A Pre-Release Poll for Three Houses (1/3/2019)

BZL8

A Prerelease Poll (1/3/2019) for "Three Houses"  

98 members have voted

1. 1. How has the promotional material/footage (trailers, clips, gameplay, previews, press-releases, etc.) for the game released so far affected your expectations?

• R.I.P. Fire Emblem.
    • Soured it.
    • I like it.
    • Give the game to me. NOW.
    • Still on the fence.
  2. 2. Would you be okay with a potential delay for the game?

• Yes. I am fine with a delay.
    • No. I am NOT okay with a delay.
    • I am unsure about it.
  3. 3. What are your current thoughts on the four characters so far? (Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude)

• I hate them.
    • I don't like them.
    • Unsure about them.
    • I like them.
    • I love them.
    • Who are these characters again?
  4. 4. What are your current thoughts on the gameplay mechanics revealed thus far? (Troop support, skills, combat arts, free roaming, etc.)

• Unsure about those mechanics.
    • I like those mechanics.
    • I love those mechanics.
    • What mechanics?
  5. 5. Do you like what is currently known about the story/world/lore of "Three Houses" so far?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Still on the fence.
    • I don't know anything about what you asked.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/13/2019 at 04:30 AM

Part of me is interested in this forum's pre-release thoughts up to this point on "Fire Emblem: Three Houses" . As it has been a while since the game's initial reveal at E3 2018, and everyone generally has time to fully formulate their thoughts, I went ahead and made a poll with a few questions. If people are okay with it, I am fine with making a pre-release poll once every few weeks/ a month up to the game's currently listed Spring 2019 release. Bear in mind this poll has a limited time-frame to answer. Use this thread to discuss your opinions further in depth. Please try not to derail it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the fence about everything although I feel like I have an opinion about the music direction for once in an FE (we don't talk about TMS) game. Not as bad as the thrash metal of the FEH Book III trailer (which I feel like probably won't be referenced again), but there's still something blatantly anachronistic about it as a main theme. I get it that Nintendo is starting to release vocalized themes with their newer games—Jump Up, Super Star! and Lifelight come to mind—but the trailer's transition from the orchestrated, "classic" Fire Emblem triumphant brass (which got me hyped as shit) to the EDM/DnB dropping in with the vocals was weird, to say the least. 

I'm interested in what's been presented so far, and the trailer we have right now reminds me of when the first trailer for Breath of the Wild released at E3 2016. We got to see a bit of the game, but not too much, although enough of the game so that it grabbed our attention. BotW also came out about a year later, so I expect it'll be the same deal with Three Houses, which is what it's looking to be. Conspiracy theories aside, I'm looking forward to TH.

Same boat as Roxas.

I really don't think I can have much of an opinion on the game right now because all I've seen are flashes here and there of various aspects of the game.  I don't even really know what the conflict is, what the characters are like, why I should care about anything or anyone, or even who I'm actually playing as (probably that... what was his name, Byleth?).

All I know is that it'd be nice to see more.

I'm curious about the formation mechanics. I'm sort of hoping that they don't overcomplicate things too much but add something nice to the experience and tactics. It's a guarantee I'm getting this game. It's a Fire Emblem game after all. I do want to know more about the game though, and I'm hoping for another trailer soon in this month or the next. We only have very shallow and vague information at the moment and only so much of it.

I'm also on the fence on most things just because of the sheer lack of stuff we have to go off of.  At the very least it looks like they're trying to put more effort into world-building this time, though I'll admit a continent name and some locations aren't much evidence.

I'm not "on the fence" in the sense that I may not buy the game. Just on the fence in that I'm not convinced this game will meet a satisfactory standard of quality. My opinions on that one trailer are few and far from what can be considered informed. The graphics look extremely unpolished, particularly in battle scenes, but I can't honestly expect it won't look better given time. They just gave us Echoes and those battle animations are a far cry from Awakening's step-less anime dashing and nonsensical jumping. I think Combat Arts were a cool idea in the last game, but we don't see any in action to opine that they'll be done better than in Echoes - and they absolutely have to be. I think the decision to have playable units represent platoons is a much appreciated change, as all Fire Emblem stories before this have had a failing sense of scale as we routinely see entire nations crumble in a short series of 12 versus 30 man chapters. However, we don't know if this will be the case for all battles, as they have given us conflicting scenes. In one battle, the platoons are on the map, represented as very large square tiles on an open battlefield, while in another battle platoons are represented by individual units in a more series-standard grid.

