Help me decide which Warriors to get.

Dragoncat

Which first  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which first

• Hyrule
    • FE

Now that I own a switch, I do plan on getting Xenoblade 2 and BotW, perhaps Let's Go. But should I get Hyrule or FE Warriors first? I am a fan of both FE and Zelda, but I can't afford both.

2 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

I'd say get BotW first, then Xenoblade 2, then either a Warriors game or Let's Go. Or, you can submit to Todd Howard and buy Skyrim for everything and your toaster jk.

Lol Skyrim is an option for sure.

What Warriors is worth playing first though?

17 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I would suggest getting Hyrule Warriors first if you're interested in getting both. The game has a lot of strengths but FE Warriors makes some quality of life improvements that might make Hyrule warriors a bit harder to get into if you played FE first. Or so I heard. 

15 minutes ago, Jedi said:

If you want more to do, play Hyrule Warriors.

If you want a stronger gameplay experience play FE:W

Both of these are pretty accurate.

Going back to Hyrule Warriors after Fire Emblem Warriors was difficult in some ways. The definitive edition makes additions that are technically nice but the game clearly wasn't designed for. But it has loads of content that even the FEW season pass won't bring that game up to.

Between Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors...

For content, I would say Hyrule Warriors. I also had a lot of fun with the movesets in HW since each character is unique, while in FEW is tied more to classes. I also found the OST in HW to be a bit better than FE (and it helps HW allows for music selection during free play). // However, if you are a completionist obsessed with getting max ranks, Adventure Mode will be a massive pain (Basically never get hit, unless they fixed that in Legends and the Switch Port). Also, the boss enemies may be considered a nuisance when fighting them for the "x" time.

For general gameplay, I'll say Fire Emblem Warriors. They made a ton of quality of life improvements and getting through its version of Adventure Mode (History Mode) is much more bearable. Also, you can give commands to your AI companions to defend forts, attack enemy officers, and attempt objectives. Fire Emblem mechanics, such as Armorslayers, Bows vs Fliers, and the Weapon Triangle, are also present. // However, some movesets are shared between characters. While it does make sense in the context of Fire Emblem and classes, a part of me wished for more moveset variety. The remixes, while good, doesn't stand up to HW's.
Edit: Also, for what it is worth, I found HW's main story (never played Legends) to be a bit more enjoyable than FEW's. Neither are masterpieces as both basically try to justify the crossovers, but the OCs in HW are far more interesting than the OCs in FEW. // That aside, FEW's History Mode does pull off some fun stuff, as well as the Rank A Support Conversations (which are voiced!).

Edited by Sire
Added Story Stuff

34 minutes ago, Jedi said:

If you want more to do, play Hyrule Warriors.

If you want a stronger gameplay experience play FE:W

Wouldn't "more to do" and "stronger gameplay" overlap?

10 minutes ago, Florete said:

No, it's quantity vs quality.

I think I get it.

Hyrule Warriors has more content, but FE Warriors has better content with more varied win conditions?

I would say the cast and the story are significantly stronger in Hyrule Warriors if that's something you care about. 

The Hyrule Warriors cast is less controversial in part because they had fewer characters that absolutely needed to be there. The main Zelda cast has always been pretty small. If you have the Triforce trio and Impa(and Tingle) you already have all the necessities and you can use the remaining space for fan favorites. In contrast FE Warriors needed so many characters that a lot of necessities just weren't there. So Hyrule Warrior had it easier, but the devs also made a lot better choices. Both Fire Emblem and Hyrule Warriors have some OC's but the ones in Hyrule Warriors are all significantly stronger characters with designs and personalities that stand out. It was very wise of Hyrule Warriors to make the OC's into the villains because FE Warriors doing the opposite resulted in a game with few real villains at all. 

The story in Hyrule Warriors is stronger by virtue of having a clear villain and they even do something pretty interesting regarding Cia and Ganondorf.  Aside from that its not anything ground breaking but it does it job competently. 

I think Hyrule Warriors has a better cast and story, and there's much more to do thanks to adventure mode. I would say FE Warriors is the more challenging game though, with a bit more to the gameplay.

My vote goes to HW though, since as I said, I think it did better in more aspects. FE Warriors imo, really needed Ike, playable Darios, and a bit more meat to those history mode maps.

Edited by Anacybele

27 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I would say the cast and the story are significantly stronger in Hyrule Warriors if that's something you care about. 

The Hyrule Warriors cast is less controversial in part because they had fewer characters that absolutely needed to be there. The main Zelda cast has always been pretty small. If you have the Triforce trio and Impa(and Tingle) you already have all the necessities and you can use the remaining space for fan favorites. In contrast FE Warriors needed so many characters that a lot of necessities just weren't there. So Hyrule Warrior had it easier, but the devs also made a lot better choices. Both Fire Emblem and Hyrule Warriors have some OC's but the ones in Hyrule Warriors are all significantly stronger characters with designs and personalities that stand out. It was very wise of Hyrule Warriors to make the OC's into the villains because FE Warriors doing the opposite resulted in a game with few real villains at all. 

