese War, both of these wars were just wars, but they were all meant to be paltry compared to the looming threat of Grima. Grima wasn't just a continental threat, he was a global threat. He destroys the world in the future ultimately.

You are fighting a war, but you are ultimately not realizing the threat that is behind the scenes that grow ever stronger. ou end the war so that you can ultimately handle the threat that is really coming.

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

In all honesty, isn't that exactly the case? The Plegian War, the Valmese War, both of these wars were just wars, but they were all meant to be paltry compared to the looming threat of Grima. Grima wasn't just a continental threat, he was a global threat. He destroys the world in the future ultimately.

You are fighting a war, but you are ultimately not realizing the threat that is behind the scenes that grow ever stronger. ou end the war so that you can ultimately handle the threat that is really coming.

That's the case with almost every Fire Emblem game yet none of the other wars in the series feel as disposable as the conflicts in Ylisse. Its not like they didn't have anything to work with. In Valm they fight a man who almost single handily conquered a continent and yet they are done in about five chapters.

27 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It was actually a silly idea I just felt like giving to steer stuff back on topic. XP

But I do honestly think that they made this with the desire of having the butterfly effect happen where events happen faster than they were meant to. Perhaps they rushed too much. 

One thing I feel is the absolute silliest is the fact that despite there having been a 2 year time skip, characters like Donnel, Ricken, and Lissa look the exact same. I think 2 years oughta actually have had an effect on them.

I think it's more likely that they just spent the most time writing for the Plegia arc, and didn't give themselves enough time to wrap everything up before realizing that the Valm arc wasn't really going anywhere, leading to a truncated Grimleal arc. I feel like them acknowledging that they needed to course-correct for the narrative of Fates(Of course this ended up being a case of over-correction) that it wasn't really intentional for it to happen the way it did.

But yeah, the characters not really aging is a bit of a silly issue. Though for Ricken, it probably would have been too much work. You could probably have just added some height and definition to Donnel and Lissa's portraits, but Ricken needed some more work.

Though, I feel like adjusting their portraits would have brought attention to the fact that they're all kids, which you probably want to avoid in a game where full grown adults confess love to them.

Edited by Slumber

18 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That's the case with almost every Fire Emblem game yet none of the other wars in the series feel as disposable as the conflicts in Ylisse. Its not like they didn't have anything to work with. In Valm they fight a man who almost single handily conquered a continent and yet they are done in about five chapters.

Honestly, I think the only war you can say was rather poorly handled much more is the Valm arc, as I've heard many agree that the Plegian arc was handled well enough at the very least. However, one flaw in your argument is that those threats are not the same threat like this one. Because this threat actually has something that happens if you don't meet it and stop it, in that there's a future that tells us the world will be destroyed. 

14 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I think it's more likely that they just spent the most time writing for the Plegia arc, and didn't give themselves enough time to wrap everything up before realizing that the Valm arc wasn't really going anywhere, leading to a truncated Grimleal arc. I feel like them acknowledging that they needed to course-correct for the narrative of Fates(Of course this ended up being a case of over-correction) that it wasn't really intentional for it to happen the way it did.

But yeah, the characters not really aging is a bit of a silly issue. Though for Ricken, it probably would have been too much work. You could probably have just added some height and definition to Donnel and Lissa's portraits, but Ricken needed some more work.

Though, I feel like adjusting their portraits would have brought attention to the fact that they're all kids, which you probably want to avoid in a game where full grown adults confess love to them.

I wouldn't say that, really. It's more they needed to bring in the Valentia reference in, but still needed to stick to the main plot threat of the future kids coming in, so they decided to mix the two in together. Even I admit that the Valm arc is the weakest of the three arcs and needed some better handle on it.

The game has various characters point out that they are kids already. Ricken even being forced to sit out at first because he's a kid back at chapter 5 that he had to sneak in himself. Speaking of portraits, if they had done that more, they would have actually made Ruger have a portrait that made him resemble Chrom, since apparently story-wise, he's supposed to apparently resemble Chrom enough to fool people.

