What monsters/enemies do you want to see return in the next Zelda game?

vanguard333

Zelda enemies you want to see return in the next game:  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones do you want to see return? (If I've forgotten one, let me know and I'll add it)

• Armos
    • Beamos
    • Bari/Biri (the jellyfish creatures)
    • Bubble (the winged skull creatures)
    • Darknut
    • Deku Baba
    • Dodongo
    • Eyegore
    • Floormaster
    • Flying Tile/Flying Pot
    • Freezard
    • Ghini
    • Gibdo
    • Goriya
    • Helmasaur
    • Iron Knuckle
    • Leever
    • Like Like
    • Moldorm (tiny recurring enemy, not giant boss)
    • Mothula
    • Peahat
    • Poe
    • Rat
    • ReDead
    • Rupee Like
    • Shell Blade
    • Skulltula
    • Soldier (Ball & Chain)
    • Soldier (Bomb)
    • Soldier (Bow)
    • Soldier (Cannon)
    • Soldier (Spear)
    • Soldier (Sword)
    • Soldier (Sword & Shield)
    • Tektite
    • Terrorpin
    • Wallmaster
    • Deadrock

What Zelda monsters/enemies would you like to see in the next Zelda game, not including the ones that were in Breath of the Wild?

It's been over a year since Breath of the Wild was released. Looking back, one thing the game did very well was the monsters; it gave them personalities, tactics, and overall really good A.I., and it was great to see Hinoxes and Lynels in a 3D Zelda game for the first time ever. 

But (and I should stress that this is in no way a fault of the game) I found myself missing certain Zelda enemies such as Darknuts and Iron Knuckles, and, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that Breath of the Wild doesn't have a lot of the various recurring Zelda enemies, including Soldiers, Skulltulas, Re-Deads, Poes, Like-Likes, Peahats, Floor/Wallmasters, etc. 

My list of enemies that I want to see return:

1. Soldiers: I think it would be really interesting to see soldier enemies in a 3D Zelda game.
  2. Darknuts: It would be really great to battle a fully-armoured enemy in a Zelda game once again. Especially since, unlike pretty much every other game in existence, armour works in Zelda games. I loved having to work around the armour in Wind Waker by either sneaking up from behind or using a parry. Iron Knuckles would also be great to see return for similar reasons. For an interesting variation, Imagine fighting a Darknut on horseback in what amounts to a joust. 
  3. Flying Tiles: I don't know why, but I would love to entire a room in a 3D Zelda game and have the tiles in the room fly at me as an interesting challenge. 
  4. Dodongos: These were great enemies, and it would be cool to see them return.
  5. Peahat: Fighting a flying plant seems like it would be great to see reappear. 
Edited by vanguard333

Breath of the Wild's Flurry rush mechanic would probably make helmasaurs more fun to fight. They don't have a great track record in the 3D Zelda games compared to the 2D ones because striking the back side of one in Twilight Princess as it was rushing at you was difficult since most of their body was covered. And if you struck their armor they'd just turn to face you in a defensive position, prolonging the encounter. You could clawshot the armor off them in that game, rendering them completely vulnerable, but that felt kind of unfair for any enemy that never posed a threat to you beyond knocking you into a pit or down a ledge. You could knock them off a ledge with repeated hits from your sword, but that took a very long time in TP, and would be out of the question with BotW's durability mechanic. But a flurry rush sounds like a great answer to this encounter assuming Link can dash to their backside for his counterattack. And if the magnesis rune returned, you could to that to remove their armor, but I'd first ask that you make the enemies larger and more threatening if you could trivialize the encounter in that way.

Edited by Glennstavos

The return of the Lynel with ALBW and BotW was good.

The utter dearth of enemy variety in BotW is a blight upon it though. The choice to restrict to mostly humanoids I think was to ensure a constant weapon supply, it can't have been SS's reason some similar restrictions- which was Wii Motion Plus sword combat. You only had three common enemy types that aren't nuisances (Octoroks and Keese), for the fourth that is Wizzrobes were fairly rare, and while elements and differences in which weapons they yielded helped, it was still not enough (never fought a Yiga by the way). For boss-esque enemies, you have three main kinds again- Lynel, Hinox, Talus, and the much more limited Molduga. The Blight bosses were all visually humanoids too, even if their arsenal of attacks weren't defined by it.

This said of humanoids, both Iron Knuckles and Darknuts should return as the creme la creme of evil's humanoid enemies. And I want both WW gigantic Darknuts and the slimmer and more realistic figures of TP, I think there is room for both, even if the WW type and Iron Knuckles seem redundant. Maybe we can have ball and chain Darknuts.

Gerudo of both naginata and dual scimitar varieties would be excellent too, alongside perhaps spear using Zora, but Link can't kill people. So they'd have to come up with some magically generated artificial kind or something.

Given the Hinox and Lynel were relatively dead and old-fashioned when BotW brought them back, the return of the boomerang Goriya, as opposed to the copycat kind, would be cool. Boomerangs would pose a unique weapon threat I think.

Beyond the humanoids, I have a fondness for OoT Dodongoes. Poes and Deku Babas would be nice too, perhaps with the bipedal aquatic Deku Babas of MM coming back. Beamos will probably return since Guardians are likely an expressly BotW thing. And how about modernized Deadrocks? -Those enemies littering the outside of Death Mountain in ALttP.

What I DON'T want to see return: Skulltulas, Wallmasters, Floormasters, Redeads, Gibdoes, Like Likes. What do all these have in common? Being creepy and or scary. I can assure you the Triforce of Courage is poison to me.

