January/February Events Calendar: New Special Heroes Theme? Oh my!

Coolmanio

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So, am I the only one that doesn't mind these two special banners? Sure, I'd like more new heroes too, but I don't mind these kinds of alts either. I do dislike throwing alts into new hero banners though.

But so long as these two banners don't do something dumb/boring (like the aforementioned lunar new year since we already celebrated a new year), and they don't rehash a lot of the same characters that they've already given a bunch of alts to, I'm cool with this.

No, I don't mind them at all, either~ Special Banners are really the only ones I pull on besides Legendaries since they're limited~ Rarely do I go for a New Hero since I can get them at any point~ I'm fine with Alts (but prefer to see them on characters that don't have 4-5 already like Lyn and Azura even if I like those characters)~

On the contrary, though, I would love to see a Lunar New Year Banner~ It's a different holiday from our New Year so I think it'd be pretty fun to see what Heroes does with it, but I'm really up for any theme~

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So, am I the only one that doesn't mind these two special banners? Sure, I'd like more new heroes too, but I don't mind these kinds of alts either. I do dislike throwing alts into new hero banners though.

But so long as these two banners don't do something dumb/boring (like the aforementioned lunar new year since we already celebrated a new year), and they don't rehash a lot of the same characters that they've already given a bunch of alts to, I'm cool with this.

The only problem with 2 special bannes is the story. Like, Alfonse as is after Chapter 3 and we will be having festivals? Feels weird. That and the "nine days" thing will be stretched to over a month and if there's something that can ruin Book 3's story, that is good so far, is bad pacing and huge timegaps between updates.

7 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

No, I don't mind them at all, either~ Special Banners are really the only ones I pull on besides Legendaries since they're limited~ Rarely do I go for a New Hero since I can get them at any point~ I'm fine with Alts (but prefer to see them on characters that don't have 4-5 already like Lyn and Azura even if I like those characters)~

On the contrary, though, I would love to see a Lunar New Year Banner~ It's a different holiday from our New Year so I think it'd be pretty fun to see what Heroes does with it, but I'm really up for any theme~

Yeah, they're the ones I spend money on, for the most part. I don't really spend on the other banners because those units get added to the regular pool, as you implied.

1 minute ago, RexBolt said:

The only problem with 2 special bannes is the story. Like, Alfonse as is after Chapter 3 and we will be having festivals? Feels weird. That and the "nine days" thing will be stretched to over a month and if there's something that can ruin Book 3's story, that is good so far, is bad pacing and huge timegaps between updates.

Yeah, I guess I can see that. The timing is kinda weird.

I mind increasing the number of special banners. I'd be fine with a new Special Heroes theme in one of the nine existing slots, but increasing the number to ten is even more excessive than it already was, and raises concerns of how much more it could increase in the future.

Right now, I really want more Tellius and Jugdral banners. I wasn't expecting the late January banner to be one of them, but I expected it to take care of some other inevitable stuff they'd have to compete for space with, like 3DS beasts. So skipping that feels like a slap in the face.

Having too many special banners really fucks up the pacing of the story. During the summer months when book 2 was running, I got really uninvested in the story and kind of forgot what was even going on because we just didn't have story for quite some time then. Likewise, any tension or suspense that the game tries to build kind of fizzles out if you're forced to wait, like, a month for the next entry in the story. And it's not like there's a LOT of story in one update, or like it's really good either. So it's just frustrating.

I guess another thing is that we really need more new heroes banners rather than special heroes banners. There are a lot of characters, relatively popular characters at that, who are not in the game. And the game isn't even good about giving alts to characters who actually need them or haven't gotten one. That's why I'm not super crazy about a collaboration banner at this point. Sure, you can have your collaboration -- ONLY if you get a decent number of FE characters into the game first. Tellius has only started to get decent representation with the laguz, and Thracia literally only has six characters.

Edited by Sunwoo

1 hour ago, RexBolt said:

There is a simple explanation for this, the planet Helosemberu has a different day length than one on planet Earth. One day there is 58 Earth days 15 hours and 30 minutes. They've plenty of time.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I don't want any crossovers because there's SO MANY FE characters that haven't been added. There is NO reason to dip into other things when there's so many FE characters.

Agreed. I'd be fine if this game went super alt and collabs heavy in the final year and half, but only on the grounds they'd have almost everyone in by then.

But two years in, this game is still missing large amounts of characters. Even if we write off a lot of "deadweight", we're still missing enormous amounts of characters. Fates is still missing over twenty characters- the favored child of FEH! FEs 7, 8, and 13 still have over twenty left as well. There are forty-two FE6ers, and even more Telliusians. We could likely say there are over twenty Archaneans of noteworthiness excluded, and I could likely muster twenty Thracians, and twenty Genealogists, mixing the two generations together, who deserve entry too. The remaining fourteen Valentians, and however many Fodlanian younglings pop out of IS's womb later this year, which should be at least in the thirties, more likely the forties, and with major villains and NPCs, could reach nearly sixty.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Honestly kind of looking forward to see what the Valentine's Day special will be. They did a great job last year. Very pleased. I should use the Eliwood more, but the Hector I still use on my main team. Barely used Lyn. Hoping that most of them aren't armored units though :P Not sure who it will be this year or if they'll stick to a single series. They just did a RD banner so I doubt it'd be that game, but I'd enjoy seeing them again. Ephraim and Eirika were Christmas, so I doubt SS will be it either. Hmm, could be anyone really. Maybe SD? It'd be nice to see a Minerva seasonal alt.

