Dragon Ball Super: Broly 7 Mil Day 1 Box Office result

Jedi

Which is roughly 30.4 million USD. 

For those folks hoping this would flop out of it being related to Super or being related to Broly (despite this being a different interpretation) I guess you didn't get your wish haha.

Comes out in the states on Jan 16th, shame my theater doesn't have it.

Edited by Jedi

I really want to watch it (it has already aired in Brazil), I just need time to go to the movies. Broly or not, it seems to be a more interesting take on the character and adds to the story of the Saiyans, so whatever. I just need to finish Super already, and with the way Cartoon Network is botching its exhibition (again, in Brazil and Latin America in general), I'll have to pick another route and watch the anime in japanese.

Edited by Rapier

9 minutes ago, Rapier said:

I really want to watch it (it has already aired in Brazil), I just need time to go to the movies. Broly or not, it seems to be a more interesting take on the character and adds to the story of the Saiyans, so whatever. I just need to finish Super already, and with the way Cartoon Network is botching its exhibition (again, in Brazil and Latin America in general), I'll have to pick another route and watch the anime in japanese.

Probably best to just finish it out in Japanese. My only complaint is that the story of the Saiyans takes from Dragon Ball Minus and I like many others don't like Dragon Ball Minus.

5 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I'm going to watch the movie with my brother next weekend. I hope it's good.

The common consensus I've been seeing:

• It's the best Broly movie
  • It's got possibly the best fight animation and choreography in the series
  • It's better than Resurrection F

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

That mean I'm going to have higher expectations for the movie. Dragon Ball had great moments of choreography in it's history. Being better than Resurrection F isn't too much of a challenge. It greatly suffered from Beerus and Whis sitting on the sidelines. Hard to take everything seriously when they can take out Frieza in a snap.

People love Broly, and they love Dragon Ball.  Anyone who thought it would flop - especially in Japan - was deluding themselves.

Given how Resurrection of F was a smash hit, I strongly doubt the Broly movie will fail in the states, either.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

My only complaint is that the story of the Saiyans takes from Dragon Ball Minus and I like many others don't like Dragon Ball Minus.

That's the one with Gine, right?

Yeah, I always preferred the version of the Saiyan story where Bardock and all the other Saiyan warriors were bigger bastards, and only the royalty had any real family to speak of (as opposed to offspring that are separated from their parents at birth and sent off to remote planets).

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Yes. To all from what I could tell.

24 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

People love Broly, and they love Dragon Ball.  Anyone who thought it would flop - especially in Japan - was deluding themselves.

Given how Resurrection of F was a smash hit, I strongly doubt the Broly movie will fail in the states, either.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

My only complaint is that the story of the Saiyans takes from Dragon Ball Minus and I like many others don't like Dragon Ball Minus.

That's the one with Gine, right?

Yeah, I always preferred the version of the Saiyan story where Bardock and all the other Saiyan warriors were bigger bastards, and only the royalty had any real family to speak of (as opposed to offspring that are separated from their parents at birth and sent off to remote planets).

In fairness, you don't really see many 'warriors' ironically. It focuses more on the behaviours of specific characters as opposed to a broader background. Paragus and King Vegeta are dicks in their own ways but honestly they're the only harsh ones you see. Bardock's implied to be rough around the edges though which at least feels like Toriyama tried to keep him consistent with the original Bardock special. But from what I'm aware, it might be that the script's duration was set to be about 3 hours long and the movie ultimately clocking in at 100 minutes or so that really hurts what he might have been aiming for.

At any rate, I'm feeling like I've said too much so I'll drop it here and just double down on recommending people watch it if they're Dragon Ball fans in general.

3 hours ago, Rapier said:

I just need to finish Super already, and with the way Cartoon Network is botching its exhibition (again, in Brazil and Latin America in general), I'll have to pick another route and watch the anime in japanese.

It's not absolutely necessary to watch through the Tournament of Power. Chris Sabat even stated this on Twitter personally. If you've seen the trailer where Goku mentions it, that's basically all the references throughout. So again, not ultra important but if you're trying to watch it chronologically then I understand why you might feel that way.

The common consensus I've been seeing

To be fair it’s not particularly hard to be better than Resurrection F, the movie or the arc. (We do need more of the general cast kicking generic people’s asses though).

