When do you think Three Houses will come out?

Byliyth

Well, I wasn't expecting to be impersonated on an internet forum today, but Guest Perle the second here isn't me, so I made an account.

Spoiler

spiderman.jpg.c23676a25c0d39d51d7a9e20214fea71.jpg
They seem to have posted elsewhere around the forums under our shared alias, but please note that I've only ever posted here once, two posts ago :)

That aside, I do think that Fire Emblem is plenty capable of good storytelling and characters. Fates was no marvel of storytelling, but that wasn't the first game in the series. There are more examples of good stories and characters than bad in the series history, if you ask me. My doppelganger seems to disagree, though.
But, that's not what this thread is for, so that's all I'll say on that.

Edited by Perle

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Guest Perle said:

Besides, looking to Fire Emblem for quality storytelling is already playing yourself. If the "no waifu" crowd want an SRPG with good story, Yasumi Matsuno's games are always there. Complex character writing, excellent dialogue and worldbuilding, antagonists with motivations beyond cartoon character level writing with not dumb magic cop outs like "dragon madness" or "he was possessed the whole time". TO:LUCT even features an alignment system that isn't just a boring, flat "good or bad" like most games.

If you aren't approaching Fire Emblem with the same expectations you would a light novel anime, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I do however, have high hopes for the gameplay.

This argument is a thing since Awakening and frankly isn't true and is just used to dismiss criticism against the bad writing in the 3DS era.

FE used to take its writing seriously and have stories that made sense. Awakening and Fates, and to a degree SoV, have a very different approach that is more like what you describe. But it doesn't mean we can't hope Three Houses doesn't ignore its own themes (Fates/SoV) or isn't a confused 3 in 1 mess (Awakening).

3 hours ago, Book Bro said:

This argument is a thing since Awakening and frankly isn't true and is just used to dismiss criticism against the bad writing in the 3DS era.

FE used to take its writing seriously and have stories that made sense. Awakening and Fates, and to a degree SoV, have a very different approach that is more like what you describe. But it doesn't mean we can't hope Three Houses doesn't ignore its own themes (Fates/SoV) or isn't a confused 3 in 1 mess (Awakening).

honestly, I really hadn't thought about it, but you are right, barring fe 1 and 2 (too old to be truly compelling due to hardware), every entry had some level of competence in their storytelling, genealogy and thracia are generally seen as good, binding and blazing had great characterization, tellius had phenomenal worldbuilding and even shadow dragon has it's fans when talking about story,  I haven't really heard anyone say that new mystery was egregious outside of the avatar which could be seen as the harbinger of things to come, meanwhile it isn't until awakening that the stories don't hold up to scrutiny near as well and everyone is suddenly saying "fire emblem stories were never good" mind you we are not saying incredible either, just good.

the only sin that previous entries committed was being typical at worst, meanwhile the least derivative story in series history (conquest) ended up being the worst hands down.

Guest Rednaxela

People are impersonating eachother to start arguments now? Are people really so bitter about Fates that they'll take every opportunity to say the franchise is doomed?

Guests were a mistake.

Getting back on topic, I think it's still coming out in the Spring. I disagree with Nintendo's method of staying so secretive but there ain't much we can do about it.

6 minutes ago, Guest Rednaxela said:

People are impersonating eachother to start arguments now? Are people really so bitter about Fates that they'll take every opportunity to say the franchise is doomed?

Guests were a mistake.

Getting back on topic, I think it's still coming out in the Spring. I disagree with Nintendo's method of staying so secretive but there ain't much we can do about it.

Look who's talking Mr. Guest.

I agree, there's nothing to say it won't come spring. And i still believe in a January Direct.

Not to agree with the troll but I love Matsuno's games too, having him write a future Fire Emblem would be a dream come true for me.

I think it will come out some time in late Spring or Fall if it's delayed. Releasing it in the Summer would be a dumb move because of E3, unless they merely teased the game last time with a bad trailer and only NOW have a good one.

Honestly an early year Nintendo Direct seems like the most logical course of action for Nintendo right now.

5 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

honestly, I really hadn't thought about it, but you are right, barring fe 1 and 2 (too old to be truly compelling due to hardware), every entry had some level of competence in their storytelling, genealogy and thracia are generally seen as good, binding and blazing had great characterization, tellius had phenomenal worldbuilding and even shadow dragon has it's fans when talking about story,  I haven't really heard anyone say that new mystery was egregious outside of the avatar which could be seen as the harbinger of things to come, meanwhile it isn't until awakening that the stories don't hold up to scrutiny near as well and everyone is suddenly saying "fire emblem stories were never good" mind you we are not saying incredible either, just good.

the only sin that previous entries committed was being typical at worst, meanwhile the least derivative story in series history (conquest) ended up being the worst hands down.

I generally don't take the ''Fire Emblem never had good stories'' very seriously and view it similarly as the crowd saying video games as a whole don't have good stories. Maybe my standards are just that low but to me Fire Emblem always had at least a competent story with a believable escalation of events and generally they set out what they needed to do.

The decline of the story in Fire Emblem has very much been a recent thing though I don't think it has as much to do with the new style as people think it does. Fanservice no doubt had an incredibly negative impact but the stories in the 3ds games were also the victim of circumstances unique to them. Awakening was supposed to be the last game so the rushed nature and lack of direction makes sense. It was their very last game to they had to put all their ideas in one basket since the wouldn't get another chance again. With Fates its the unfortunate combination of having a writer unfamiliar with video games and the series, as well as the need to split one story into three games which is something the financial department is probably much more to blame for than the writing department. 