I don't care for Fire Emblem crossovers because all the fire emblem content we've gotten since January 2017 are collaborations, crossovers, and remakes. The magic is lost. Ask me again how I feel about crossover content in FEH after Three Houses. A game that I'm not holding my breath we'll be playing within the next six months.

17 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

After Monster Hunter World collab with Final Fantasy I doubt we will have another one for that game. We will get stuff like Geralt instead. 

Behemoth was a special case because the producers for Monster Hunter: World and Final Fantasy WhateverNumberTheCurrentOnlineGameIs are old friends of each other. The Monster Hunter series gets a lot of collaboration content, but this was the first time it got a collaboration monster in the main series and probably the last time for a long time due to the special circumstances.

As for Heroes, with how much shit gets flung about how slowly new characters are added to the game, I don't think it's the right time to be considering collaboration content.

So, uh, apparently the latest tap battle accessory is a plate of "steamed buns". Its description says it's a delicacy from a Hoshidan hot spring, and it's filled with bean jam.

I might be overthinking it, but I think this may give stronger credence to the assumption that the coming seasonal is Lunar New Year.

6 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

So, uh, apparently the latest tap battle accessory is a plate of "steamed buns".

Xander: “Why is there smoke coming out of your stove, Ryoma?”

8 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

I might be overthinking it, but I think this may give stronger credence to the assumption that the coming seasonal is Lunar New Year.

Without Hayato, Orochi, and Izana of course, the Chinese zodiac have no particular connection to them. 

Apparently this year is the Pig, wonder which of the zodiac if any would get repped by the alts? Certainly I'd think IS would like to rep the Dragon.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Without Hayato, Orochi, and Izana of course, the Chinese zodiac have no particular connection to them. 

Apparently this year is the Pig, wonder which of the zodiac if any would get repped by the alts? Certainly I'd think IS would like to rep the Dragon.

Could I get Genny as a sheep?  Since that is my Zodiac I would pull a bit for her if it does happen.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:08 AM, Sunwoo said:

So, uh, apparently the latest tap battle accessory is a plate of "steamed buns". Its description says it's a delicacy from a Hoshidan hot spring, and it's filled with bean jam.

Spoiler

The other Accessory is a Hot Spring Bucket, so I think it definitely has something to do with hot springs at the minimum

Spoiled because it's technically still datamine info~

Edited by Landmaster

On 1/15/2019 at 1:08 AM, Sunwoo said:

Steamed buns are a staple of hot springs, not Lunar New Year. Considering the Tap Battle this time still uses the Hoshidan background, it can be assumed we're just getting more hot springs things.

30 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wait, why is this Tap Battle called a Nohr themed event if it's actually using Hoshidan themed stuff?

Because the enemies are Nohrian. And Hoshidan hot springs are clearly superior to Nohrian bath houses.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Because the enemies are Nohrian. And Hoshidan hot springs are clearly superior to Nohrian bath houses.

I see. Still rather weird to me, but okay. xP

42 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wait, why is this Tap Battle called a Nohr themed event if it's actually using Hoshidan themed stuff?

Because the Nohrians are the worst kind of tourists. 

First they hog the beach and now they've taken over their hosts bathouse.

Edited by Nanima

Hm, fair enough on that. I remember that previous tap battle accessories were somewhat related to the special banner that was running alongside them, so I thought maybe the following special heroes banner would be related to the current accessories.

It is a bit empty but for the better as I am completely broken right now. I will just pray I pull some good freebies.

Also is the lunar year the Chinese new year? I got a little confused, if that's the case then I want another colourless dragon. Will we get silhouettes for the banner? 

Edited by SuperNova125

2 hours ago, SuperNova125 said:

Also is the lunar year the Chinese new year? I got a little confused, if that's the case then I want another colourless dragon. Will we get silhouettes for the banner? 

Correct. The Lunar New Year being discussed is the Chinese New Year.

Although technically speaking, the Chinese New Year is a Lunisolar calendar. Which is to say it uses the Moon for its months, but it tries to keep its months aligned with the Seasons, so all Januaries are cold, and all Julys are hot, which means keeping it in line with the Earth's orbiting of the Sun. This is done via intercalary days and months- days added every so often to keep things roughly aligned. And this is why, when put against a pure Solar calendar, like the Gregorian, the exact day of the Chinese New Year's wobbles every year, but only to an extent, you'll never see it happen in April.

The Jewish calendar is also Lunisolar.

For a pure Lunar calendar, see the Islamic one. There, the major holidays, like the literal month of Ramadan, can take place any time on the Gregorian, it can be in February, or it can be in August. A pure Lunar calendar has no relation to the Seasons, which would be very important somewhere fertile and that gets very distinct seasons- like China and Europe, since it'd help you figure out when to plant crops. The Islamic calendar originated in a part of the world where the Seasons are not so distinctive, the Arabian Peninsula in the Winter will be to some extent different than it in the Summer, but you won't be seeing withered trees and mounds of snow and subzero temperatures vs. full foliage and scorching heat. So there is some possible logical reasoning why Islam chose Lunar over Lunisolar and Solar, ignoring a quip or two from the Quran and or a Hadith that mandated/supported the choice. Calendars on that note are partly a cultural choice, besides being a utilitarian choice as alluded to above.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer