If Assist Trophies Were Ever Made DLC Characters

Gregster101

We all know that Assist Trophies are the end to be all deconfirmation for characters that aren't going to be playable, but...if on the very off chance we do get assist trophies as DLC characters, who would you want? These are the characters I would personally promote:

5c22a0652b1e4_AssisttoFighterFILLED.thumb.png.1c8d82c4d6d057a5512a4b3f50a9f93a.png

Waluigi: Let me get this out of the way, I do legitimately like Waluigi as a character, but not to the point where I would harass Sakurai over him being an Assist Trophy. I've always liked Waluigi since his introduction in Mario Tennis, and I do love the idea of him being a playable character in Smash even though he is just another Mario character.

Shadow: Shadow is the only Assist Trophy who I actively question isn't playable. If Ryu could have Ken as an Echo Fighter and Simon could have Richter as an Echo Fighter, what honestly stopped Shadow from being promoted to an Echo Fighter of Sonic? Especially since in his debut game, Sonic Adventure 2, he's quite literally a Sonic Echo Fighter. The one benefit to Shadow being DLC is that he would have a unique moveset (even though I would be just fine with Shadow as an Echo of Sonic with just his recovery being a teleport like Mewtwo, but whatever).

Isaac: I've only played a little bit of the first Golden Sun game, so I don't really have any connection with Isaac. With that being said, I would promote him to a playable character just to throw his fans a bone. Nothing more, nothing less.

Skull Kid: Honestly it kind of hurt seeing Skull Kid deconfirmed on the website right after the Assist Trophy massacre in the final Smash Direct. I would promote Skull Kid for one simple reason; we're long overdue for a new Zelda character. Despite Zelda being one of Nintendo's core franchises (being part of the Big 3 with Mario and Pokémon), we haven't gotten a new unique Zelda character since Melee. I know we got Toon Link in Brawl, but he is a semi-clone and pretty much the same concept as Young Link. I honestly do think Zelda is deserving of a new character at this point, which is why I'm going with Skull Kid, since it would be nice to have a Zelda character who isn't part of the Triforce Trio.

Shovel Knight: Shovel Knight was my most wanted character besides King K. Rool, but I didn't expect him to actually be in the game, so I was very surprised to see him as an Assist Trophy. With that being said, I am not angry about him being an Assist Trophy. I understand that Shovel Knight even being in the game at all is a miracle in and of itself considering he is a small western-created Indie character. I'd still promote him anyway, but know that I'm not angry over it.

Honorable mentions go to Alucard, Black Knight, Lyn, Zero, Midna, and Krystal.

Honestly there are a lot of Assist Trophies I would promote to playable characters if I could, but these are just the ones that come to mind. Do I actually expect Assist Trophies to be made playable as DLC? Absolutely not, it's extremely unlikely. Would I love it if Assist Trophies were made playable as DLC? Totally.

What about you guys, what Assist Trophies would you promote if given the chance? Here's a template

5c22a46f86ac6_AssisttoFighterTemplate.thumb.png.e79fa4b07cdb67547f86b80851720c31.png

Edited by Gregster101

Alucard: Ever since I watched Castlevania the Netflix original show, I have developed a liking for the characters, in particular, Alucard, and now I just want more of Castlevania, also the show is so dope, one of my personal favorite ones, and how Alucard does things in the show is just so cool to me.

Ghirahim: You know, the dude who does really weird, but some may find fabulous or cool, dances and also likes to show off his tongue at times. Haven't played a whole lot of Skyward Sword but from the playthroughs I've seen of the games he's in, I found him to be cool. Boss fights gave me some headaches for sure.

Knuckles: I may not be much of a Sonic person, but I think he's cool and all. I also think a wall climber is a cool idea. Gliding would be an interesting idea, but we all know what made Brawl so broken, and gliding was one of those small things removed from the series

Krystal: I wish we could finally have a Star Fox character that didn't have such similar specials, well Wolf was rather different but I hope you get the point. Starting to get interested in the Star Fox series so that's another thing.

Magnus: Loved Kid Icarus Uprising, the story, but especially the characters, as they all were cool, and generally funny as hell. Magnus was a character I wished we saw more of though, he was pretty cool when you saw him, not sure if he would count as a sword or club user, considering what the game calls it and what it looks like

Rikki: Love, love Xenoblade characters, and the series in general, and I always loved the Nopon race, and Rikki is just a treasure among those characters. Especially since he is one of the funnier characters in the game.

4 minutes ago, Giant Horseman said:

Krystal: I wish we could finally have a Star Fox character that didn't have such similar specials, well Wolf was rather different but I hope you get the point. Starting to get interested in the Star Fox series so that's another thing.

Shoot, forgot to add Krystal to my Honorable Mentions XP

If you want any of these AT's to be playable, then you more than likely have to wait for the next game.