Spoiler
3 hours ago, Guest Rednaxela said:

Apparently? I can't quite wrap my head around why someone would do that if not to just stir drama, but I don't know what they thought they stood to gain by impersonating ... an anonymous person. *shrug*

One thing I did notice that is a bit more on the optimistic side is that, if I remember correctly, we didn't hear much about Fates until about 2 months before its Japanese release.
Could be that we get news anywhere in January to April and still get a late Spring release. Assuming there isn't a big gap between the Japanese and American releases, that is. I'm not expecting a huge difference, seeing as the localization is already in development and that simultaneous releases have been more common lately, from what I've seen?

6 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I would sooner say Binding Blade (literally a retread of a previous game's story) or Sacred Stones (overall rushed, with the split route aspect hurting more than helping) is the worst story hands down. Granted, Awakening and Fates may have screwed up in story, but those other two games have no excuse for crapping the bed so badly story wise.

Guest Rednalexa
1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I generally don't take the ''Fire Emblem never had good stories'' very seriously and view it similarly as the crowd saying video games as a whole don't have good stories. Maybe my standards are just that low but to me Fire Emblem always had at least a competent story with a believable escalation of events and generally they set out what they needed to do.

The decline of the story in Fire Emblem has very much been a recent thing though I don't think it has as much to do with the new style as people think it does. Fanservice no doubt had an incredibly negative impact but the stories in the 3ds games were also the victim of circumstances unique to them. Awakening was supposed to be the last game so the rushed nature and lack of direction makes sense. It was their very last game to they had to put all their ideas in one basket since the wouldn't get another chance again. With Fates its the unfortunate combination of having a writer unfamiliar with video games and the series, as well as the need to split one story into three games which is something the financial department is probably much more to blame for than the writing department. 

There's also the fact that they wanted to "replicate the success of Awakening" without realizing that part of the reason why it did so well was because the 3DS didn't have too many big releases at the time and it was beginner friendly enough to rope in a new crowd of nu-emblem fans. Instead they just thought "Avatar + Kids + DLC = Success" and while they were right in a way (since they game sold incredibly well), doubling down on those aspects had very negative effects on the overall experience that most nu-emblem fans don't really care about (I'm not trying to shame them, you don't NEED to care about story in video games.). There was also the decision to have THREE games instead of two and have those three games be fundamentally different experiences, something that would define them, to the average buyer more than the narrative of the product, which ended up destroying any notion of there being a choice much more effectively than the one sided writing approach (that and the third game and all plot elements tied to it are responsible for the story telling being so one sided, repetitive, and nonsensical).

In short, the origin of Fates' problems are not waifus, but the very mindset behind the development of Fates' entire....thing. Waifus or no waifus, it was doomed from the start.

Really, "x was never good" is just code for "I think this series is beneath me because of an initially bad first impression and am too lazy and stubborn to except any evidence suggesting otherwise."

Guest DeoGame forgot password
On 1/14/2019 at 3:06 PM, Guest Rednaxela said:

Guests were a mistake.

If you are going to critique the guests, critique them right.

Obviously The Guests are to Blame!

There's almost no way its coming out this spring at this point, not if they've learned their lessons at all about advertising and FE.

FE has gotten fairly large for Nintendo thanks to Awakening. They're going to want a lot of time to advertise it, when they didn't advertise it it sold like crap (FE10, Shadow Dragon). When they advertised it a lot it sold very well (Awakening, Fates). They're not going to go "oh hey it comes out next month!". Its pretty clear that something went wrong and they had to delay it again by a fair amount, hence the complete and utter silence since E3. 

Fall 2019 is possible but generous. Winter 2019/2020 is realistic. Just don't be surprised if some parts of it look quite different from the previous E3 trailer when we see it again. 

There apparently not being a direct this January makes me believe its been delayed. They need time to advertise the game and I don't believe they will treat it as the much smaller Echoes and have the game practically out after the next trailer. I feel that if the game was supposed to come out this spring we would have heard something about it by now. 

On the other hand Fire Emblem never struck me as the most challenging game to develop so I have a hard time picturing events that could cause such a delay. 

to be completely honest, I highly doubt that it would be a RD level failure if they didn't advertise it that much, most people didn't even know that RD was even a thing.

but this could still play into my conspiracy theory that nintendo is trying to make fire emblem fail due to the controversial nature of fates.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There apparently not being a direct this January makes me believe its been delayed. They need time to advertise the game and I don't believe they will treat it as the much smaller Echoes and have the game practically out after the next trailer. I feel that if the game was supposed to come out this spring we would have heard something about it by now. 

On the other hand Fire Emblem never struck me as the most challenging game to develop so I have a hard time picturing events that could cause such a delay. 

I disagree with the last sentence. The move from a handheld system to console system is absolutely daunting, especially if most of the developers aren't involved on or experienced with console software projects. Just ask the Pokemon Company how development on "Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee" was.  Do remember that this is also the first HD installment in the series and the first console installment in 12-13 years.  Both the game development cycle and the staff has changed since then (especially the latter as the series shifted to handhelds) and if Game Freak's time developing "Let's Go" is anything to go by, IntSys might be in for an equally as difficult, if not more difficult time than Game Freak especially since "Three Houses" appears to be shaping up to be perhaps the biggest game in the series, even more so than "Radiant Dawn".

Sometimes developers may choose to work on a "test" project before working on a new installment in a series, especially if the team doesn't have a lot of work or experience in a new console medium, such as with Atlus' Persona team developing the original "Catherine" before working on "Persona 5". It's also worth noting that Atlus considers "Catherine" to have the most difficult development period, which isn't all too surprising considering it was their first HD game.

The rough footage in the initial trailer doesn't really surprise me since it is the Fire Emblem development team's first HD console-level game (not sure about the staff overlap or the development experience "Color Splash" provided).

Edited by BZL8