How might Three houses innovate

In previous Fire Emblem games there is usually been a innovation or added gimmick that has diversified it from the normal Fire Emblem. What innovation might three hoses make?  Personally i think there will be a hybrid cross with Advance Wars with generic troops and the management of them. But what about you? Any interesting ideas for mechanical innovations that might happen (in your opinion) ?

Generic mooks in a unit's "brigade" seems to be the "major" feature even if it seems rather dull right now. I do hope they flesh it out. I think there's a missed opportunity with generic enemies in Awakening and Fates. Having enemies have an avatar's randomized features would be somewhat refreshing to see in battle (model only)

Edited by redlight

I still only see the troops as an aesthetic choice/reasoning for the Formations (that i believe will be a reskinned version of command skills like Lunge and Gamble). But i'm against them being important, just want to see more before forming a real opinion on their role.

Also: TWINS! 

3 hours ago, RexBolt said:

I still only see the troops as an aesthetic choice/reasoning for the Formations (that i believe will be a reskinned version of command skills like Lunge and Gamble). But i'm against them being important, just want to see more before forming a real opinion on their role.

Yeah, respectable. I just know its happening (hopefully) in spring so i just was curious if anyone had interesting ideas for what might happen seince E3

Honestly, it's kinda interesting. Awakening added Pair Ups, Fates changed Pair Ups more, this one though, people seem to have battle formations, so maybe the weapon triangle is complemented by squad formations? That would add an entire layer of strategy to the game, since even some unit (let's say a flier versus an archer), could avoid getting blasted out of the sky given the right formation. Same for an axe user dodging a sword user and hitting back with said formation.

That's how I saw the trailer.

I think certain formations having unique properties or Combat Arts to them would be a natural fit, though that might enter the realm of being too complicated to read the possibilities of a turn. Imagine if some cavalry units had a Charge ability or formation that let them attack and move through several tiles, but a lance unit in a defensive formation would counter that attack or even end it preemptively. Like I said that may introduce too many mechanics going on that IS would want to avoid, but I do hope they give this new mechanic as much focus as it deserves.

Maybe implanting some kind of morale bar would be a neat addition for the soldier mechanic. Something  similar to biorhythm but instead of it directly effecting your units, it instead determines how effective your troop formations are and the amount of damage they do when they perform that charging attack we can see in the trailer. I am curious how these goons will be used and the degree in which they will influence your unit. 

Edited by TheKnightlyNight

I think that it's gonna be the prettiest FE game since the last prettiest FE game. And the music is gonna have some absolute head-bangers in there.

Like everyone else has been saying, formations seem to be the biggest "innovation" that's been presented. However, I think that there might be a new weapon type, based on the one scene in the trailer where the old guy is using what looks to be a whip (or one of those extendable swords, and if it's an extendable sword, then there probably isn't a new weapon type). Going back to my crossed out comment above, this game looks absolutely gorgeous, and the music is... interesting (the trailer music I mean). It's a lot different from other titles in the series (like, A LOT different), which is a bit jarring. The more that I rewatch the trailer, the more that it slowly starts to not feel like Fire Emblem, yet it also still feels like Fire Emblem, which is a strange feeling for me, yet it's also refreshing in a weird way. I'm glad that they're trying new things.

It looks like squad formations are a thing based on the trailer. It's like Pair Up, but now it looks like we have 3 Platoons vs 3 Platoons. Seems like it could lead to some interesting strategies.

Something I think would be rad is if we were to get any information on it we got some compatibility similar to pokemon lets go, where if we link the game with heroes, we could get a free copy of the MC or something, allowing us to have a rare +10 hero after a while~

1 minute ago, Byliyth said:

Something I think would be rad is if we were to get any information on it we got some compatibility similar to pokemon lets go, where if we link the game with heroes, we could get a free copy of the MC or something, allowing us to have a rare +10 hero after a while~

Yeah I was thinking of that as well. The same was done with Amiibo's for the 3DS games, so I don't see they couldn't give us something for linking out games.

1 hour ago, ArgentSable said:

Yeah I was thinking of that as well. The same was done with Amiibo's for the 3DS games, so I don't see they couldn't give us something for linking out games.

Yeah, except the Amiibo units kinda sucked since all they acted as Einherjar with the annoying blue shield and I'm pretty sure they didn't have any unit lines. Hopefully we do have Amiibo support in FETH and better then before~ 

Just now, Byliyth said:

Yeah, except the Amiibo units kinda sucked since all they acted as Einherjar with the annoying blue shield and I'm pretty sure they didn't have any unit lines. Hopefully we do have Amiibo support in FETH and better then before~ 

Well, they did have lines in Fates. Robin has a moment with Severa (can't believe it's him and says she's going to take him down for faking being her friend), and Owain(you can guess what he does here), and Inigo borderline breaks down telling him he's the only person to ever see through him (reference to how Inigo is actually quite broken inside like all child units). Marth, Ike and the others had less though, probably since they had less of a connection (though Ike talking to Priam in Awakening through Amiibo's would have been badass)

It would be interesting to see innovations in dungeon crawling (if that is a thing in this game), like puzzles, unique bosses, and more importantly, better RNG. Seriously, the RNG in Echoes was abysmal! Especially when searching for rare items.

If not, than innovations to character interactions would be interesting. Such as alternative ways of building affinity aside from pair-ups (gift giving, talking, etc).

On 1/6/2019 at 3:29 PM, TheKnightlyNight said:

Maybe implanting some kind of morale bar would be a neat addition for the soldier mechanic. Something  similar to biorhythm but instead of it directly effecting your units, it instead determines how effective your troop formations are and the amount of damage they do when they perform that charging attack we can see in the trailer. I am curious how these goons will be used and the degree in which they will influence your unit. 

I haven't played the Tellius games, so I'm not familiar with biorhythm. But the idea sounds really cool, though! I can imagine this playing a bigger role later on in the game.