Furthermore this is the first, new fire emblem game after years of remakes and spinoffs. So I can't speak on this game's potential "direction" in moving forward with the series. All I know is that I'm going to flip a table the moment we see or hear of anything involving time travel or outrealms. I've had enough of that.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm not "on the fence" in the sense that I may not buy the game. Just on the fence in that I'm not convinced this game will meet a satisfactory standard of quality. My opinions on that one trailer are few and far from what can be considered informed. The graphics look extremely unpolished, particularly in battle scenes, but I can't honestly expect it won't look better given time. They just gave us Echoes and those battle animations are a far cry from Awakening's step-less anime dashing and nonsensical jumping. I think Combat Arts were a cool idea in the last game, but we don't see any in action to opine that they'll be done better than in Echoes - and they absolutely have to be. I think the decision to have playable units represent platoons is a much appreciated change, as all Fire Emblem stories before this have had a failing sense of scale as we routinely see entire nations crumble in a short series of 12 versus 30 man chapters. However, we don't know if this will be the case for all battles, as they have given us conflicting scenes. In one battle, the platoons are on the map, represented as very large square tiles on an open battlefield, while in another battle platoons are represented by individual units in a more series-standard grid.

Furthermore this is the first, new fire emblem game after years of remakes and spinoffs. So I can't speak on this game's potential "direction" in moving forward with the series. All I know is that I'm going to flip a table the moment we see or hear of anything involving time travel or outrealms. I've had enough of that.

I'm also on the fence in that same sense.  I'm definitely going to end up buying the game regardless of what happens, but I'm hoping for this to be a stronger effort.

I probably have the same opinions as most who've inputted their votes.

1. So far I like the style and like 3 minutes we've seen, being honest though it's mostly just the trailer theme that does that. (Unrelated but the switch has great trailers, BOTW's trailer at the switch reveal, Torna's E3 trailer, all of smash ultimate, and this are good examples)

2. I am unsure with a delay, on one hand we've gotten one for the game already but provided it was only pushed back later in the year I'd be fine with it, otherwise we got KH3 starting to happen.

3. I like most don't know them. Byleth just isn't a good name I feel, and Edelgard is the only one I'm actually interested in since she is voiced by one of my preferred voice actors.

4. Likewise I really need to see how they develop and work before making up my mind. An example I give is I loved Awakenings gameplay, but I despised Fates, but then heavily enjoyed Echoes and more recently Radiant Dawn

5. I have an idea what the story may be, however I've talked about it in the past and most would say they see it as unlikely to happen, though perhaps a good story. Overall it just depends on how it is handled.

I like most of what we've seen~ I wouldn't say "on the fence" about anything persay because there's simply not that much information to go off of yet and I don't really feel negatively about anything so far~ I'm just neutral honestly~

1. It looks alright I guess.  
  2. Whenever delays come up, I always bring up The Wind Waker.  I love the game to pieces, but the end was super rushed and two whole dungeons were cut because they actually tried to meet a release date.  Because of this, I firmly believe getting a complete product should come before worrying about dates.  The longer they take, the more polished the game would be (relative to how it would be if it came out earlier).
  3. Claude, Edelgarde, and Dimitri are fine, but I'm annoyed at Byleth for now since I don't trust IS to make good Avatar units
  4. Idk.  I'd have to see them in more clear action.
  5. Well, there's barely anything there (Crests meme aside).  Can't judge yet.

I pretty much answered "unsure" about everything except question 2. We've only seen snippets so far, and I need to see more to get a better opinion. It's hard for me to like a certain mechanic when a short trailer only showed no more than 5 seconds showing it.

I'm excited for the game, but we only have face value right now. If the *rumored* January Nintendo Direct includes Three Houses and gives us more gameplay + characters, I would have more of an opinion on this game.

As for the second question, I am fine with a delay... with some limitations. I'm OK if they need more time to refine the game to give us the best game that they can deliver to us. I'm sure they've heard the complaints from recent FE games when it comes to gameplay and writing, so I'd rather have them make sure they're improving those areas. I've been waiting 2 years (since SOV), another few months won't hurt me. Although, I do have a problem with a delay if it's a long delay (year+ or undetermined). Long delays are usually never good a sign, because it usually implies that the game is going through "development hell". This would make me lose confidence in IS.