A bunch of games do have "filler" arcs. PoR has its Begnion stuff, when the main conflict is vs. Ashnard, RD has Part 2, Binding has the Western Isles (I like the possibly scrapped idea Roy was to become its king). Mystery, well Anri's Way does have a point- it helps Marth find out how to defeat Hardin- but it is a break from the main battle with Hardin's Archanea. PoR's Begnion arc however did have a point by this measure- getting Begnion on Elincia's side so she stood a realistic chance of defeating Daein. Thus, I think it is safe to call Anri's Way filler.

Not sure about other games having filler arcs, although I've heard Seliph's fight in Southern Thracia is kinda unnecessary when the main foe is Grannvale. One might be able to argue Eirika's route is filler, since she really accomplishes nothing during her independent journey. She saves Carcino from revolt, but otherwise fails in her original objective to go to Rausten, and failed in Innes's objective to save Jehanna's SS.

Shadow Dragon has no filler arc I think. Mostly because the game has very weak arcs, if any. The liberation of Aurelis, of Pales, of Altea, and then the rest makes for logical break points, but the sense of being encapsulated in something is minimalistic beyond the one or two narration music changeover(s), like the chosen narrative direction.

Blazing I don't see having filler arcs either, well beyond :Lyn: Mode, which is mostly a tutorial. You're fighting the Black Fang on a constant basis through E&H Modes.

If we were going to have Valm, or some form of filler arc, then I'd just wish they'd kept it on the Ylissean continent.

I don't know how true it is that the Valm arc exists solely to include Valentia, but if you tossed Walhart the pretty empty northeast of Ylisse, making the continent into a four-country continent, it wouldn't be so bad. You could even have him appear in the Plegia War, obviously hiding his full conquering ambitions and draconian atheist humanism, but still there and actively helping.

There probably wouldn't be room to fit Chon'sin, but we wouldn't need them anymore. Chrom would be a direct victim of Walhart's, he wouldn't need someone to save or to tell him about Valm, he'd know it already and be trying to save his own kingdom. And I don't think Chon'sin, being so underdeveloped, would be missed by many.

Since we're staying on the continent shared by Plegia, there would be more feasible opportunities to have the Grimleal doing stuff in the background. While the anti-Grima forces slit each others' throats, Plegia watches on with a twisted smile. That is what they do as is, but keeping things on one continent could allow this to be portrayed a little more overtly. PoR did a lot with its frequent scene swaps to Ashnard far away, and so did SS with Grado, just two or three of these would've helped.

38 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

but still needed to stick to the main plot threat of the future kids coming in, so they decided to mix the two in together.

?

Only five of the child paralogues happen on Valm turf if I count them right. And I don't think there is anything that ties the children directly to the continent. Just as I think one could abolish the Mila Tree and move Tiki to Mount Prism, I'm sure the same can be done with the Wyvern Valley. If we stick with just one continent, the map can be zoomed more, "creating" more space that way.

And I think one can have the post-Plegia time lapse without the Valm arc as is.

As for character aging, this might have been planned as FE's swan song, but this last supper before the possible lethal injection didn't have a limitless budget. Aging redraws would've been a luxury beyond FE's reach. They did it with Marth once before yes, but that was only one profile, they didn't bother for anyone else in the SD Prologue. After Awakening? Well, now FE likely has the resources that, IS willing, they could do aging pics.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

?

Only five of the child paralogues happen on Valm turf if I count them right. And I don't think there is anything that ties the children directly to the continent. Just as I think one could abolish the Mila Tree and move Tiki to Mount Prism, I'm sure the same can be done with the Wyvern Valley. If we stick with just one continent, the map can be zoomed more, "creating" more space that way.

I meant in regards to the whole future thing being revealed, where Lucina is revealed to be from the future and the future kids only showing up during the Valm arc. They don't have to be in Valm strictly, but it's only during the Valm arc they start appearing. 

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A bunch of games do have "filler" arcs. PoR has its Begnion stuff, when the main conflict is vs. Ashnard, RD has Part 2, Binding has the Western Isles (I like the possibly scrapped idea Roy was to become its king). Mystery, well Anri's Way does have a point- it helps Marth find out how to defeat Hardin- but it is a break from the main battle with Hardin's Archanea. PoR's Begnion arc however did have a point by this measure- getting Begnion on Elincia's side so she stood a realistic chance of defeating Daein. Thus, I think it is safe to call Anri's Way filler.

Or RD's Part 2 is a filler.