My laptop is suffering a serious problem...!

Yesterday my laptop got the blue screen of death (error code 0x0000001E). Looking it up on Microsoft suggests a kernel memory leak.

Since then, I've been keeping tabs on kernel memory.

I started up a game, and kernel paged memory went from 239-240 MB to nearly 280 MB and doesn't seem to wanna come down:

image.png.1a8b7cb811140ba07304a413ba448b7c.png

I might be panicking but this is serious. I've had my laptop for eight years and this has never happened before. How close am I to (the blue screen of) death?

14 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

I might be panicking but this is serious. I've had my laptop for eight years and this has never happened before. How close am I to (the blue screen of) death?

Eight years? I think it's time to get a new computer.

On 11/01/2019 at 10:12 AM, BLSoldier said:

Eight years? I think it's time to get a new computer.

Nope! This one has been working well for so long, and has been so reliable, and works well with everything, even if the CPU overheats at times. No way I'm giving this sucker up! Also, I have another laptop that's 15 years and still works, although it's a little slow at times.

UPDATE: The problem was because my laptop had not shut down for at least two days, and had only been hibernated, so all that uptime in one session was bound to take its toll on my laptop. I don't think it's anything to worry about, really. So BOOM! My laptop will probs last for a few years more...

My laptop is 7 years old and it works better than a lot of laptops that are only two. It actually cost $1500 when it came out, but I got it refurbished for $200 about a year ago. Old computers can do really well if they're good computers. And a computer doesn't die because it gets old (thought the constantly-updating internet can become a bit too much for old computers to handle) it dies because it does a lot of work. If you treat it nicely you can get a nice lifespan out of it.

Agreed. My laptop is doing amazingly well despite its age, but it's slowly losing it's compatibility for today's tasks. The processor is a shitty Dual-Core that overheats most of the time, and the graphics card is so old that it can't handle recent drivers and stuff. That's really the only thing I have against old tech - it's just not compatible with the latest things, which is annoying while at school or sometimes even on the Internet (lack of browser support), but newer systems have a lot more problems running older programs, believe me.

Another thing - computers these days are literally being designed to break down easily so the user has to take them back and get them fixed, which costs money. I don't believe either eMachines or Harvey Norman pulled this trick on my laptop though (well if they did, they only stuffed up the software so I had to reinstall Windows at some point...). And my laptop was only like, $400 at the time? Could've bought... idk, a cheap piece of furniture for the same price. The only trick eMachines really pulled was giving my laptop low-grade hardware so I had to upgrade at some point, but even then, I feel like my laptop must've been a gaming computer for that time... but I knew better than to upgrade my laptop - I went and upgraded the RAM!