Anyway, I'm going for Skull Kid, on condition his AT gets replaced by something else (because having your controls reversed halfway through a match halfway though a match is annoying).

Also, I don't see why Alucard is an AT. he pretty much has a full moveset already, one that I was on the receiving end of just a few hours ago.

24 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

If you want any of these AT's to be playable, then you more than likely have to wait for the next game.

Anyway, I'm going for Skull Kid, on condition his AT gets replaced by something else (because having your controls reversed halfway through a match halfway though a match is annoying).

Also, I don't see why Alucard is an AT. he pretty much has a full moveset already, one that I was on the receiving end of just a few hours ago.

I know, I just figured I do this for fun

1 hour ago, Giant Horseman said:

Knuckles: I may not be much of a Sonic person, but I think he's cool and all. I also think a wall climber is a cool idea. Gliding would be an interesting idea, but we all know what made Brawl so broken, and gliding was one of those small things removed from the series

If you want some advice on how to address this from a Sonic fan, only allow him to glide one way. In Sonic games where he's playable, he's typically able to change the direction of his glide and he can NEVER gain height with it unless gliding over an air current that pushes him upwards. The glide itself is an attack whilst in motion so you could have it purposed as such. I'm sure that Sakurai's team could do something with keeping Knuckles' trademark gliding in as one of his abilities without it being made too hazardous to gameplay.

My choices are easy. Pokeball Pokemon count too, right?

- Ghirahim

- Black Knight

- Keldeo

- Shadow

- Krystal

I've never played Star Fox, but Krystal is so pretty. I don't play Sonic either, but I know enough about Shadow to think he's cool.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My choices are easy. Pokeball Pokemon count too, right?

- Ghirahim

- Black Knight

- Keldeo

- Shadow

- Krystal

I've never played Star Fox, but Krystal is so pretty. I don't play Sonic either, but I know enough about Shadow to think he's cool.

I gueee if anyone really wants to, they could do five Poke Balls as well

Saki...oh wait, he's not an assist trophy anymore :(

I agree with the OP that it's a bit strange Shadow didn't get into the game. He would have been a relatively easy and popular character to implement.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I agree with the OP that it's a bit strange Shadow didn't get into the game. He would have been a relatively easy and popular character to implement.

Yeah, if Ken could get in as Ryu's echo, I don't see why Shadow couldn't as Sonic's. Maybe Sega got mean and said no or something.

55 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I gueee if anyone really wants to, they could do five Poke Balls as well

Nobody would add that many Pokemon newcomers though, I think, but yeah.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If there was a second Sonic representative, wouldn't it be Tails, since he's the Luigi to Sonic's Mario?

11 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

If there was a second Sonic representative, wouldn't it be Tails, since he's the Luigi to Sonic's Mario?

Maybe, but Shadow as an echo of Sonic would be much easier to implement considering he can do damn near everything Sonic can do. Tails differs too much from Sonic to be an Echo, though I guess they could give him the Isabelle treatment

11 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Tails differs too much from Sonic to be an Echo, though I guess they could give him the Isabelle treatment

Why would he have to be an Echo Fighter? Wouldn't you prefer the second Sonic rep to an actual character rather than a clone of an existing one?

14 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Why would he have to be an Echo Fighter? Wouldn't you prefer the second Sonic rep to an actual character rather than a clone of an existing one?

I mean, I don't care either way if we had Shadow as an Echo Fighter or Tails as a unique character (or in a perfect world, both) as the second Sonic character in Smash, I'm just saying that of all the ATs in Ultimate, Shadow is the only one who I actively question isn't playable considering how easy of an echo he would be for Sonic. Not to mention, since he said that people may have seen Chrom and Dark Samus coming when they were revealed in the August Smash Direct, he had to have been aware of people speculating over Shadow since E3.

• Zero: I know this guy already appears in another crossover fighting series and that his array of abilities will probably overshadow Mega Man as a character, but c'mon. Dude's iconic. Would also like to have a "What am I fighting for!?" taunt.
  • Shovel Knight
  • Krystal: I didn't think Nintendo would ever reference Starfox Adventures again, so them going with her staff abilities is honestly cool. I think Star Fox has more than enough non-echo playable characters now that Wolf is back, but she would be fun to play as.
  • Midna
  • Isaac

28 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Not to mention, since he said that people may have seen Chrom and Dark Samus coming when they were revealed in the August Smash Direct, he had to have been aware of people speculating over Shadow since E3.

I'm pretty sure the base roster was finalised long before E3, meaning that any speculation was irrelevant. Also, I doubt that Shadow has the kind of fanbase that Dark Samus Chrom, K. Rool, Ridley and even Simon have behind them. Hell, even Waluigi probably has a bigger fanbase than Shadow does!

