New Heroes: Rulers Of The Laguz

ILikeKirbys

2 minutes ago, Rinco said:

I want to summon for Nailah, but at the same time I want to save orbs for the Mythic hero at the end of the month. If I wait that much, I'll lose some seasons with her in Arena/AR.

My plan for now is to use the tickets and the free summon on blues and spend orbs on all other blues that comes in those sessions. Hoping that the tickets from Forging Bonds aren't at the top end of the rewards.

According to Forging Bonds datamining:

The tickets are the 100 point rewards, I believe. One per character, four total.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naesala looks to be an excellent FTP unit, the skills he comes with aren't comparable to the banner units but stat wise and his weapon he is very impressive.  I know Nailah is infantry the most boring/common movement type and should be the lowlight compared to these awesome flier units but I think she is the star of this banner.  That B skill, that is actually must have, my god will that be just a super hard counter to firesweep and staves.  Then you have distant counter in the A slot one of the most sought after skills, then she gets a personal skill on top of that in the C slot.  Her weapon and stats and everything together makes her seem like a very powerful combat unit as well.  

Wow.  I want her.  I want all of them, but Nailah the most.  

Is anyone else a little disappointed they didn't take this opportunity to make the inheritable weapons things like "Face Punch," "Knee Kick," "Stomach Bite"? Birds can punch with their wings; I seent it.

Naesala is going to be fun, though. Given there are three available, neutral copies, everyone's getting what's essentially a 40/33/39/24/29 unit with a great weapon. Stat-wise, that's actually not that much worse than Karla, though she'll be in a better spot due to infantry perks and a killer effect. As my one minor bitchiness about him, I feel like they tried to make him more conventionally attractive, i.e. less lanky and a smaller schnoz, and I personally am not a fan of it. Still, not bad art, just not my cuppa.

12 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

As my one minor bitchiness about him, I feel like they tried to make him more conventionally attractive, i.e. less lanky and a smaller schnoz, and I personally am not a fan of it. Still, not bad art, just not my cuppa.

As I said earlier, I think that the main difference they made to his face was actually enlarging his eyes and setting them further apart than his original art. This makes his face look rounder and his nose look smaller, but I'm pretty sure that those specific features are actually not modified that much. It just looks like it because of the changes to the eyes shifting around the "negative space" (which isn't really true negative space, but you know what I mean. If you don't it's the space where things aren't.)

@Mercakete They definitely did make his nose noticeably smaller (shorter?) than in his original art [reference]. The original was definitely drawn with the intention of giving him a comparatively large nose, that is it extended quite far from his face, while the one in FEH is a pretty traditional anime nose. His mouth also appears to be thinner. That said, I do definitely see what you mean about his eyes. He is also facing more head on than he is in any of his other art, so that too could lend itself to making his face seem rounder and nose smaller.

Spoiler

Stumbled across this. Link in the spoiler just so it doesn't take up a ton of space. Eyes are definitely part of it, but as the OP pointed out, he had a much more pronounced bridge in Tellius. The FEH art isn't terrible by any means, and Naesala has just jumped to probably top 5 on my grail projects, just some minor nitpicking.

20 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

@Mercakete They definitely did make his nose noticeably smaller (shorter?) than in his original art [reference]. The original was definitely drawn with the intention of giving him a comparatively large nose, that is it extended quite far from his face, while the one in FEH is a pretty traditional anime nose. His mouth also appears to be thinner. That said, I do definitely see what you mean about his eyes. He is also facing more head on than he is in any of his other art, so that too could lend itself to making his face seem rounder and nose smaller.

I think it's more based off his RD art than his POR art, and his RD art has, if not a smaller nose, then a different kind of large nose. In POR, he just had a large nose and a pronounced bridge. For RD, he had a slightly smaller nose (I think it might've been a little lower on his face) and it no longer bridges to his face or at least it doesn't quite bridge the gap. That said, it is the smallest nose we've ever seen him have.

Thoughts on the VAs since I actually got around to listening to them this morning:

Spoiler

I don't really like Leanne's lines... The quality of her EN voice is actually nice, but I suppose it's more the writing than the VA that bothers me. Part of me always headcanoned her having some sort of accent as a result of just learning the common tongue. But that's a minor unnecessary nitpick (even if I think it would be neat), but the way the lines are written mostly makes her sound like she's in pain and not necessarily struggling with a new language aside from a couple of well-placed slip-ups. I honestly wouldn't have been offended with less slow speaking and a few more errors in syntax, but that's just me. Part of me wonders how it would have worked if they'd made the EN VA voice her JP version (using Japanese lines) and vice-versa. I suppose the clarity would be gone, and most fans might not enjoy that, but it could've had a neat effect. 

