Changes you would make to existing gamemodes?

Arcphoenix

This is a topic I thought of a bit after posting my Modes You Would Like To See In-Game thread.

What changes would you make to current gamemodes of FEH?

Note: Try to avoid things that have been discussed through and into the ground. Things like BST (kind of. If you have a really interesting alternative ranking and matchmaking system, feel free to discuss it), Mythic Heroes in AR, or banning units like Surtr and Veronica from PVP.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts:

Spoiler

Voting Gauntlet: Get rid of the multiplier. I'm not even kidding. Don't even settle for reducing it, just get rid of it. VG in it's current state is a really.... odd game of weird and esoteric tug of war. IS should just turn it back into the popularity contest it used to be. I also want them to make rewards be strictly participation based. No bonus feathers provided if your team wins. Perhaps winners and losers get the same amount as "participation feathers" even. The whole victory based rewards really killed the whole "support the character you like" angle of the voting gauntlet and replaced it with a "choose the character you predict will win so you can get more feathers" deal.

Training Tower Quests: Clearing any of the higher stratums counts as clears of the lower stratums, much like how arena quests work. "Emblem Team" quests should be significanlty reduced in number on the other hand. Honestly, Training Tower is only really ever good for achieving quests or for the occasion of needing to train a rather frail unit in a very, very, very controlled environment (especially when the training map of the day is unsuitable). Otherwise, on the whole, training maps are superior in every way when it comes to actually training units.

Tap Battle: Perhaps clearing tap battles can unlock the music featured in the mode in a sound room.

Grand Conquest: Whatever team you get in round 1 you stay on until the end of the event. Unless you're the unlucky person needing to be switched to even out the numbers. It would also be nice to be able to pick a preferred side during registration. When allocating the teams during set-up, the system could put everyone in their favorite teams then randomly pick people from other sides to balance the numbers. I feel I've said my point for this best here:

On 1/7/2019 at 3:44 PM, Arcphoenix said:

I’d prefer this over grand conquest any day. Rival Domains were something that looked great on paper, but were more messy than strategic and didn’t really give much of a chance to see friends’ units in a practical manner. One thing I feel hurt the mode was not being able to choose a side (and the side changes that can occur between rounds making any significance of allegiance pointless). If you get to choose a side you care about, you’ll be much more motivated to support it. I get why IS randomized it (to keep things balanced), but I still feel it was missed opportunity for “fun value”

Forging Bonds: I feel it would be a lot nicer if the summoner was mostly removed from the text allotted to these events and if more time was spent on characterization and character interaction. Admittedly this would probably require completely changing the structure of the support conversations system (if IS chooses to focus on character interaction), but it would be more widely appealing than the summoner pandering. Hmm... Well maybe this might be best as an alternative mode (the character interaction) than the individualized characterization of certain characters. I'd also like to see IS make a few retroactive Forging Bonds. Imagine one starring characters from the two generations of the Holy War. Sigurd and Seliph for example. Even having characters from different games interacting over the course of the forging bonds "stories" would be really neat, something that would only be possible in Heroes. Take the Far fetched 2 Forging Bonds for example.

Legendary Hero Battles: I'd like to see IS go back and make ones for the first few Legendary Heroes that preceded the modern battle maps. Why? Opportunity for a new challenge and more opportunity for orbs and accessories I guess.

Voting Gauntlet: Points gained for personal score should not have the multiplier applied, just points gained for the team.

Tempest Trials: Good as is.

Forging Bonds: Good as is.

Tap Battle: Good as is.

Grand Conquest: I have no idea what to do with this mode. It needs to be less tedious and less throw bodies at the enemy in auto-battle mode, but I don't have any good ideas.

Arena: Bonus unit kill points are a pile of steaming shit and should be gotten rid of. Arena Medallions should be able to be traded for Combat Manuals for Duel skills.

Arena Assault: I want to trade the items that I don't use for something more useful because I'm never going to use them.

Aether Raids: Axe the mode and redo it from the ground up. There are just too many things wrong with the mode to make adjustments and hope it will improve by a large enough margin. This mode should never have been competitive in the first place because the competition pretty much takes all of the fun out of the mode. The daily free run system is obviously a mechanic meant to make it so that when your Aether cost per run gets too high, you can still do at least one run a day, but it has the significant drawback of making the game extremely demanding on daily participation.

This game needs more "fun" modes that involve social interaction, and this could have been one of them where you can challenge your friends' maps or fight random other players' teams to see them show off, but instead all we got another cutthroat competitive mode that is more of a chore than anything else.

Does anyone actually enjoy this mode? It's fun for me for like 2 minutes if I find a clever way to clear a map without losses, but otherwise, it's just another pile of stress for me to take care of after getting home from work.

