Which game would you eliminate from existence/series canon?

indigoasis

There are quite a few games in the series at this point, and another one is on the way (as of this topic being made), but if you had the opportunity to remove one of the games from existence, or at the very least the series canon, which game would you eliminate? To make things a bit harder, Awakening and Fates aren't allowed (they get enough flak as it is), but anything pre-FE13 is fair game, as well as Echoes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awakening... Maybe Fates. But I liked Awakening less.

It did save the series. But I'd rather have had a better game save the series instead. Yes, I'm aware this also means I would be making Frederick non-existent. But you always have to pay a price for something, you know.

EDIT: Oh, you said Awakening and Fates aren't allowed. Personally, I don't feel that's fair. But your thread. I'm not sure which game I'd pick then. Maybe FE7 since I didn't like it.

Edited by Anacybele

Hmm... Difficult pick...

I'm just gonna go with the smart option and say the original Gaiden. Never had any level of nostalgia for it and the one time I did give it a chance, I found it incredibly clunky with little offered in the way of direction. At least with Echoes the shortcomings it had are adressed.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Awakening... Maybe Fates. But I liked Awakening less.

It did save the series. But I'd rather have had a better game save the series instead. Yes, I'm aware this also means I would be making Frederick non-existent. But you always have to pay a price for something, you know.

They said besides those games, but for the record I disagree.

How about none of them because it's foolish to think that erasing the past will improve anything.

If it hadn't been for failures such as Fire Emblem Gaiden's awful map design, the BS end-game requirements in Binding Blade, or the lack of the more modern features in Shadow Dragon, IS would've never learned from those mistakes and might've implemented them in a worse form later down the line, and they wouldn't have made Valentia a compelling world to go back to.

Or let's take Fates' bad story writing.  What if that never happened?  I doubt it'd be all sunshine and rainbows.  They could've instead made something more "ambitious" - something with a worse story, more offensive moments, and with more watered-down tropes for characters like Setsuna, and they might've made something that had to be censored even more and that delved deeper into the nonsensical and uncomfortable fanservice to the point where it's tacky.  I feel like no matter what, that's the direction the game immediately after Awakening was gonna take, so it's better that it was as bad as it is and they learn from their mistakes.  Maybe they won't, but I gotta figure it'll be a "peaks and valleys" situation.

If I had a gun to my head and had to choose a game, I'd say Archanea Saga without skipping a beat.  That game added pretty much nothing for the series as a whole, it was merely a novelty that never made it anywhere outside of Japan.  Very few people would miss it, and history would've barely changed with its absence.

If I can't pick Fates, which is a bummer, I'd easily say Gaiden. The game was clunky as all hell.Close runner up is FE12. I love New Mystery, and the cast (I dont hate Kris) but perhaps they could have completely left those untouched and done a full remake with the level of Echoes' attention to detail.

None. And that's including Awakening and Fates. Every game in the series is someone's favorite and I feel the idea of erasing one of them from existence is rather selfish.

Just now, Florete said:

Metroid: Other M.

Oh, this is General FE? Uh...None. There barely is a "series canon" in the first place, so what would be the point?

This. Especially the first part.

I think most should recognize that every game in the series offered something and the series wouldn't be better to completely erase them. Even Fates contributed some great gameplay elements, even if the story was botched.

Each game I guess has made important contributions to FE. 

But, if I had to make a judgement call. Perhaps it'd be best to look at the sum total of unique and arguably good narrative and or gameplay contributions of a given game, and use these as the criterion for elimination. In which case, I'd think one of the GBA FEs might be eliminated.

Why? Because GBA FE was intended to be a return to simplicity after Jugdrali esotericism, that is regression for the franchise. FE8 would perhaps be the most eradicable, since it neither brought the franchise to portables like FE6, nor brought it aboard like FE7. The most it did was branching promotions and the revival of some Gaiden elements.

Even Shadow Dragon arguably has contributed more than SS. Since SD did bring forging into its current form, and introduced Class Swap.

SoV's contributions are presently unknown, it will require at least 3H, and perhaps another game or two in order for its impact to be properly analyzed.

Perhaps RD too, although a necessary sequel to PoR, didn't invent too much that was new and lasting, and thus makes it liable for elimination.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

EDIT: Oh, you said Awakening and Fates aren't allowed. Personally, I don't feel that's fair. But your thread. I'm not sure which game I'd pick then. Maybe FE7 since I didn't like it.

No, it's precisely because there are many people that would pick Awakening and Fates that they were removed. They get too much hate as it is.

As for me, I dunno. Lot of games annoy me. 

I want to erase FE12, but that means erasing Katarina and the other assassins, who were awesome. 

Hmm... I think I'll pick Radiant Dawn. The story there flopped the worst, they rushed through a lot, and I didn't like the things about how they handled the goddesses and Blood Contract.

