What game got you into gaming?

Byliyth

The gen 4 pokemon games, starting with Pearl. Battling with friends and family and messing around with the action replay were some of the most fun that I had with games back then.

Although I'm not really a fan of pokemon games nowadays, Pearl, Diamond and Platinum will always be some of my favorite games of all time- not for the gameplay or story, but for the experiences with it that showed me just how much fun games could be. 

Lego Star Wars. Got it as a Christmas gift, along with my first Lego set; Count Dooku's speeder with Yoda. I had already watched Star Wars before then, so I found the cutscenes to be hilarious and using lightsabers and the force to be fun. It also gave me some ideas of what I could build out of Legos as my collection increased, which is always a plus.

Well my first console was a playstation one though I only had one game for it that being blast(I think?) and being the stupid 4 year old I was I had no idea what I was doing. That was until, my cousin came over one day with a gameboy advanced sp and a copy of pokemon leaf green. He let me play a little and from there I was entranced by the game. Later, I begged my parents for a gameboy and the game. My dad bought me a DS and later we went to best buy where I bought pokemon dash and a DS yu-gi-oh game I can't remember the name of. It wasn't until sometime after that my mom and I went on a small adventure for the fabled pokemon leaf green which we eventually found at a best buy I believe. And from there the rest is history.

My first video game experience was the Wind Waker demo that came with the Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition on the GCN, when I was about 2? Eventually, when Wind Waker came out, me and my brother played it together (I think I was three, or four when I got the game). Never stopped loving games since, and eventually got good enough at games I didn't need to play with my brother anymore. WW's music still makes me super nostalgic (and tear up a bit) to this day.

It's tough to remember, but I think it was Super Mario Galaxy 2. I've never actually fully completed the game aside from the main storyline (I was scared of those Star Coins that called in Comets for whatever reason), but I remember being enthralled with it as a kid. The game that got me really interested into gaming was Ocarina of Time 3D, and it's one of the only games that I've played through multiple times, aside from the shorter-ish games out there like Castlevania.

I always say that the first games I played were the 5 on the Namco plug and play. I definitely played Dig-Dug and Bosconion, more than Pac Man, Galaxian, and Rally X though.

I think that the game that actually hooked me was Pokémon Red shortly afterwards. King's Quest 1, Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, and Spooky Castle on PC come close to the same time-frame though. 

Adding to what I said, even though what got me into gaming was PvZ, Pokémon LeafGreen opened the RPG floodgates for me. After that, I tried more. Pokémon Emerald, Skyrim, Pokémon X, Final Fantasies 1-6 (GBA ones, started with 5), FE 7/12, and even some non-RPGs like Mario and Zelda.

I quickly learned how to manipulate the mobile emulator to duplicate Pokémon and TMs across saves, and two years later I started to learn the arts of romhacking, and opened up my FanFiction.Net account.

So, long story short, LeafGreen was the game that changed my life. I'm quite happy it did.

I've been playing video games since I was basically born, so my memories may be fuzzy a bit...

My first game was probably something on the NES since my dad played some video games, so I'm just gonna say Super Mario Bros. I never got far in it, but I did mess around and play the game. I was a Nintendo man from the very start. // On the PC side, I have fond memories of playing the original Warcraft and Red Alert.

While I've been playing video games, I guess what really got me into gaming (and game design) was Warcraft II. I absolutely loved the map editor and would make my own campaigns. When Warcraft III came out, it became my main game for years because of its custom maps. I never got my head around the more advanced mapmaking mechanics of Warcraft 3 at the time, so I ended up playing maps more than making them.
- - - - -
What skyrocketed me to my current state was looking up videos for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm and discovering Total Biscuit's coverage. Finding him led me to Space Pirates and Zombies (a fun game despite the name), which led me to Steam. SPAZ was my gateway to the wider PC gaming world and Steam, and now I got more games to play than I know what to do with...

I guess I'll also give a mention to Fire Emblem Heroes to getting me into mobile gaming. I always thought mobile games to be "super casual" (Candy Crush and the like) and there was no real games on there. Now I play Fate/Grand Order and Dragalia Lost, amongst other things.

Surprised at the amount of answers involving parents introducing their kids to games. Makes sense I suppose. But my mom and dad's only reference with regard to video games were pinball and maybe the odd arcade cabinet at a bar. Never got to experience what it's like playing a game with a parent, though we had plenty in the house growing up. To them the rules were all so confusing and the graphics made them dizzy - especially when the game's went from 2D to 3D. 

My memory's not all great, but I'm pretty sure I started off with Peter Pan as my first game. Accidentally getting Peter killed by a swarm of bees was fun.

Didn't exactly get me into gaming so I was more of a TV kid, until I got around to getting two CDs that were basically emulators with a bunch of games. Said games consisted of many good Snes RPGs that I still love to this day, so I guess those were what really got me into gaming.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 3:16 AM, Necrofantasia said:

The very first game I played plenty of was Super Mario World.
It was not my first videogame, but it was the first one which really fascinated me.

Ironically I do not play this kind of genre anymore nowadays.
Tastes changed by the time.

Same here. I used to play Super Mario many years ago, but now I despise it. Now I'm focusing more on non-Nintendo stuff starting with Persona 4. I've even tried Yomawari and Oboro Muramasa the other day at a friend's house, and might continue with the latter, and get Odin Sphere too.

Edited by henrymidfields

I remember watching my dad and grandpa playing Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 when I was really young. Then when I was old enough to play games myself I was really into Pokémon Yellow and Gold, Mario 64, Majora’s Mask. 

I first played Super Mario Bros. at a babysitter's house, then at a friend's house, and I fell in love. I convinced my parents to buy us a NES (or Nintendo as we all called it then) for Christmas that year, and got into gaming from there. I still count 2D platformers as one of my favourite genres.

• 4 months later...