30 minutes ago, Jedi said:

To be fair it’s not particularly hard to be better than Resurrection F, the movie or the arc. (We do need more of the general cast kicking generic people’s asses though).

True, but even by DBZ movie standards, Resurrection F was alright. Definitely not the best, and not the worst. The action was fine, and characters like Tien and Roshi got to participate.

21 hours ago, Jedi said:

I found Resurrection of F cool. It was nice seeing the cast doing something for once, and Freeza was welcome. I dislike how simple it is and how it treats some characters (the arc manages to be better than that, but overall Gohan and Piccolo are treated poorly), but that's it.

Now, Battle of Gods was a disappointment to me since it was about a power sink who wants to destroy the world and has no personality behind it. Yes, I know the Buu saga is pretty much this, but at least Buu got a cool character development and the rest was affected by it in a significant way. Bills was just a generic kitchen sink who tanked the crap out of Goku and wanted to kill everyone for pudding.

Also, being the best Broly movie is easy, since... well, the first Broly movie has him lose for bullshit reasons (and Broly is weaker than Perfect Cell? What the hell), in the second movie he's enough of a joke for kids to piss at him, and on the third movie it's just a Broly clone and the story is even more subpar.

39 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Now, Battle of Gods was a disappointment to me since it was about a power sink who wants to destroy the world and has no personality behind it. Yes, I know the Buu saga is pretty much this, but at least Buu got a cool character development and the rest was affected by it in a significant way. Bills was just a generic kitchen sink who tanked the crap out of Goku and wanted to kill everyone for pudding.

This is an... interesting take.

This is an... interesting take.

Notice that I spoke about Bills in past tense. I actually like the character after watching enough of Super.

2 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Notice that I spoke about Bills in past tense. I actually like the character after watching enough of Super.

It seemed like most people liked him from the get-go. He's not too much different in Super than he is in BoG, we just get more of him. He's still a pretty big goofball in BoG, but more villainous, since we still didn't really know what his role would be back then. And Buu was still a bit of a sore spot for fans of the franchise back then(And now, probably).

On 1/8/2019 at 5:30 PM, Slumber said:

True, but even by DBZ movie standards, Resurrection F was alright. Definitely not the best, and not the worst. The action was fine, and characters like Tien and Roshi got to participate.

Fair fair. I'm glad Tien and Roshi got to do stuff too, although I hate how Tien then got treated in the tournament arc while Roshi got to shine. Should have let both.

19 hours ago, Rapier said:

I found Resurrection of F cool. It was nice seeing the cast doing something for once, and Freeza was welcome. I dislike how simple it is and how it treats some characters (the arc manages to be better than that, but overall Gohan and Piccolo are treated poorly), but that's it.

I think bringing back Freeza was just a cheap marketing attempt and it keeps happening x.x. 

This is interesting.

Saw it in Japan, it's pretty entertaining, although if you're looking for a deep story you won't find it. It's like 85% fight scene (which is convenient when you're watching it in a language you don't understand).

Spoiler

Broly doesn't go Golden Great Ape despite mentioning the Ozaru a bunch of times. Shame, I though that would have been really cool. He's still alive though, so maybe in the future.

Edited by Jotari

11 minutes ago, Rapier said:

To be honest, if you're watching Dragon Ball for a deep story, you're already doing something wrong. That's not the point of the series.

That is...mostly true. But only mostly.

29 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That is...mostly true. But only mostly.

I'm struggling to think of any parts of the whole series that goes any deeper than a shallow wading pool.

Which isn't really a bad thing. Not every shounen has to be mega-brain like HxH.

Edited by Slumber

20 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I'm struggling to think of any parts of the whole series that goes any deeper than a shallow wading pool.

Which isn't really a bad thing. Not every shounen has to be mega-brain like HxH.

Dragon Balls truly effective narrative pieces comes from its very long and organically built character arcs. Most noteably with Piccolo and Vegeta's redemption (the latter of which takes almost the entirely of Z to conclude despite joining the heroes before even the quarter way point) and Gohan's turning into Super Sayian 2. It's almost all certainly unplanned, but it was still rather effective imo. I also think the Sayians are handled really well in the way they look and act human but are fundamentally different to humans on an instinctual level. It's rather subtly done. They're human, but not too human, they're also alien, but not too alien. I don't think I've seen a species with that particular kind of nuance in any sci fi.