The story in Hyrule Warriors is stronger by virtue of having a clear villain and they even do something pretty interesting regarding Cia and Ganondorf.  Aside from that its not anything ground breaking but it does it job competently. 

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I think Hyrule Warriors has a better cast and story, and there's much more to do thanks to adventure mode. I would say FE Warriors is the more challenging game though, with a bit more to the gameplay.

My vote goes to HW though, since as I said, I think it did better in more aspects. FE Warriors imo, really needed Ike, playable Darios, and a bit more meat to those history mode maps.

You guys have me convinced. Hyrule it is. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

You guys have me convinced. Hyrule it is. Thanks!

Welcome! :)

But whenever you can afford it, I'd still give FE Warriors a try too, as it's fun for what it is. Though I could just be biased because I love how Freddy was done in it. :P He's so brutal it's awesome. And he takes hits like a boss. You're going to have trouble KOing him without magic whenever you have to face him.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah I have to give my vote to Hyrule. I only have experience with the base Wii U game, which is probably not even half of the Switch version's modes and characters, but even in that case I would have said Hyrule Warriors felt more varied than Fire Emblem Warriors. Fire Emblem Warriors is more strategic as you consider team compositions and order AI around. But they're still fundamentally very similar. Another boon to waiting on Fire Emblem Warriors is that there is still the possibility of a sequel getting announced, which may make you want to skip the first game.

46 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It was very wise of Hyrule Warriors to make the OC's into the villains because FE Warriors doing the opposite resulted in a game with few real villains at all. 

Not quite sure where you're getting this. HW has more OCs than FEW (assuming you're counting Wizzro and Volga as OCs which you must be if you're saying the OCs are villains) and both have OCs as both villains and allies. There really is not much of a difference there.

Also I want to throw in that while HW does overall have the better story, FEW has the history mode maps and supports both with character interactions that HW completely lacks and are overall quite nice.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

Not quite sure where you're getting this. HW has more OCs than FEW (assuming you're counting Wizzro and Volga as OCs which you must be if you're saying the OCs are villains) and both have OCs as both villains and allies. There really is not much of a difference there.

Also I want to throw in that while HW does overall have the better story, FEW has the history mode maps and supports both with character interactions that HW completely lacks and are overall quite nice.

Well FE Warriors mostly has the OC as the good guys in the form of the twins, Darius and their mom which leaves most chapters without a real villainous force. There are some dark mage guest characters but they don't really fill that hole. It should be noted that their designs weren't all that well received with the twins especially getting a cold reception. 

Spoiler

Darius turns into a villain of course but only at the very end. For most of the story he acts like a good guy

In Hyrule Warriors its different. Cia and her crew being villains ensures that Link and CO always have a real and pretty enjoyable threats to go up against. All three have their standout moments and Volga's design had the good decision to fuse traits from a Zelda boss with the iconic Lu Bu character. 

12 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

All three have their standout moments and Volga's design had the good decision to fuse traits from a Zelda boss with the iconic Lu Bu character. 

I hope they'd consider doing this again with the eventual HW2. Giant bosses might be regarded lukewarmly at best, but Volga (and Wizzro) proves referencing old nonhuman bosses and enemies can be entertaining.

Perhaps they should do this with Gohma next, given how reoccurring a boss they are. But I'd be open to anything if it's done well. Volvagia has only appeared twice, so they could use pretty much any boss. 

If they wanted to blend a Warriors personality/archetype again, well none are as iconic as Lu Bu. Yet maybe a tactician, I'm thinking Zhou Yu, could work. I'd like Cao Cao, but he is a little too grey for HW I'm afraid, and Nobunaga is so black in his ambition I can't possibly see his personality in the simple good-evil dualistic world of Hyrule. Link could use a bro when there are so many heroic women around him, and who'd be better than someone with the aura of the Little Conqueror?

On 1/11/2019 at 1:34 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Volga's design had the good decision to fuse traits from a Zelda boss with the iconic Lu Bu character. 

Except he only had those traits for one story map and literally no where else.

5 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Except he only had those traits for one story map and literally no where else.

Volga always had it that he wanted to fight strong warriors which he shares with Lu Bu. And the most iconic thing about him is ''Do not persue Lu Bu'' which we can see in Volga. Its a recurring theme that Link and co can't beat him without cheating somewhat whether its through great fairies or sky spirits. 

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Volga always had it that he wanted to fight strong warriors which he shares with Lu Bu. And the most iconic thing about him is ''Do not persue Lu Bu'' which we can see in Volga. Its a recurring theme that Link and co can't beat him without cheating somewhat whether its through great fairies or sky spirits. 

It's not anywhere close to as well done however, and that trait is only used like once as mentioned. He's just a regular general everywhere else. Not to mention he's pretty easily chased off in the tutorial of the game.

Lu Bu is always a potential threat. Volga is not nor is Volga the most broken character in the game.

Edited by Jedi