Everyone else seems pretty neat. I especially like Nailah and Naesala, even though Nailah's lines are a bit boring... They make her seem a bit more hungry for fighting than I remember her being, but it's been a while, so maybe my perception of her has changed too much. Naesala sounds like someone I'd want to punch in the face. And I love it. Tibarn and Reyson are both cool. Nothing that sticks out to me. I am a little disappointed not to have any snippets of heron singing.... 

8 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Except Lenne I found jap voice acting much better, especially when it come to Naesala, his english voice doesn't fit at all.

The Japanese voice actor for Naesala had a deeper voice that fit well. The English Naesala voice seemed out of character. I play with volume off though, so it's not a big deal.

I prefer the original artwork to any of the new versions, but found Naesala's new face particularly disappointing. It's much more feminine with the larger eyes and smaller nose. It's not bad art, it just deviates from the original in ways I don't find appealing for the character. Perhaps I'll get used to it.

I'll be honest, Lucien Dodge wasn't my first choice for Naesala. I always pictured him being voiced by Liam O'Brien, though since he no longer voices Inigo, that probably would have been very unlikely. Lucien isn't a bad choice for Naesala tho, he certainly isn't miscast for him like Bryce Papenbrook is for Karel, that's for sure

52 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I always found it funny that Naesala looks like he spends more money on his clothes than on Kilvas. I never understood why is it a poor country.

I wouldn't say the country is actually poor. Naesala's PoR Chapter 14 complaint is that Kilvas is a small country, being just a couple islands. He wants size and wealth, but Kilvas isn't exactly suffering- Naesala just wants more. According to the Recollection artbooks, Kilvas and Phoenicis are actually fertile land, though not used for farming since the Bird Tribe prefers to hunt and forage. 

And then there is RD and that reason I'd rather try to forget, but that reason is not poverty either.

Like Travant's Kingdom of Thracia, Kilvas was born of schism, and has a king of dubious methods seeking to better his country, including being hired help. But while South Thracia is actually bigger than the northern Munster District, it is poor. Kilvas seems smaller than Phoenicis, but isn't from what we're aware worse off than it, just a more openly ambitious leader.

My question for Naesala is where he got the portal to ~1950s-1970s(?) for the jacket and hair grease.

I don't get why people hate RD Naesala. RD actually, you know, gave reasons for why Naesala did what he did in PoR as well as RD. Why Naesala's men attacked ships, why he sold Reyson to Oliver, why he had to betray Tibarn, the Gallians, and Ike, etc. He was meh to me before because all he seemed to be doing was "I want do to what I want, I'm greedy!" or something like that. But then we learn that he's not as greedy or selfish as he seems, and that he genuinely cares about his people as well as the herons, he just wound up inheriting a country in trouble because his predecessor signed a blood pact and was forced to abide by it, which meant potentially harming his friends at times. He even regretted it, as I recall now he was sorry for what he had to do to Reyson in PoR.

I admit the blood pact concept itself wasn't done as well as it could've been, but it at least served to deepen Naesala a bit and actually made me like him. Even though Tibarn is still my favorite bird.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't get why people hate RD Naesala. RD actually, you know, gave reasons for why Naesala did what he did in PoR as well as RD.

Pure ambition is reason enough for some. Forcing Naesala into being more of a nice guy beneath the surface diluted his greyness a little too much. He already had something of a good side in his friendships/love with Reyson and Leanne, but his loyalty to these over ambition was dubious. 

Sometimes you want black and white good and evil. Yet, since reality isn't so black and white, sometimes people want a middle ground, and Naesala fell in there in PoR. You cannot excuse his evils, but you can't wholly brush aside his good aspects either. You have to stay on your toes with him, not knowing what he'll decide next, and that unease, although one would abhor it in reality, is entertaining for some in a video game or other fantasy.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Pure ambition is reason enough for some. Forcing Naesala into being more of a nice guy beneath the surface diluted his greyness a little too much. He already had something of a good side in his friendships/love with Reyson and Leanne, but his loyalty to these over ambition was dubious. 

Sometimes you want black and white good and evil. Yet, since reality isn't so black and white, sometimes people want a middle ground, and Naesala fell in there in PoR. You cannot excuse his evils, but you can't wholly brush aside his good aspects either. You have to stay on your toes with him, not knowing what he'll decide next, and that unease, although one would abhor it in reality, is entertaining for some in a video game or other fantasy.

Sometimes you want black and white good and evil? Then why do people complain about characters like Surtr or Validar? They were just "grr I'm evil!" and Naesala was just "grr I'm greedy and want more!" in comparison. So I don't really understand. But whatever floats people's boats.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sometimes you want black and white good and evil? Then why do people complain about characters like Surtr or Validar? They were just "grr I'm evil!" and Naesala was just "grr I'm greedy and want more!" in comparison. So I don't really understand. But whatever floats people's boats.

