So I'm writing a walkthrough of this game for my mom...

Espurrhoodie

• It would be worth mentioning how certain mechanics in Awakening differ from Heroes. For example, you could explain how tomes have 1-2 range without the need of a skill.
  • How promotion and reclassing work though reclassing is not necessary. Units can't inherit skills like they can do in Heroes. They can only get skills by promoting or reclassing (level 1 and 10 for the base classes, 5 and 15 for the promoted ones) . Kids can inherit the most recently activated skill by their 2 parents with a few exceptions. You can change the skills order. 
  • Lord, Great Lord and Lodestar are the only classes who can use Rapiers and Noble Rapiers. Myrmidons and Swordsmasters are the only classes who can use Sol Katti and Amatsu. Archers and Snipers are the only classes who can use Double Bow, Longbows and Towering Bow. Dark magic is exclusive to Dark Mage/Sorcerer class and for characters who have the Shadowgift skill. 
  • Nosferatu is everything.
  • There is only one Dancer and certain classes like Pegasus Knight and Fighter are gender-exclusive.
  • The Avatar has access to every class via reclassing except Dancer, Villager, Taguel, Manakete, Conqueror and Lodestar and certain gender-exclusive classes depending of the Avatar's gender.
  • If there are characters she likes in Heroes but aren't in the Awakening cast, she can maybe find them via Spotpass but they don't have supports unlike the Awakening characters. Each character has a shop with some good weapons available like Celica's Gale (a brave magic weapon, available in Celica's shop), and other rare and useful ones. There are also paralogues obtainable via Spotpass which are unlocked after Chapter 25. 
  • Some characters can be recruited in the main story by having Chrom talking to them. There are characters with a unique portrait. There are others recruitable characters in the paralogues who can be recruited in differents ways.
  • You can't control NPCs/green units.
  • Having fun!~

13 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  • Chrom and Sumia have limited support options. The former gets married automatically at a certain point of the game, but it's possible for every possible partner of the latter to already be paired up.

Except Olivia, because she joins right on the last chapter before the automatic marriage.  If you have her pair-up with Chrom the entire battle or dance for him a lot, he’ll automatically get married to her; otherwise he’ll marry some random generic village maiden - the most inferior wife for him.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:59 PM, Hawkwing said:

Myrmidon literally has no downsides to him, and making him a fighter gives him a much needed strength boost, and allows him to promote into a hero, preventing his sword rank from going to waste and making him an overall balanced unit.

With that said, he does require some dedication and care to use (I won't say babying because he's a bit of a class cannon early on. Gaius doesn't need powerful weapons or someone else to weaken the enemy first in order for him to kill someone, but he does risk considerable injury if he fails to dodge), but once he gets up to speed, he's pretty worthwhile.

And before you complain about that, I will say that first and foremost, Awakening is a game that is pretty forgiving for letting the player do what they want, and makes sure that everyone is viable. It's the players (and RNG's) choice on whether or not they want to use a unit.

I would also say that Gaius works well either as a replacement or working alongside said sword units in an ironman run, but that's neither here nor there on this topic.

The problem is that there's practically nothing he can do that somebody else couldn't do better. Which is, frankly, discouraging. If I'm going to suffer a bad unit, it damn well better be worth the headache. Well, that, or it's because I like them.