CD-i's King Harkinian in a mainline Zelda game?

Remember this guy? The goofy dinner loving, ship sailing, wine sipping King of Hyrule from those games that Nintendo pretends never happened?

Spoiler

Let us draw our attention to Majora's Mask, and the stockpot inn. The notorious Toilet Hand has this line of dialogue.
ZgVrw9Y.png

Lost? Frightened? Confused? Fret not.
Remember that video of all of the King's dialogue I provided?. Watch it again. See if you can pick the line.
Yep. There it is.

Spoiler

Long story short, the Toilet Hand is a subtle nod to King Harkinian, and the CD-i games reputation as excrement. Or I'm just being a smartass.

Edited by Mad-manakete

And here I thought this was going to be a serious discussion about kings in Zelda games.

Honestly what they should do is honor Robin Williams somehow. He loved Zelda and named his daughter Zelda.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

And here I thought this was going to be a serious discussion about kings in Zelda games.

Honestly what they should do is honor Robin Williams somehow. He loved Zelda and named his daughter Zelda.

There was an NPC named Robin in Breath of the Wild. Though I think that may have been coincidence because no further evidence to link him to the character.

Then again, my hand theory is based on a noise the King makes a lot and a line of shared dialogue. Also of note is that the business scrubs in the game use Morshu's "as long as you have enough Rupees" line if you lose a game. More notable because of the shared mustache. So coincidentally, two CD-i lines came back in Majora's Mask. Mind I am chalking it up to coincidence, as I don't think anyone played the CD-i game to make the references.

4 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

The toilet hand appeared in Skyward Sword too.

Not to mention Oracle of Ages, though it's safe to guess each is separate being in different lands. Besides the one in Skyward Sword is female, while the one in Majora's mask has Mikau's voice-clips and is most likely male. Also notable that Skyward Sword uses a right hand while the other two are left hands.

1 hour ago, Mad-manakete said:

There was an NPC named Robin in Breath of the Wild. Though I think that may have been coincidence because no further evidence to link him to the character.

Apart from the fact that said NPC resembles Robin Williams...

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

The toilet hand appeared in Skyward Sword too.

in skyward sword that was obviously a ghost, whereas in other games it seemed to just be some poor fool who decided to play LOZ TP and fell in.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

in skyward sword that was obviously a ghost, whereas in other games it seemed to just be some poor fool who decided to play LOZ TP and fell in.

You're incorrect about this, since they are clearly out of Zelda TP. Why else would they be begging for paper?

My concern is why they didn't put a door on the toilet in MM. 

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You're incorrect about this, since they are clearly out of Zelda TP. Why else would they be begging for paper?

My concern is why they didn't put a door on the toilet in MM. 

Well, the world is ending, being sanitary isn't on anyone's mind.

Edited by DarthR0xas

10 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Him, and Christina Grimmie. I heard she was also a huge fan.

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Haven't heard of her.

She was a singer that was shot while signing autographs after a show. She was a huge legend of Zelda fan. Fans signed a petition, which got 60k signatures, but Nintendo said they didn't want to make any decisions during a time of mourning. This happened in June 2016.

She wasn't an A list singer or anything, but she did have solid/hardcore fanbase thanks to being one of the first "YouTube singers" (a la Justin Bieber) and appearing on Disney every once in a while.

Anyways, going back to the topic, I do wish we could see more of the Hylian Royal family rather than just Zelda and maybe her dad.

5 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

She was a singer that was shot while signing autographs after a show. She was a huge legend of Zelda fan. Fans signed a petition, which got 60k signatures, but Nintendo said they didn't want to make any decisions during a time of mourning. This happened in June 2016.

She wasn't an A list singer or anything, but she did have solid/hardcore fanbase thanks to being one of the first "YouTube singers" (a la Justin Bieber) and appearing on Disney every once in a while.

Anyways, going back to the topic, I do wish we could see more of the Hylian Royal family rather than just Zelda and maybe her dad.

Well, that's depressing. I just wanted to do a thread about a ridiculous conspiracy theory to give people a hearty chuckle and get an excuse to talk about CD-i Zelda and how I'd actually like to see some of the characters return from the void of it, and now we're talking about unfortunate deaths.