Essentially, because Naesala is on the good guys' side by the end. Not saying it's the most thorough reasoning, but that's basically what it amounts to. People don't like Surtr and Validar because they're saying evil people are cartoonishly evil with no redeeming qualities. For the record, I don't actually hate either, nor do I have issues with just evil characters so long as they're well executed. In contrast, Naesala essentially says not all good guys are really just peachy, peace-loving heroes; sometimes they do shady things. I like Naesala, but that has a lot more to do with that I thought he was fairly well done and has a sweet design, same with Travant. He, since I don't think you're familiar with Jugdral (correct me if I'm wrong), genuinely cared about his country's people, truly loved his son and daughter if in a rather harsh way, and wanted to provide a better life for all of them, but his approach was quite brutal and he did some really nasty things rather than say building relations with other countries and only resorting to violence when forced to defend himself like Elincia or Roy would do. Not a knock at either of them. I adore Elincia, and I'm pretty fond of Roy. Tried to avoid spoilers for the Jugdral stuff since I'm not super sure how much you know about the games.

Tibarn started out cast in a sort of similar light—his first introduction was as a pirate raiding Begnion ships—but then throughout the entirety of his screen time, he just ended up being a really standup guy who helped his friends and people he respected out. It got to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if people forgot that the hawks were described as just as piratical as the crows when they were first discussed. On a side note, he looked freaking awesome in every game.

I think another reason people might dislike the RD explanation is that it robs Naesala of some of his agency. In PoR, Naesala was driven entirely by his own emotions and desires; he was entirely culpable for everything he did. In RD, they paint it as that he had his back against a wall and was being strong-armed by an outside source. True, unlike possession, he wasn't completely faultless, but it does make him a less active participant in his own life.

On a different note, I just realized that RD really doesn't excuse Naesala's selling his best friend to a completely creep and possibly pervert.

TL;DR: Short, overly simplified, and cynical version is people want villains they feel sorry for and heroes that are dicks.

3 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Essentially, because Naesala is on the good guys' side by the end. Not saying it's the most thorough reasoning, but that's basically what it amounts to. People don't like Surtr and Validar because they're saying evil people are cartoonishly evil with no redeeming qualities. For the record, I don't actually hate either, nor do I have issues with just evil characters so long as they're well executed. In contrast, Naesala essentially says not all good guys are really just peachy, peace-loving heroes; sometimes they do shady things. I like Naesala, but that has a lot more to do with that I thought he was fairly well done and has a sweet design, same with Travant. He, since I don't think you're familiar with Jugdral (correct me if I'm wrong), genuinely cared about his country's people, truly loved his son and daughter if in a rather harsh way, and wanted to provide a better life for all of them, but his approach was quite brutal and he did some really nasty things rather than say building relations with other countries and only resorting to violence when forced to defend himself like Elincia or Roy would do. Not a knock at either of them. I adore Elincia, and I'm pretty fond of Roy. Tried to avoid spoilers for the Jugdral stuff since I'm not super sure how much you know about the games.

Tibarn started out cast in a sort of similar light—his first introduction was as a pirate raiding Begnion ships—but then throughout the entirety of his screen time, he just ended up being a really standup guy who helped his friends and people he respected out. It got to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if people forgot that the hawks were described as just as piratical as the crows when they were first discussed. On a side note, he looked freaking awesome in every game.

I think another reason people might dislike the RD explanation is that it robs Naesala of some of his agency. In PoR, Naesala was driven entirely by his own emotions and desires; he was entirely culpable for everything he did. In RD, they paint it as that he had his back against a wall and was being strong-armed by an outside source. True, unlike possession, he wasn't completely faultless, but it does make him a less active participant in his own life.

On a different note, I just realized that RD really doesn't excuse Naesala's selling his best friend to a completely creep and possibly pervert.

TL;DR: Short, overly simplified, and cynical version is people want villains they feel sorry for and heroes that are dicks.

Yeah, I don't know much about Jugdral beyond Sigurd getting burned up by Arvis and Deirdre getting brainwashed and all. But okay.

The hawks were never as piratical though, because they only attacked Begnion ships. The ravens would attack any ships.

But I guess your input is one way to look at things. I still see it a bit differently, but that's okay.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The hawks were never as piratical though, because they only attacked Begnion ships. The ravens would attack any ships.

Huh, I'm going to have to look at the scripts again.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But I guess your input is one way to look at things. I still see it a bit differently, but that's okay.

Oh, yeah, I'm by no means trying to tell you you're wrong for viewing things that way, just explain why it is other people might see it a different way. That's one of my favorite things about writing, and really art in general: Everyone brings their own interpretation to something and the exchange of ideas makes the whole thing a lot more interesting.

2 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Oh, yeah, I'm by no means trying to tell you you're wrong for viewing things that way, just explain why it is other people might see it a different way. That's one of my favorite things about writing, and really art in general: Everyone brings their own interpretation to something and the exchange of ideas makes the whole thing a lot more interesting.

Right, yeah. That is a good thing about writing and art indeed.