40 minutes ago, Florete said:

Metroid: Other M.

But Other M is really good.

37 minutes ago, Jave said:

None. And that's including Awakening and Fates. Every game in the series is someone's favorite and I feel the idea of erasing one of them from existence is rather selfish.

I'm gonna echo this statement, actually. Despite my earlier pick of Gaiden.

58 minutes ago, Jave said:

21 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'm gonna echo this statement, actually. Despite my earlier pick of Gaiden.

You know what? You're right. I retract my statement as well. Fire Emblem has a diverse cast of characters and each game has their own interesting take. 

Even if I have a lot of issues with how Radiant Dawn was, there were plenty of things I enjoyed. So I wouldn't actually want it gone as well.

Sacred Stones.

It's the only game in the series that I can think of that doesn't add a single new feature, or do anything of merit on its own, and feels the most like filler. It's the only one I could see not impacting the rest of the franchise if it was gone.

Edited by Slumber

7 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Obviously Shadow Dragon, that way they can use what they learned from New Mystery, or better yet be extra faithful and follow in the footsteps of Echoes, when they inevitably remake the first game in a less awful way.

While Shadow Dragon did suffer in some areas, it was a marvelous story for Marth to develop as a character. 

i would like to say awakening, but since thats off the table, i'll gooo wiiiith... fe11, and replace it with a super awesome remake of the full fe3 experience with added content, a fully realized story unhampered by snes data limitations, polished graphics, and a solid marketing campaign in the west to get the word out.

secretly this was all a plan to erase awakening from existence anyways

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Sacred Stones.

It's the only game in the series that I can think of that doesn't add a single new feature, or do anything of merit on its own, and feels the most like filler. It's the only one I could see not impacting the rest of the franchise if it was gone.

Wasn't it originally filler? IIRC PoR was taking too long to develop so they threw out Sacred Stones to hold fans over until PoR came out.

24 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

While Shadow Dragon did suffer in some areas, it was a marvelous story for Marth to develop as a character. 

What game did you play? Most of Shadow Dragon is Marth being incessantly talked to like he is a brick wall, and when he does get lines he responds with the stoicism and emotion of same brick wall. Nyna has far more development than the brick wall, even characters with less screen time like Gotoh and Minerva get more character than him. At least in New Mystery he emotes, and takes action that are not dictated to him immediately prior.

9 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

What game did you play? Most of Shadow Dragon is Marth being incessantly talked to like he is a brick wall, and when he does get lines he responds with the stoicism and emotion of same brick wall. Nyna has far more development than the brick wall, even characters with less screen time like Gotoh and Minerva get more character than him. At least in New Mystery he emotes, and takes action that are not dictated to him immediately prior.

Then you, my friend need to be educated. 

Here are posts and threads on reddit, the latter I made, and the former someone that made that is damn well written, even if it was made by someone I don't particularly see eye to eye with most occassions. 

Spoiler

If you still believe Marth is some brick wall, then there is no saving you, my friend.

4 hours ago, Jave said:

That, too.

Lots of folks are spiteful, selfish people with their heads up their arses.  And those who would want to remove things like this are what I'd call "pen erasers".  Because it's just as pointless and stupid to want a game removed from existence as it is to try to erase something written with an ink pen.  And even if you cover it up, it's still there and can be uncovered, and it doesn't change that it happened in the first place.

Just a load of petty bullshit.  If there's one element I disdain with this community, it's stuff like this, and it's why I'm not often around in those heated arguments about how Awakening and Fates "killed" or "ruined" the franchise.  Lots of a bull's crap flying right out of people's mouths like projectile vomit, as unclean as a poorly kept stable.  It's no wonder there are people out there who revile elements on this site and the fandom as a whole, and no surprise more casual folks think gamers are aggressive losers with violent inclinations.

I tell you, if it wasn't for Serenes Forest cultivating a relatively understanding community, I would've never integrated myself into the fandom.  Hell, I might not have even played any of the older games, only sticking to the DS games and those beyond.  I feel so unwelcome as a person who liked Awakening and Fates, it's a wonder I managed to stick around long enough to even find this site.  And I mean all of this, because whatever bad experiences I had here were nothing compared to the the vile and vitriol I received on other sites.

Honestly I would agree with the general census and say none too. The only one I would consider is FE12 and that's solely because of my hatred for Kris and the butchering of Marth's characterisation from FE11 (also I would prefer a remake of FE3 with Book 1 and Book 2 anyways so...).

For the most part anyways, it's not like eliminating any of the games would have significant impact for one of the others since FE, with a few exceptions are rather self contained. The only ones I can think having an immediate effect on another game are FE1/FE3 Book 1/SD, PoR and maybe Awakening with Fates (but I dunno if this would have been a bad thing...).