Changes you would make to existing gamemodes?

Arcphoenix

Friends list: Remove the option to send a request after losing to somebody. As it is, I use the list as a rivals list, purging inactive players and lower-tier players. I may have rejected actual friend requests.

Edited by Chrom-ulent

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voting Gauntlet - Instead of a thirty minute timer, make it so you get two "charges" per hour to play. I just hate having to keep my phone handy for the moment that thirty minute timer is up. I don't mind there being a mode where the people who can pull up their phone at any hour of any day can perform well at it. But I feel completely discouraged from joining winning teams due to the infrequency of multiplier. Especially since nothing I can do as a player will change when those multipliers happen. VG is definitely the worst mode in the game, but I can't think of any overhauls beyond this without creating a new mode entirely.

Tap Battle - stop having this event continue for weeks after its associated quests have ended. Furthermore, have the major quests for the event start on day one, while no longer having the daily quests end a quarter of the way through the event. And add some quests for doing well, since higher scores don't affect anything besides HM gain and this is not an optimal mode to grind HM in. Something like "clear five rounds with S rank or better" and you have two weeks to do it.

Grand Conquests - allow us to use friend units from people in the same team as us without first having to send a friend request to them. Because friend lists are still limited and it doesn't matter if we like each other, we're at war together. It would also be nice if there were vague callouts we could make during rounds in order to cooperate more on our targeting. They also should really increase the amount of buffer points your territories get when you're low on area score, at least for the final round where the stakes are so high.

Edited by Glennstavos

30 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Tap Battle - stop having this event continue for weeks after its associated quests have ended. Furthermore, have the major quests for the event start on day one, while no longer having the daily quests end a quarter of the way through the event. And add some quests for doing well, since higher scores don't affect anything besides HM gain and this is not an optimal mode to grind HM in. Something like "clear five rounds with S rank or better" and you have two weeks to do it.

I'm not sure what the harm of leaving it there in the background is. It has no rewards to it other than first time clears and the quests for the first week of each set so whether it stays up afterwards doesn't harm anyone.

No one's complaining about the fact that story missions and daily Grand Hero Battles stay around long after their quests are over, after all. I don't see why it matters that Tap Battle just sits there in the background along with everything else.

Grand Conquest

• Pick the area you "Help Out" in, instead of it being random
  • Add a "Refresh Map" button, silly to have to exit the mode and re-enter to see changes to the map
  • Areas next to the base always get the starting point bonus that is normally given to areas owned by that army
  • Change the area scoring system so that instead of being 1 point every 5 areas rounded down, it gives 0.2 points per area
  • Allow player reinforcements to spawn at chosen fortresses I guess, at least on lower difficulties
  • Every Grand Conquest, add a new 3-4* unit to the game and give them out as a quest reward, and then add them to the summoning pool after the event (as they did with Kaze)

Aether Raids

• Add a difficulty option before starting a battle, allowing players to weaken an opponent they deem too challenging at the cost of some Lift. Like with Grand Conquest, the lowest difficulties will even remove enemy skills and levels. Players who have Defense failures from matches on lower difficulties will also lose less Lift.
  • Add an incentive to using other map terrains, such as having a "bonus terrain" or two every season which reduces the amount of Lift lost on Defense by like 20% or something
  • Limit both sides to one dancer
  • Grant a partial score when timing out, based on enemies defeated
  • Freely test maps of people on your Friend List for no cost/gain
  • If a player loses Lift on Defense, any successes or partial successes in that same time period will restore the lost Lost by the amount that match would have preserved. Basically, you can win your Lift back, making Defense matches after the first have meaning beyond replay footage
  • Increase the horizontal range of Tactics Room (O) by one in both directions (I'm guessing they thought it was too powerful otherwise)
  • If a dagger unit steps on a trap, it breaks the trap but negates its effects
  • BGM can be set by the player for their Defense map

Arena Assault

• Increase the sizes of the highest scoring tiers
  • Maybe make items be used in other modes like Tempest and Forging Bonds, I dunno, might be fun
  • Buy/sell items for Arena Medals cuz why not

Tempest Trials

• Increase the sizes of the highest scoring tiers and increase the feather rewards for lower/middle tiers