Some of these are tough to answer because I already know how to feel about things like combat arts and free roaming, I'm very high on them, but I couldn't be more apprehensive of the generic troop formations, to the point where how heavily they're implemented could turn me off the game.

I imagine it might be the same for someone with strong opinions on the characters so far, like maybe you love Edelgard but hate Dimitri. Does that average out to liking the characters or being unsure about them?

Gonna echo most thoughts here: I liked the trailer, but I'm unsure of whether I'll actually like the game. Any mechanic or story always has the potential of being good, what matters is how it's put into practice. For example, Awakening's version of pair-up and Fates's story all sound promising when just covering the generic premise, but the former is a broken mess that trivializes the game while the latter is just.... garbage.

Obviously I'm still going to buy the game because I'm a sheep, but I just want to approach the game's release with caution. I got a bit too into the Fates hype train and while I still love the game, I would be lying if I said I wasn't heavily burned by the reality.

Generally speaking I'm liking everything we're seeing so far, especially the new mechanics. The formations look interesting in particular.

Character wise only Claude is really speaking to me right now, but hot damn do I love him design wise. Edelgard is pretty good too, although Byleth is probably just an MU of sorts and Dimitri... jesus what is that hair

There is still so little known about the game that I have to say that I am on the fence about most of the questions. I just really want to see the design they used for the knights and generals already since that is my favorite class. I am also really interested in how the soldier mechanic will be used so more info on that would be nice. Hopefully we will get some information in the January Direct that is more than likely to be announced at some point.

Edited by TheKnightlyNight

11 hours ago, redlight said:

I am however concerned about jumping from handheld console to regular console.

I don't see why seeing as this isn't the first time that IS have gone from doing a handheld FE to doing a console one.

Anyway, I'm really ambivalent towards this game. The trailer that we have wasn't all that impressive, so I'm on the fence about this game as of now.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

We really don't have enough information. I did like what I saw but we need to see more.

If we don't get any info in the January direct (which isn't confirmed but I'm going to assume it'll happen) then it's probably getting delayed and that would worry me because a game that has multiple delays is almost never a good sign.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't see why seeing as this isn't the first time that IS have gone from doing a handheld FE to doing a console one.

It has, but graphical issues. Then again, first leap into 3D models so it'd explain the initial roughness of Tellius. It's just that comparing what IS was used to in the 3DS games to something like XC2 has me worrying a bit. They probably have new talent for those things, but it takes getting used to new co-workers to work efficiently together. I did hear that Echoes did allow them to practice making more realistic models, but that's just one thing in a full 3D world. Shame that it seems like they're ditching sprite overworld as they seemingly have more experience as of late doing that than "experimental" stuff.

One thing I am worried about is them blowing money on unnecessary features. Ambition in projects can lead you to a pitfall if you're not too careful.

1. I like what I've seen so far, though I'm not a fan of the spiked armour. 

2. I would be fine with a delay. "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." Fates and Echoes felt rushed; it felt like the writers didn't have time to write more than a first draft. 

3. I'm unsure; purely because we know so little. Their character designs are interesting, but a good character design does not necessarily mean a good character (I'm sure we can all think of an example). One thing I do like is that their outfits seem more practical; a lot of major characters in previous FE games have had some really ridiculous outfits, so I'm glad that these aren't that.

4. Again; I'm unsure because we know so little. The troops and formations thing seems interesting. Free roaming seems interesting. 

5. I like what we've seen of the world/lore/story. Already, we have the name of the continent (so it's already better than Fates in that regard), the church of seiros having power and influence in the kingdom, a magical dragon-bone sword that, if being wielded by a guy in spiked armour and later cradled by a crying green-haired lady is any indication, has a dark or tragic story around it. The fact that it looks like it's made from a spine or the end of a tail, rather than a fang like the Falchion, already suggests quite a bit. 
However, I don't like that there seems to be another Tiki, but she could turn out to be an interesting character, so I'll hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I also don't like the weird giant mechanical maid-thing; it reminds me of that scene from Spaceballs, and it really stands out amongst all the Medieval European Fantasy.