Lastly, I'd like to say I wish OoA's boss Ramrock would return, I always thought they were cool. I get many old bosses could never return due to being plot-related, but there are others that could possibly return due to not being significantly and specifically tied to the plot of their game. The NES, ALttP, ALBW, and the GB games have no plot-boss relation save the final ones, while things like Morpha and Volvagia are still disconnected enough to possibly see a return. 

23 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Breath of the Wild's Flurry rush mechanic would probably make helmasaurs more fun to fight. They don't have a great track record in the 3D Zelda games compared to the 2D ones because striking the back side of one in Twilight Princess as it was rushing at you was difficult since most of their body was covered. And if you struck their armor they'd just turn to face you in a defensive position, prolonging the encounter. You could clawshot the armor off them in that game, rendering them completely vulnerable, but that felt kind of unfair for any enemy that never posed a threat to you beyond knocking you into a pit or down a ledge. You could knock them off a ledge with repeated hits from your sword, but that took a very long time in TP, and would be out of the question with BotW's durability mechanic. But a flurry rush sounds like a great answer to this encounter assuming Link can dash to their backside for his counterattack. And if the magnesis rune returned, you could to that to remove their armor, but I'd first ask that you make the enemies larger and more threatening if you could trivialize the encounter in that way.

I didn't really like the flurry rush mechanic; the idea of being able to counter an enemy by dodging at just the right time was great, but the slow-motion really disrupted the flow of the fights. If anything, something like Wind Waker's parry would be better for countering Helmasaurs. 

Funny enough; what if, instead of using magnesis to remove their helmet, I think it would be more interesting if the helmet remained fixed in place, but using magnesis would enable you to flip a helmasaur onto its side like the Beast Ganon fight in TP. 

11 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Funny enough; what if, instead of using magnesis to remove their helmet, I think it would be more interesting if the helmet remained fixed in place, but using magnesis would enable you to flip a helmasaur onto its side like the Beast Ganon fight in TP. 

This talk of Helmasaurs is making me think that if they choose to run the Rune idea again instead of a smorgasbord of physical items, that Magnesis should gain a Hookshot component. That is what the Magnetic Gloves partly were, they could pull from enemies, push enemies, and move Link around.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The return of the Lynel with ALBW and BotW was good.

The utter dearth of enemy variety in BotW is a blight upon it though. The choice to restrict to mostly humanoids I think was to ensure a constant weapon supply, it can't have been SS's reason some similar restrictions- which was Wii Motion Plus sword combat. You only had three common enemy types that aren't nuisances (Octoroks and Keese), for the fourth that is Wizzrobes were fairly rare, and while elements and differences in which weapons they yielded helped, it was still not enough (never fought a Yiga by the way). For boss-esque enemies, you have three main kinds again- Lynel, Hinox, Talus, and the much more limited Molduga. The Blight bosses were all visually humanoids too, even if their arsenal of attacks weren't defined by it.

One reason why I hope that, in the next game, they replace the weapon durability and scavenging with a weapon crafting/forging/purchasing system.

Gerudo of both naginata and dual scimitar varieties would be excellent too, alongside perhaps spear using Zora, but Link can't kill people. So they'd have to come up with some magically generated artificial kind or something.

Interesting. They could instead go with the easy method that Link doesn't kill them; he just defeats them and they surrender or flee. It's what they've done with sentient enemies before in Zelda games, from the Gerudo in OoT/MM to the Chief Bulblin in Twilight Princess: "I follow the strongest side. …That is all I have ever known." 

This said of humanoids, both Iron Knuckles and Darknuts should return as the creme la creme of evil's humanoid enemies. And I want both WW gigantic Darknuts and the slimmer and more realistic figures of TP, I think there is room for both, even if the WW type and Iron Knuckles seem redundant. Maybe we can have ball and chain Darknuts.

Oh yeah; I would love to see the return of Darknuts and Iron Knuckles.

Wouldn't ball-and-chain Darknuts essentially be ball-and-chain soldiers with effective armour? Don't get me wrong; I really like the idea of giving a ball-and-chain soldier effective armour, but that doesn't have to make it a Darknut.

Beyond the humanoids, I have a fondness for OoT Dodongoes. Poes and Deku Babas would be nice too, perhaps with the bipedal aquatic Deku Babas of MM coming back. Beamos will probably return since Guardians are likely an expressly BotW thing. And how about modernized Deadrocks? -Those enemies littering the outside of Death Mountain in ALttP.

I had forgotten Deadrocks. I'll put them on the list. 

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lastly, I'd like to say I wish OoA's boss Ramrock would return, I always thought they were cool. I get many old bosses could never return due to being plot-related, but there are others that could possibly return due to not being significantly and specifically tied to the plot of their game. The NES, ALttP, ALBW, and the GB games have no plot-boss relation save the final ones, while things like Morpha and Volvagia are still disconnected enough to possibly see a return. 

Perhaps we can make another topic for the Zelda bosses?

This talk of Helmasaurs is making me think that if they choose to run the Rune idea again instead of a smorgasbord of physical items, that Magnesis should gain a Hookshot component. That is what the Magnetic Gloves partly were, they could pull from enemies, push enemies, and move Link around.

Magnesis getting a Hookshot component would be really cool. They would need to find a way to make sure it only pulls Link towards metal objects that are fixed to a structure, but I can see it working. 

1 hour ago, Arcphoenix said:

You forgot the Guardian and Taluses (Talusi? Tali?) from Breath of the Wild

I'm specifically ignoring monsters that appeared in Breath of the Wild. I must not have made that clear earlier. Thank you. 

EDIT: Actually, I did make that clear earlier. I specifically said, "Not including the ones that were in Breath of the Wild". 

Edited by vanguard333