Tap Battle

• Turn off the red ! on the menu already jeez

Voting Gauntlet

• I don't really care anymore, VG is dumb aside from the jokey jokes. At the very least, I wish that they made the battles actually matter and that your rank didn't hinge on your availability
  • Make VG quests where you need X amount of wins with X color unit give multiple clears if a player uses more than one unit of the same color in a given fight (so if you go in with 2 reds, you get 2/5 added to your quest progress)

Forging Bonds

• Add some unique random map objectives, right now this is straight up Training Tower with hats
Edited by Johann

I thing the puzzle mode should get an info move function. Kind of sucks to go through a seven move puzzle and then fuck up in the end because of a misclick and have to remember exactly what you did before to win it.

15 hours ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Friends list: Remove the option to send a request after losing to somebody. As it is, I use the list as a rivals list, purging inactive players and lower-tier players. I may have rejected actual friend requests.

I like to keep it as it is. You can always re-add people that you rejected if you know them. A lot of new and casual players get an unfair disadvantage in Grand Conquest simply because they do not have powerful units and do not have an easy way of meeting with higher level players to get access to powerful units.

Edited by XRay

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

I thing the puzzle mode should get an info move function. Kind of sucks to go through a seven move puzzle and then fuck up in the end because of a misclick and have to remember exactly what you did before to win it.

I don’t fully understand. Do you mean like a Mila’s Turnwheel? Or it remembering your actions last attempt and drawing the paths you took last time when reentering? 

Summoning. Since the 5* pool is so huge, maybe make a monthly banner or something where the player can choose 3 or 4 5* units already in the general summoning pool to be feature units of this customizable banner. Summoning a 5* unit starts at 4%.

Get rid of some of the redundant modes somehow... Most of them are just the same thing over and over that it's hard to feel like it's worth playing all of them anymore... I mean, why play AR when Arena and Arena Assault are basically the same thing other than the ability to use more than four units when high-scoring enough, and customizable maps? Why waste time with Forging Bonds other than daily orbs when Tempest Trials around, functions very similarly, and works much better? Why bother with Rival Domains when the battle structure is similar to Grand Conquests (or vice versa)? New modes are being added as time goes on, but most of them feel like a rehash of things that have already been done... Tap Battle is the exception for certain, but even that has the glaring issue of Hard mode being pretty much useless unless you're trying to complete certain quests (which don't even give out that good rewards to be worth attempting for those that would otherwise not play Hard mode)... For as charming as this game is, and as many characters and worlds it introduces, the gameplay sure has some issues...

PvP in general: Remove bonus units and categorize Aether Raids under Arena.
Aether Raids: Remove the Lift bonus from Mythic Heroes. Have Structures (O) and (D) provide additional Lift bonuses instead.
Arena: Remove BST scoring bullshit, bonus kills, and Legendary bonus.
Arena Assault: Remove BST scoring bullshit for and Legendary bonus.

Voting Gauntlet: Remove multipliers
Tempest Trials: Fine as is. Maybe make it even less grindy by extending the bonus multiplier to the third run as well since we have to do three runs for quests anyways.
Tap Battle: Fine as is.
Grand Conquest: Let players do all difficulty levels from the start. Make it less punishing for new and casual players by buffing their units' stat levels to as if they are 5*+10. Lower the points threshold a bit so it is easier for players to get to Tier 25.
Forging Bonds: Fine as is.

Special Training Maps: Remove the rotation and allow all of them to be accessible at any time. Move them into the Training Tower
Special Maps: All Special Maps should have their time limit removed, and have all the old GHBs, BHBs, LHBs, and other Special Maps restored; basically have all maps available at all times. Move all these maps into Story Maps.

2 hours ago, wheelsonfire said:

Get rid of some of the redundant modes somehow...

Redundancy does not hurt, and removing it will make the game even more boring.

All the PvP modes judges players differently and each appeases different PvP players. Aether Raids appeases players like me who hate the BST scoring bullshit going on in Arena where players can score higher with less skill and weaker units. Arena appeases players who cannot handle the stress of ponies and difficult defense teams. Arena Assault does not require any sort of expensive skill inheritance for a player to do well. Grand Conquest requires no skill inheritance or powerful units at all from a player if the player is part of a community and can just use souped up units from their friends.

