Smash taxonomy

Dragoncat

smash_taxonomy_by_rubydragoncat_dcwlk9w-

First three categories can crossbreed but it's highly against the rules and has never happened. If it were to happen, any offspring from "divine humanoid" would be a demigod.

A few are god vessels, but they are categorized by traits that all members of their species have. Shulk is a homs, a humanoid that needs a substance called ether to survive, and if he doesn't take special vitamins while in the Smash hub he gets extremely sick, this is why he's "altered humanoid", not his status as a god vessel. Robin is also a god vessel, but a basic humanoid and is thus categorized as such.

Inkling is not with the other humanoids for the following reasons. Inklings have skeletons made of cartilage, not bone, and reproduce by laying eggs that must be kept moist. Internal fertilization happens, then the female deposits the clutch in water, waits a few months, then BABIES. Baby inklings are affectionately called "squishies". Zoras also reproduce this way. Neither can crossbreed with other humanoids.

Feel free to comment and add more headcanons. Mods can move this to FFTF if it's not deemed serious enough.

NOW EDITED TO INCLUDE ALL AVAILABLE CHARACTERS AS OF 1/8/2019

Edited by Dragoncat

Why are is Zelda/Sheik not in the same category as Ganondorf? Zelda is a demigod, seeing how she always inherits Hylia's power in some capacity, much as the dorf Demise's, they both of them have divine origins to boot, so they belong with the three Kid Icarians. The Links you could make a case for the same category, but while so very often destined, they lack any inherent divine powers, just a destined will and prodigal abilities, not really superhuman.

14 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Ruto is insane for thinking her and Link are viable as a couple.

They can still love each other, that is all that is needed to be a couple. And they can find a willing male Zora and female Hylian to bear unrelated children, who although not of their blood, the other parent will still love as their own.

I'm not a LinkxRuto shipper just to clarify. I'm more the "Link does some heroic studding for a while and then leaves Hyrule" person. The same as my stance on post-RD Ike.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

They can still love each other, that is all that is needed to be a couple. And they can find a willing male Zora and female Hylian to bear unrelated children, who although not of their blood, the other parent will still love as their own.

I suppose this is true. I was meaning that the union can't be fruitful. So I can edit that out.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why are is Zelda/Sheik not in the same category as Ganondorf? Zelda is a demigod, seeing how she always inherits Hylia's power in some capacity, much as the dorf Demise's, they both of them have divine origins to boot, so they belong with the three Kid Icarians. The Links you could make a case for the same category, but while so very often destined, they lack any inherent divine powers, just a destined will and prodigal abilities, not really superhuman.

I guess because demigods are children of gods, not just people given powers from gods or chosen by them. If this counted then Shulk and Robin would be divine as well.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

I guess because demigods are children of gods, not just people given powers from gods or chosen by them. If this counted then Shulk and Robin would be divine as well.

The thing is, Zelda is Hylia, having intentionally taken human form. I think it had to do with some strange choice to make the Triforce unusable by gods. So in a sense, Zelda > Hylia, when the Triforce is in her possession, since the full 'force should outdo Hylia's power by herself. It did permanently destroy Demise and then Zelda mucked up and ruined things

Ganondorf is Demise's undying hatred for Hylia and her hero incarnate, so he is the offspring of Demise, if not Demise itself.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The thing is, Zelda is Hylia, having intentionally taken human form. I think it had to do with some strange choice to make the Triforce unusable by gods. So in a sense, Zelda > Hylia, when the Triforce is in her possession, since the full 'force should outdo Hylia's power by herself. It did permanently destroy Demise and then Zelda mucked up and ruined things

Ganondorf is Demise's undying hatred for Hylia and her hero incarnate, so he is the offspring of Demise, if not Demise itself.

SS Zelda is Hylia, but other Zeldas are descendants of first Zelda in SS and most likely SS Link as well.

I guess when a god takes the form of a mortal they give up their divinity and any offspring they produce aren't considered gods or demigods. If Hylia had bred with the first Link, the red caped one from SS' backstory, instead of taking mortal form, then that kid would be a demigod. Likewise Ganondorf isn't Demise's direct offspring, just a result of his curse.

Makes sense to me.

6 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Likewise Ganondorf isn't Demise's direct offspring, just a result of his curse.

Given we're talking a world where magic and souls exist, why must "offspring" mean the result of haploid gametes being fused together? I'd take the curse as creating a direct offspring. At the least, Gdorf's soul is the direct offspring of Demise, the flesh might not be -actually isn't at all I'd say, given Calamity Ganon's problem is a struggle for a body to call its own.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Given we're talking a world where magic and souls exist, why must "offspring" mean the result of haploid gametes being fused together? I'd take the curse as creating a direct offspring. At the least, Gdorf's soul is the direct offspring of Demise, the flesh might not be -actually isn't at all I'd say, given Calamity Ganon's problem is a struggle for a body to call its own.

Do souls NOT exist irl? I think souls exist in everything.

But I suppose you could interpret it this way. Really though, if we counted this then just about every fighter, if not a lot, could count as divine origin. I bet that's why Zelda and G Dorfy Dorf and the Links are where they are.