47 minutes ago, Jotari said:

They're human, but not too human, they're also alien, but not too alien. I don't think I've seen a species with that particular kind of nuance in any sci fi.

The saiyans share a number of similarities to DC aliens. Most notably, Kryptonians.

And as neat as saiyans are, a number of their traits get entirely glossed over, which muddies so much of what a saiyan actually is. From birth, they're supposed to be naturally aggressive, yet every new saiyan that has been introduced since Vegeta has been naturally peaceful and passive. They went from aggro space pirates to just fight happy and indistinguishable(Aside from being better in every way) from humans.

And I'm not just talking about the universe 6 saiyans. Tarble was exiled from his family for being so passive, Bardock and Gine are now shown to be loving parents trying to save the race, and even new Broly is naturally a pretty peaceful guy until Goku, Vegeta and Frieza egg him into losing his shit.

Their tails used to be a huge trait of their characters, to the point where the could, and would grow them back. And in the never ending quest for power, it becomes more and more baffling that they apparently keep cutting them off, especially after Vegeta showed that you could be trained to control the Oozaru form, which naturally multiplies a saiyan's power. And why would Vegeta keep getting rid of it when he knows it's an easy powerboost, he's the only one of the main cast who knows how to control his ape form, AND when such a central part of his character is his saiyan pride?

After being portrayed as a very scrappy race with a ton of potential, we find out that they're not just capable of great things, they're a race that can literally ascend to godhood.

And remember how saiyan/human hybrids were supposed to have even more potential than full-blooded saiyans, and have even more room to grow?

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

The saiyans share a number of similarities to DC aliens. Most notably, Kryptonians.

And as neat as saiyans are, a number of their traits get entirely glossed over, which muddies so much of what a saiyan actually is. From birth, they're supposed to be naturally aggressive, yet every new saiyan that has been introduced since Vegeta has been naturally peaceful and passive. They went from aggro space pirates to just fight happy and indistinguishable(Aside from being better in every way) from humans.

Hide contents

And I'm not just talking about the universe 6 saiyans. Tarble was exiled from his family for being so passive, Bardock and Gine are now shown to be loving parents trying to save the race, and even new Broly is naturally a pretty peaceful guy until Goku, Vegeta and Frieza egg him into losing his shit.

Their tails used to be a huge trait of their characters, to the point where the could, and would grow them back. And in the never ending quest for power, it becomes more and more baffling that they apparently keep cutting them off, especially after Vegeta showed that you could be trained to control the Oozaru form, which naturally multiplies a saiyan's power. And why would Vegeta keep getting rid of it when he knows it's an easy powerboost, he's the only one of the main cast who knows how to control his ape form, AND when such a central part of his character is his saiyan pride?

After being portrayed as a very scrappy race with a ton of potential, we find out that they're not just capable of great things, they're a race that can literally ascend to godhood.

And remember how saiyan/human hybrids were supposed to have even more potential than full-blooded saiyans, and have even more room to grow?

Kryptonians seem to just be humans with super powers (though I confess my knowledge of them beyond Super Man/Girl/Boy + Zod is rather limited). They don't seem to be different to humans on a psychological level. At least mainstrt adaptations haven't really depicted them that way. I also haven't seen Super, not sure about any of the Sayians in that, the original series was pretty consistent with them though. Even Bardock wasn't a great guy despite being heroic. I like that he didn't really give a crap about his son, and I guest that's why people don't really like Dragon Ball minus. 

Regarding Broly, obviously some nuanced will have been lost on me as I don't understand Japanese, but I do think Broly us still depicted as aggressive. He's definitely much more sympathetic and not evil, but when he loses his shit he really loses his shit and the plot point that Paraguas needed a collar to control him is still intact (though now it's just a shock collar as opposed to mind control).

Regarding the tails, all evidence suggests that only children can grow them back.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Regarding the tails, all evidence suggests that only children can grow them back.

Except when 30 year old Vegeta says his will grow back after Yajirobe cuts it off. And then it doesn't.

Edited by Slumber