PvE modes also offer enough slight differences for them to be kept to make it feel less samey.

Edited by XRay

8 hours ago, XRay said:

I like to keep it as it is. You can always re-add people that you rejected if you know them. A lot of new and casual players get an unfair disadvantage in Grand Conquest simply because they do not have powerful units and do not have an easy way of meeting with higher level players to get access to powerful units.

We still have the friend request option for Voting Gauntlet allies. I'd also add a Teammates menu to the Grand Conquests to send friend requests.

There should be incentives for players to put leads that will be useful. "You're voting for Lilina! 500 feathers per day for not using a red hero for your lead!"

Maybe what I want would be better accomplished by an "add rival" button that puts them on a separate list, no request sent. If you ever cross paths with them again, their name is marked differently.

Edited by Chrom-ulent

2 minutes ago, Chrom-ulent said:

We still have the friend request option for Voting Gauntlet allies

My best representatives are all from PvP modes. From the Voting Gauntlet, I have not seen any random allies that are 5*+10, and most have half baked skill sets at best, hardly usable at best for Grand Conquest.

8 minutes ago, Chrom-ulent said:

There should be incentives for players to put leads that will be useful. "You're voting for Lilina! 500 feathers per day for not using a red hero for your lead!"

Not every player has the resources to build good leads, especially newer and low ranking players. While I do not send requests to every noob I see, I do accept requests from them even if their representatives are not that useful for me. While I do not keep them on my friends list forever, since I will need space to accept requests from other players, while they are on my friends list, they should have a slightly easier time doing Grand Conquest.

8 minutes ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Maybe what I want would be better accomplished by an "add rival" button that puts them on a separate list, no request sent. If you ever cross paths with them again, their name is marked differently.

I think that is a great idea. It would be nice to see how well you do in various events and PvP modes compared to them. Ideally, it would also be great if players are allowed to use their rivals' representatives too so I do not have to accept friend requests from random noobs anymore, since they can just rival me to use my BH!Lyn.

7 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

I don’t fully understand. Do you mean like a Mila’s Turnwheel? Or it remembering your actions last attempt and drawing the paths you took last time when reentering? 

Yeah, I mean pretty much Mila's turnwheel, only with infinite uses for the Tactics Drills.

4 hours ago, wheelsonfire said:

Get rid of some of the redundant modes somehow... Most of them are just the same thing over and over that it's hard to feel like it's worth playing all of them anymore... I mean, why play AR when Arena and Arena Assault are basically the same thing other than the ability to use more than four units when high-scoring enough, and customizable maps? Why waste time with Forging Bonds other than daily orbs when Tempest Trials around, functions very similarly, and works much better? Why bother with Rival Domains when the battle structure is similar to Grand Conquests (or vice versa)? New modes are being added as time goes on, but most of them feel like a rehash of things that have already been done... Tap Battle is the exception for certain, but even that has the glaring issue of Hard mode being pretty much useless unless you're trying to complete certain quests (which don't even give out that good rewards to be worth attempting for those that would otherwise not play Hard mode)... For as charming as this game is, and as many characters and worlds it introduces, the gameplay sure has some issues...

Wait, there's rewards for doing hard mode tap battle? I've been completely ignoring hard mode after like the first tap battle season. I don't recall any quests specifying you need to do hard mode.

Edited by Jotari

23 hours ago, Johann said:

Aether Raids

• Add a difficulty option before starting a battle, allowing players to weaken an opponent they deem too challenging at the cost of some

That could work, or they could provide three opponent difficulty choices with various score values like AA.

22 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't recall any quests specifying you need to do hard mode.

The "defeat boss" daily quests alternate between normal and hard.

6 minutes ago, Tree said:

That could work, or they could provide three opponent difficulty choices with various score values like AA.

AR doesn't really take BST into account, so I would like it to do 4-man, 5-man, 6-man teams (maybe 3, 4, 5 for T18), with -20 lift per unit removed.

12 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

The "defeat boss" daily quests alternate between normal and hard.

AR doesn't really take BST into account, so I would like it to do 4-man, 5-man, 6-man teams (maybe 3, 4, 5 for T18), with -20 lift per unit removed.