VG: completely redo it from the ground up. Try a different concept

TT: needs more interaction. Have there be more talking during TT. Change bosses and final maps periodically. Should last less than what it really is.

FB: Burn it to the ground. Just have Paralogues that introduce the characters to you with the same rewards. IS should take notes from GBF or FGO

TB: Rework it into being something completely wacky. It's designed to be lazy as fuck without any fun. Just an excuse of "new content"

GC: ditch the dumbass fort/camp system and the ugly-ass maps. Use maps from previous FE games in RD map size and have them use the same objectives as those maps.

Arena: Cool down on BST scoring, but don't be as lenient as AR. Also, what Ice said

AA: what Ice said

AR: Just put it out of it's misery and remove the base building aspect of it. Just let it be a arena where you can select your defense position and the units' positions.

VG - I don't know how to improve it. The Same Hell we had recently was dull as heck, and it's always boring when the same people win. I'd probably change the name and just keep it as is.

FB - Remove the summoner from the equation and have the conversations be interactions between the characters. That would be so much more interesting. The latest ones have just been painful. I hate summoner worship >.<

TB - Eh, I'd leave as is. It does no real harm and can be fun. I'd change the associated quests, though. They'd start when it starts and wouldn't involve beating the same two bosses again. I'd also make it so you can beat the ones that ask for normal on hard, since normal bores me to tears even on the highest speed setting.

GC - I hate this mode. Not sure how to change it. It's just not fun.

RD - More fun than GC but not by much. Also not sure how to change this.

AR - Again, just not sure. This mode isn't fun, and the fact that it has time limited quests that need you to win make it even worse. I'm still sad this wasn't a fun town/castle building thing, instead.

TT - No complaints

Arena - No complaints

AA - I agree with swapping items. I can only use three items, so I've picked my three favourites and have maxed out on all the others. I want to be able to swap. I'd also like to be able to replay it and get SP and HM the second time round. I hate only playing it one time a day but it also annoys me not to feel like I'm getting anything out of it except the potential of maybe getting the three items I use.

SA - I just want more of these. I really enjoy Squad Assault but we don't get them frequently enough. I'd love to see more variety in the prizes, too. The seal is just kinda boring now.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Voting Gauntlet: Points gained for personal score should not have the multiplier applied, just points gained for the team.

Tempest Trials: Good as is.

Forging Bonds: Good as is.

Tap Battle: Good as is.

Grand Conquest: I have no idea what to do with this mode. It needs to be less tedious and less throw bodies at the enemy in auto-battle mode, but I don't have any good ideas.

Arena: Bonus unit kill points are a pile of steaming shit and should be gotten rid of. Arena Medallions should be able to be traded for Combat Manuals for Duel skills.

Arena Assault: I want to trade the items that I don't use for something more useful because I'm never going to use them.

Aether Raids: Axe the mode and redo it from the ground up. There are just too many things wrong with the mode to make adjustments and hope it will improve by a large enough margin. This mode should never have been competitive in the first place because the competition pretty much takes all of the fun out of the mode. The daily free run system is obviously a mechanic meant to make it so that when your Aether cost per run gets too high, you can still do at least one run a day, but it has the significant drawback of making the game extremely demanding on daily participation.

This game needs more "fun" modes that involve social interaction, and this could have been one of them where you can challenge your friends' maps or fight random other players' teams to see them show off, but instead all we got another cutthroat competitive mode that is more of a chore than anything else.

Does anyone actually enjoy this mode? It's fun for me for like 2 minutes if I find a clever way to clear a map without losses, but otherwise, it's just another pile of stress for me to take care of after getting home from work.

Agreed. I'd also add:

Arena: Add a third row of bonus units. Bonus units get treated as if max BST. Add a large variety of Duel seals, in combination with all of the base stats.

Arena Assault: change daily quests to weekly quests and multiply the rewards of these.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I do. Although I agree that I do not want play anymore after my 2 daily runs. I do not stress over the mode though as I am content with where I rank and I have switched to an easy to use team with FV!F!Robin. Since they released 6 decorations now, I do not feel the need to aim for the Thrones and ranking high.

Edited by XRay

Voting Gauntlet: just ... get rid of the entire mode

TT: fine as is
Forging Bonds: fine as is
Tap Battle: release all stages at once and the according quests plox
Arena: ... Well the one thing got allready discussed into the ground
AA: Please shorten this mode to 5 battles, 7 is a bit much

AR:
Add a restriction of 2 for each movement type, this would make it more interesting as a mode
Refine some of the maps to match or be equal to spring

General: Allow Mythic heroes to give bonus points to AA
Allow Mythic heroest to also give increased BST bonus on Arena
Allow Regular units to run 2 blessings: one mythic one legendary
otherwise i dont see what would be the point of Mythic heroes.