I'm going to assume this was compiled after the August Direct, as it's missing anyone announced past that point (Isabelle, Incineroar, Ken, Piranha Plant, Joker). So since they aren't on there, I'll guess that Ken and Joker would fall under "Human", Isabelle and Incineroar under "Non-Human Mammalian", and Plant I guess would be in its own category called..."Plant".

Meh, I see several issues with the list.

1. The Three Links, Zelda, and Sheik should all be in the same category as Ganondork, and that category should probably be of Divine origin. While they are all of mostly human origin, due to the divine nature of the curse and its specificity, one can say that the coming of these three is all due to divine intervention via result of the curse. Therefore, while they may all have been birthed by human means, their courses are all set divinely, and I think that's means for them to be in the divine category. You might say that maybe the gods intervened and helped many of the other characters in a similar fashion, but I think what separates them from this is the consistency and pattern of it. If it's a one time thing, sure, they're still humans, but if this is a thing that's been happening constantly for a millennia, then it seems justified.
  2. Dark Samus is certainly an altered humanoid of some variety. We know she has a skeletal system, and since she is a clone of Samus, Metroid Prime using her DNA and the phazon suit to actually make Dark Samus, she would fit into that category nicely.
  3. Jigglypuff is a mammal. She has fur, she's obviously a mammal.
  4. Personal head-canon of mine, but I think Mewtwo is an amphibian. You fight him (well, technically it's genderless but I always thought of Mewtwo as male) inside Cerulean cave, next to a large amount of water. And you can only access it after beating the Indigo Plateau. Stick with me here cause I'm diving into deep headcanon that isn't really founded, but I like to think that the Elite 4 knew of Mewtwo's existence and where he was, but also could tell that it was laying eggs. The reason why it's accessible after beating the plateau is because Mewtwo has finished laying the eggs (it's incredibly genetically modified, and genderless, so I think it's plausible), and is now guarding over them. This is why you can get Mewtwo in other games.
  5. Olimar is obviously mammalian. He's basically a small human with exaggerated features, and the other members of his race help show that.
  6. Game and Watch is clearly of divine origin since his games are superior to all others.

3 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:
  •  
  • Personal head-canon of mine, but I think Mewtwo is an amphibian. You fight him (well, technically it's genderless but I always thought of Mewtwo as male) inside Cerulean cave, next to a large amount of water. And you can only access it after beating the Indigo Plateau. Stick with me here cause I'm diving into deep headcanon that isn't really founded, but I like to think that the Elite 4 knew of Mewtwo's existence and where he was, but also could tell that it was laying eggs. The reason why it's accessible after beating the plateau is because Mewtwo has finished laying the eggs (it's incredibly genetically modified, and genderless, so I think it's plausible), and is now guarding over them. This is why you can get Mewtwo in other games.

Actually, since Mewtwo is based on Mew, Mewtwo would be essentially a genetically modified embryo/fetus.

Since Mew is arguably based on an embryo/fetus, particularly when looking at their original Green/Japanese Red art. It also supposedly explains Mew's ability to learn all TMs and HMs- in the early stages in the womb, things from dolphins to chickens to humans relatively look alike. The tail, according to this argument, is as shown in the first Pokemon movie when Mew is beneath the ocean curled up in a psychic energy sphere, an umbilical cord.

24 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I'm going to assume this was compiled after the August Direct, as it's missing anyone announced past that point (Isabelle, Incineroar, Ken, Piranha Plant, Joker). So since they aren't on there, I'll guess that Ken and Joker would fall under "Human", Isabelle and Incineroar under "Non-Human Mammalian", and Plant I guess would be in its own category called..."Plant".

I went and made a new one.

I would keep Zelda/Shiek and the Links in the human category. The reason I think this is because they were born human, but have access to divine powers/weaponry. If I were to be really nitpicky, I would create a new category called "Hylian" and put them in there.

Wii Fit Trainer is debatable, but I don't want to debate about it.

Duck Hunt is technically three different entities, that being the dog, the duck, and the marksman/gunman/whatever you want to call them. I have no idea where the marksman would go since they're more or less just a crosshair.

Overall, this is a pretty cool list. Taxonomy sounds pretty interesting. I think I might look into it in the future at some point.

I think Ivysaur is as much a plant as an animal. Even Pokemon's creators are unsure what they classify Bulbasaur as. What I am sure of is that Samus is NOT completely human. She was born as such, but then infused with Chozo DNA. Which allows her to have superhuman agility and flexibility, plus compatibility with chozo technologies like the Varia suit, morph ball, and various beams. Snake also deserves a spot in the altered humanoids category. Solid Snake is a clone built from Big Boss' DNA, though one ironic twist in the series is that Solid Snake was not created in a test tube but had a natural birth. And I think Rosalina qualifies as a divine humanoid. In fact she exhibits few human characteristics beyond her appearance, but she can change her size at will and treats Mario like some poor lost creature searching for his special one.

I think there should be a change in the category that I'm pretty sure of that I don't think that's completely right for some characters in the category.