Oh, daily quests. I mostly ignore them unless there's orbs to be had.

Looks like they removed the summoner from Forging Bonds (apart from the occasional mention). Mostly. Having Askr trio interact with them was a very interesting choice. I'm curious. Of those who said they wanted the summoner out of the dialogue, what's your opinion on this change?

17 hours ago, XRay said:

Arena: Remove BST scoring bullshit, bonus kills, and Legendary bonus.
Arena Assault: Remove BST scoring bullshit for and Legendary bonus.

This would make the Arena even worse because everyone would be forced to tie for first place to stay in Tier 21 or advance from Tier 19 or Tier 20. Failing to tie for first place would likely be sufficient to force a demote, which is a beyond stupid.

I'll assume you weren't trying for Arena Assault top 100 back when that was the highest reward tier because then you'd know exactly how shitty it is to require tying for first.

1 hour ago, Arcphoenix said:

Looks like they removed the summoner from Forging Bonds (apart from the occasional mention). Mostly. Having Askr trio interact with them was a very interesting choice. I'm curious. Of those who said they wanted the summoner out of the dialogue, what's your opinion on this change?

Great!  This is so much better than the previous forging bonds.  I love Tellius, but I was planning to skip the dialogue here because it would have been completely out of character for Nailah or Tibarn to worship me.  It's also less awkward since I'm female and don't want the female characters throwing themselves at me.  I've only seen the C conversation, so this could get worse, but I'm very impressed so far.  These are the interactions I wanted to see- between the characters.  Leave the summoner out of it.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

This would make the Arena even worse because everyone would be forced to tie for first place to stay in Tier 21 or advance from Tier 19 or Tier 20. Failing to tie for first place would likely be sufficient to force a demote, which is a beyond stupid.

I'll assume you weren't trying for Arena Assault top 100 back when that was the highest reward tier because then you'd know exactly how shitty it is to require tying for first.

I rather see armor teams burn and deal with difficult content than to see them laze around and buy their way to the top without an ounce of tactical effort. Tying for first is not even remotely difficult as obtaining five perfect plays in a row is the only requirement. Arena Assault would still be stupid easy since you can just counter pick your team. If you are worried about fishing, they can make defense teams have scores in increments of 10s or 20s instead of 2s, so players do not have to worry about score variation too much. I want to see rewards being tied to performance rather than who can score the highest with armor units and bonus kills.

The only other alternative that I will be satisfied with is if they make Orb and Grail rewards be based on participation rather than on scoring and performance. That way, everyone can get a fair shot at the important rewards, and players who still like the current mess of a scoring system can still continue to enjoy the PvP modes to get more Feathers and Stones.

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

I rather see armor teams burn and deal with difficult content than to see them laze around and buy their way to the top without an ounce of tactical effort.

I personally take offense at this statement of armor teams not requiring any tactical effort. Anyone saying this clearly hasn't actually dealt with the current state of the top of the Arena.

At the top of the Arena, you are now typically always at a disadvantage because the top defense teams all have access to all of the powerful tier-4 skills.

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

Tying for first is not even remotely difficult as obtaining five perfect plays in a row is the only requirement. Arena Assault would still be stupid easy since you can just counter pick your team. If you are worried about fishing, they can make defense teams have scores in increments of 10s or 20s instead of 2s, so players do not have to worry about score variation too much. I want to see rewards being tied to performance rather than who can score the highest with armor units and bonus kills.

That doesn't solve the other problem with the large number of ties for first place. The lower granularity of scores causes a complete breakdown of the current tier system. Promoting x% of players from one tier to the next breaks down when more than that percentage of players ties for first.

Furthermore, while "all you would need is five perfect runs", if you're even only 1 point away from being able to matchmake against the highest-scoring defense team (unless all wins are exactly the same score), no number of perfect runs will let you tie for first.

And if all wins are exactly the same score, you then have the problem that literally everyone who participates ties for the exact same perfect score, at which point, what the hell is the point of this mode as a competitive mode anymore?

17 minutes ago, XRay said:

The only other alternative that I will be satisfied with is if they make Orb and Grail rewards be based on participation rather than on scoring and performance. That way, everyone can get a fair shot at the important rewards, and players who still like the current mess of a scoring system can still continue to enjoy the PvP modes to get more Feathers and Stones.