Anyway, on the notion, I really, really would like to see King Harkinian return seeing as he was in so much of the early Zelda media (the comics from Valiant, the CD-i games, the cartoon). I mean, barring the manual, Impa went from the same amount of origin (seriously, her first in-game appearance was on the CD-i, check) to being a full fledged character in Ocarina of Time, and a recurring character since. I feel ripped off that Harkinian is treated as an embarrassment. He doesn't even have to be a full fledged character. Maybe just a portrait in a hall of kings past in Hyrule Castle with a brief caption on him and his reign (in the vein of the various King Croacus in Super Paper Mario)

While I fully understand burying Morshu or Duke Onkled or any of the other characters created solely for CD-i, King Harkinian was a formative part of the lore us western Zelda fans had up until Ocarina of Time. For me, he was part of my first encounter with the franchise (the cartoon episode with the winged unicorn), so I'm kind of prone to associating him with it in spite of the fact Nintendo wants us to forget him like the Koopa Kids from the early Mario Parties.

Do have to wonder why we've never seen royals other than Zelda and the king, just getting the occasional mention of them. Wouldn't mind a plot with a would be usurper in the family who allies with a certain villain. Or tries to manipulate him.

4 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

so I'm kind of prone to associating him with it in spite of the fact Nintendo wants us to forget him like the Koopa Kids from the early Mario Parties.

I remember those Koopa Kids, Bowser Jr. killed them all, albeit not right away. Why do you need multiple diminutive Bowsers? Unless they choose to make the Koopa Kids cronies of BJr., his little childish gang members.

4 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

Do have to wonder why we've never seen royals other than Zelda and the king, just getting the occasional mention of them. Wouldn't mind a plot with a would be usurper in the family who allies with a certain villain. Or tries to manipulate him.

Or my awful fanfic route where the King is an arrogant power-hungry donkey who enjoys keeping the Sheikah and Gerudo in his servitude, with Impa being his elder daughter unbeknownst to Zelda. The battle being him with a greatsword and the ToP, where Link has to distract him so Impa can dispel his occasional invincibility (Zelda died at this point so she can't do it) so he can slash away at him again.

I would like an actual brother to a Zelda though, ignoring the manual AoL one. Those kings of Hyrule couldn't all come from marriage into the family, and ST shows a Princess can be a monarch in her own right. Just don't make them super-protective of Zelda to the point of distrusting Link, or arrogant and insecure to the point of hating with envy Link. Make them normal.

The idea of a sister or royal female cousin to Zelda would be neat for how they'd handle the naming, since it seems they should all be called Zelda. So how would one distinguish them? Would the elder sister be called Zelda Prima and the younger Zelda Secunda? Or perhaps for something less cold, Zelda Aureole and Zelda Sophia? Two first names, making "Zelda" more into a birth title than an actual name.

18 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

Well, that's depressing. I just wanted to do a thread about a ridiculous conspiracy theory to give people a hearty chuckle and get an excuse to talk about CD-i Zelda and how I'd actually like to see some of the characters return from the void of it, and now we're talking about unfortunate deaths.

Anyway, on the notion, I really, really would like to see King Harkinian return seeing as he was in so much of the early Zelda media (the comics from Valiant, the CD-i games, the cartoon). I mean, barring the manual, Impa went from the same amount of origin (seriously, her first in-game appearance was on the CD-i, check) to being a full fledged character in Ocarina of Time, and a recurring character since. I feel ripped off that Harkinian is treated as an embarrassment. He doesn't even have to be a full fledged character. Maybe just a portrait in a hall of kings past in Hyrule Castle with a brief caption on him and his reign (in the vein of the various King Croacus in Super Paper Mario)

While I fully understand burying Morshu or Duke Onkled or any of the other characters created solely for CD-i, King Harkinian was a formative part of the lore us western Zelda fans had up until Ocarina of Time. For me, he was part of my first encounter with the franchise (the cartoon episode with the winged unicorn), so I'm kind of prone to associating him with it in spite of the fact Nintendo wants us to forget him like the Koopa Kids from the early Mario Parties.

Sorry I didn't mean to be a downer.

I do like the idea of a Noble Family wanting to take power for themselves. I'm surprised there aren't more noble families or at least some more attention to the political side of Hyrule. The comics generally touched on this better, but I would like to see more people in Zelda's circle than just Impa. I would like to see more Guard Captains, Ladies-in-Waiting, etc.

I would also like a Male Gerudo that isn't Ganandorf and isn't evil. If there's Voe Armor, then surely there must be some guy to wear it.

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

Sorry I didn't mean to be a downer.

Don't worry too much. Life has a way of being depressing. Hence video-games as an escape mechanism. After all, half the point of fiction is that it can be used to forget what's wrong in one's own reality... even if only for a while.