1. There was no evidence that Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pac-Man, and Mr. Game & Watch are aliens. Mewtwo was created by Mr. Fuji from Mew's cells.
  2. Link, Zelda, Shiek, Young Link, and Toon Link should be moved to Altered Humanoid or move to new category. First of all, they have pointy ears and they referred them as Hyrulians not Humans. Actually Humans don't have pointy ears, that was usually common to elves and fairies in fiction.
  3. I think you should add Ridley in the alien category as well since he is an alien space dragon.
  4. You should add Ivysaur in the Plant Category as well since he's a grass-type Pokemon.
Edited by King Marth 64

I feel Ivysaur and Pikmin should go in the plant category with Pirahna Plant rather than reptile and alien, respectively.

1 hour ago, King Marth 64 said:

I think there should be a change in the category that I'm pretty sure of that I don't think that's completely right for some characters in the category.

1. There was no evidence that Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pac-Man, and Mr. Game & Watch are aliens. Mewtwo was created by Mr. Fuji from Mew's cells.

Perhaps "Artificial species" (species, not life-form) for Mewtwo? (Or even an "Unknown/Unidentified" which also includes G&W and Pac-Man)

Samus should also definitely be in the altered humans category.

Edited by Arcphoenix

On January 9, 2019 at 12:03 AM, Arcphoenix said:

Perhaps "Artificial species" (species, not life-form) for Mewtwo? (Or even an "Unknown/Unidentified" which also includes G&W and Pac-Man)

I think that could work for Mewtwo as an artificial species. I do remembered Mr. Game & Watch is more based off from the Game & Watch games since those Game & Watch games uses the LCD screens, he might have been more human in his universe than outside of the Super Smash Bros. universe. And for Pac-Man, I think his home, Pac-Land did take place in Earth in canon. I don't recall he nor the Pac species referred to as Aliens. I think Pac-Man and Jigglypuff should be on the Unknown category.

Edited by King Marth 64

I just added the suggested changes...the notable ones. Samus was a derp on my part, she was in altered on the original so I stuck her back in there. Not sure if Snake was there, but I'm thinking being a clone doesn't automatically make him altered unless his biology itself is different. Subtle changes to the biology like ether in Shulk's bloodstream, Cloud being altered with cells from a goddess(I think?) and Bayonetta being a magical witch, that counts. Bayonetta was in altered too, can somebody explain it to me? How is she "altered", and how is she different biologically from the other magic users like Robin?

Ivysaur would be in plant and reptile if I could reuse fighters.

Edited by Dragoncat

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I just added the suggested changes...the notable ones. Samus was a derp on my part, she was in altered on the original so I stuck her back in there. Not sure if Snake was there, but I'm thinking being a clone doesn't automatically make him altered unless his biology itself is different. Subtle changes to the biology like ether in Shulk's bloodstream, Cloud being altered with cells from a goddess(I think?) and Bayonetta being a magical witch, that counts. Bayonetta was in altered too, can somebody explain it to me? How is she "altered", and how is she different biologically from the other magic users like Robin?

Bayonetta's situation is a spoiler (really a lot of these characters are spoilers) but definitely relevant to this discussion, because it's honestly hard to classify her now that I'm re-familiarizing myself with details.

Spoiler

She may technically be considered more "divine" than altered. She's the 500 year old child of an Umbran Witch and Lumen Sage, who are both human clans that gained powers through worship. The Witches hold allegiance to Inferno (essentially Hell), while the Sages are allied to Paradiso (essentially Heaven). But the powers and abilities bestowed upon her go well beyond any member of either clan. She's a shapeshifter, and doesn't need to change shape in order to activate powers of flight, use magic, or manipulate time and gravity. Her inheritance of the Left Eye of the World also makes her half of the power one would need to rewrite all of creation, which is more power one could ascribe to any other being in her universe, or Palutena and Pit for that matter. Btw I'm fine with Pit's placement because even though there's almost no lore for angels in that universe, they at least clarify that Pit is not a human and never considered himself as such, even if he does just look like a human with wings.

As for Snake, I just figured genetic engineering was all one needed to be considered altered, since I saw Cloud on the list. But yeah I guess Cloud and Samus are bigger deals since they were altered with alien DNA. Snake may have exhibit the physical peak of any human soldier, but nothing he does in universe could be considered superhuman or supernatural. And there are supernatural humans in that universe to compare to.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Snake may have exhibit the physical peak of any human soldier, but nothing he does in universe could be considered superhuman or supernatural. And there are supernatural humans in that universe to compare to.

Where is our Psycho Mantis AT?

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Bayonetta's situation is a spoiler (really a lot of these characters are spoilers) but definitely relevant to this discussion, because it's honestly hard to classify her now that I'm re-familiarizing myself with details.

She does sound kinda more "divine". But I think I'll keep her where she is, because like you said, her bloodline were humans to begin with.

Snake, well it depends on whether or not this Boss is altered biologically. Basically Dolly the sheep was still a sheep, even if she was cloned. Same concept. I think Snake is a really successful soldier and that doesn't come from being a clone, but from years of training.

Edited by Dragoncat