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, if Ken could get in as Ryu's echo, I don't see why Shadow couldn't as Sonic's. Maybe Sega got mean and said no or something.

Nobody would add that many Pokemon newcomers though, I think, but yeah.

Well he's in as an assist trophy, so I doubt Sega had any opinions against his inclusion.

minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm pretty sure the base roster was finalised long before E3, meaning that any speculation was irrelevant. Also, I doubt that Shadow has the kind of fanbase that Dark Samus Chrom, K. Rool, Ridley and even Simon have behind them. Hell, even Waluigi probably has a bigger fanbase than Shadow does!

Shadow probably does have a bigger fanbase than Richter though.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Here’s the thing tho. Echo Fighters don’t take nearly as much time to create as a completely new character made from scratch. They’re bonus additions at the end of the day. Seeing as how they already had a model for Shadow from Smash 4 (like with Dark Samus and Chrom), it likely wouldn’t have been that hard or taken that long to add Shadow as an Echo Fighter of Sonic.

Zero, Tiki, Waluigi, Isaac, and Alucard.

Zero can have a very interesting moveset and is just a character I've always wanted to play as in Smash. He'd have both Megaman X and Megaman Zero costumes. His moveset would mainly draw from the Zero games.

Tiki has had many appearances in FE and could have a completely unique moveset in being a pure dragon. I can only imagine her sharing Corrin's back air since the two are fundamentally different in their dragon abilities. I imagine her mechanics taking inspiration from Mystery of the Emblem where dragonstones acted as transformation items that worked for a set amount of turns, a bit like how Laguz worked later on. She's significantly more power in her dragon form. Her human form would draw some inspiration from Warriors for a moveset.

Waluigi is the only overall-wearer missing from Smash now. He could represent the party and sport games with his moveset, and he could perhaps use some moves that reflect his cheating personality. For example, he could have a move where he makes opponents trip and can have a move where he pulls out a bob-bomb and throw it. I imagine his Final Smash would either be something like Luigi's from Brawl but maybe with the dancing he used in that dancing game where he's the main antagonist. That or it could be something sports related.

I've played Super Smash Flash 2 as Isaac, and I love using him in that game. I'm also aware that a lot of people want him in the game. Him getting in would also mean he would stop being the annoying assist trophy that he is now, which is another plus.

Alucard. A friend told me that Alucard could have a really interesting moveset if he got in, and I trust him.

I would have said Shadow, but I feel he doesn't really need to be a character. Him being a Sonic echo would add less to the game than his current unique properties as an assist trophy. I'd hope devs would take more inspiration from his appearances in 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Battle, his boss fights in SA2 (where he does use Chaos Spear), and perhaps any of the items gained in SA2. Him being a Sonic that's just faster but weaker would hurt my soul (I'm pretty sure he's canonically faster. I think. Along with Eggman and Metal Sonic). 

Edited by Arcphoenix

Knuckles: The OG rival of Sonic and the things he already does as an AT looks like it could be made a viable moveset.

Alucard: Honestly never played SOTN and I really only know him for his secret identity in AoS but he seems like a cool dude to play as a third castlevania rep in Smash.

Zero: Just as iconic to the Megaman series as classic Megaman. I have little doubt that if Megaman were to ever get a second non-echo rep it would be this guy.

Tiki: There are other FE characters I would rather have as newcomers but out of the three FE Assist Trophies would like to see Tiki playable.

Shovel Knight: Glad to see him in the game at all but seeing him playable would make me ecstatic.

Personally I'd be completely fine if none of the assist trophies got upgraded to full fighters, at least not in Ultimate. For the next game though, I'm all for it. But since you took the time to make a template here's what my choices would be. I must admit though, picking just 5 was tough.

5c23a455acbd8_SmashUltimateATDLC.thumb.jpg.18030ef01519993194e3c77f4d8843de.jpg

• Alucard: More Castlevaina love is always appreciated.
  • Shovel Knight: Phenomenal game that deserves all the recognition it can get.
  • Lyn: One of my favorite Fire Emblem characters ever, of course I'd want her.
  • Isaac: Recently started playing Golden Sun again and I can see why some people want him so bad.
  • Waluigi: As much as I hate all the harassing surrounding this character, I still think he'd be a fun addition.

Isaac, I've wanted him since forever so that's an easy first pick.

Lyn because she's one of my favourite FE lords and her not being playable really feels like a miss.

Skull Kid because Zelda needs more unique characters and he's my favourite of the AT characters for the series.

Alucard, love Castlevania and though I haven't played SOTN I'd love him playable.

Black Knight because bias, but if I had to pick as an unbiased director, I'd pick Shadow to give Sonic a second rep, or Takamaru because he seems cool.