Voting Gauntlet: Good as it is imo, I disliked the popularity contest it was before cause it was often quite easy to guess who would win so you would vote that character to get the best rewards instead of the character you actually like. Now practically anyone can win.

8 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

Training Tower Quests: Clearing any of the higher stratums counts as clears of the lower stratums

I dig this, that would already make them a lot more doable. Some diversity would mostly improve them for me though, instead of the same damn quests every single month. Make us play with different teams, do stuff like 'have at least one archer on the team' or 'use a team full of mages' I don't know, be creative. And 15 times the 10th stratum with four different teams for just one orb per team is just ridiculous. Either increase the amount of orbs you get from it or take down that number.

Tempest Trials: Fine with it as it is, it doesn't take too much effort to go through and it gives really good rewards. Though I do agree with @redlightthat it could use more interaction to make it more fun.

Forging Bonds:
- Like others have said, just let the units chat with each other instead of with the summoner. The 'oh you are so awesome, summoner' talk is getting really tedious, I simply skip it now.
- Get rid of the multipliers, I don't wanna wait three days before I finally see a 2x multiplier and then have to play for an whole hour to get the most out of it. Just let me play this mode whenever I want.
- Don't make units wear specific accessories, just let any accessory count. Having to switch accessories back and forth before and after this mode is a pain.
- Some better rewards would also be nice, one single orb and 5 dew as the (almost) last rewards is hardly worth all that grinding.

Tap Battle: Give us rewards for the other difficulties pleeeeaaaase. It doesn't even have to be orbs, I just want a reason to actually do the other difficulties cause I do enjoy this mode and would love to have a reason to play it more. It would also make more sense then why this mode is active for a whole month.

Grand Conquest: I don't really care for the big maps, I just enjoy the orbs and feathers it gives so I'm fine with it as long as I can auto battle it really.

Arena: Get rid of bonus points for bonus unit kills, and give us something more to do with arena medals.

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

This ^. Also I would prefer a chain of 5 battles like in arena, 7 is just too much and therefore I hardly ever bother with this mode.

Aether Raids: I don't bother with this mode cause I simply dislike battling with structures that damage/heal/whatever you and/or enemies. Since that is what the mode is all about I don't think anything can change there for me to start liking it heh.

Voting Gauntlet: Either change the name or get rid of it. it isn't really a voting gauntlet at all the way it is now.

Arena: Get rid of the BST factor, I see too many armors and no real variety because of this. I also see a lot more dragons than fliers, cavs, and infantry.

I agree we need more uses for arena medals, I'm drowning in them because I don't have enough refining stones or dew to use with them. :/

Aether Raids: make it so you can't fully enclose units with terrain/buildings. Honestly this seems like such an obvious thing to implement I'm astonished it hasn't been implemented already. Or maybe it was and in my apathy towards the mode I just haven't noticed, in which case: oops.

Rival Domains: replace the reward for the hard map with Grails or sacred coins. Badges are so worthless as a reward that I haven't bothered to complete it in weeks.  I guess this would also apply to any mode outside of arena/Training Tower that gives badges or arena coins.

I have other ideas for overhauling the game but most of my ideas would either eliminate modes outright or overhaul modes in such a way that they would effectively be replaced by something new. Which seems a bit out of scope for this thread.

Edited by Robert of Normandy

8 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Aether Raids: make it so you can't fully enclose units with terrain/buildings. Honestly this seems like such an obvious thing to implement I'm astonished it hasn't been implemented already. Or maybe it was and in my apathy towards the mode I just haven't noticed, in which case: oops.

It's physically impossible to make a unit completely inaccessible. The only indestructible building is the Fortress, meaning it's impossible to fully wall off a unit since there aren't enough terrain obstacles on any map to finish a wall.

The limit to the number of structures that can be placed on the map also limits how thick of a wall of structures you can make.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's physically impossible to make a unit completely inaccessible. The only indestructible building is the Fortress, meaning it's impossible to fully wall off a unit since there aren't enough terrain obstacles on any map to finish a wall.

The limit to the number of structures that can be placed on the map also limits how thick of a wall of structures you can make.

I'm completely aware you can't wall someone off behind indestructible obstacles. I still don't think it should be possible to wall someone off even for destructible terrain.

This is mainly a way to eliminate those maps where people lock up an armor behind obstacles while you deal with the rest of their defense team. Again, maybe I haven't been keeping up with the meta and they aren't really commonplace or effective anymore, but in my mind they shouldn't even be possible.

6 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

I'm completely aware you can't wall someone off behind indestructible obstacles. I still don't think it should be possible to wall someone off even for destructible terrain.

This is mainly a way to eliminate those maps where people lock up an armor behind obstacles while you deal with the rest of their defense team. Again, maybe I haven't been keeping up with the meta and they aren't really commonplace or effective anymore, but in my mind they shouldn't even be possible.

What counts as walling off, though?

A fairly large portion of the maps I see have a wall extending across the map walling off the entire team instead of just a single unit with the intent that the wall includes debuffing structures that cause enemies to rush out if you attempt to eliminate the debuffing source.

31 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

I have other ideas for overhauling the game but most of my ideas would either eliminate modes outright or overhaul modes in such a way that they would effectively be replaced by something new. Which seems a bit out of scope for this thread.

If you want, go for it

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

What counts as walling off, though?

A fairly large portion of the maps I see have a wall extending across the map walling off the entire team instead of just a single unit with the intent that the wall includes debuffing structures that cause enemies to rush out if you attempt to eliminate the debuffing source.

I'm sure there's various ways to do it. Maybe something like you can't have obstacles arranged in such a way that X number of terrain/obstacles are adjacent to each other while also blocking off a unit? Maybe every unit on the defensive team has to have a path to other units on the same team?

Though I guess another way to eliminate the problem would be to have the AI destroy their own obstacles once they've been "activated" if there's no other way to get to the enemy.

13 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

If you want, go for it

Maybe once I'm home from work.

32 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Stalling is only effective if the player is dilly dallying, and it is practically ineffective against Player Phase teams in my opinion. Against Player Phase teams, or at least me, stall teams will occasionally catch me off guard if I am taking my sweet time disabling traps, but usually I can finish them off quickly since they are essentially missing a teammate and I just bulldoze them.

14 minutes ago, XRay said:

Stalling is only effective if the player is dilly dallying, and it is practically ineffective against Player Phase teams in my opinion. Against Player Phase teams, or at least me, stall teams will occasionally catch me off guard if I am taking my sweet time disabling traps, but usually I can finish them off quickly since they are essentially missing a teammate and I just bulldoze them.

YMMV I guess. Maybe I just needed to "git gud" and build better teams but those kinds of stall teams were always frustrating to deal with when I was actually playing AR.

1 minute ago, Robert of Normandy said:

YMMV I guess. Maybe I just needed to "git gud" and build better teams but those kinds of stall teams were always frustrating to deal with when I was actually playing AR.

It can be more difficult if you are not used to Player Phase team's style of killing things quickly. I time out a bit more often when I am using my current team with FV!F!Robin, since I have to wait for them to suicide on her and she often times lack the raw damage output of my ranged nukes so it takes her maybe two turns to kill the more bulky units.

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

It can be more difficult if you are not used to Player Phase team's style of killing things quickly. I time out a bit more often when I am using my current team with FV!F!Robin, since I have to wait for them to suicide on her and she often times lack the raw damage output of my ranged nukes so it takes her maybe two turns to kill the more bulky units.

... which Robin is that? I can't keep track of all the alts/abbreviations in this game.

Edit: NVM I figured out it's Grima. should've just said F Grima and cut down on the alphabet soup.

Edited by Robert of Normandy

5 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

... which Robin is that? I can't keep track of all the alts/abbreviations in this game.

Robin: Fallen Vessel. She is the colorless flying dragon Legendary Hero.

1 hour ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Though I guess another way to eliminate the problem would be to have the AI destroy their own obstacles once they've been "activated" if there's no other way to get to the enemy.

The only structures with a one-time activation are the Catapult and Bolt Tower.

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

Robin: Fallen Vessel. She is the colorless flying dragon Legendary Hero.

Proof that your alphabet soup is the most confusing thing ever.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Proof that your alphabet soup is the most confusing thing ever.

Alphabet soup tastes great in real life!

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

The only structures with a one-time activation are the Catapult and Bolt Tower.

Sorry, I didn't mean structures. I was referring to how the AI will wait and not attack, but once you attack them or put someone in range, all the AI units will aggro. So once that happened, any unit with no path to reach player units would start breaking things.

Aether Raids should limit to one dancer/singer and no duplicate heroes like RD.  In Arena limit the bonus kill points to only 1 per battle, still enough to get the bonus unit active but not needing to solo Surtr with Sharena.  Arena Assault should drop to 5 matches like regular arena.  GHB/BHB/LHB drop the requirement for you to bring in all four members so solos don't involve fodder, or if it's a matter of challenge just make it an extra difficulty that only awards a small feather amount in exchange.  Add defense replays for arena, and give the option of saving recordings of your own battles.

Edited by Nowi's Husband