Honestly, I think orbs and feathers should be the only resources tied to performance in any competitive mode.

On 10.1.2019 at 3:52 AM, Johann said:

Aether Raids

• Add a difficulty option before starting a battle, allowing players to weaken an opponent they deem too challenging at the cost of some Lift. Like with Grand Conquest, the lowest difficulties will even remove enemy skills and levels. Players who have Defense failures from matches on lower difficulties will also lose less Lift.
  • Add an incentive to using other map terrains, such as having a "bonus terrain" or two every season which reduces the amount of Lift lost on Defense by like 20% or something
  • Limit both sides to one dancer
  • Grant a partial score when timing out, based on enemies defeated
  • Freely test maps of people on your Friend List for no cost/gain
  • If a player loses Lift on Defense, any successes or partial successes in that same time period will restore the lost Lost by the amount that match would have preserved. Basically, you can win your Lift back, making Defense matches after the first have meaning beyond replay footage
  • Increase the horizontal range of Tactics Room (O) by one in both directions (I'm guessing they thought it was too powerful otherwise)
  • If a dagger unit steps on a trap, it breaks the trap but negates its effects
  • BGM can be set by the player for their Defense map

That 1. option is kinda garbage, why should the opponent still loose Lift when you weaken his Team and get a win. If anything the opponent shouldnt loose any lift and your Lift gain should be reduced by 30%. Punishing the other player who put time and ressources into his Defense Team is the wrong route to go.
I would just add the rule that only max 2 type of same movement can be placed in defense AND offensiv Teams. That way it becomes more interesting for both sides.

#2: I agree that there should be incentiv to use other terrain, However I do not think that a misely -20% defense loss is significant enough

#3: definitly agree on this one

#4: nah, you either win or loose period. Would keep it this way.

#5: requesting this since day one. Woudl be nice to check out Friend maps

#6: i like this Idea, but... I would rather go another route and actually get the "Revenge" button more into play. You can earn all teh lost lift back by seeking out the Revenge battle and winning it.

#7 this would be too powerfull. The tactics room is fine as it is.

#8 terrible Idea and makes traps pointless. Traps are the most strategic part of building the map. The only thign i would do: When a dagger user is fielded, you get a message that tells you the lvl of the traps. You still dont know which trap is real and which fake, but at least you can plan now accordingly when you know their level.

#9 BGM: yes please

36 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

At the top of the Arena, you are now typically always at a disadvantage because the top defense teams all have access to all of the powerful tier-4 skills.

Assuming both sides are limited to melee armors, you can just run dual phase armors and pick whichever phase the enemy armor has trouble dealing in.

Against infantry with Null Follow-Up, you can swap out an armor unit for a melee infantry nuke or Spd tank if it does not impact the scoring too much. Outside of infantry with Null Follow-Up, I do not see any other types of units causing problems.

36 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And if all wins are exactly the same score, you then have the problem that literally everyone who participates ties for the exact same perfect score, at which point, what the hell is the point of this mode as a competitive mode anymore?

They can expand the tier to accommodate more players as they have done with Arena Assault in the past.

Edited by XRay

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

Assuming both sides are limited to melee armors, you can just run dual phase armors and pick whichever phase the enemy armor has trouble dealing in.

Against infantry with Null Follow-Up, you can swap out an armor unit for a melee infantry nuke or Spd tank if it does not impact the scoring too much. Outside of infantry with Null Follow-Up, I do not see any other types of units causing problems.

You can't change units after previewing the opponent in the regular Arena.

Also, the opponent is definitely not limited to melee armors. Units with Duel skills are not uncommon at the top of the Arena, and unless you've been whaling or getting lucky and have been specifically building your own Duel units, you likely won't have access to any of your own.

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

They can expand the tier to accommodate more players as they have done with Arena Assault in the past.

I'm not sure you understand that I do literally mean "literally everyone". You can at best sustain 2 distinct tiers if all matches are worth the same number of points: "I participated" and "I didn't participate".

If my calculations are accurate, there are about 30,000 players in Tier 19, 20, and 21 combined and about 200,000 active Arena players total. How exactly do you think you can make proper tiers when at least 50,000 players are tied for first?